Start by marking “Eternals: To Slay A God: v. 1 (Eternals (2008-2009))” as Want to Read:
Eternals: To Slay A God: v. 1 (Eternals (2008-2009))

Eternals: To Slay A God: v. 1 (Eternals

(Eternals (2008) #1-6)

Collects Eternals (2008) #1-6.

The Gods Walk the Earth! In ancient times, the Celestials, a race of cosmic giants, came to Earth and created a race of powerful immortal beings: The Eternals! For a time, primitive man worshiped them as gods, but eventually they disappeared. Now, they have returned! One of the Celestials now towers over Golden Gate Park, standing in judgment
Published February 18th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Eternals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternals

Aaron Wiener
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics
I don’t think I really grasped the story. It was convoluted, confusing, and at times, ridiculous... but I really liked this nonetheless! It had this vast, “mortals at the whims of Gods” feel to it. Reminded me of Lovecraft, or to be more contemporary, Mass Effect.

I also really liked the art. Makkari was drawn exceptionally well. The nebulous spacey stuff had the aura of magnitude it deserved.

This is cool, I’ve decided. It’s cool in a “what the fuck just happened” kind of way. I’m definitely pla
B
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Follows immediately after Gaiman's run.

The most winning parts were the emphatic notes to the reader at the end of each issue. This is not a backhanded compliment. They were outrageously strong.

I'm not sure the villain is particularly interesting. There are so many Gah-Lak-Tus Swarms—a horde of bug-looking things that plan to devour everything.

And, I don't know, it's hard to really get into Makkari as a protagonist. He doesn't seem to have relatable desires.

If Makkari's not the protagonist, the
Liam Mcguire
Solid Eternals run that gets better with each passing issue. It starts off a bit convoluted and slow, but if you can make it past the first couple issues you are in for a decent story.
Katja (Life and Other Disasters)
I'd be down if the Eternals movie would be about this. (Actual rating 3.5)
Jessica
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Eternals: To Slay a God

Appeal Characteristics: ILLUSTRATIONS, Marvel Universe, Celestial/Sentient/cosmic beings, superheroes, family, relationships, power, snark

There is a reason why I love certain comic book heroes. What do Spiderman, Deadpool, Venom, and Tony Starks all have in common? SNARK. SNARK. SNARK. I kept looking forward to the when Tony Starks would show up and be all like witty and sarcastic...OMG especially when they were getting on his nerves :) Makes me want to re-visit my Ironman
Amber Ditullio
I had originally been introduced to the Eternals through Neil Gaiman. (But then again, much of my new found love of comics is because of Neil Gaiman.) I didn't know that they were a reworking of a classic Jack Kirby set of heroes or that there was more to them than a fantastic story woven by one of my favorite writers. But I need to save this gushing for another day, when I do my review of Neil Gaiman's Eternals (since I reread it recently).

Eternals has been in my mind since I first picked it up
Emily Green
The Eternals: To Slay a God Charles and Daniel Knauf
In The Eternals: To Slay a God, Thena and Ikaris find they are quickly losing the battle against the evil Druig for control of the eternals, a race of immortals who have lost their true identities. While Thena and Ikaris seek to guide the eternals to fight evil and protect man, Druig wishes to eliminate man and rule the eternals.

Aiding Thena and Ikaris’s cause is the Dreaming Celestial, who will only speak to Makari in a fugue state. To compli
Devero
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dopo il revival di Gaiman e J.R. jr parte, o almeno ci prova, la serie regolare dei personaggi di Kirby.
Acuna ai disegni è ottimo, ma le storie sono proprio buttate lì. Knauf non ha ne letto bene gli Eterni di Kirby ne quelli di Gaiman. Poche idee però confuse, personaggi non solo non fedeli a loro stessi, ma spesso illogici oltre ogni necessità.
Un vero peccato, una vera occasione sprecata dopo il successo della minniserie di Gaiman.
Oliver
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting setup with the Dreaming Celestial in San Francisco, also building on the previous stories by Neil Gaiman. Coupled with gorgeous art by Acuna and my love for godlings in the Marvel Universe, this seems like the prerequisites for a home run... except, it's not.

Too much is going on, no time is given to let any characters develop. Everything is always in crisis mode. It really could have been much more.
Jessica
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the artist's skill smooths over plotting and dialogue issues
Nazary
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting story that doesn't seem to go anywhere. Also, for a volume 1 there seems to be a lot of back story that readers aren't made aware of. At least its better then Kirby's "New Gods"
Brent
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
Daniel Acuna always interests with his attractive art, but this is kind of an attractive mess of Jack Kirby pastiche.
MinoMininni
Sep 11, 2010
A.B.
Aug 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

Eternals (2008) (9 books)
  • Eternals (2008-2009) #1