Start by marking “A Gift of Time” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Time

A Gift of Time

When Micajah Fenton discovers a crater in his front yard with a broken time glider in the bottom and a naked, virtual woman on his lawn, he delays his plans to kill himself. While helping repair the marooned time traveler’s glider, Cager realizes it can return him to his past to correct a mistake that had haunted him his entire life. As payment for his help, the virtual cr ...more
Published October 15th 2016

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Time, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Donna Backshall
A Gift of Time started out questionably, almost hokey in the interactions between Cager, the main character, and the very alien Lovely Pebble and Time Glider. I was wondering if I'd made a mistake choosing this novel.

But then it all started to click, and the story grew a heart bigger than I could have imagined. I fell in love with every single one of the characters, caring as deeply for them as any I've ever met in a book. If you loved Stand by Me, Life After Life, or 11/22/63, I am certain you
Ken Dickson
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that I binge read a book from beginning to end, consuming every spare minute of my time. It is rarer still that a science fiction story moves me to tears. A Gift of Time has it all: love worth sacrificing immortality for, gut-wrenching loss, mystery, murder, mind-bending technology, and of course: time travel. Wow! I cannot give enough high praise for this book! Thank you, Mr Merritt, for penning this brilliantly written tale!
Ron
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually find time travel novels entertaining reads. This one was a bit odd though. I liked the beginning and the middle sections enough. Great writing; likable characters, and a story I was truly interested in. But then the last third was spectacularly off the charts in a ridiculous way. It was like Merritt got bored and gave the book to someone else to finish. Honestly! The change was jarring, unforgivably confusing, and so far beyond any semblance of believability that I had to force myself ...more
Robin Martin
As many of my friends know, I am a huge time-travel story fan. So I went into this story with great expectations. The first 2/3 of the book were absolutely fantastic and it was on its way to becoming one of my favorites. But, alas...

I recently learned a phrase from my husband, 'jumping the shark,' a term used to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality. THIS book qualifies as a book that has jumped the shark.

The writing in th
Kacy❁
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this so much! Why is it that books you purchase on a whim, turn out to surprise you in the best possible way! What a heartfelt story. Some parts were so raw and emotional, and it made the story feel real in its own way.

I am all for time travel. I am a giant Doctor Who fan after all. A Gift Of Time was more than just about time travel though. This was a story about love. About loss. About the consequences of the actions that we take. About second guessing everything and nothing at the s
Jesse
Jan 01, 2018 added it
Should be a Hugo Nominee

Note: This is a review of the Audible audio version. For some reason, Goodreads does not list the Audiobook version.

One of the best science fiction stories I've read in a long long time. Reminiscent of Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke's best. If this story is not in the running for the Hugo then the Hugo is no longer representative of the best in Sci-Fi literature. And that is what this is...Literature.

Imagine being able to go back and relive your life from the age of 10 with
Randy
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Great Time-Travel Tale!

Although I'm not even a general fan of the sub-genre, I've been fortunate enough to have recently read several superb time-travel novels, including Stephen King's fantastic "11/22/63,” (of which you can read my review HERE), and this hidden gem certainly didn't disappoint either.

It's far more than a story about jumping across space-time, or parallel universes; it's a story about what is at the very root of the human existence and soul. It's about love and what is at the es
Matthew Wentworth
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
While there are certainly aspects of this book that are redeemable, for a piece of fiction that relies so heavily on concrete science and intricate technical concepts, there are numerous, egregious errors in logic that poke holes in the narrative. Too frustrating.

This is beside the fact that the final part of the book is such a huge cop-out.

The best parts of this novel were probably the middle third that had nothing to do with time travel what-so-ever. In that section, the book was well worth
Stephanie Evers
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Chip
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how I came across this book. I don't remember getting it for my kindle, but I am certainly glad that I did. I had no expectations of the book when I started which is rare for me, but even if I had started with high expectations, this book would have met them. Over 1200 ratings on goodreads with an average of 4.24 says that many people agree with me.

A unique story of time travel, of love, of life, of humanity.

Since you already know I've rated this 5*, it may be anti-climatic, but her
Syd (deertales)
i was really surprised by this book! despite the extremely hokey cover, there is a great story within these pages, full of love, family, guilt, and of course some time travel as well.

the beginning is a bit eye rolling - i thought that it was very apparent that a male wrote this book and that blatant testosterone seeping through the pages was initially a turn off for me. BUT, i think jerry merritt really corrected the course and despite some far fetched plot twists, i ended up really loving the c
Wallis
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As Good a Contemporary Read

As I've had the pleasure to experience in a while. I'm not one to harbor on editing as, unless it renders the book comprehensible, we have the mental capacity to understand the writers intent....especially a talented one as this. That particular burr from under my saddle let me say "No problem with editing No problem with character development. Yes to a great storyline filled with memorable characters...etc..etc" I hated to see an end but happy also that monetary enti
Douglas Impiccini
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings...a strong start is betrayed by a slow middle with a strange Jurassic park fantasy. I felt that a better story was left behind and that the one we got was a weak offshoot. Did the author die and his agent finish the novel?

The performance was fantastic.
Diane
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
An alien visitor crashes her time glider in the front lawn. Time travel with the space component factored in. Getting to go back to when you were 10 with all your 80 years of knowledge to correct a mistake. The beginning and the end were brilliant.

