Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil

Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil

It's the year 1906. Rumours abound that a deadly plot is hatching - not in the fog-ridden back-alleys of London's Limehouse district or the sinister Devon moors of the Hound of the Baskervilles but in faraway Peking. Holmes's task - discover whether such a plot exists and if so, foil it. But are the assassins targeting the young and progressive Ch'ing Emperor or his imperi ...more
Published November 21st 2016 by MX Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil
Heena Rathore P.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, historical
Sherlock Holmes & The Nine-Dragon Sigil is an exceptionally well-written book.
Writing about the two MOST loved characters of all time – Sherlock Holmes and Watson – is in itself a humongous task, and pulling it off successfully is not only nearly impossible but also unreal.
But Author Tim Symonds successfully took these two legendary characters and completely owned them in his epic new release Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil.

I haven’t read the previous parts in this series, but I am cer
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: May 31st 2017

"Chinese dragons don't have wings but they can fly into the sky. They don't breathe fire but can summon rain. And like the tiger, if they so wish they embody the spirit and drive to achieve and make progress."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Reading Alley and MX Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Richard Bunning
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I’m not a raving fan of the fictitious Sherlock Holmes, though I’m certainly an admirer of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I read several Sherlock books in my younger years enjoying their adventure and appreciated their cleverly weaved plots, even if it was other works of Doyle that really grabbed me. Professor Challenger, who first appeared in ‘The Lost World’ has always been my favourite character. So a weak amateur fan of the original books though I am, I couldn’t but enjoy how genuine this ...more
Mary Beth Devaney
Read/get book reviews: http://www.goodbookswithtea.com
This is the first book I've read by Tim Symonds and I am certain it won't be the last.
I feel like the original author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, left the mysteries of Sherlock Holmes open for writers like this. The story fits so perfectly with the original works, it's no wonder Holmes and Watson keep coming back!
This book is a perfect replication of the original writing style and characterizations. It's in Dr. Wat
Leslie OBrien
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tim Symonds SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE NINE-DRAGON SIGIL could rival Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. As a lover of period pieces, especially those with a mystery, the idea of reading a Sherlock Holmes story was an easy decision.

For me, the story itself wasn’t just entertaining. It was visually satisfying with its richness of detail and descriptions. While Edwardian England is of interest to me, early twentieth century China tickled the senses with its sea of color, movement, sounds, tastes and smells.

Pur
James
Jan 07, 2017 added it
This novel has been an unexpected gem with which to begin my reading year. Its author very kindly sent me a complimentary copy before Christmas and it became a part of my winter break. When revision was over, it was to the world of Holmes, Watson and Imperial China that I turned for a breath of relief. And what a breath.

The hardest part of all Holmesian pastiche, I feel, is Watson. Holmes is a fine edged character, filmed and written and chiseled out by society into an immovable, timeliness figu
L.W. Brook
I received a free copy of this book from the author, but after reading it I just HAD to buy a physical copy to add to my Sherlock Holmes collection! If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan and you haven't read anything by Tim Symonds YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!
Like many Sherlock Holmes stories, you get an introduction to the narrative of Dr. Watson and the setting. It's a calm, steady, necessary expedition that benefits the complicated mysteries of this Sherlock novel well.
From this you learn Sherlock and Wat
Sammy
It surprises me every time an author manages to successfully take something so classic, so well done, and make it their own. Despite the similarities to the original Sherlock Holmes, I didn't feel this book was cliche, so to speak. The writing style and voice of Watson are excellent replications of Sir Author Conan Doyle's work, while the actual story itself felt new and refreshing.
We start with Watson in his new life. He's been separated from Holmes for years now and has taken to a steadier lif
Dale
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Doctor Watson called to China!

My thanks go out to Steve and Timi at MX Publishing for my copy of this book.

