Start by marking “The Best Friend” as Want to Read:
The Best Friend

The Best Friend

Toxic school mums, money worries, paranoia, and murder... The Best Friend is a chilling psychological thriller from the Bestselling Author of The Girl from the Sea.

They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer ... Wrong.

Louisa's new best friend has it all - the house, the status, the money. But she's also hiding a dark secret. And as Louisa is drawn deeper in
Published October 20th 2016 by Adrenalin Books

Berit☀️✨
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
Well now... This was one crazy twisty story that kept me on the edge throughout!

with friends like this, who needs enemies?

This was a fast paced intense story that I finished in a matter of hours... and it’s a good thing I did, because I think I was holding my breath throughout this entire book! Shalini Boland you never fail to amaze me! and if I’m being honest frighten me a bit as well, I can only imagine what goes on in that brain of yours!

Luisa has a lovely life, a loving husband, an adorable
Malia
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I have been reading all of Shalini Boland's books in recent weeks, and this was the last one available. Like the others, it is fast paced and engaging, a good holiday read (which is what is was for me). However, I did feel the story was a little predictable and repetitive at times. I would probably recommend her other books over this one, though it certainly wasn't bad.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Holly
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
First of all, I want to thank the author for contacting me to see if I wanted to read and review her book. After I read, The Girl from the Sea, and absolutely loving it, I didn't hesitate to say yes!

Although I didn't like this one as much as the other, I still enjoyed it and have become a fan of Shalini Boland. After Louisa's son begins going to a new school, she befriends one of the other mom's, Darcy. They soon become fast friends but something seems off. Its not obvious at first but then Loui
Lee
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louisa and Jared enroll their son Joe into an expensive private school believing this will be a perfect environment for Joe to grow and develop in. Louisa becomes friends with one of the mums, Darcy. Darcy seems to have it all, the perfect home, perfect husband and perfect friends and soon becomes a constant in Louise's life. As time moves on Louisa becomes suspicious of some of Darcy's behaviour and it soon becomes obvious that there is more to Darcy than meets the eye. Louisa's life soon becom ...more
i.
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like reading about toxic people and harmful friendships, you will love this book. The author describes the main traits of a toxic woman perfectly and also the isolation and fear felt by her victim.

Besides it has a satisfying ending that will please anybody who has unfortunately been in contact with high levels of toxicity and frenemies. I read it in no time, holding my breath and exhaling in relief at the end.

I strongly recommend it to those toxic people who think they can get away with
Mark
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Louisa is thrilled
She has a new friend
Darcy
Darcy is rich, elegant, has connections and is popular
She is also a psychopath/sociopath, either/or, take your choice
And wants Louisa dead
At any cost

Why? Well that would ruin the story, and what a story it is...this fine dining of psychological thrillers had me tense from the first few pages right up until the last sentence
Shalini Boland writes fabulous books and I am soooo glad I didn’t miss this re-issued ( by Bookouture ) treat
The main baddie Darcy h
Rachael
When Louisa enrols her son at private school she feels out of place until she is taken under the wing of the glamorous Darcy. In Louisa's view, Darcy has the perfect life and everything that anyone could want. Darcy uses her money and influence to help Louisa and her Husband, but then the cracks start appearing and Louisa feels,wrong-footed at every turn, is Darcy everything she seems?

This was a hard book to rate. It's a little silly and overblown. Louisa is incredibly naive and her husband is a
Susanne  Strong
The Best Friend is a new mystery by Shalini Boland (the author the Girl from the Sea, which I liked a lot). Louisa meets beautiful, chic Darcy at her son Joe's new school. Darcy seems to have the perfect life: a great life, a well adjusted son, a successful husband and beautiful home along with an amazing blog. In comparison, Louisa (a newspaper columnist who is happily married with a child of her own) can't help but feel like her life is less than glamorous. When Darcy befriends her, she can't ...more
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Oooo! I loved this! Very good thriller. I have begun to believe I could and would enjoy anything written by Ms. Boland.

The opening (preface) states this (which grabbed my attention right away):
"They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer...Wrong."

Also adding: "Louisa's new friend has it all - the house, the status, the money - But she's also hiding a dark secret. And, as Louisa is drawn deeper into her friend's life, events take a chilling turn..."

I'll say!

