Start by marking “The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting” as Want to Read:

Thousands of books have been written about the latest and greatest diets that will help people lose weight and improve health. But a key element in any successful nutritional health program is a tried-and-true method that most people haven't thought about—yet it could be revolutionary for taking health to the next level. This ancient secret is fasting.

Fasting is not abou
Published October 16th 2016 by Victory Belt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Guide to Fasting, please sign up.
Anthony I paid $45.20 (Australian), which included $6.95 delivery, from Booktopia. I still like hard copies lol. This book is worth every cent :)

Start your review of The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
blake
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started "intermittent fasting" last year after seeing Jason Fung's "Aetiology of Obesity" web series (available on YouTube). It made a lot of sense to me so I followed it up by reading his book The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss which mostly just recapitulates what's in the videos (but has all the usual advantages of books over videos). Since beginning IF, I've lost 50 pounds, easily, but I've noticed some people have a harder time with it than I do.

This is their book, real
Negin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: health-conscious and child-free couples
I read this book a while back and since then, I have spent more time researching and thinking about it. I have also followed some of the advice, fasting off and on for 12-16 hours.

I’m updating my review. His first book, “The Obesity Code” was far better. At the time that I read it, I felt that it was among the very best of all the diet books that I have read. Below are some of my observations/the problems that I have with this book.

NOT ENOUGH TIPS
This book is not “a complete guide”. It covers
J.D. Knutson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book uses flawed studies and flawed logic throughout. The main argument is fasting vs. calorie reduction for insulin control. I think it's very lacking that they don't talk about HEALING insulin resistance through a whole foods diet, rather than just controlling it using a ketogenic diet. The authors claim to support a whole foods diet but include many non-whole foods in their approach, completely ignoring intact whole grains, legumes, and fruit, which all help to heal insulin resistance.

Th
Cindy Rollins
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Good explanations of different fasting protocols. I am trying to do regular 16/8 fasting along with two days a week of 24-36 hour fasting. I do agree that it is easier to fast than to eat a little bit or be on a low calorie diet. I have made peace with using cream in my coffee and buying bone broth rather than making it. Oh, well! I was ever the rebel :) We will see how my body likes this new plan because I honestly never thought I would fast successfully and now I find it is not that hard. I es ...more
Bianca
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was considering not writing a review for this as I was sort of mocking myself for being so predictable and doing that very cliche thing at the beginning of a new year regarding diets and other self-improvements. The truth is I've been reading and watching quite a few videos on fasting and few other diet-related issues. That's how I came across Dr Jason Fung. I found his lectures extremely informative and very interesting while making so much sense.

If you have type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes you
Carol Bakker
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, onmyshelf, diet, food
I borrowed this from my library, and promptly bought my own copy. I had read Dr. Fung's book, The Obesity Code, in October 2017, but was shocked and dismayed at the last chapter when, out of nowhere, he sprung fasting as the answer to obesity as a hormonal disease, absent any practical advice. "It's really very simple. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's simple." I was exceedingly weary of slim men speaking pithily about simplicity.

However. I harbored secret ambitions to fast. And secretly tried.
April
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! In June of 2016, I took a good look at a photo of myself taken by a friend on a hiking trail. Despite my efforts to eat well and stay active, I was nearly 170 lbs---way too much for my small frame. I started a low-carb, high fat eating plan (LCHF) to get the weight off. After 7.5 months, and over 32 lbs easily and sustainably lost, I discovered intermittent fasting completely by accident. Wanting more info on how it works and the benefits of it, I decided to give this highly-reco ...more
Nate
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book blew my mind! I hesitate to talk about it because there is so many minconceptions and fears about fasting. I had them. And I still realize how weird that sounds to say a book on Fasting is cool. I don't know what drove me to listen to this but now that I did... wow... just wow!

Imagine you were told that for work you had to attend an all day training on pencils. Can you think of anything more lame!?! I think if I were given this book as an assignment to read that would be my reaction. B
Katherine Owen
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best Book on Fasting & Why It works for Fat Loss & Curing Diseases

This is one of the best books on intermittent fasting and clearly explains why IF works for fat loss and curing diseases.

