Start by marking “Mary's Song (Dream Horse Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Mary's Song (Dream Horse Adventures #1)

Mary's Song

(Dream Horse Adventures #1)

Enchanting tale of courage, love, loss, and hope. Don't tell anyone this is for children because I couldn't put it down.

Twelve-year-old Mary falls in love with a foal that is lame, just like her. The expensive surgery the foal needs has little chance to correct the problem. Still Mary plots and conspires to raise money to save the horse, even as time runs out. She sacrif
Published October 13th 2016 by Hastings Creations

To ask other readers questions about Mary's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary's Song

Start your review of Mary's Song (Dream Horse Adventures #1)
Jerecho
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Life doesn’t match, why should socks?” - my favorite line in the book.

Life is full of struggles. Maybe we are given a problem but we can't find the solution, yet. But also, life will always give choices. And when we choose we arrive at a decision closest to our heart. And when things go awry...

"If the worst comes to pass with Illusion, it’s still a bump in life’s road. No more. You hurt, you pray, you heal, and you move on.” - as the line say the next step is to move on...

Fiona Ingram
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary’s Song, Book One of the Dream Horse Adventures, by Susan Count is a charming story sure to delight young readers and animal (especially horse) lovers. Young Mary is disabled and life offers very little outlet for her creativity and intelligence. She is a very talented artist and loves horses. Her doting and overprotective widower father spends a lot of time and money on various therapies to try to get Mary back on her feet, walking, running, and leading a normal life. Mary has resigned hers ...more
Clare O'Beara
In 1950s America, a girl afflicted by a virus that made her unable to walk (we are not told details, but it doesn't seem to be polio) sits on her father's fine porch and wishes for a horse. Specifically, one of the Morgan foals next door, Illusion, which was born with a club foot. If Illusion could be treated and saved - which is by no means certain - maybe even a lonely girl like Mary could learn to walk as well.

The characterisation is finely done and we learn the strengths of determination, f
Christina
I adore the artwork on the cover of this book. The colors are soft and beautiful. This is the kind of story that’s good for the soul.

It’s the early 1950’s, and Mary cannot walk as a result of the Polio virus. Her dream is to walk again and to ride horses. Down the road from her house, there’s a horse farm. She sees foals play near the edge of her property and enjoys sketching them.

A friendship develops with Laura, whose family owns the horse farm. It is reminiscent of the friendship in Anne of G
Literary Soirée
Mary's Song, Book One of the Dream Horse Adventures, by Susan Count stole my heart with its moving story of a young girl and the lame foal she falls in love with. Faith, friendship and hope are woven throughout this inspiring tale I won’t soon forget. 5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for the ARC. Opinions are solely mine.

#Mary'sSong #NetGalley
Kristen Iten
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
I was pretty excited about reading this book, and it certainly did not disappoint! When I was a kid the ONLY books that I enjoyed reading were about horses. It was easy for me to identify with the main character in this story. She didn't have any practical experience with horses, but had tons of book knowledge - that's me! The story is compelling (I read it in two sessions), and the writing was excellent. Everything from her descriptions of horse behavior, to the terms used throughout the text m ...more
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ride Wild, Ride Free Texas, 1952. Twelve-year-old Mary has spent much of her young life in a wheelchair due to a virus that also took her mother’s life. Despite her disability, she has big dreams, and one of her favorite activities is drawing the horses that live in the neighboring fields. “Each sketch was a wish to ride, wild and free, someday.” She becomes friends with fellow horse lover, Laura, and together the two strive to fulfill their aspirations. Poignant and inspirational, “Mary’s Song” ...more
Elsie Stoltzfus

By Susan Count

I love horse stories, and this one was not a disappointment. Well written and engaging, it was a joy to read.

What knocked a star for me was the fact that everything turns out well only when Mary disobeys her father. I heartily dislike that, especially in a book meant for children. And I admit it, the portrayal of a super sensitive, slightly overbearing parent has never been attractive to me.

