Start by marking “Auntie Claus” as Want to Read:
Auntie Claus

Auntie Claus

(Auntie Claus #1)

Auntie Claus is just another eccentric New Yorker--or is she? Young Sophie has often wondered about her unusual great-aunt, Auntie Claus. She lives in penthouse 25C at the Bing Cherry Hotel and is so curioso! After all, Auntie Claus serves Christmas cookies all year long and her tree is always the best-decorated in the city. And then there's her annual "business trip," rig
Published September 7th 1999 by Silver Whistle

To ask other readers questions about Auntie Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auntie Claus

Calista
Confession; I got this book because it has Auntie in the title and I thought it would be fun to read an Auntie book to the children.

It's a cute book with colorful artwork. I enjoy the fashions depicted and the perspectives given. The story is about the Claus family who live in NYC in a nice building. The aunt is mysterious and she disappears from Halloween to Valentines day on 'Business'. Sophie decides to find out what is going on.

She find the aunt is the sister of Santa, so she helps out for
Mariah Roze
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute story that was very unexpected! I really enjoyed the read with my students :)
Mischenko
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story about Auntie Claus, Santa's sister, and how she teaches a lesson to her little niece. Very colorful. Kids love it.
Madeline K. Worrell
3.5

I read that this was an excellent Christmas story for children.

I am always looking for great books to give as gifts. I like it, but don't love it. I'll keep looking.
Abigail
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Fun Christmas Fantasies Featuring Santa Claus
Sophie Claus finds her great aunt, Auntie Claus, supremely "mysterioso" in this entertaining holiday tale, setting out to discover her older relative's secrets. Why does Auntie Claus wear a diamond key on a chain around her neck? Where does she disappear to on her annual "business trip," which lasts from Halloween to Valentine's Day? Stowing away in Auntie Claus's luggage, Sophie finds herself transported to the North Pole, where she is pressed into service as an elf, working in the mail-room. B ...more
Dolly
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a popular book at the school book fair and when our oldest asked me to read it to her and a few classmates during reading time in her Second grade class, I was more than delighted to. It was a bit of a disappointment for me, however. The story seemed to be disjointed and too long and the message was all but lost. It just didn't flow well for me, although if I read it again, I would probably adopt a few different accents. The kids seemed to like it, but I just thought it was okay. The il ...more
Joanna
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A classic tale that teaches the path to happiness that invites us to live the true meaning of Christmas, love, throughout the year. Christmas is not about what you get or how many gifts you are given but it is about giving of yourself to others, "it is far better to give than to receive". Because "all the best things in life are invisible".
Elisabeth
Very nice sentiment!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Christmas classic! I still remember my fourth grade teacher dressed up as Auntie Claus for Halloween one year (her costume was elaborate and spectacular!!). This book is definitely more for older kids--there is a lot of text in it for a picture book. But I love the story <3
Cheri
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darling little Christmas story.
Annie Grote
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Auntie Claus is a Christmas themed children's book about Santa Claus' sister written by Elise Primavera. It follows the story of a greedy and spoiled young girl named Sophie, who lives with her family in New York City. Sophie is curious about her great aunt, Auntie Claus and thinks that something is different about her; not only does she love Christmas more than anyone else, but she also often goes on mysterious business trips. Sophie decides to hide in her aunt's luggage and ends up in the Nort ...more
Kasey O'brien
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the spirit of the holidays, I reread Auntie Claus for the first time in about ten years. My mom used to read this to her kindergarten class every year and I remember absolutely loving it, but I couldn't remember what exactly it was about. What a treat! This book is every bit as good as I remember. The illustrations are rich and full of holiday cheer. It's about a young girl (Sophie) who (along with her brother) is spoiled rotten by her wealthy parents. Her whole family (the Kringles) love Chr ...more
Suzy
I consider myself a "professional aunt", doting on my 8 nieces and nephews over the years and now doting on their children. My ex-SIL pointed this book out to me which prompted me to give it as a gift this year. Of course, I had to read it before sending it off.

I loved this tale of the elegant, eccentric sister of Santa who goes on a "business trip" every year from Halloween to Valentine's Day. We can guess where she goes, but her niece Sophie is determined to find out by stowing away in Auntie
Terry
This is a fun story. The story is imaginatively told and illustrated. The elements of Auntie Claus' lessons are laid out subtly, but obvious in the end. It artfully weaves the spiritual essence of the holiday with its secular presentation.