So, if you're overweight, obese, thin on the outside fat on the inside; or, you're pre-diabetic or type 2 diabetic already; or you have high blood pressure; or, you've tried every diet known to mankind, here is your answer: Dr. Jason Fung and intermittent fasting.
Kirstie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything old is new again! Fasting is experiencing a resurgence as a therapeutic modality and it's well overdue and sorely needed in our heaving sickly world. This is not just another diet book.
It is actually anti-diet and clearly outlines how we can kick the asses of obesity, diabetes and other such modern day afflictions that are causing so much misery, illness and early death. Dr Fung has my complete respect. With intelligence, curiosity, and passion he has concentrated his life's work on
Shaun
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Prior to reading this book, I knew a few people who had experienced positive results with intermittent fasting, which this book covers in addition to more sustained and prolonged fasts. I was curious about the science behind it as well as the basic recommendations and protocol. I also wondered if it might be something that some of my coaching clients could benefit from.

Prior to reading this book, my general feeling was that fasting, particularly shorter intermittent fasts might be a useful shor
Nick
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is complementary and overlaps quite a bit with Fung's The Obesity Code. Even with that overlap, I thought it was excellently written with some more information and details on Fung's theory for obesity and why fasting is different than low-calorie and other diets. It's an excellent book for someone interested in getting started with fasting.
I will be experimenting with some of his ideas in the near future.
Lisa
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a good primer about fasting and insulin levels when we eat. I don't agree with all of the author's claims. Call me old school but I still think and know for myself that calories in vs. calories out works.
Cindy Marsch
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reviews
This may be the solution for the Biggest Loser phenomenon! Remember how all the folks on that show regained their weight, as does almost every person who's lost weight?

After losing over 100 pounds, most of it with Bright Line Eating: The Science of Living Happy, Thin Free, I have struggled for over a year with regain (20 pounds) and hunger (most days, unless I'm gaining faster). But for six weeks I have implemented one or two 22-24-hour fasts per week and shorter eating windows resulting in 15-
Wendy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am an experienced faster, and in combination with a low carb, moderate protein and good fat lifestyle (no processed foods/sugar) I lost 25lbs and still able to keep it off for 2 years now. What Jason Fung shares in his books and on YouTube makes so much sense and I totally believe in fasting. But... I was guided through the whole process by a certified health practitioner. Intermittent Fasting for 12-15 hours is no problem (most of the fasting happens when you sleep anyway), but if you are thi ...more
Michael Jones
The basic concept presented here is simple, and incredibly powerful. People over the centuries have simply not had the availability of food that we have today. But our bodies are made to have times without food.

I have now fasted 5 times using the principles laid out here and it really is freeing if you have food habits that you can't seem to break out of or health problems. Wow!

This book is extremely informative with dabs of humor and excellent historical reflections. Big thanks to the authors f
Mehrsa
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Complete waste of time. Just a bunch of podcast people telling you why fasting is awesome. Read the Jason Fung book--the Obesity code, which is scientifically based. It's crazy to tell all people that they can fast for a week.
Rolando Gill
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
So smart and self evident. Why didn't I think of just not eating? Great book. Highly credible authors with real world experience. Read it.
Donna
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fasting, health, healing
I don't agree with everything in this book. I find some sections to be overly repetitive. I question some of the charts.

So why did I rate is 5-star?

Because, for me, his methods work. This is where the rubber meets the road. This is the easiest and most effective fasting that I have ever done. I have done every kind of fast. I used to do a 24-hour fast regularly one day a week while I was at home with 3 toddlers. So I can tell you that the body appreciates the rest from digestion, my energy leve
Paul
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, great practical tips, and handy sample fasting plans.