It only get a 3 stars because of how bogged down in the science of got in the middle when he was was trying to build a time machine. And that's coming from someone with an interest in physics; quantum and astro. Loved the concept. Very well done and u
Sean Randall
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was reminded, by the end, of one of Heinlein's weirder transhumanic endings. An interesting yarn here with a lot of ethical intrigue ,it did captivate me, even if I can't quite bring myself to call it best in class.
Trish R.
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

I liked this book well enough but I did think the author just went on and on trying to add pages to the book, and they weren’t necessary. It would have been a great book if it had been less pages.

I did like the players: Cager, Arlie, Ell and Aunt Cealie.

The long drawn out part of this book was the pages and pages and pages of describing how Cager was building his time machine. Like half his readers would understand what he was talking about when he talked about “quarks and electrons and photons
O.S. Prime
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A story about what it means to be human might be one way to describe this novel. It doesn't break much new ground in terms of science fiction, but is enjoyable nonetheless. Mostly that enjoyment stems from frequent clever dialogue and many touching moments. For me the book started off very strong but weakened as it went on. I was fairly well done with it by time the book ended.

Some concepts shared with Claire North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and Ken Grimwood's Replay. Not as good
Lisa
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
What a beautiful book!
Dream Always
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have added this book to my top 25 books ever list. I loved the story, and I’m not a huge time travel fan...but, it was wonderful. I love all the characters. I read it and listened to it in the car and it made me laugh so many times, and ponder life, love, decisions and family. Who wouldn’t like a possible chance to do life again carrying the knowledge from the first.
Kevin Green
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reads like late Robert Heinlein, by which I mean bad. Teen wish -fulfilment fantasy. Couldn’t finish it
Doug
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
A little simplistic in places, and the whole thing sort of reads as a male fantasy (beautiful naked alien chick, going back in time to correct injustices, becoming an almost-all-powerful time traveler, etc.) But it was still an interesting read, and I liked the characters.
Kevin
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Ultimately this book fails because it’s not sure what it wants to be when it grows up.
It starts off as a fairly standard science fiction book; transitions abruptly to a coming-of-age story; Swerves into hard-core science-fiction with interesting time travel analysis; then ends as a book about introspection and what it means to be human.
It’s a Frankenstein in of genres and concepts.
But it is supposed to be a time-travel book - and in that it fails.
Unfortunately the book completely ignores the
Bill Poplaski
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to 28 books so far and this one is number 1

I really enjoyed this book. It keep me on the edge of my seat right to the very end. I listened to it on audible and the narration was great. I have listened to 28 books so far and this one ranks number1.
Marjorie R. Huse
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wondrous tale

This exceeded all my expectations. I simply could not force myself to put it down. This story had so much depth and feeling. It also got really technical, which kinda left me behind occasionally. I cannot praise this story enough. I loved it. Twists and turns, people, dangers, it had it all.
Sjoerd van Heijst
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved the narration of the audio book, but I can’t get over some mayor plot holes with time travelling. Story was ok but ending weak.
Shelly Singhal
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stunning. A tour de force

This book blew me away. At times lyrical almost poetic. At times great sci fi. At times a great combination of both.

Highly recommend
Barry Bozeman
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This begins as a brilliantly funny and most interesting story then is ruined by a stupidity that is actually offensive and demeaning to the reader. Nobody could possibly be as brilliant and ostensibly careful as Micajah Fenton and find himself and Lovely Pebble; in the fix they are in when he tests his machine. It's just too DUMB to suspend any disbelief and is totally unnecessary to the story.
Micajah Fenton seems to be of necessity patterned on the author. Jerry - Micajah postulates that; ever
Lagarto
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This review is for the audiobook edition, not the text.

The reader for this audiobook edition is exceptional. The protagonist is a southern gentleman (Florida Panhandle). The reader has the perfect accent, timing, and intonation to pull it off. A better voice actor would be hard to find, anywhere. He suits the book perfectly.

Even up until the last 2 hours of the book, I was holding my tongue, and my opinion. I read a lot of reviews that were hating on the style and substance of the book, which pu
Melissa Levine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I. Loved. This. Book.

My husband suggested I listen (audiobook) to this story, after being suggested to listen to it himself, by some Facebook friends. Needless to say, I was hesitant because I don't usually listen/read Science Fiction, but I'm glad I did. This was a great story! While the science-y talk was a little confusing at times, it didn't go on and on, instead, the author wrote it more as short snippets, I guess you could say. So, it wasn't enough to cause me to get bored or want to stop
Jesse
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be a Hugo Nominee

Imagine being able to go back and relive your life from the age of 10 with all the knowledge and experience gained through 80 years of life. And that's the starting premise for this masterf
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Forged in Fire (Destiny's Crucible #4)
  • Infinite
  • The Singularity Trap
  • Devil's Due (Destroyermen, #12)
  • Rewinder (Rewinder #1)
  • Commune: Book Two (Commune #2)
  • Fear the Survivors (The Fear Saga, #2)
  • Paradox Bound
  • Ben Franklin and the Chamber of Time
  • Human Plus (Post-Human, #4)
  • Portal to the Forgotten
  • Fata Morgana
  • Ghostly Tales: An Audible Christmas Gift
  • Dream of Time
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century
  • ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy
  • Syncing Forward
  • Henry Wood Edge of Understanding (Henry Wood Detective, #4)
“Projection, after all, was the refuge of the stupid, ensnared in traps of their own design and unable to grasp that their inane flailing about had triggered the deadfall to drop on their own heads.” 1 likes
“Like so much in life, it was the internal concept that counted, not the outward appearance.” 0 likes