Start by marking “Rebel Rising (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Rising (Star Wars)

Rebel Rising

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

When Jyn Erso is eight years old, her mother is murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents, she is not completely alone. Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own daughter and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to be ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Rising, please sign up.
Jorge Figueroa you do not need to worr too muc but you will enjo it more if you do catalyst, this one Guardians of the whills and then Inferno Squad.

Actuall this one…more

Actuall this one matches inferno squad really well, a one two punch(less)

Start your review of Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
Khurram
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did like this book, and I think Beth Revis did a great job describing Jyn Erso's emotional and tragic state. I don't think it would to be spoiler for anyone to know this is a tragic story. The only downside of the story for me was it was a bit too slow.

The book takes place in two time periods. The first is a few months before Jyn is taken to meet the Rebellion, the other is from the point where 8 year old Jyn has just seen her mother killed and is in the hiding cave.

We do learn more about Saw
Ben Brown
Man, it feels like I’ve been on a string of ‘eh’ Star Wars books for a while now. “Thrawn”, “Catalyst,” “Ahsoka” (which, try as I might, I couldn’t even bring myself to finish)…all of the last few Star Wars stories I’ve tried have fallen at or below the 3-star rating for me. I was hoping that Rebel Rising would turn things around and deliver a Star Wars reading experience that was distinct and memorable. Alas, it was not to be.

I actually really dug the first half of this, which picks up right f
Neil Hepworth
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Star Wars meh.

The beginning and end of the novel showed a lot of promise - dealing with both Jyn's early years with Saw, and with her subsequent capture by the Empire. Both were dark, gritty, and well plotted, even in their YA context. I just wish these moments in Jyn's life could have been explored by a non-YA novel. However, the middle of the book just reeks of the worst of YA tropes and character design. The love interest and his mother are very shallow, especially compared to how genuine the
Lata
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars. When Jyn is sitting in prison at the beginning of Rogue One, and throughout the story, she's not very emotive. There are hints in Rogue One of her tough years before, and this story fills in the details, from her time hiding from stormtroopers after her mother's death, to Cassian breaking her out of prison.
Unlike Rogue One, this story acknowledges that Jyn had a mother who was far more canny than Galen, and who had a positive influence on her daughter. This story also fills in detai
Justine
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this with my kids and it was a great pick for us. As expected, there wasn't much happiness in this story. That said, the sad progression of Jyn's childhood with Saw and her teen and early adulthood spent alone and ultimately ending in prison all make the redemption of hope she experiences in Rogue One that much sweeter. ...more
Stephen Richter
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a Parent/Teenager read together
If you are one of those people that loved the film Rogue One and wished for more Jen, you are in luck. Beth Revis has filled in the backstory . Now if you want the whole experience of the Rogue One story you can do the following. First read Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel which gives you the Galen backstory. Then start the film of Rogue One, stop as Jen sits in the hiding place. Read this book, Rebel Rising as you follow the young Jen from Saw to prison. Then restart Rogue One followed quickly by Ne ...more
Bria
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solidly enjoyable book that's unrelenting with its portrayal of how rough Jyn's life was after her mother died. Also Revis made me like Saw.

Full review on Tosche Station: http://tosche-station.net/review-rebe...
Katie_Living_in_Bookland
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
5 out of 5 stars.

When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents she is not completely alone—Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.

I first saw Rogue One about a month ago and I loved it. I thought it was just a beautif
Robert
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Rebel
Shelves: guerre-stellari

Farewell, Stardust...(Art Credit: DavidDeb on Deviantart)

This was probably my favourite Star Wars book since reading Lost Stars. I'll likely have more to say on the subject later...

OK, it's later.

This book takes the reader from the moment Saw Gerrera arrives to rescue Jyn Erso from her panic room after she witnesses Krennic kill her mother and take her father away, and follows her journey through being his ward to becoming a trained operative (with an extremely useful knack for code breaking) to
Cambear
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars

I loved Rogue One and Jyn Erso was such a great, but mysterious character. She clearly had a lot of backstory, but the film never dug into it. Presto, we have Rebel Rising to give us more
Jyn!

This book basically covers the years between Saw rescuing Jyn from the cave to her rescue at the beginning of Rogue One. Saw watches over young Jyn and teaches her how to fight and enables her forgery skills. We learn how and why Saw and Jyn parted ways and what happened to her next.

Th
Sol
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a full review of Rebel Rising, and contains spoilers.

I was so, so excited to start this book. Ever since seeing & falling in love with Rogue One, I was always curious to know more about Jyn and Saw's relationship, and the long gap of time stretched between Lyra's death and Jyn's time at Wobani. However, I found this book to be colossally disappointing and underwhelming in the scheme of Jyn's canon life, for a number of reasons.

This book betrayed me into thinking it was interesting by st
 Leah
MY RATING⇢ 3.5 ✰STARS✰

BOOK TAGS⇣

JYN ERSO'S STORY FROM THE TIME HER MOTHER DIES AND FATHER DISAPPEARS TOLD IN ALTERNATING TIMELINES NOT NEARLY ENOUGH DROIDS IN THIS ONE SPLASH OF ROMANCE

MY THOUGHTS⇣

This is my third book in Star Wars Disney Canon Novels and despite really liking Rogue One (the movie), I didn't like this as much as Solo or Most Wanted. It was okay, but it didn't grab me like those books did. Maybe, it was the lack of droids or the narration or the timing of when I read it
Brooke
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When 5 year-old Jyn Erso’s parents were murdered, she’s taken in and cared for by Saw Gerrera, a radical rebel willing to do anything to defeat the tyranny of the Empire. Desperate to prove herself, Jyn dedicates her time and energy to becoming the best rebel she can be. But when the truth of Jyn’s father brings danger to the group, Jyn will have to use everything she’s learned to survive.