I skipped some of the science in the middle about why fasting is healthy, as well as the section on the history of fasting (I’m a Catholic and a priest so I figured I get a pass). But I found all of the answers I was looking for to get me kick started on an intermittent fasting regimen.
Keri
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This makes a lot of sense to me and using this tool with Keto have managed to take off almost 23 pounds since 5/14! Loving it!
Srujan
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars to be precise. It did help me get some clarity on fasting, but I was filled with too many numbers and charts for my liking. It probably is because I had a different expectation from the book and wasn't looking at Fasting from a scholastic purpose.
Henrique Maia
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a quite good book if you’re interested on learning more about fasting in all its aspects, be them the benefits, the physical processes behind it, and even to learn how to try different approaches to fasting.

If you’re already onto this subject, this book may not bring much onto the table, so to speak. Nonetheless, here and there you’ll learn little bits that may be helpful on your efforts to cope with and deal with the many quirks of fasting.

But truth be said, at least from my perspecti
Sugarpuss O'Shea
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this after reading Dr Fung's The Obesity Code. Apparently, I was 'intermittent fasting' the first half of my life. Unfortunately, I was lead down the path of you need to eat more often -- like 4 to 6 times a day -- and my weight ballooned accordingly. Glad to know that if I go back on the path my body grew up on, I may, MAY be able to reverse the damage caused by the Drs & nutritionists who meant well, but put me in a one-size-fits-all approach. If not, at least I know it's not only accepta ...more
Qonita
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
the author does a quite good job explaining the relation between food intake and weight loss. insulin plays an important role in distinguishing why some diets work and others don't. it's the most important thing i learned from this book! on the most part, the book is a very good introductory reading for people who wonder what fasting is, how to do it, and how it affects your body. as i'm experienced enough with fasting, i find the author's website more informative (further research findings).
Jacqueline Wheeler
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, great book! It was such an easy read, which I really appreciate! I loved the whole concept, and will be sharing this book with friends and family. I feel like this just changed how I viewed the dieting world...
Villon
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have only read five pages of this book. Five pages filled with the same bullshit, truisms, intellectual dishonesty, sophism and bad science every diet guru spouts.
Stephen
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Complete Guide to Fasting introduces readers to fasting as a health practice for weight loss, diabetes reversal, and general health augmentation. I’ve heard of fasting for health before, through the paleo/primal school of nutrition and exercise, but never took it seriously until meeting a few people at my local gym who enthused about intermittent fasting. Jason Fung was one of the authorities they cited, and I was intrigued by the benefits they mentioned. I began experimenting with fasting m ...more
Kerstin
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very provocative book. It isn't the fasting part, humans have done that for thousands of years, but the debunking of a lot of dietary advice that's been given us over the past 50 years or so. What makes it so compelling is that Dr. Fung actually looks at how the body digests food, how our metabolism works, and what role insulin plays in our ability to regulate weight, all based on careful research and clinical observations. Dr. Fung's approach is based on common sense, though I imagine ...more
Nithya K
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I keep referring to while working through my battle with Type 2. Dr. Fung's book has neatly spelt out instructions and easy to understand language.
Before jumping onto the IF bandwagon, give this a good read. It will give you a good perspective of what to expect.
Silk pajamas is both comfortable and stylish 1 3 Jun 28, 2020 11:53PM

• Delay, Don't Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle
  • The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life
  • AC: The Power of Appetite Correction
  • Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
  • Fast. Feast. Repeat.: The Comprehensive Guide to Delay, Don't Deny® Intermittent Fasting--Including the 28-Day FAST Start
  • Feast Without Fear: Food and the Delay, Don't Deny Lifestyle
  • Eat Stop Eat
  • Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health
  • The Every-Other-Day Diet: The Diet That Lets You Eat All You Want (Half the Time) and Keep the Weight Off
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease
  • KetoFast: Rejuvenate Your Health with a Step-by-Step Guide to Timing Your Ketogenic Meals
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle
  • Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
  • The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight
  • The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life
  • Unbelievable Freedom: How We Transformed Our Health and Happiness with Intermittent Fasting

News & Interviews

“The basics of good nutrition can be summarized in these simple rules. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid refined grains. Eat a diet high in natural fats. Balance feeding with fasting. !” 13 likes
“We are wired for feast and famine, not feast, feast, feast.” 11 likes