Start by marking “The Swimming Holes of Texas” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Nothing beats a natural swimming hole for cooling off on a scorching summer day in Texas. Cold, clear spring water, big old shade trees, and a quiet stretch of beach or lawn offer the perfect excuse to pack a cooler and head out with family and friends to the nearest natural oasis. Whether you're looking for a quick getaway or an unforgettable summer vacation, let The Swim ...more
Published May 16th 2017 by University of Texas Press

To ask other readers questions about The Swimming Holes of Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swimming Holes of Texas

Lynn Poppe
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pack the sunscreen, load the car with friends and family, and head to the nearest swimming hole. The Swimming Holes of Texas is a great reference guide for planning your next trip.
Swimming Holes is organized by location and includes maps! There are so many swimming holes near Austin that it warrants it’s own section. The location sections and maps are a great help for pointing out where the various swimming holes are located in relation to where you are. I’m sure those swimming holes on the west
Belle Whittington
Enter to Win a copy of this book on my blog: https://booksandbroomsticks.blogspot....

Growing up in Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas, afforded my siblings, childhood friends, and me long lazy days of exploring the Texas Piney Woods and splashing in hidden swimming holes that were tucked beneath the shady reaches of our corner of the Great Piney Woods of East Texas.

Summertime in Nacogdoches is magic. So, when I was offered the chance to review a book titled SWIMMING HOLES OF TEXAS, I dove at
Michelle Lancaster
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
TRAVEL/NATURE
Julie Wernersbach and Carolyn Tracy
University of Texas Press
Paperback, 978-1-4773-1237-7, (also available as an e-book), 256 pgs., $21.95
May 16, 2017

“It’s the middle of July. Bank marquees and car thermometers clock another 104 day. Air conditioners moan. Brooklyn transplants weep.”

The Swimming Holes of Texas by Texas Book Festival literary director Julie Wernersbach, with photography by Carolyn Tracy, is the forty-fourth volume in the University of Texas
Lorilei Gonzales
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is what I never knew I needed. A few summers ago I tried to remember the name of that awesome swimming hole from my college years at UT, and it took a while to find it. Between Google and Yelp, I eventually did. But a book like this is exactly what I needed. No more scrolling through poorly written and incomplete reviews (if they exist at all) on Yelp.

True to guidebook form, this one is clearly organized with the park or swimming hole's name, address, phone number, and web address. Bel
Tangled in Text
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Swimming Holes of Texas is a must have field guide for people looking for a place to take a quick dip in the scorching hot Texas summers. After thumbing through a few pages I decided to see how much it would grab my husbands attention since he is the outdoorsy type. Needless to say, he has already planned out numerous weekend trips for our family to do throughout this summer.

Swimming Holes of Texas is extremely informative; listing park fees, hours, rules, fun facts and things you can do wh
Tabatha The Librarian Pope
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A Must-Have, So-Much-More-Than a Guide Book – helping Texan families survive the summer (and learn a little too).

I absolutely loved The Swimming Holes of Texas. Of course, majoring in geography and being a “fun fact” junkie might make me a bit biased. The comprehensive information about each location, including historical, geographical and geological information, alongside the wonderful photography, serves the reader so much more deeply than the average “travel guide”.

As mentioned in the introd
Mariah
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite things about this book: my boyfriend is bookmarking destinations in it, it is organized by region, the photos are good, and it has insider tips.
Tracy