Start by marking “Labyrinths: Emma Jung, Her Marriage to Carl and the Early Years of Psychoanalysis” as Want to Read:

The story of Emma and Carl Jung's highly unconventional marriage, their relationship with Freud, and their part in the early years of Psychoanalysis.

Emma Jung was clever, ambitious and immensely wealthy, one of the richest heiresses in Switzerland when, aged seventeen, she met and fell in love with Carl Jung, a handsome, penniless medical student. Determined to share his a
Published August 11th 2016 by William Collins

To ask other readers questions about Labyrinths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Labyrinths

Bettie☯
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC Radio Listeners

Description: The story of Emma Jung, her marriage to Carl and the early years of psychoanalysis. Emma Jung was clever, ambitious and immensely wealthy, one of the richest heiresses in Switzerland, when she met and fell in love with Carl Jung, a handsome but penniless medical student. She was only 17, too young to understand Carl's complex personality or conceive of the dramas that lay ahead.

It was a highly unconventional marriage with many labyrinthine twi
Louise
Emma Rauschenbach Jung was one of the wealthiest women in Switzerland and Carl Jung was among the poorest men. After her marriage at a young age, Emma provided Carl with an elegant lifestyle and became his colleague. She performed analysis, wrote papers and was President of the Psychological Society (which sounds like a resort where papers were presented and ideas shared) in Zurich. What could have been dynamic picture book marriage was marred by Carl’s “rages” and infidelities.

The author begins
Holly
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2017-reads
I like Jennifer Senior's take (from the NYT):
“Labyrinths” was well received when published in England this summer. Yet throughout the first half of the book, no matter how much I squinted, I could not discern why. The subject is rich, definitely, and Jungian analysis has a groovy, woo-woo sort of appeal. But Ms. Clay’s sourcing is thin. She devotes pages of filler to the glorious architecture of Middle Europe — sounding uncomfortably close to the sales pitch for a Viking River Cruise — and to t
Sarah Beth
I received an uncorrected proof copy of this book from HarperCollins.

Born in 1882, Emma Rauschenbach was "one of the richest heiresses in Switzerland" (3). Clever and ambitious, Emma always wanted to study the natural sciences at the University of Zurich, but was discouraged because of her family's desire for her to follow the dictates of Swiss society that decreed that she must prepare for marriage. However, her mother did encourage Emma to marry Carl Jung, "the son of a poor pastor of the Swi
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 - Book of the week:

It was a highly unconventional marriage with many labyrinthine twists and turns. Emm
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...
Labyrinths: Emma Jung, Her Marriage to Carl and the Early Years of Psychoanalysis by Catrine Clay – review
in: https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...
Vesela Proshkova
През 1899 едва седемнайсетгодишната Ема Раушенбах, една от най-богатите наследници в Швейцария, се влюбва в Карл Юнг, беден Irrenarz (лекар, грижещ се за душевноболни) – най-неуважаваната медицинска дисциплина. Родителите на Ема насърчават любовната й връзка с доктор Юнг. Искат тя да е щастлива, освен това въпреки плебейския си произход и непрестижната си професия Карл е много интелигентен и трудолюбив.
Никой не подозира колко далеч ще стигне този свръхамбициозен млад човек, когото самият Фройд
M. Jane Colette
More about Carl and Sigmund than Emma. But an interesting lens at times.
Lizzi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Loved this! A really wonderful story full of amazing people - and I was very pleased to learn about Emma Jung. What a brilliant woman. Blog post coming soon...
Chad Bunch
Interesting, but dull. I listened to the audio-version and I often found my mind wondering while listening.
Stephen Hope-Hall
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been numerous biographies of Carl Jung. The only one I had previously read was his autobiography, so I found Labyrinths to be particularly useful in filling in the gaps in my knowledge of the subject.
I was disappointed that I didn't gain enough of an insight into Emma Jung's life. There didn't seem to be a lot of detailed information about her. I think that this shows how considerably she was overshadowed by her husband, and also points out the minimal role of women in most profession
Deborah
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
It was a slower read than I had anticipated.
Wanda
Jan 03, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wanda by: Bettie☯
3 JAN 2017 - a recommendation through Bettie. Many Thanks!
Boriana Ovcharova
Интригуваща биография на Ема Юнг - съпругата на Карл Юнг, проследяваща хронологично нейния път, неговия път, развитието на двама им - паралелно, заедно и поотделно, връзката и впоследствие брака им, неговите изневери, нейните сила и слабост, общата им заслуга в зараждането и развитието на психоанализата, тълкуването на сънищата, отношенията им със Зигмунд Фройд (поотделно - на Карл с Фройд и на Ема с Фройд). Който се интересува от тези теми, може да почерпи идеи и вдъхновение. За мен лично беше ...more
Penniphurr
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another from Audible, a very interesting book. And funnily enough takes place around the time of the first world war(not intentional).
It's well researched and includes many excellent insights into the minds of Jung and Emma. I think I'm going to have to go through it a couple of more times. As I haven't quite decided on my opinion of Jung and Emma. The is a good introduction and worth the read.
Стефан Петков
Изключително леко се чете. Препоръчвам на всекиго, който желае да се запознае по-отблизо с жената до Личност 1 и Личност 2 (същностите на Карл Юнг). Оказа се, че клишето "зад всеки успял мъж стои една силна жена" и тук важи в пълна мяра. Липсват ми само бележките под линия - единственият сериозен минус на книгата. Затова поставям 4 звезди.
Angela Kirby
This book did not give me the insight into Emma Jung that I was hoping for. The writing felt scattered and repetitive. That being said, at times it was an interesting read and I did learn some about Emma and Carl's marriage and Carl's work.
Hans
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Emma Jung, the Atlas to Carl Jung's world. She held and steadied him, largely in silence and behind the scenes. She is the unsung hero who shared the brilliance and attention of her husband with the world. There is no doubt that there would be no Carl Jung without Emma. The world owes her a debt of gratitude for the beautiful mark that he left upon it.

