Start by marking “Blood and Smoke” as Want to Read:
Blood and Smoke

Blood and Smoke

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  5,864 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
BLOOD AND SMOKE : THREE SHORT STORIES FROM THE MASTER OF MODERN FICTION AVAILABLE ONLY AS AN AUDIOBOOK

Three Stories Includes:

Lunch at the Gotham Cafe
In the Deathroom

Stephen King has forced us to confront our greatest fears. He has guided us through the depths of our imagination to places we never would have ventured alone. Now, in Blood and Smoke, he takes us inside a
Audio CD, Unabridged, 4 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published November 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Smoke

Mario
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
After watching 1408 (the movie), I decided to read the short story. And I've got to say, I'm a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I liked this story, and it did creep me out. But the movie was just that much better.
seak
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audio, stephen-king
I'm listening to the audiobook and Stephen King is the narrator. While an excellent storyteller, Mr. King is sadly not the greatest audio narrator. There's little to no excitement or inflection and though I was impressed with a couple voices, overall, I prefer a professional.

Here are my reviews as they come while I read the stories:

Lunch at the Gotham Cafe: This one hit a little too close to home as I am a divorce lawyer and, sadly, have dealt with similar type lawyers/clients/jerk-offs before.
Stephen
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Not among my favorite Stephen King efforts. Decent stories that got better as they went along but nowhere near as good as some of his classics.
David
I have been a Stephen King fan for a long time, and his short stories, like his novels, vary a lot in quality. This collection, read by the author himself, is unified by the odd theme of smoking. Cigarettes play a part in each story, though only incidentally.

The three stories are:

Lunch at the Gotham Cafe

The weakest of the bunch. A man meets his soon-to-be-ex-wife and her lawyer at a cafe, and the Maitre D' goes nuts and tries to kill them. King is able to make ordinary characters interesting in
Alissa Patrick
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Lunch at the Gotham Café- 3 stars
Steve is suffering through intense withdrawal -- from both nicotine and his wife. His desperation for a cigarette and for his ex are almost too much to bear, but that's nothing compared to the horrors that await him at a trendy Manhattan restaurant.
Really creepy and intense. It’s so weird but I could see myself in that restaurant as the horror unfolded.

1408- 2.5 Stars
Mike Enslin, bestselling author of true ghost stories, decides to spend the night in New York C
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lunch at the Gotham Café - ****

This, like many of King’s best, is all about the setup. The referenced “lunch at the Gotham café” actually takes place over very few minutes (this is audio, pages when it’s later published) and he manages to infuse that smidgen of time with the most ridiculous sense of unease using almost funny images and sounds. I liken this story to the tactics used in movies like “Scream” or “The Strangers”. The bad guys wear masks that are ridiculous so you end up feeling more
Linda I
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great audiobook collection of short stories that King later released in a larger collection called "Everything's Eventual". These short stories "1408", "In the Deathroom" and "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe", all relate to cigarettes in one way or another (hence the name of the collection). "1408" is the story of Enslin, a popular "nonfiction" ghost writer who, admittedly, does not actually believe in ghosts. As part of research for his latest project, Mike decides to spend a night in the ha ...more
Hussein saad
ليست الترجمة العربية هي الممتازة
ستيفن كينج كاتبي المفضل في الرعب يبدع مرة اخرى برائعة 1408
الغرفة التي تسكنها ارواح الناس الميتة
انها رحلة الى فندق الدولفين في نيويورك حيث يمكنك ان تجرب غرفة الذهاب بلا عودة
للمرة 6 تقريبا ..يتناول ستيفن كينج حياة روائي مغمور بدخول البيوت المسكونة وتحدي الاشباح والجن وبعدها يعود ليؤلف كتابا عن ما شاهده ورأه
يقع ضحية احد مغامرته حيث يدخل الغرفة 1408 الواقعة في الفندق المذكور اعلاه
ويصادف انه لايستطيع الخروج منها لاحقا ويبقى في الغرفة حتى يموت وتتعفن جثته ويكون ضحي
M.L. Rudolph
Jul 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
2000. Anything Stephen King writes will get published. This book is a perfect example.

A poor schmo working to get noticed by agents and publishers would never turn anyone's head with these stories.
Michael
Stephen King hat sich immer wieder Gedanken um alternative Vermarktungen seiner Texte gemacht. Im vorliegenden Fall hat er selbst drei Erzählungen auf Band gesprochen, von denen zwei zunächst nicht in Buchform veröffentlicht wurden, sondern ausschließlich in Form des vorliegenden Hörbuchs. Der Titel „Blood and Smoke“ ist für alle drei Texte programmatisch, der Erzähler hat jeweils das Rauchen aufgegeben und gerät in eine Situation, in der er auf eine harte Probe gestellt wird. Die Präsentation d ...more
Shorty
I found this audiobook at my local library's Wilbor page.