Tim Symonds writes about a specific time in the history of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. All of his novels take place after Holmes has retired to keep bees and Watson is still seeing a few patients. Most of the time I have found these books to be extremely interesting. This one has been an exception to the rule…

Doctor Watson is given orders to go to China to help set up medical teams w
Justin
Rating: 4.5
This was technically the first novel I read by this author, but I postponed reviewing it until I had the opportunity to read the one about Einstein's Daughter. I received free e-copies of these books from the author in exchange for honest reviews and despite this I pledge my complete and total honesty.
I didn't like putting these books down. There's something about them that makes the reader want to keep going.
The thrill of the chase?
It was exhilarating.
The dark (yet surprisingly color
Andi
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another adventure with the great Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson! Join the dynamic duo as they travel to China in an attempt to foil a plot on the Empress' life. Dr. Watson begins this perilous journey solo to help organize China's military in a more formidable way. Along the way, Holmes joins Dr. Watson as they reach the Forbidden City. At first, the great detective deduces nothing that would suggest a murder plot, but will the mysterious happenstances change his mind? And what would Shakespear ...more
Calvin Daniels
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
Short of an actual three

The first 100 pages was a somewhat interesting travelogue but bored in a mystery.

The various Chinese pavilion names became tedious.

The last chunk of the book a Holmes rehash of his brilliance rather than adding to the intrigue.

