Start by marking “A Planet of Blood and Ice (Cathedrals of Glass #1)” as Want to Read:
A Planet of Blood and Ice (Cathedrals of Glass #1)

A Planet of Blood and Ice

(Cathedrals of Glass #1)

From the New York Times bestselling author of Steeplejack and co-author of Sekret Machines: Chasing Shadows with Blink-182’s Tom DeLonge, comes a "smart, gripping and atmospheric" science fiction thriller—the Cathedrals of Glass saga…

“Deviance is unattractive and jeopardizes all we hold dear…”

Ten teenagers broke behavioral law. Sentenced to be reeducated on the moo
Published February 21st 2017 by To the Stars

Start your review of A Planet of Blood and Ice (Cathedrals of Glass #1)
Chris Greensmith
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-the-stars
"Deviance is unattractive and jeopardizes all we hold dear
Prett good, ok, a bit weak and generic in places, but interesting enough....
Ben
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cathedrals of Glass: A Planet of Blood and Ice is a well-crafted young adult scifi thriller by AJ Hartley, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. In this novel he presents a dystopian future where almost all human interaction takes place virtually and citizens are expected to comply with the laws of the land. Anyone stepping outside of the law is considered deviant and dealt with appropriately, and in this case it is a handful of teenagers being sent off to a re-education camp on an ...more
Gregoire
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sf, owned, ya
Pas ma tasse de thé ! c'est un mixte de déjà lu (groupe de jeunes "déviants" isolés, ET aux pouvoirs psy réduisant leur hôte en zombie, méchant gouvernement où tout ce qui n'est pas norme est dangereux et nocif ... ) En plus, j'ai du mal à croire qu'une jeune ado soit transformée en "super woman" dès l'atterrissage sur planète glacée (peut être du à la narration à la première personne )
Les explication sont d'ailleurs très "light" et exigent du lecteur une bonne part de crédulité ...
A réserver Y
Angela
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS!

Once I started this book I could not put it down. It's one of those books where you tell yourself "just one more chapter" and 20 chapters later you're telling yourself the same thing. I was instantly transported to Valkrys with the 10. I was the invisible 11th member, captivated by their every move. I'm left with wanting to know more; so much more. There is boundless potential for where this story can go and I eagerly await the next...chapter.
Amy
Well done, Mr Hartley. When night fell on Charleston, during Irma's visit, and the electricity was out, I picked up my trusty iPad and crashed into that strange, cold, and dangerous planet Valkrys, along with Sola and her shipmates. The irony of sitting in my 21st century home, curled up with an electronic device, reading about teens from a distant future, whose lives are pretty much spent in a society where the infonet provides all social interactions, and the world is climate controlled did no ...more
Brian Gusmano
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read! The beginning was a little slow for me but it picked up the pace and didn't stop until the last few pages. I liked the story and the ideas but felt the ending was a little rushed. ...more
C.
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Meh. It didn't hold my attention, and this is the audiobook I'm talking about. Ugh. ...more
Hyrum Sutton
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dystopian
Just like the cover quote says, this is exactly the book I've been dying to read, and A.J. Hartley is indeed becoming one of my favourite authors. I was captivated from pretty well the first page.

The dystopian future in which this book is set is one where humans have become so dependant on their technology that there is very little interaction or exercise. As someone who enjoys being disconnected from technology, this fit very well with the future I foresee for our society. Though that setting
Farseer
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a future dystopian society, a group of teenagers who are guilty of some kind of deviant behavior (or behavior that is deemed deviant by society) are sent in a spaceship to another planet of their solar system for reeducation. We really have to suspend disbelief there, because it's absurd that to make them attend a few lectures and watch videos about good citizenship for a few weeks they'd sent them on an interplanetary voyage instead of reeducating them on their own planet.

In any case someth
Gabe Hawkins
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, i-own
This book has all the elements of a great thriller - great pacing, smart use of cliffhangers from chapter to chapter, characters you care about, and a constant need to read just one more chapter. The social commentary about our relationship with technology added a considerable amount of depth to the book.

My only complaint is that it ends somewhat abruptly and seems to leave the door open to the possibility of a sequel, although I'm unsure if that is coming or not.

Great read for fans of sci fi an
Jenn
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I LOVED it! I purposely waited to start this one so I'd be reading this at DragonCon. The author is always there and some nice SF is good for reading at the event in between panels and such.

I loved the creepiness of the alien. I also felt like the characters were fleshed out just enough for me to care what happened to them, but there's still a lot left unknown so I want to know more!
Theresa Wade
This book/story is way better than I expected. A.J. Harley had me hooked starting at page 1 to the end. An author worth reading. I am looking forward to reading other stories by A.J.
Rick Steele
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
well written, if a bit heavy handed with the whole dystopian future thing.
Kat  Hooper
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 ..... will review at www.fantasyliterature.com ...more
Michael
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spaceships, hive-mind zombies, psychic abilities, lies, deception, sabretooth tigers. What else could you ask for in a book?
Richard
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: syfy
The syfy parts of the book I enjoyed, but the constant, continuous teenage angst, outbursts throughout the entire book were overwhelming and no fun at all.
Jenn
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!!
Ryan Bates
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hartley is one of the greats! I was very impressed with his writing and storytelling when I read Sekret Machines and Cathedrals was just as good. It's a book that's hard to put down once you get started. Highly recommend! ...more
Tyler Jefford
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It was page turning with action, adventure and mystery. Second book I've read from Hartley and throughly enjoy his writing. Cant wait for the next. ...more
Nathan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Author hits you over the head with his political views in a way that
is totally distracting and annoyingly
whiney.

Jul 17, 2018
Danielle Klizas
Mar 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Fire Within (Sekret Machines #2)
  • Chasing Shadows (Sekret Machines #1)
  • Sekret Machines: Gods An Official Investigation of the UFO Phenomenon (Gods, Man & War)
  • Poet Anderson ...of Nightmares
  • Poet Anderson ...In Darkness
  • Strange Times: The Ghost In The Girl
  • Advanced Law of Attraction Techniques: Mastering Manifestation and Attracting What You Want Fast!
  • How To Make It in the New Music Business: Practical Tips on Building a Loyal Following and Making a Living as a Musician
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Your Black Friend and Other Strangers
  • Escape Room
  • I Survived the California Wildfires, 2018 (I Survived #20)
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • The Best Man Problem (Mile High Happiness #2)
  • The Quest for Screen Time (Jaden Toussaint, the Greatest #1)
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars: Volume Two (Barsoom #4-7)
  • The Day After Roswell
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA

Cathedrals of Glass (2 books)
  • Valkrys Wakes (Cathedrals of Glass #2)