The most eccentric personalities tend to also be the most unstable and without the right combination of an extremely stable personality to balanc
Nancy Morris
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not often read non-fiction for pleasure but this was truly fascinating. What an interesting life!
Carol
Using letters, interviews, and archived material, the author put together this story of Emma Jung and her influence on her husband and psychoanalysis. She was a very bright woman and the stabilizer that her husband Carl needed. It is doubtful he would have accomplished what he did without her. Carl did give his wife credit and did not push her into the background as some other spouses of famous men have been.

I would have liked to see more of Emma's story; this is as much about Carl as it is abou
Mirella
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read non-fiction. I prefer fictionalized biographies, but Labyrinths by Catrine Clay was entirely entertaining and well worth reading. It is obvious the author conducted in-depth research into Emma's life, drawing from personal letters, diaries, and articles of the time. Together, she gives us an intimate glimpse into the turbulent life of this famous couple. I also learned a great deal about psychoanalysis and the interpretation of dreams, a subject that has always fascinated m ...more
Connie Kronlokken
Great introduction to Emma Jung and her work, her place in the early days of psychoanalysis. I got a slightly better hold on Jung also, as I read. He did not make things easy for Emma Jung. Rather, the reverse. He relied all his life on the strength and stability of his marriage to Emma. It gave him the courage to deal with his own inner "personality no. 2" which troubled him so much, and because of which he was able to go deeply into his studies.
Ruth Glen
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I am interested in Jung
Jane
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most interesting and informative read. I have such admiration for Emma Jung. Writing is journalistic rather than telling a story of their lives.
Holly
Jul 07, 2017
Robin Billings
Mar 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Surprised Queenhood in the New Black Sun: The Life & Legacy of Gwendolyn Brooks
  • Daughters of Decadence: Women Writers of the Fin-de-Siècle
  • Norman Mailer: A Double Life
  • The Wars of the Roosevelts: The Ruthless Rise of America's Greatest Political Family
  • The Devil's Diary: Hitler's High Priest and the Hunt for the Lost Papers of the Third Reich
  • Erotic Exchanges
  • Greek Fire: The Story of Maria Callas and Aristotle Onassis
  • A History of America in Thirty-Six Postage Stamps
  • The Making of a Dream: How a Group of Young Undocumented Immigrants Helped Change What it Means to be American
  • Journey to the Abyss: The Diaries of Count Harry Kessler, 1880-1918
  • James Merrill: Life and Art
  • In meinem fremden Land: Gefängnistagebuch 1944
  • Joe and Marilyn: Legends in Love
  • Forgotten: The Untold Story of D-Day's Black Heroes, at Home and at War
  • Freud: The Making of an Illusion
  • Brilliance and Fire: A Biography of Diamonds
  • The Disinherited: A Story of Family, Love and Betrayal
  • Scary Monsters and Super Freaks: Stories of Sex, Drugs, Rock 'N' Roll and Murder
Catrine Clay has worked for the BBC for over twenty years, directing and producing award-winning television documentaries. She won the International Documentary Award and the Golden Spire for Best History Documentary, and was nominated for a BAFTA. She is the author of King, Kaiser, Tsar and Trautmann’s Journey, which won a British Sports Book Award for Biography of the Year and was runner-up for ...more