Far short of what I expected given previous ratings here.
Nigel Greaves
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well written and excellent plot and characters.
Only fault I had was that Dr Watson comes across as very 'dense'at times and I found this rather irritating and it detracted from the story line.#
Overall though, well worth reading.
Danielle Urban
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil by Tim Symonds is fascinating. It was like watching versus reading about my favorite detective and his friend. Tim Symonds has the talent of creating stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, that it felt as if he were the original creator of them. His words are visual, entertaining, and kept me turning the pages. I was intrigued. There's adventure, mystery, and plenty of action that lured me deeper into the tale. Holmes and Dr. Watson have another grea ...more
David
Rating: 4.5
Sherlock Holmes is everywhere these days. Movies, Tv shows, novels- absolutely everywhere, I swear! Can't say I blame them, though. He is one sexy detective, no matter the visual.
He's brilliant and he's intelligent and that makes him an attractive individual, whether he's into the living or not, I really can't tell!! But who cares, right? It's hot!
So anyway. Back on point.
This is an old Sherlock story. By that I mean he's got some whities cuz he's retired, yes, but also this Sherlock
Carla
Dr. Watson's kind of a bad ass in this, I think. I mean, he's always been a very fidgety, need to move around and kick butt kind of a guy, but in this book he really takes the initiative!
In the originals he's always been kind of overlooked, I feel. He has his moments, of course. But this time it's like he was put on the back burner too long, you know? He's got to get up and do something! Take charge! It's really nice to read him like that since, you know, it's always been there it's just not usu
Mia
I received a FREE pre-release copy of this novel!!
If you're new to the original Holmes stories, I suggest you start here. Tim gives an excellent introduction in this one that will make it easy for any novice to follow along.
I, myself, am only a half-novice to the world of Sherlock Holmes.
Most of my knowledge comes from the movies and a few of the more popular Sherlock Holmes stories by the original author.
This book is written in old English, so it felt as though I had picked up an original book
Jess
I'm giving this book a solid 4.5/5.0
This is the kind of novel people are looking for when it comes to finding a traditional Sherlock Holmes and Watson novel. Writers are always reinventing the characters and stories, and don't get me wrong, sometimes it works really well! But if you're looking for the original characters in a new adventure, this is what you've been looking for!
I for one love the Sherlock stories.
They're insane and over the top and Tim Symonds has duplicated them perfectly. Sherl
Lizzy
First, I'd like to mention that I've loved the cover of this book since I first laid eyes on it! It gives an excellent indication of the Chinese setting/theme this book is based in and around, which excited me from the get go. Without even reading the first page I was drawn to the style of this book, simply because of the incredible foreshadowing done on it's cover page!
This technique, the foreshadowing, continues all thought the novel. It's done with such subtle expertise that you barely notice
KP
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
(Review to be posted after it appears on the JHWS website on 2/23.)
Samuel
Rating: 4.5
The to-be-released novel (at the time of this review) Sherlock Holmes and the nine dragon sigil, takes readers to the year 1906. This is a historical fiction mystery novel largely taking place in the Chinese Empire, at it's height. The dynasty is a strong force on the verge of what will be a downfall if nothing is done.
A murder with the potential to start a civil war has taken place, and if action is not taken, it will.
This is the first sherlock novel I have ever read. I've seen some
Rosie
Rosetta
Rating: 3.8
This mystery novel is written in old English. The reason I took off a star or so is largely due to the fact that it is in very old text. There were a lot of words I didn't understand, so it slowed the pace for me and made it a little harder for me to get into the story. I think people who are used to this writing style will appreciate it more than I did, but I just got frustrated with it.
Creatively, I think it was a good idea to write it in that style since it's true to the era
Trevor
Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon sigil is a fun and exciting mystery that takes readers back in time to the height of the Chinese dynasty. The story is written in a journalistic manner that "re-tells" the events through Watson's point of view. The mystery of the sigil is very unusual. It's heavy, dangerous, and thrilling.
This is the first time I've read something with such high stakes. Murder mystery isn't usually my forte, nor are the original Sherlock stories, but I do know enough to say th
Margie
Sherlock Holmes is a classic. Everyone knows the characters and at least one or two of the mysteries they've faced.
This is not a re-telling, this is an original mystery written for the classic characters. What I mean is this is written as though it were actually from the time this story is set in.
Because of this the story is capturing. It's like listening to a foreigner talk. You can't get enough of it, regardless of what it is they're saying.
Even so, the actual story is very interesting. It's t
Ann Leander
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Case of the Nine Dragon Sigil, this latest addition to Tim Symond’s Sherlock Holmes series, is a thrilling and fulfilling read. The elegance of style and the keenness of wit might have flowed from Sir Arthur Canon Doyle’s own pen.
The opening has us, like Watson himself, exasperated with his old friend Holmes’ apparent contentment, buried in the English countryside with his beloved bees. When Watson, frustrated beyond endurance, undertakes a perilous mission to China on his own, we know – ho
Sasha
Rating: 4.5
I'm taking off half a point since I usually prefer faster stories and this has a fairly consistent, steady pace. It's a mellow ride I didn't go absolutely crazy over, but definitely did get into. The beginning starts off with Dr. Watson, which moves a little slow for me. He's been apart from Holmes for too long so his life is also moving kind of slow at this point. He wants a more exciting life, and he gets that from being with Holmes, a very unusual detective with an anti-social pers
Meghan Rhodes
Sherlock Holmes and the nine-dragon sigil is a mystery novel set in the early 1900s. It's a mystery weighed down by words that are far too large for a child to comprehend. This is an adult mystery that requires thought and, of course, that cheat sheet in the back for many of the older words not often used today.
Again, I will emphasize this is an adult mystery. The main theme is murder, which proves my point further.
Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes find themselves investigating a Chinese murder/sch
Andrew
Tim Symonds has mastered the art of historical fiction. It's not as easy as some people think. Adding robots or swords does not successfully convince a reader they have left the present. It takes research and devotion.
Mr. Symonds has skimped on neither.
From the start of this wild journey the reader is taken back to the early 1900s. Why?
For those who don't know, the original Sherlock Holmes stories were written in this time period. This also means that the writings were true to the era.
The charac
Kim Lo
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Sigil Dragon is a good read. It dives into Chinese history and enters into the Forbidden City, bringing to life some of the iconic historic people that actually was a big deal. The mystery itself is feasible and the writing is done very well. While, the beginning could have been paced better and there were small things in the charaterization that left a little to be desired, the story works well once it picks up and offers a great mystery to solve.
Kay Smillie
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am ashamed to admit that this is the first time I have ever read a Sherlock Holmes novel. Seen most of the films and the Jeremy Brett tv series. Got to say that I enjoyed this trip to the far east with Watson and, eventually, Holmes. Well researched by Tim Symonds and, by all accounts, in keeping with the style of the Conan Doyle novels. Jolly good fun.

Ray Smillie
Tim Symonds was born in London, England, and grew up in Somerset, Dorset and the Channel Island of Guernsey, off the coast of Normandy. After spending his late teens farming in the Kenya Highlands and driving bulldozers along the Zambezi River, he moved to California and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from UCLA with an honours degree in Politics. He is a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and the ...more