Other than that, I loved it! As I've said, it's engaging and fun, and more than
Brenda .
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know this was a kid's book but I like horses. :) Anyway I felt the writing was very disjointed and it was unsettling trying to read the book and it would use slang? that seemed modern day but yet the setting seemed 100 yrs in the past. And really wasn't much about the horse as it was about the girls. Plus the author would add in these weird dreams with no basis for them. Uggg I guess it was free so thankfully didn't pay for this.
Helen Hollick
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
"The story is about determination and friendship, and horses. "
Tonja Drecker
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full of warmth, faith, and love, this book leads through an engaging tale, which touches the heart and soul.

Mary adores horses and would love nothing more than to ride and train them, but since a fever has left her in a wheelchair unable to walk, she's not sure this dream can ever become a reality. Then she meets Laura, a girl her age from the neighboring farm who's family raises, breeds and shows horses. When the two decide to save a lame filly, the adventure begins.

This is a beautiful story in
Dawn
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Mary's Song is a sweet story about a disabled twelve-year-old girl, Mary, who makes friends with Laura, the girl next door. When Laura tells Mary that her favorite foal is probably going to be put down, Mary makes it her mission to save the foal. She doesn't understand how a lame horse can be considered worthless. Does that mean she's worthless because she's lame?

The characters
Patricia
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book free from NetGalley and the author for an honest review.
Heart-warming story about a girl who not only dreams of riding a horse but of just being able to walk. I have to admit that this book had me in tears several times, and yet I absolutely loved it. It is targeted toward young readers but I am sure adults will love it too, especially if they are horse lovers like I am. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
J Alyn
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story for young an not so young

I'm not so young. Let's just say The Black Stalion was pretty new when I devoured it and it's scccessors. I particularly liked the way Mary's faith was handled; the plot allows Mary to solve her own problems with God's support, but does not rely on Him. The story is believe- able, tension is good, and characters are well developed.
Liz
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful little book for the middle-school girl that loves horses and most of them do. It presents a great story of overcoming obstacles and adversity. A really nice message in an enjoyable book.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
When she was just four years old Mary lost her mother along with her ability to walk, both to a merciless virus. Now, at twelve years of age, she has come to silently endure her father’s well-intentioned efforts to help find a cure for her. One after another, she is subjected to a new ‘miracle treatment’, in hopes that she will someday walk again. Mary has all but lost hope that this will ever happen, but for her father’s sake she forges on, suffering a barrage of exhausting treatments.

With a
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, netgalley

Poignant and inspirational, “Mary’s Song” takes young readers
Barbara Ann
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary is a twelve-year-old handicapped young lady. Her mother died when she was three; no one wants to talk about it. Mary lives with her father and a housekeeper. The story is set in 1952. Her father constantly searches for a possible medical breakthrough to cure his daughter. Mary is strong-willed and determined. Her best friend, Laura, rides and cares for horses at her home. The girls become obsessed with saving a horse named Illusion who needs surgery. They find ways of earning money toward t ...more
chelle reads
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary is a disabled young girl who has big dreams to help a limp foal along with her best friend, Laura, and a never ending love. Determination, friendship and trust bring them to find a possible solution for the horse. Sometimes your destiny is to speak up for others.
I think the lovely ladies certainly show that in this book. Not only is the cover so beautifully designed, the content covers good role models and brave heroes who fall sometimes but get up the other. Delicate, tender, heartwarming
Susan
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mary is 12 years old and in a wheelchair as she can’t control her leg muscles. She often sits on the porch where she draws the horses in the next door neighbor’s pasture. She falls in love with a gorgeous red bay foal who is lame. When she finds out it is to be put down due to its lame leg, she decides she must save it. She has her friend, Laura helping her sell cookies and her horse books for sale at the fair. She doesn’t raise enough money. What will she do? I will let you discover all the oth ...more
Sandra Megyesi-hallas
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the things I love in a book.

This is a wonderful book for any animal lover, especially for a child or adult who has something in life they must overcome to fulfill their dreams. Guess that pretty much includes us all.

Live is full of goals which we must learn to pursue if we really want to achieve our goals. Life is not easy but it is truly very very good. Work, learn, enjoy, and laugh and trust God that he is pursuing His goal of helping us live the best life possible and joining us in an eve
Lieve Snellings
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story of hope and courage and never giving up.