Louisa's son starts
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
A gripping stand alone novel after the success of The Girl From The Sea. I couldn't put this one down and finished it in less than a day.

When Louise is introduced to the stunning, successful Darcy Lane she is in awe of her beauty, her beach side home and her family. Darcy and her husband can't be more welcoming to Louise and her partner. By comparison, the Lanes have it all. Or do they...?

I enjoyed the character of Louise and felt she was a well developed character. Her thoughts and actions wer
Angela
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-requests
WOW – this one of the most tense and gripping psychological thrillers I've read. From the first page I was absorbed into Louisa's life – how she kept seeing the same man across the road, outside the school gates and following her home. Louisa and Jared have just put their son, Joe, into a new school and Louisa is so pleased that Joe has found a new friend, Tyler, and that he seems to be settling and fitting in to his new school. Louisa is even more pleased when Tyler's mum, Darcy, asks her to jo ...more
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Louise having just moved to the area is delighted to make a new friend in Darcy. Over time though, like Louisa, I found myself questioning just how good a friend Darcy actually is.

This is one of those stories where the build up of tension is just electrifying. I could hardly sit still as I waited for things to unfold before me. The more I got to see, the more I became to dislike Darcy and not trust her one bit. Just like Louisa, sadly though even her own husband doesn’t believe her when she star
Melissa
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Utterly predictable and formulaic. Sloppy and disconnected as far as the timeline of events making any sense. (I'll leave it there to avoid spoilers.)
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
I love books that start off with a bang. It keeps you interested at the beginning and wanting more. And so this book by Boland (not the first time I read her, or the last) started off with Louisa, her husband and son Joe, living a great life now that Joe is in a good school. They are not rich, but comfortable and then along comes Darcy, Tyler's mom, (Tyler is in the same class as Joe). They become friends, very quickly, maybe too quickly and then things go south.

Darcy and her rich friends welcom
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Badger
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Kid: Mom, can I spend the night at this complete stranger's house?

Mom: Well...I guess it's ok. After all, she's got $500 highlights. Maybe your dad should start running with her...alone...in the evenings...for three hours.

Where could it go wrong?
Bill Kupersmith
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me-emma
One of my favourite story plots is the unequal friendship. Two I have enjoyed are Harriet Lane’s Her and Joyce Maynard’s Under the Influence, and that was why I chose The Best Friend for my travelling audible. Louise’s son Joe was quite happy in his state school but his mum was concerned they weren’t teaching him how to read and write so sends him to a private school she and her husband can barely afford. At the school gates - the favourite place for mums to meet - Louise encounters the wealthy ...more
Alissa Haley
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank Shalini Boland for providing me with a digital copy!

Okay, that was so enjoyable! Ever heard the phrase 'keep your friends close, enemies closer?' According to this novel it's your best friend that you need to keep your eye on! Don't think me a horrible person, but I am an absolute sucker for super manipulative antagonists. It honestly cracked me up how easily and nonchalantly this protagonists life was being destroyed, and how ignorant those around her were. While at times I fo
Kath Middleton
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louisa and Jared have recently enrolled their son Joe in an expensive private school, all worth it as he's happy and thriving there. It's at school that Louisa meets his best friend Tyler and his mum, Darcy. Darcy Lane is rich, popular and generous and invites Joe to sleepovers and Louisa and Jared go meals. Is she too good to be true?

I read this with sneaking misgivings about Louisa's new best friend. Little things slip. Is she really as generous and well disposed as Louisa first thought? It's
Diana
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louise and her husband Jared have just put their son Joe into a new school, where he is adapting fast and making nice friends, like Tyler. Tyler's mother, Darcy, befriends Louise, who is happy to find new friends in the area and is surprised by all the surprises this nice and rich woman is giving away to them. But sooner rather than latter things began to seem weird and unravel...

