Start by marking “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” as Want to Read:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  117,524 ratings  ·  18,617 reviews
Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now? Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going no ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, please sign up.
Cari
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenni Frencham Yes the LGBT content has a lot to do with the story. It's worth your time.

·  117,524 ratings  ·  18,617 reviews

Start your review of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Melanie

“I spent half my time loving her and the other half hiding how much I loved her.”

This is one of the best books I’ve ever had the privilege to read. It is probably in the top five for best books I’ve ever read in my entire life. I have been looking for a book like this my entire life, and no combination of words I’m about to type, and you’re about to read, is going to do this masterpiece justice. But I will say that Gabby, Joce, and Elyse were all right, and I’m so happy I listened to them, because this book is w
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I want to be as motivated and focused in university as Evelyn Hugo was in continuing to flourish after all of her 7 divorces and getting richer than all of her 7 husbands combined.... then spend the rest of her days frolicking in sun hazed fields of butterflies and dandelion clocks with her wife.

This book was so wild I feel like it fundamentally changed me as a human being. I've witnessed cosmic justice at its coldest and its darkest. I'm genuinely so tempted to go buy myself an expensive bott/>This
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I think a lot about the idea of love as something dangerous, as something that you have to fight for. And it's only recently that I've decided that's something that probably has to do with loving women. I have been very lucky, in growing up in liberal California and in the 2000s. But I received marriage rights in my country four months after realizing I liked girls, and in reading about the past and thinking about the past, I am constantly, daily, reminded how being born ten years earlier would ...more
Emily May
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is Evelyn Hugo going to tell me just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat but never enough to truly reveal anything?

I can't say for sure what drew me to this book. It's not the kind of thing I usually pick up, and I haven't read anything by Reid before. But something about it intrigued me. So I checked out the kindle sample. Just a couple chapters, I figured, because I probably wouldn't like it anyway. And I was HOOKED.

It's perfect, easy beach read material. It's not particularly deep, it does no
Emma Giordano
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is genuinely one of the most remarkable novels I have ever read. It is a favorite of the year, it will be a favorite of all time. I am wholly enchanted by The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and I will never forget how much I adore this book.

CW: domestic abuse, death/grief, homophobia/biphobia, racism (view spoiler)

Adult fiction is not typically my cup of tea, especially a combination of historical fiction and contem
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) I’ve been struggling with a lot of books lately because I just don’t care about them. I don’t care about the story. I don’t care about the characters. I just don’t care! I thought it was all me, that I must have a cold heart but then this book happened.

I thought this was a literary fiction but it read more like a chick lit. A deep chick lit if that can even be a thing. This book made me realize that it is absolutely not me but them!

I cared deeply for the flawed characters in t
Miranda Reads
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Heartbreak is a loss. Divorce is a piece of paper.
Evelyn Hugo was the star of the century.

She dominated the big screen for more than four decades. Every man wanted her and every woman wanted to be her.

Perhaps most famously, Evelyn Hugo was married seven times. Each divorce only increased her fame.

Rumors swept through the tabloids like wildfire.
I’m under absolutely no obligation to make sense to you.
And now, age 79, Evelyn Hugo decided to auction off her most wildly famous gowns and offered one lucky journalist (Monique) an iwildfire.wasstars
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Evelyn always leaves you hoping you’ll get just a little bit more. And she always denies you.”

This book was so, so, so GOOD!! I swear I was barely two pages in and already knew that I’d love it with all my heart! <3 There’s just something about that golden Hollywood era that captivated me right from the beginning and once Evelyn entered the scene I was a goner. I just loved the way her story was told!

We didn’t only get the interviews with Monique but also were able to read news articles about
Maria
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

This book is phenomenal. This book is spectacular. This book is outstanding. I have nothing negative to say about this book. It's a pure 5 star for me. I'm irrevocably astonished and astounded. I want to hug and kiss this book
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
FULL REVIEW POSTED
*5+ Stars*

Brilliant!
If I could recommend only one book for 2018, THIS would be it!

THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO not only surpassed my already-lofty expectations, but knocked my proverbial socks off as it shot straight into the open arms of my favorites-shelf.

The spirit of this story mirrors its leading lady, Evelyn Hugo, in that it feels gigantic and larger~than~life. I wanted to devour this whole, yet savor it in tiny pieces so I could linger with these characters whom I grew to admire for their extraordinary strenit!
THE
Christine Riccio
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fabulous well crafted story! I'll be talking about it more in my stories I ate this month video going up tomorrow =) (Oct 9)
Victoria Schwab
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary and surprising read. Absolutely adored this one.
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I... don't even know where to start.

