Start by marking “Sevasadan” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  485 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
One of Premchand's most successful Hindi novels, Sevasadan is a bold statement on the political and religious debates about marriage, sexuality, and prostitution, at a time when Indian women were being held up as standard-bearers of a nation in chains.

Premchand depicts the hypocrisy of the so-called 'pillars of society', who can sacrifice their orthodox principles behind c
Published October 27th 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Sevasadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sevasadan

Rishabh Shukla
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
If there is one author who knows the nerves of pre-Independence Indian society and the social evils that marred it, I think that would be Premchand. His stories and novels are a mirror of the society of that era. Reading his work, I feel that he was much ahead of his time in terms of his thoughts on social reforms to improve woman's status in society as well as eradication of superstitions and caste based society.

Sevasadan revolves around the issue of Vaishya or prostitutes (mostly the dancers a
Amit Mahto
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book by an amazing writer. I read this book in Hindi, can't say how it is translated in English, but if you know good hindi I strongly recommend this book. The story made me cry, the story is beautifully presented and it made the characters alive.
Lishan Puwakowita
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it revealing the dark side of human mind. And also give nice explanations about how it works when it helpless. Munchi Premchand is one of my favorite Authors since i was in high school.. i will rate this book 4/5 without any debut.
Kirtida Gautam
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Premchand is a writer who represented his contemporary India in brilliant details. A good novel to read.
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Premchand's Sewasadan is a journey towards an 'abode of service' as an institution and an individual. It can be defined in several ways. It can be seen as a story of a woman's struggle in a stringent society or of a prostitute who struggles to move out of her shell and adopt a better life for herself. It can even be considered a story so as to represent the evils of dowry and the ill-effects it is bound to leave on the woman's life! It can also be seen as a story defining prostitution as an evil ...more
Adish Aggarwal
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best novels I had read in past year. Read it in hindi and would advice people who can read hindi to do the same. The book did made me cry a couple of times. At times the emotions ran deep and I would just keep it down to digest what had just happened. I wondered how cruel Premchand could be to the characters he had so carefully crafted.

One good thing about the work is that it makes you think the same thing from many prespectives by engaging the reader into the thought process of his
Krishna Khataniar
भारतीय समाज में एक सतरी को जितना सममान की दृषटि से देखा जाता है उतना ही उसे शक की निगाह से भी देखा जाता है। जीवन के परतयेक सतर पर उसकी आलोचना होती है और उसकी सहनशीलता की परीकषा ली जाती है। यहा तक कि उसे लजजित करने का समाज कोई मौका नहीं छोड़ता है।
'सेवासदन' पढ़ते वक़त मुझे ऐसा मालूम हुआ कि हम अकसर कई वसतुओ की परिकलपना करते है और इस कारण हमें अंत में शरमिंदा होना पड़ता है।
महिलाओ के विषय में भी यही बात लागु होती है।
नय-नवेले विवाहित पुरुषों को यह उपनयास ज़रूर पढ़ना चाहिए।
मुंशी परेमचंदजी को इस रचना के लिए
Sudama Panigrahi
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fabulous novel on various social stigmas, cultures, and traditions of that time. Prem Chand showed his boldness in challenging the culture of that time, by marrying off Sadan with a sister of Prostitute. The rehabilitation of prostitutes (Wench) giving education to their kids, and above all the virtue of service, that is service to God.

Altogether a perfect read those who want to read about society. And rightly the novel has been a flawless mirror of the society.
Sanjib Kumar
Shailendra Gupta
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
i have read hindi version of this book ..... really awesome..loved it. i will recommend it to read it in hindi only when then u will get to feel it.
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Amazing......I have read hindi version of this book. Premchand is my favourite hindi writer.
Tony Sheldon
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
It's a bad decision to read the best books of a writer first and then eventually moving on to their less ambitious mates.BAD BAD BAD decision.
I was overwhelmed with Godan.I was underwhelmed with Sevasadan.
It's more like a section cut out from Godan less all those gripping moments and suspense and that most important thing-character growth and depth.
The issue was chosen wisely, the story not so much.
I just feel that I expected too much from Premchand on this one but it's rare that you don't expec
Kumar Pankaj Panchal
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
सेवासदन - घटनाये रोचक है पर तेजी से घटती है । पढ़ते हुए मालूम होता है के जैसे कोई कहानी को तेज रफतार से सुनाये जा रहा है । कहानी के भाव तंतर का खयाल किए बिना। हालांकि सभी घटनाये भावनातमक रूप से बहुत शकतिशाली है। परेमचंद जी ने वाकय विनयास मे बहुत चतुराई दिखाई है। यह उपनयास आप को इस विषय पर सोचने के लिए जरूर विवश कर देगा। ...more
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is remarkable how little has changed in 100 years.
Souvik Khamrui
A masterpiece
Manoj Bhatt
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book will take you in the time when britishers were ruling India and India was struggling with the poverty. The book also tells about the social fear of that time in accordance with the culture.
Read this book if you want to know what was/is Bharat.
Kinshuk Sunil
  • Andha Yug
  • चित्रलेखा
  • कामायनी
  • शिकायत मुझे भी है
  • काशी का अस्सी (Kashi ka Assi)
  • Azadi
  • Devdas
  • पिंजर
  • River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya
Munshi Premchand (Hindi: मुंशी परेमचंद) was an Indian writer famous for his modern Hindustani literature. He is one of the most celebrated writers of the Indian subcontinent,and is regarded as one of the foremost Hindustani writers of the early twentieth century.

Born Dhanpat Rai, he began writing under the pen name "Nawab Rai", but subsequently switched to "Premchand", while he is also known as "M
More about Munshi Premchand...