Start by marking “MindWar” as Want to Read:

(Nick Hall #3)

Nick Hall returns in a riveting stand-alone thriller, set in a stunning future that is rapidly approaching.

From the NY Times bestselling author whose books have been downloaded over a million times.

Nick Hall has revolutionary electronics implanted in his brain that allow him to read minds--including thoughts, memories, and even intent. He can know the passwords, future str
Published October 18th 2016 by Paragon Press

To ask other readers questions about MindWar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MindWar

Start your review of MindWar
Douglas Richards
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi. Once again, this isn't a review, I just wanted to alert my review followers that my new novel, MindWar, is now available on Amazon. If you decide to read it, I hope that you will enjoy it :)
Tulay
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story.

Read all the books in this series, though long long time while reading. Some parts were controversial, but interesting. Author does a lot of research before, internet and what technology can do important, but this also putting our lives in danger too. Mind reading, ESP, video recording glass or contact lenses are in our future. Like Amazon knows what I like to read, or how many cats I have.
Karen Sikora Toronyi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very bring. I stopped reading after about 30% in. Very poorly written. It sounded like something I would write.
Charmagne Quenan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not his best, but still entertaining.

Not my favorite Richards book, but entertaining, nonetheless. The heroes seemed a little too perfect, and the bad guys a little too cartoonish. While I usually enjoy stretching the limits of technology for the story, this one seemed a little too implausible.
Daniel Kincaid
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It takes a lot of skill, imagination and creativity to keep a series about mind readers fresh and engaging, with lots of twists and turns- and Douglas E. Richards is one skillful, imaginative, creative author.

The third entry in the Nick Hall series sees Nick and his team not only racing to stop a horrifying terrorist act, but also dealing with new threats, ones that Nick was afraid would come alive: an act of betrayal by one of his team members leads to a shocking turn of events, where in one a
Preston
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first two books, but this one seemed to be a little lacking. I think there was too many moving parts in this one, and the author couldn't successfully develop all the pieces. There were numerous plot holes, and the twist in the last few chapters left me, the reader, feeling less than gratified. I always hate it when authors leave openings for their next books

Updated on 15 October 2018:

Since I had read this book over the course of a month, I had forgotten a few minor details that ir
Carol Martin
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great end to a 3 book series, maybe, I hope, not the last!

I always find it fascinating that authors can come up with riveting stories, especially in a series. This is (hopefully & seemingly not) the last in a borderline sci-fi that may become our future world.

In it people will be able to access the Internet directly through our brains, & maybe throw in a little mind reading to spice life up. This series was compelling in many ways. Complicated plots of a single hero who received brain implants
Susanne Blackledge
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mind readers

Wow! Your mind is a beautiful thing. Scary on the near future fronts, but brilliant nonetheless. I’m still thinking about having this ability thrust upon me. I would crumble under the weight. I’m strong minded and of will. That being said, I would have to go to ground. I have more empathy than most. I’m fairly certain I couldn’t bare all the ugliness that people hide. I wouldn’t be concerned about being read myself. Not much to hide. I’ve always been an open book. Speaking blunt to
Donny Bui
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Twist and turns you do and don't expect. What more do you want from a series you are familiar with and understand yet twist continue to entertain. Keep on surprising, enjoying and requiring me to attempt to get a step ahead but be a back step behind. When I think I have it something exciting accords. Keeping me on my toes and attempting to foresee the plot is exiting engaging and fulfilling. Thanks.

Worth the continuation of the series. No disappointment. Will wait for the sequel and Amazon's del
Diane Peterson
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mind War

An absolutely amazing book. I was unable to put this book down. It is expertly researched and anyone interested in neuroscience and/or technology will find it fascinating. Also with the current political, economic and international affairs of the world, I believe this novel would be of interest to just about everyone at this point, especially with the current administration and crisis of terror, immigration etc.
Bob Weiner
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it but not quite as much as the two previous Nick Hall titles

I've read all of Douglas Richards' novels because the scientific approach he has taken is a bit unusual and one I find quite intriguing. I gave MindWar 4 stars because I found the plot a bit more forced and contrived than I'm accustomed to enjoying in his work. Also not so fond of the clear setup to book 4; defeats the notion of a stand-alone story.
Joseph Grant
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent in every aspect.

Once again the author has not only been thoroughly enjoyed but I'm impressed by the quality of his writing. Again, it is a must read for anyone that wants to see where the future just might be heading. Sci-fi uncannily has the potential to become the future. Just a note to the author, this better not be the last in the series. There is to much left hanging at the end.
Steve
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book concludes in a way that suggests there might be a book 4 in the series. But given how long it has been since this edition was released, that appears questionable. Either way, this was a fantastic addition to the series. If we only get a trilogy, it's a fantastic set of books that I'm happy to recommend to any even remotely interested in the summary provided on Amazon. Each book delivers the goods.
Marilyn
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love all the twists and turns Douglas has put in this book. He is very clever. I have no idea how he kept track of everything. I have read 6 of his books now. I liked everyone. This one is up there as one of my favorites. The action, mind wars and thrilling escapes kept me glued to the pages.
Keep up the great work.
Aimee D. Norris
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good read from this author

This is the third Nick Hall book I've read and I love how the characters have developed over time. At first it seems pure science fiction that someone could read minds, but after reading the books, you start thinking " well, ok, maybe". I enjoyed thinking of the possibilities but also glad it most likely won't occur during my lifetime.
doris garritt
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointed

