Start by marking “Mansarovar Short Stories by Premchand” as Want to Read:
Mansarovar Short Stories by Premchand

Mansarovar Short Stories by Premchand

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  636 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Published 1999 by Diamond Pocket Books Pvt. Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Mansarovar Short Stories by Premchand, please sign up.

Keyur The farmer still remains down-trodden in India. These stories are still as relevant as they ever were. The psyche of character remains the same no…moreThe farmer still remains down-trodden in India. These stories are still as relevant as they ever were. The psyche of character remains the same no matter what the times are.(less)

Ravi Jha
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hindi
My father gifted me all the volumes(probably 8 volumes) of Mansarovar when I was a kid. Though I could not understand many stories at that age but few of them like eidgaah, poos ki raat, shatranj ke khiladi etc made an everlasting impact which later compelled me to revisit the whole set. If one is in doubt that whether he should read Mansarovar or not the following sentence may help "Premchand is the Gorky of India".
Keyur
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are no words to describe Premchand's works, as far as short stories are concerned. I guess even Premchand himself would fail to do so. Brilliant would be an under-statement. I strictly recommend.
Jyoti Arora
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My salute to the great writer for the simplicity of his writing, the brilliance of his characters and the realistic and engrossing portrayal of the life, people and culture of India in pre-independence years.
Ayush Mohta
Jun 18, 2009 is currently reading it
I am just reading it when finished i am gonna tell u guys
Rahul Khanna
I felt nostalgia while reading these short stories because some of these I read in school. At that time these stories gave amazing feeling. But now when my mind got exposed to nuances and complexities these stories seem simplistic and one can see through the woven pattern. Still there are many stories which engaged me. It took me 33 months to read it at leisurely pace. After reading 30-40 stories, plots become predictable. I think -this may seem controversial- Premchand has larger image in our m ...more
Abhay
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its a fantastic series of stories. The way Premchand understands people and writes about society is very very precise and detailed even in a short piece of story.

Very highly recommended collection.
Amit Srivastava
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hindi
परेमचंद की मारमिक कहानियों का उपयोगी संगरह। एक अवशय पठनीय पुसतक। ...more
Juhi
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Granny, m glad u introduced me to it!
Piya
Sep 14, 2012 added it
splendid!
Ranjit Sur
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

Premchand is at its best. I have read both mansarovar 1 and 2. These book are collections of short stories. All stories are work of fiction but gives great insight in the village life of contemporary india in which premchand lived. Some stories shows good side of the village setup whiles others shows dark side of the village life. Stories takes into account various problems faced by the people on those days. Most stories gives moral message at the end. Premchand has very well thought style of wr
Manav
Jun 01, 2011 added it
its realy good one
Ritu saini
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
love the author and his writings ... all the short stories teaches a lesson .. tells us about the past time ... its a splendid book and a must must must read by everyone ..
Richa Vani
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
one of my all time fav story in this book is "Dil ki Rani"..it captivates my heart still after reading it zillion number times..
Arushi
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing and my all time favorite book
Jai
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cool
Manish Mishra
Omminimimmi
Harsh Deswal
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful peace of writing, such elegance,such simplicity really wonderful experience reading it.
Ayush Jain
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Truly wonderful stories! I like to re-read them time and again.
Vedant Kshatriya
  • Vaishali Ki Nagarvadhu
  • मधुशाला
  • मंटो की कहानियाँ [Manto Ki Kahaniyan]
  • तमस/Tamas
  • Nithalle Ki Diary (निठल्ले की डायरी)
  • सूरज का सातवाँ घोड़ा [Suraj ka Satwan Ghoda]
  • काशी का अस्सी (Kashi ka Assi)
  • चरित्रहीन
  • Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India's Foreign Policy
  • Raavi Paar: And Other Stories
  • History of the World: From the Late Nineteenth to the Early Twenty-First Century
  • पिंजर
  • Andha Yug
  • Landour Days: A Writer's Journal
  • रश्मिरथी (Rashmirathi)
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • Chitralekha
Munshi Premchand (Hindi: मुंशी परेमचंद) was an Indian writer famous for his modern Hindustani literature. He is one of the most celebrated writers of the Indian subcontinent,and is regarded as one of the foremost Hindustani writers of the early twentieth century.

Born Dhanpat Rai, he began writing under the pen name "Nawab Rai", but subsequently switched to "Premchand", while he is also known as "M
More about Munshi Premchand...