This was absolutely FANASTIC, and I was expecting to love it (this is a 5-star predicted read) but I was completely blown away. The characters are utterly captivating and complex. The audiobook was wonderfully narrated. I am a FAN!
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Update: $2.99 Kindle special today. This book is TERRIFIC. Men- women - most readers will love it.
Great price if you’ve missed it!

Evelyn Hugo, born Evelyn Elena Herrera, daughter of Cuban immigrants, grew up poor in Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York City. By 1955 she was in Hollywood.
Evelyn is beautiful....as tall and slim as a ballerina, with straight thick eyebrows, oversize almond shape eyes, blonde hair, ( dyed only after she arrives in Hollywood to help her get acting roles), rich,
jessica
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
not to be dramatic, but if there ever comes a point in time where the fate of the human civilisation is coming to an end and we need to create a time capsule to immortalise our posterity, this book better be in it. there has never been a more honest and enthralling book in the history of the world, ever.

i really dont even know where to begin. its books like this which confirm my belief that fiction will always be better than nonfiction, because it would be impossible to find a biography that co
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay! I bought this in an Audible sale because of all the rave reviews! I better love it 😳 And I bought it on Kindle!

Omg!! I can’t believe I loved this as much as I did!! Once in awhile a book will surprise me. But I did the wrong thing! I listened to it first. I usually like to read it first so I can highlight things!! Soooo there will be a reread on my kindle. But the narrator for this did an awesome job!

This was fantastic!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
“Don't ignore half of me so you can fit me into a box. Don't do that.”

Let me go ahead and say that I had no idea what to expect from this book. When it first released, I remember seeing it everywhere, and I honestly didn’t take any interest in it until I was told about how diverse it was. It’s full of incredible representation: you’ve got bi rep, gay rep, lesbian rep, a Cuban woman, a biracial woman—so when I heard about all of that, I finally decided to give it a try, and I’m so glad that I did,
Warda
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has been one of the most well-developed, character driven stories that I’ve read. It’s the type that’ll leave a mark and I thoroughly enjoyed my reading experience.
Throughout the course of this book, I became enamoured with Evelyn Hugo. She isn’t likeable, but I fell in love her. The whole story felt real. As if I could google one of her movies, and I’d be able to start watching it right away. I was dazzled by her beauty, her bravado. I fell in love with her personality, her ugliness and f
✨    jamieson   ✨
REREAD 3/1/2019 i love this book so much i love this book so much i love this book so much THERE ARE TRULY NO WORDS FOR HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK

and YES I cried just as much the second time. WHAT. ABOUT. IT

::FULL REVIEW BELOW ::

Folks, this book just came into my home and murdered me personally I’m shaking

So, I literally cried for 20 minutes when listening this and not like cute little sniffles either I mean full on tears streaming down my face heaving sobs cryin/>::FULL
Christina - Traveling Sister
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, favorites
5 glamorous, glitzy, enamored beyond all reason stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read along with a recipe for Caldo Gallego soup!

My life has been broken up into two segments: before Evelyn and after.

Where do I even start with this? If all of my enthusiasm and relentless energy could be compressed into a grenade I would pull the pin out for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and burst into a show of sparkles and champagne bubbles. I don't even know how to concisely put int/>Full
Riley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I finished this at 3am and then cried myself to sleep. This was truly remarkable. Evelyn Hugo is a character I won't get out of my head for a long time.
Whitney Atkinson

Don't read this book on your period. Just don't. Take my advice. Spare yourself the grief and agony.

Every time I closed this book and my brain snapped back to the present, it took me a couple of seconds to remember that Evelyn isn’t a real person. A fictional biography is such a genius idea, and it was done so expertly. I have zero interest in movies or Hollywood (cite literally any tweet about me hating watching movies and not caring about actors), but this book
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I’m just sobbing on my couch. No big deal. I’ve been emotionally gutted, but whatever. This book had two of the most wonderfully fascinating complex female characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading about, BUT ILL BE FINE
Nadia Awadi
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A conversation between me and Google because: Why not?

Google: What can I do for you today?

me: Search for the actress Evelyn Hugo.

Google: Isn't that a fictional character?

me: Wha..What do you mean? But she's real! She has blond hair and dark eyebrows, she's ruthless yet kind, she can't be a fictional character!

Google: I understand your pain Nadia but you have to come to terms with reality. Evelyn Hugo is not real.

me: Noooooo! Does that mean Harry, Celia and John aren't real?

