Start by marking “Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten

Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten

Kindergarten has never been funnier with the launch of this new, strong-willed character, in the style of Ladybug Girl, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, and Bread and Jam for Frances.

Amanda Panda has BIG ideas for her first day of school. But when things don't go according to plan, and when a pesky girl in a pink bow decides to be her best friend, she walks out on kindergart
Published June 20th 2017 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten

Becky
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Amanda Panda's favorite color is brown. She wants to be a school bus driver when she grows up. She can run really fast, but only downhill. And she cannot wait to start kindergarten.

Premise/plot: Amanda has a plan for how to have a GREAT first day of school. But things don't go according to her plan. And when they don't she feels like QUITTING. Can this first day be saved--be redeemed?!

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the school setting and the friendship theme. A
Barbara
Amanda Panda eagerly awaits her first day of kindergarten and expects that all will go well. After all, she's rehearsed how things will go and even imagined how well she will be able to perform some of the activities. Things don't quite meet her expectations, starting with her big brother leaving her behind to hang out with his friends and then her encounter with Bitsy, a vivacious girl all bedecked in pink. Amanda suffers Bitsy in silence on the bus ride to school and tries to avoid her once th ...more
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another quick cute read!
Amanda
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit long but LOVED the MC and the artwork; would love to see more of this character! Loved her spunk! There was so much in this book for children to relate to; a great read.
Robin Raines-Bond
Kindergarten is not always what you expect, but it can still be good.
Tara
A little long and wordy, but good for an older child.
Casandria
My heart goes out to Amanda! Starting something new is hard!
School
Tasha
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Amanda knows just how she wants her first day of Kindergarten to go. She will print her name large on the blackboard, she will build the tallest tower, and she will run faster than everyone else. But when she gets to Kindergarten, it doesn’t go exactly as planned. Amanda’s favorite color is brown, but another girl dressed all in pink won’t leave Amanda alone. In fact, Bitsy is the one who gets to put her name in the middle of the blackboard. Amanda is scolded for building her tower too tall and ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Ransom, Candice Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten, illustrated by Christine Grove. PICTURE BOOK. Doubleday Books for Young Readers, 2017. $17.99.

Amanda Panda is looking forward to her first day of kindergarten and she has big plans for how awesome it is going to be--she'll write her name up big on the board, win a footrace and more. When the big day arrives, however, things do not go as planned. Another kindergartner, Bitsy, seems to always be in the way, ruining everything Amanda Panda had hoped
Melanie
A sweet story of a panda bear youngster who is off to kindergarten. Amanda Panda is excited for school. She is excited to race downhill in her zippiest sneakers, write her name in big letters on the board and sit behind the bus driver. But none of that happens because of the little thing in pink that seems to pop up everywhere that Amanda goes: Bitsy, the bear in pink. Bitsy won't stop talking so that Amanda can watch the bus driver, she writes her name biggest on the board so there isn't any ro ...more
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
"It does not hurt one bit to be kind. And second grade can wait."

A cute story for the child getting ready for Kindergarten. If the child has an older sibling in school it's an even better match. School and the first day sometimes has certain expectations, and that can be hard. It's a little long, but could be a great first day of school book for a kindergarten teacher, or a great parent/child read.

Focus/Lesson: First day of Kindergarten. Expectations. Friendship. Kindness.
Audience: children g
Darcie Caswell
Amanda Panda is excited to start kindergarten, until she actually gets there. She seems to be chosen last, her tower of blocks falls over (and her teacher tells her it is too high), she loses a race at recess, and an annoying classmate insists on sitting next to her on the bus and in the classroom. Amanda decides she has had enough of kindergarten and steals away to her brother's second grade class, but in his class she can't read the words on the board and things seem much harder. When the anno ...more
Read  Ribbet
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Candice Ransom -- a prolific children's author -- has a new contribution to one of my favorite genres -- the back to school books. This time she has an eager central character Amanda Panda whose first day does not go quite as expected especially when a new girl Bitsy seems to take up a lot of attention and space. In a relatively short story Ransom creates a number of universal events and themes that other first time school goers especially kindergartners could relate to. It could be a great way ...more
Diane
"It does not hurt one bit to be kind."