Marie and Laura became dearest friends (and friends may wear different socks when they are together). Mary is sitting in a wheelchair. Her dad tries everything to help her walk again. And so does Laura.

They both love horses. They are excited that the Silver Medal at the Olympic Games went to a woman who is sitting in a wheelchair. For Mary and her friend this is clear Mary can dreaming to ride a horse one day. Together the girls moved mountains to
Theresa
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary has been left in a wheelchair by an awful disease and her father is willing to try every hair brained idea he hears to cure her.

They live next to a horse ranch and Mary loves horses, drawing horses especially one little foal.

That little foal is lame and the owner wants to put it down. The owner has a daughter named Laura who, along with Mary want to save the foal.

So the girls work hard together to save both Mary and the foal.

The story has a lot tense moments and some really sweet ones too.
Holly Lenz
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about a handicap girl and a foal

Mary's song is a sweet story about a handicap girl and a foal she is determined to save. This is a good story for young horse lovers.

I personally was irritated by the lead characters behavior at times, but she is a young girl, so it was perhaps understandable. I also wondered about the severity of the foal's condition. Club foot and an abscess are not life threatening conditions in my experience, but I am not a vet.

Overall this story is worthwhile r
Jennifer Robb
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
I'm much older than the target audience for this book. I guess most girls go through the stage of wanting a horse of their own.

The book seemed slow paced to me. I did like the friendship between Mary and Laura, though I didn't like that they got Mary into equine therapy without any adult's knowledge (except maybe Charlotte's, indirectly). I did admire Mary's heart for Illusion and her desire to save the horse.

I do think Mary's father was over-protective and that perhaps he got taken a few times
Michelle Kidwell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Susan Count
BooksGoSocial

Christian , Crafts & Hobbies
Pub Date 20 Oct 2016

I am reviewing a copy of Mary's Song through BooksGoSocial and Netgalley:

Mary is a twelve year old girl who falls in love with a foal whose lame just like her. The surgery only has a small chance of correcting the problem but Mary is determined to raise the money for the foal.

I give Mary's Song five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Allison M
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book lets people know that if you try hard enough you can get things done, and you can grow in your faith in God and become stronger. It also made me laugh really hard! It was super easy to read and only a few pages in I was hooked! It was super exciting the whole way through! - Anderson (age 9)
Audrey Rich
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Book for Horse Lovers

This is a feel good story about Mary, her friend Laura, and a foal named Illusion.

I liked it because of the message behind the story: we can do so much more if we just look for a solution.

This story is perfect for children who love horses.

Nancy Snyder
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book hoping I could recommend to others since there was a physically challenged main character...and horses too. But my thoughts: the plot was forced; too many things happening at once to be realistic; and father's reaction to Mary's disobedient was over the top.
Robin
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably a good book for a middle school girl. I just like to check out what horse stories are doing these days. Give me a good "The Black" book or something by Margurite Henry. Kid horse books are pretty lame any more.

• Winter of the Crystal Dances (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 1)
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Sirena
  • The Attic Tragedy
  • Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)
  • Horse Diaries #15: Lily
  • The Baby Otter Rescue (Animal Adventure Club 2)
  • A Pony for Christmas: A Montana Holiday Novella
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Reader (The LEGO NINJAGO MOVIE)
  • Annie: The Mysterious Morgan Horse (Morgan Horse Series, #5)
  • LEGO Ninjago Vol. 1: The Challenge of Samukai
  • Attack of the Nindroids (LEGO Ninjago Reader #8)
  • Charley's Horse
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Pirates Vs. Ninja (LEGO Ninjago Reader #6)
  • LEGO Ninjago: Chapter Book #6
Susan Count writes for the joy and entertainment of young readers. She is a best-selling, award winning author of the Dream Horse Adventures Series. Susan confesses to being overly fond of brownies, and horseback riding on forest trails. The Firefly Warriors Club was written for her three grandboys who wanted an adventure of their own. What’s a fairy grandmother to do, but wave her magic pen and c ...more

Dream Horse Adventures (4 books)
  • Selah's Sweet Dream (Dream Horse Adventures #2)
  • Selah's Painted Dream (Dream Horse Adventures Book 3)
  • Selah's Stolen Dream (Dream Horse Adventures Book 4)