I’ve read my very first Star Wars book! I was a little apprehensive about it to be honest, having not read
Giorgos Konomis
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I was a little bummed-out to learn that Luceno would not return to write Rebel Rising (He penned Catalyst) but my, oh, my was I wrong! I hadn't read anything from Beth Revis before (since I only read Star Wars) but I'm now glad that she got to work on a Star Wars project & more than glad that I got to read it.

Rebel Rising fills the huge gap between Catalyst & Rogue One, a task it does so brilliantly. The book doesn't cling onto a specific story or linger onto a certain point in
Liz
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Excellent backstory on Jyn Erso, a quick and enjoyable read. Two alternate timelines provide insight into Jyn's life and her motivations, helping to truly flesh-out her characterization in Rogue One. I love the straightforward prose Revis uses and the heart that is given to a outwardly cold character. I absolutely loved Rogue One (hot take: i think it's my fav???) and this book only serves to solidify that opinion. ...more
Ivy
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 🌟

Nice to see how Jyn met Saw and her time with Saw's cell of rebels. Sad that lots of people died in the book. Glad that Jyn joined the Rebellion. Wish she could have seen the Rebellion win the war. RIP Jyn and the rest of Rogue One.

May the Fourth be with you all!!!
Christy
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raise your hand if you sobbed like a big ol' baby at the end of Rogue One? 🙋🙋🙋 I so wanted more of Jyn and REBEL RISING is absolutely perfect for that! Of course, it wouldn't be right reading this book and talking about it without ultimate Star Wars fangirl, Kelly (@BookCrushin). So we are here today with a co-review!

Fans wanna know…How much of a Star Wars fan are you? Show off your personal Star Wars fandom.

CJ: I am a casual Star Wars fan. I've seen all the movies (in theaters since I've been
Raevenclaw_Reads
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Jyn was already one of my favorite Star Wars characters but to see in greater detail all she has been through and lost really gives her more depth and perspective. Right when she was ready to give up hope she remembers what’s worth fighting for. Easily a favorite Star Wars read!
Lance Shadow
Well... I can finally make a top 5 worst SW canon novels list... yaaaaaaaaaay.
Ok, there's more to it than that. While my initial plan was to read Rae Carson's The Rise of Skywalker as my next audibook listen through the Libby app, that novel wasn't available and I had to put it on hold. So I decided to check out this Rogue-One-Tie-In-Bridge novel instead while I wait for it to become available.

Folks, I have NEVER come across a Star Wars novel as frustrating as this one. Now let me be clear- I'
Mila
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great insight into the upbringing of Jyn Erso, it really helps to better understand her decisions and motives in Rogue One. However, the plot itself didn't hold up as well after Jyn left Saw Gerrera and his rebels so the middle part of the book was kind of boring. I'm still very glad that I read it, I love Jyn in part because she's such a complicated and conflicted character, and this novel only made me more sympathetic towards her. ...more
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Full review to come at a later time! This one was alright if you divorce it from the Star Wars canon and read it as just a story, but I never felt like anything was developed enough for me to really enjoy.
Liz
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come on Nerd HQ!
Donna
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This one was probably my least favorite of all the Star Wars books I've read. I liked the story of Jyn. I thought she was fleshed out in vivid strokes. Her despair and loneliness was carved so well into the story line but even with that, I struggled with some of the writing. It felt like a melodrama production, complete with cheesy awkward lines in the dialogue and at the end of several descriptive paragraphs.

This one is hard to rate because of my likes and dislikes, but I'll settle for 3 stars
Frédéric
Jun 28, 2021 rated it liked it
If you think Rogue One is the next best thing after The empire strikes back and want to know what happened to Jyn Erso between the moment Saw opened the hatch and the moment she escapes from prison then you gotta read this book.

Quite decent for a YA novel-to which I am not the target audience. Grim at the beginning, not too much 2 bits romance and an overall feel of despair, explaining Jyn and who she is.
Not the most gripping plot of all but absolutely worth taking a look for all SW fans.
John
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Good but not great. Parts of the writing seem flat. With all the challenges Erso goes through there could be a lot more emotion. In the end it is Star Wars and worth a read.
Robin
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this one mostly just was very boring, kind of.
Grace
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, sci-fi, tv-film-game
An exciting read which brings the Star Wars universe to life. It was a little slow at times, but worth a read if you are a fan!
DiscoSpacePanther
This was a YA novel, so it was a very quick and easy read. That being said, I found it highly enjoyable despite the constraints of the YA form.

Telling the story of Rogue One's Jyn Erso from the moment she is rescued by Saw Gerrera until the moment she is liberated from the Wobani prison camp, this novel provides the background to why she has such a troubled relationship with Saw, and why she is so mistrustful of the rebels, whilst still carrying a profound hatred for the Empire.

The entire focus
Andrew
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 9 Apr 20, 2017 01:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book title 2 17 Mar 24, 2017 06:20AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book missing from series 1 21 Jan 27, 2017 03:26PM

• Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • A Test of Courage (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Star Wars: Lando's Luck (Flight of the Falcon, #1)
See top shelves…
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • The Rising Storm
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)

News & Interviews

It's been a great summer for book clubs on Goodreads. There's nothing better than talking about books—members have been devouring...
“You never know. Something small and broken really can be powerful.” 5 likes
“Other species have interstellar travel,” Jyn protested. “That didn’t just come from humans. The humans never would have figured it out if not for—” Burta” 0 likes