I have been a Stephen King fan for a long time, and his short stories, like his novels, vary a lot in quality. This collection, read by the author himself (in the audiobook form), is unified by the odd theme of smoking. Cigarettes play a part in each story, though only incidentally. I took it to mean maybe King misses smoking.....? Who knows. It made ME miss smoking...!

Lunch at the Gotham Cafe:

The quietest of the bunch. King is able to ma
Deyth Banger
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
1408 one great story. For the film it was well made, I'm glad that it's available and film!
For the story, the story is pretty interesting, loads of reverse, reminds me for Selflessness, Mr.Nobody and many other such type of films like Unknown which was 2011 I think which was again with such kind a story or sequel. I'm talking about the events, the stuff which happen and this kind a things. I really like such type of films, books and stories. In the film all lovers of Monk, could see the guy who
Rao Javed
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: farrah
Shelves: short-story
It would be extremely prejudice to comparer the movie with the short-story because the movie was more about action where the short-story was more about the dialogues and monologues which makes the movie more appealing then the short-story.

However separating the short-story form the movie it was full of appreciable thoughts and had wonderful details but could have been much better.
-over and out
Rao Umar
Greg Strandberg
Lunch at the Gotham Cafe was my favorite in this collection. I skipped the second story, as I've seen the movie 1408. The third story was more straightforward fiction. I thought it was alright.

Good collection to listen to while doing puzzles or maybe driving or something. I enjoyed it, and it's not too long, just 3 discs.
Keith
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three pretty good stories. I've seen the movie for 1408 and so was able to really visualize what was going on, though the story did take a different turn at the end. This was my favorite story of the three. The other two were entertaining, but I didn't really take anything away from them, so ultimately they were rather forgettable.
Amanda Nelson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am confused. The audiobook said it was read by Stephen King, but it did not sound like him. This voice was low and monotonous, to me. Add that to some less than spectacular stories and it added up to me nodding off.
Darren Sapp
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This offers a selection of three short stories.
In the Deathroom: Three stars. The story interested me enough to read to the end.
Lunch the Gotham Café: Two Stars. This story lacked much of a plot.
1408: Four Stars. The best of King with thrilling, spine-tingling action.
Richard Jalbert
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
Love it. Three quick hitters but classic Stephen King!
Ferris
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Audiobook..........Pointless stories with none of the usual panache I expect from Stephen King.
Soho_Black
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A few years ago, when I was suffering from a bout of insomnia, I got the idea that playing spoken word tapes whilst I was trying to sleep might help me to drift off. I soon owned a couple of "Red Dwarf" tapes, one read by Chris Barrie, and one by Craig Charles, both actors and, in the case of Chris Barrie, a skilled mimic. So when I happened upon "Blood and Smoke", promising three of his own stories read by Stephen King, who I have long been a huge fan of, I snapped it up immediately.

For nearly
April
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
November
Blood and Smoke by Stephen King
4/5 stars

First off I want to mention that I really enjoyed listening to Stephen King narrate these three stories. He did a great job with voicing different characters in each short story and kept be entertained (sometimes audiobooks put me to sleep). Between the three (Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, 1408, In the Deathroom) I am stuck between the first two as my favourites. I really enjoyed 1408, especially since I have seen the movie and thought it to be very sc
Lisa Maynard
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I love listening to audio books on long road trips and I'm a big fan of Stephen King, so I was extremely disappointed that these stories did not hold my interest. 1408 was by far the most interesting of the short stories, but I found myself comparing it to the movie, which did a much better job of diving into the main character. Though I can still hear the high pitched "eeee" in my sleep from the first story!
Jesse Miller
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three odd Poe-esque short stories; one about a man undergoing a divorce who encounters a mad and maniacal maitre-d' at a restaurant, one about a ghost-hunting writer who has a horrific experience in a haunted hotel room, and one about the escape of an American journalist from a
Communist torture cell. A strange way to begin this year's reading journey.
Yosef Shapiro
This set is composed of three short stories read by the author.

Lunch at the Gotham Café is an ok story. This is not a new scenario.

1408 is a pretty good story and was also the basis of an ok movie.

In the Death Room is an ok story that has also been done before.

JuggsBunny
Read by Stephen King (2 CDs)
Melissa Loucks
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first audio book. I found out I'm not a big fan of them. I'd much rather just read it myself. 1408 was good but it was hard for me to stay interested in the other 2.
Lynn
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Three short stories (by Stephen King standards: anyone else would call them novellas) featuring cigarettes. Entertaining!
Jim
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, short stories. The first was pure fun, the second a bit of a stretch and I have to admit I zoned out a little with the third but good compelling listens read by Sie King himself.
Teresa Scott
Sep 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I just didn't't like this book at all.
~Krystal
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Stephen King's writing and without fail he's written a book that I love
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • Rage
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Road Rage: Two Novellas (Duel & Road Rage)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99