Google: I'm afraid so.

me *starts crying like a baby*

Google:
A conversation between me and Google because: Why not?

Google: What can I do for you today?

me: Search for the actress Evelyn Hugo.

Google: Isn't that a fictional character?

me: Noooooo! Does that mean Harry, Celia and John aren't real?

Google: I'm afraid so.

me *starts crying like a baby*

Google:

The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo is not the story of a beautiful actress who stood the test of time. It's a story of love in all its different shades. Its ugliness and its beauty. And all that is in between.

Rating: 4,75 stars

It's safe to say that I loved this book. How can I not love this? It's like watching a beautiful black and white movie where every character is complex, painfully human and most importantly NOT STRAIGHT.

After hating so many hyped books lately, I'm happy to say that: The hype is deserved! It's even deserving of more hype. I loved how beautiful this book was and I'm not talking about the writing. It's the sadness and pain that brings this book to life and even more than that: The Characters.

Evelyn Hugo is ready to bare it all in this book. I wanted to take all the secrets she revealed, keep them close to my chest and protect them from this ugly reality. She's complex. She's cruel. She's passionate. She's human. And if you don't understand all of her. You don't desreve to love her. And God Did I fall head over heels for her! She's hands down: The best female character I've ever read about.

On her way to fame, she lost so much of herself. Hurt so many people. And she's completly unapologetic. Married seven guys yet loved only one person. Someone she wasn't allowed to have. But who she loved anyway. If love is the only word to express what they felt for each other than that's what we will call it, even if it was so much more.

Harry, her best friend is my spirit animal. Celia, with all of her passion is someone I would've loved to get to know.

I loved every character except for: Monique. The journalist. If she's a journalist I should be an author by now. How can someone be so stupid, is beyond me.

This book will break you in all the right ways. But you will be happy that you've read something so beautiful.

I definitely recommend this to everyone.

Thank you for reading this review! and I hope you have an amazing life.
Matthew
I read Daisy Jones and the Six a couple of months ago. Usually I don’t read two books by the same author this close – mainly so I can spread out my enjoyment of their works. But, to be honest, when I put them both on hold, I didn’t realize they were the same author! Then, the holds come in when they come in . . . so, I have to read them whether I am ready or not. In this case I am definitely overwhelmed with Taylor Jenkins Reid goodness! Spoiled, even!

Both of these books have an inte
Julie
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a 2017 Atria Books publication.

A story so well written I had to remind myself it was a work of fiction.

The cleverly titled novel appealed to my interest in old Hollywood, the scandals and cover-ups the public never had the slightest clue existed.

Evelyn Hugo is a faded movie star in advanced years who has decided to write her life story- a deliciously scandalous tell all with a sharp focus on her seven marriages.

To help with this task, she lures
Raeleen Lemay
This is one of those hyped books that ACTUALLY deserves the hype. Wow wow wow.
Tan Markovic
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Redownloaded the audiobook - Is it too soon to read this again?

Reviews can be found at: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

No doubt...5/5 stars...

Read from start to finish and reviewed in one day, if that doesn't say everything I don't know what will. This review will probably just be a load of rambling nonsense as I'm writing it straight after finishing the book and I'm overwhelmed with what I've just read.

I loved everything about this wonderful story; the well developed characters, the juicy/>Reviews
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
❥ 5 / 5 stars

*currently sobbing so hard and don’t know how to stop it*
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm not sure that I can add any original thoughts on this iconic novel, as many people before me have said the things much more eloquently than I can, but this was certainly worth the effort of experiencing. I had tried to get into this one a couple of times prior, but I just couldn't connect with the audio version and the timing wasn't right in the past. After a tumultuous trial period, I found that sometimes the timing needs to be just right to enjoy a book to the fullest, and I'm glad I was f ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo BuddyRead Starting November 25th 1 2 Nov 12, 2019 12:01PM
An Extremely Casu...: Wrapped Up: 1 3 Oct 13, 2019 11:27AM

• Lock Every Door
  • Whisper Network
  • Radio Silence
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • Verity
  • Miracle Creek
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • Things You Save in a Fire
Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, Maybe in Another Life, and two other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @tjenkinsreid.
“People think that intimacy is about sex. But intimacy is about truth. When you realize you can tell someone your truth, when you can show yourself to them, when you stand in front of them bare and their response is 'you're safe with me'- that's intimacy.” 552 likes
“Never let anyone make you feel ordinary.” 291 likes