The narrative is descriptive and wholly necessary, but wordier than what our preschooler is used to. When we read this in the afternoon, we had our preschooler's undivided attention. S/He didn't want to sit still for it at bedtime, though. Every time we read it
Alana
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic gift for a New Yorker Auntie to give her godchild at Christmas.
Sophie has always been curious about her rather eccentric great-aunt who lives in New York, Auntie Claus. She always has the best tree, she serves Christmas cookies all year round, and she always seems to take a mysterious "business trip" around the holidays. This year, Sophie's determined to find out what's going on, so she stows away in Auntie Claus's luggage.
The illustrations are really beautiful and we had a
Yolandon
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No other Christmas book has captured the imagination of my daughters like this one. They wondered if they might be on the list for bad children and were intrigued by how Santa (apparently) gets things done. They were so fascinated by Auntie Claus that one of my daughters even asked Santa in her Christmas letter if his wife was called Auntie Claus! The illustrations are fantastic too. This book has remained a firm favourite over several years now.
Amber Houslet
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book. This is going to become a staple in my Christmas collection.

Sophie's "never enough" attitude meets Auntie Claus's "Whether it's birthdays, Christmas or Halloween, it is far better to give than to receive" attitude in this tale where Sophie investigates where her Auntie Claus goes every Halloween through Valentine's Day and discovers that there is more to her great aunt that meets the eye.
Bree
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I thought it was very cute. Plus I love Christmas so you can't really go wrong. I thought the message of the book was very well delivered. I did think it felt a little bit long my little cousin lost interest pretty quick in, but I think as he gets older he will be more interested in it. I could see this being a favorite to read in the month of December. Thanks for spreading a little magic. May we all give more than we receive.
Madison Ramsey
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is the story of Santa's sister and niece. Sophie follows her Auntie Claus to the North Pole to see what business she is in. Sophie learns that her Aunt is actually Santa's sister. She learns the lesson that it is better to give than to receive.

I would not say this is my favorite Christmas story. However, I do love Christmas, so I would have this book in my classroom. It also has a good message about learning to give rather than receive.
Lizzy Fleming
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I thought it was very cute. Plus I love Christmas so you can't really go wrong. I thought the message of the book was very well delivered. I did think it felt a little bit long my little cousin lost interest pretty quick in, but I think as he gets older he will be more interested in it. I could see this being a favorite to read in the month of December. May we all give more than we receive.
Emma Zvonar
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Auntie Claus is a fun Holiday book for children to see the mystery of Santa. The illustrations are colorful and fun. The story is a fun twist on the original tale of Santa Claus, this story has a little girls great aunt who goes on vacation around Christmas each year. The story didn't flow well to me and lost me so it may be confusing for children.
Margaret Buettner
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a great holiday story about giving. It is nice because it is set in modern day, without Santa as the main character. It is about a spoiled little girl that learns about giving. It is ideal for elementary age students, although I enjoyed it myself at 20.
Nancy
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, christmas
It was okay. The "message" that 'it is far better to give than it is to receive' got a little lost, I think. Things didn't really flow or click for me.

Overall, fun story - maybe a little long, so be aware of attention spans; fun illustrations; sweet but glossed over message.
Marion Abbott
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a charming take on the Claus Family story and the age old ‘giving is better than receiving’ lesson. It’s great but not my favourite - I feel this might be a bit long and could do with one more edit.
Lynda
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magical, amusing and fun! Big, bold illustrations and a mysterious version of the Santa Claus family with a nice moral lesson for the kiddos. My four year old enjoyed this one and the sequel very much.
Becky Sandner
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun Christmas story. Sophie has always wondered why her aunt is gone for several months at a time during the year, so this year she decides to sneak along and find out. What will she discover when she realizes where her aunt goes every year? What is the family secret?
Sara Shupe
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the artwork and the story...but the artwork is what compelled me to read it;)
Omar
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fullfaun
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I adore this book, have read it every christmas since it came out. it is so wonderful to read to kids!
Miss Ryoko
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As an aunty who loves Christmas, I had to read this. It was a cute story. Auntie Claus is so chic ;-)
Another winner by Elise!! 1 5 Dec 02, 2008 08:19PM
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Welcome Comfort
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?

Auntie Claus (3 books)