Third in this series, first two were fast paced and intriguing but unfortunately this book felt like a rehash with superfluous gore. The more we know about our hero and his team the less I like them. Instead of continuing to flesh out the secondary characters they were two dimensional
RobF15E
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Favorite author, bar none. His writing is crisp, clear, intriguing and informative. There are never editing errors or plot holes and his physics is plausible and best of all, he sources all of it in the back so folks can learn more about the science if they so choose. I have read all his books and you can apply this review to all of them.
Maury Breecher
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Best of Douglas ?E Richards Nick ?Hall Books

Surprised and cliffhangers galore. Not one but three awesome villains, four of you count Doctor's adult super-intelligent son. Two other mind-readers, both of whom go or appear to be rogue. . One who turns into an ally. Will he continue to be in the obvious hopefully soon to appear sequels? can't wait for them to appear.
Alexis
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 stars. I enjoyed this the best of the books I think. I liked the characters. I like how you never know if a prominent character is going to bite it. And while the raging psycopaths (or is it sociopaths) always seem to be a touch too much, they are quite entertaining! They make me laugh. So, is this really the last book?
Steven Trepeck
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic near future novel by Richards

Another fantastic near future novel by Richards.
Added suspense and thrilling twists abound in this 3rd Nick Hall story of mind reading and mind web searching. Read all three starting with Minds Eye, then Brain Web and then this one, you won't be disappointed.
Page Craw
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Complex Sci-Fi Thriller

Set in the 2020s, meaning in our day, the science advancing the plot is only slightly beyond what is credible presently. The last of the trilogy, I hope this isn’t a farewell to Nick Hall and Megan, his bright and courageous partner. All three volumes have been immensely engrossing.
Wilbur G. Lloyd, Jr.
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Damn! There needs to be a book 4.

I loved all 3 of them but wish there was a book 4. If you haven't read the first 2 don't worry, you won't be to lost. I recommend reading the first 2 in order written, if you do you can skip over some paragraphs where he covers stuff you missed by not reading them.
Michael
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very enticing and thought provoking story!

The author has done his homework and created another page-turner! I eagerly await the next in the series, as this story leaves many possibilities open for exploration!
David Garza
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great thriller!

Douglas Richards creates another great installment in the Nick Hall series. Great sci tech and characters. Fun read from start to finish. Like all of his books this is definitely worth your time and money to read.
Nancy M Davis
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Good, but a hit longish

More Superman, but with an unnecessarily large number of twists and turns. A new crisis every chapter? I have enjoyed the books, but think this one's too long. Everyone has an opinion, right? Word, word word. word word word word word
Patricia Carney
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MindWar

I've completed the trilogy of Nick Hall books. I like the way Doug weaves his stories around the latest news and advances in technology, which is the main reason for the 5-star rating. Looking forward to reading more books by Douglas Richards.
Nikhil
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Nice extension to the second book. I absolutely love this series. Plot is excellent, but more than the plot, the intelligence of the characters is mind blowing. Strategies and counter-strategies are worth reading it. I couldn't put down the book after 60%
Jawaun McClain
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thought inducing read

thrilling read start to finish of course. But the main selling point of this series is how it forces you to think about the actual possibilities that are and will become available through technology.
Walt Mccluskey
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mind war

As engaging as either of the other books in this series and more interesting in the traps and ethical quandaries presented by the bad guys. The opening of Pandora's box is believable and I look forward to the author's ideas for where to take the characters next.
Michael Bromberg
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast Read

A well told story; good characters.

Until I read notes from the author at the end of the book I was comfortable with mind reading as a fictional vehicle; now I worry that this may be all to real in my grandchildren 's lifetime.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Phenomena
  • Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • Augmented
  • New Eden
  • The Last Monument
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Extinction Countdown
  • The Genesis Conspiracy
  • Quantum Incident (Quantum, #0.5)
  • Fractured Earth (Ascension Wars Book 3)
  • Prelude to Extinction
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Second Encounter (The Series Finale) (Ascension Wars Book 4)
  • Zeroglyph
  • Revelation: Ascendancy: Book 1
  • The Triton Disaster
Douglas E. Richards was born on May 7th, 1962. He grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents and his sister, Pam. He went to Finneytown High School, and then graduated with a degree in microbiology from Ohio State University, a master's degree in molecular biology from the University of Wisconsin, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Douglas now lives

Nick Hall (3 books)
  • Mind's Eye
  • BrainWeb

News & Interviews

“Any idea what ingredient—you know, other than sex—is the most important in achieving true happiness?” “I have a feeling it’s not money,” said Alvarez. “That would be too obvious.” “You’re right. Money helps, up to a point, but one of the real keys is to avoid boredom, to challenge oneself. People are most content when they’re growing.” 0 likes
“When they’re accomplishing goals, working hard to achieve something difficult and then achieving it.” Victor paused. “But most important of all is a person’s social network. The quality of relationships. Friends, relatives, co-workers, and so on. Emotional connections. I have these, especially when it comes to you and Lucas, but to many other of the men and women who work for me as well. ESP would ruin this. Only a psychopath who has no need for any social relationships would covet a power like this.” He raised his eyebrows. “And I’m only a sociopath.” “What’s” 0 likes