The narrative is superb, the plot consistent and the characters very well fleshed out. This is a gripping thriller th
Alicia Huxtable
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shalini Boland has entered the suspense genre with a bang with this book. The suspense is slow building so the readers mind goes into speculation mode trying to work out where the story is going. A very enjoyable read with a great ending
Terry  (TBC)
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Creeping into another's life. Money, house the lot. But isn't is it?
Shalini has delivered a great book here.
Not a long review as I'd spoil it if I did, no spoilers, read it!
I need to add I read it a 2nd time & it's just a fab book!
Twisted lead female you just get dragged in!
Sarah Joint
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louisa and Jared have recently started sending son Joe to a new school. It's more exclusive and private. Joe is loving it, but they are struggling with adapting to the new environment and paying the tuition. When fellow mother Darcy reaches out to Lousia, she's pleased to find someone who isn't like the other aloof parents. She's beautiful, rich, and stylish, but friendly and generous. They click immediately. She and her husband even want to help Jared out with a new business venture, one even L ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
The best friend by Shantini Bolland is a thriller read.
They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer . . . Wrong.
Louisa’s new best friend has it all – the house, the status, the money – but she’s also hiding a dark secret. And, as Louisa is drawn deeper into her friend’s life, events take a chilling turn .
OMG what a read. Absolutely fantastic read. I loved the story and the characters well except darcy. I had a funny feeling about her. This had me on the edge of my seat. Can't wai
Natasha du Plessis
This is the first book by Shalini Boland that I have read. Even though I don't like it when authors write in the first person I quickly became engrossed in this book. This book is like your worst nightmare coming true. There were times when the suspense was killing me and I could not read fast enough and times that I felt this is it for the main character something bad is going to happen to her.

A great story that I would recommend to all readers of psychological thillers as this book will keep y
Stevie Turner
Louisa and Jared want the best for their son Joe and enrol him in an expensive private school. One of the mothers, Darcy, quickly befriends Louisa. Louisa cannot help being suspicious about why Darcy is seemingly her best friend after only one week. However, she goes along with it, especially when Darcy's husband Mike loans Jared a prime riverside property rent free for a year for his new advertising business.

The first 75% of the book I found quite gripping, and it kept my interest. However, I f
Faouzia
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank the author for giving me this Advance Copy in exchange of an honest review.

This is the second book i read by Shalini Boland and i was thrilled because i liked the first book very much and i was curious about this one. And it was worth waiting for. I enjoyed it a lot!

Louisa Sullivan has a new friend,Darcy Lane, a very glamorous mum, rich, beautiful and has a life to die for. In fact, she had it all. Both their sons go to the same school and they start this new, sweet friends
Randee
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, kindle
This is the type of story that is hard for me to gather my thoughts and communicate what I thought. I have an inordinate fondness for a certain type of 'cheesy' story about females. I love films from the 1930's approximately through the 1950's. Films that often starred Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Gene Tierney, Loretta Young, Joan Crawford, Kathryn Hepburn, Myrna Loy, Rita Hayworth....I could go on and on. They were great actresses that were often in great films, but they all also appeared in ...more
Pat
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cracking psychological thriller.

Louisa and Jared have moved their son to a new, expensive school and they are soon befriended by Darcy and Michael Lane and their son Tyler. The Lanes are a rich and successful couple and Louisa can't help feeling a bit shabby next to the glamorous Darcy. But she is so friendly and helpful, how could you not like her? Michael helps Jared set up his new advertising agency and the two boys are great friends. Everything is wonderful - or not!

Little things start to
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brthebestfriend
Finished reading: October 12th 2016
Rating 4,5qqq

“You can't write the script to your life. You can't say, if I do this and this, then all these things will definitely happen. Life doesn't work that way.”

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
  • Foreteller
  • Black Monday (Stan Turner, #6)
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Void
  • Frailty
  • The Ruined Wife
  • The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
  • Sick Girl
  • Lying With Strangers
  • Malignant
  • Body and Bone
  • Until I Met Her (Emma Fern, #1)
  • Everything You Told Me
  • The Devil's Work
  • Death By Dangerous
  • My Second Death
  • The Paper Year (Piper Adler, #1)
Hello :) I write suspense thrillers and dark adventures, and I live in Dorset, England with my husband, two children and our dog. I only write reviews for books I enjoy!

*** Be the first to hear about my NEW THRILLER RELEASES here: http://eepurl.com/b4vb45 ***

*** Join up to get FREE eBOOK DEALS here: http://www.ebooksoda.com ***

Now available:
THE BEST FRIEND - a chilling psychological thriller
THE GI
“Please ask her to leave us alone.” 0 likes
“It seems the harder I try to hold onto everything, the more it’s slipping away.” 0 likes