Amanda has definite plans about how she want her first day of kindergarten to go. She did not, however, count on Bitsy, the girl in head-to-toe pink, who seems to be ruining all Amanda's plans. No matter where Amanda goes, Bitsy seems to be there, in Amanda's face. But is Bitsy really just trying to be friends? And shouldn't Amanda take time to make friends, even though it wasn't exactly in her plans?

A sweet story about the unexpected things that happen to u
Alice
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I started reading this book a week ago and I just started crying. Waterworks city for no real reason. SO a week later (today) I try to pick it back up, I feel stable and finishing it I almost start to cry again!
THIS IS NOT A SAD BOOK! WHY DOES IT MAKE ME WANT TO CRY!? The only thing I get is that I am Amanda Panda, I must relate to her, and 'get' her and I feel what she is feeling. I can't read this book ever again because I really can't sit at work and cry! (Note. Amanda Panda's favorite color
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Amanda Panda has a very clear idea of how kindergarten is going to work. However, when she meets a girl dressed all in pink on the school bus, everything seems to go downhill. Kindergarten just isn't worth it, but what happens when one kind act can change everything?

Ransom uses Amanda to show that kindness is always a good idea. The illustrations by Grove are also adorable, as Amanda Panda definitely is one of the cuter pandas that have ever been stars of their very own book.

I hope to see more o
Well-Read Mama
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda has very detailed plans for kindergarten! When everything goes wrong she simply quits by following her brother to his second grade class after recess. Amanda soon realizes she doesn't belong there either. When a girl from her class comes to get her she is happy she now has a new friend.

This book, though sad at times has a nice message of friendship.

Clwseattle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten: It takes Amanda a little while to be a friend and exhibit kindness, but she does in the end.

Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten is one of about 25 'kindergarten' books I'm reading before I buy one for my grand who starts kindergarten this year. While I enjoyed Amanda Panda Quits Kindergarten and will read it to my grand, it's not the kindergarten keepsake book I'm hoping to find.
Juliana Lee
Amanda is ready for the first day of kindergarten, but when a pink blob sits next to her, and writes her name in giant important letters on the board, and gets all the attention, Amanda decides to quit kindergarten. Amanda slips into her brother's second grade class but nothing fits right. Then the pink blob comes looking for her. Amanda decides it's better to go back to kindergarten with the pink blob where everything fits her perfectly. She and the pink blob end up being friends.
Lynn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for anxious new students, or older students wanting to relive their fears and worries about the first day of school.
Bright colors bring a cheery mood to even Amanda's negative idea about 'something very pink.'
I wonder: if Amanda's last name is Panda, and all the other characters are also pandas, what are their last names? The teachers got other names, but what about the students?
Pam
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever story about Amanda's first day of kindergarten. Great to talk about expectations versus reality. Amanda decides to quit kindergarten as it isn't what she expected. She discovers that it may actually be better.
Krys
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017

I never thought I would say this, but this book was far too wordy...for a picture book.

But it deals with cruahed expectations, newfound friendships, going to school for the first time, and social engagement. So, there's that.
Maija
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Cindy Dobrez
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reality can sometimes crush expectations, but perspective matters. Add this to your "Growth Mindset" resources. Grove's illustrations of this panda-populated school are delightful. I hope we see more of Amanda Panda in the future.
Becky Ransberger
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Sweet story about a panda who sets off for kindergarten with some high expectations, only to realize she might have to adjust a little bit to feel comfortable. Would be a great story for a child who is struggling with entering school.
Lynn
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amanda Panda knows JUST how kindergarten should go on the first day but somehow things go wrong only to be saved by a new friend.

Christine Grove's round and colorful illustrations are adorably cute.

Debby
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My toddler loves this book. It’s fun to read aloud, and the illustrations are charming. I love how the illustrations help tell the story—there’s lots to talk about while reading. The writing itself is lovely, too. I love the details, like how Amanda’s shoes tap the floor in the kindergarten room.
Serina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute little story with little panda girls. Amanda is cranky and not into making friends, but she comes around. I think the idea is accessible to young one no matter grade level: desire to fit in, making friends, new at school, wanting to impress etc.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A familiar theme but Amanda is an appealing character.
Susan Foster
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and sweet story.