Start by marking “Rebel Rising (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Rising (Star Wars)

Rebel Rising

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

Published May 2nd 2017 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Rising, please sign up.
Jorge Figueroa you do not need to worr too muc but you will enjo it more if you do catalyst, this one Guardians of the whills and then Inferno Squad.

Actuall this one…more

Actuall this one matches inferno squad really well, a one two punch(less)

Start your review of Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
Khurram
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did like this book, and I think Beth Revis did a great job describing Jyn Erso's emotional and tragic state. I don't think it would to be spoiler for anyone to know this is a tragic story. The only downside of the story for me was it was a bit too slow.

The book takes place in two time periods. The first is a few months before Jyn is taken to meet the Rebellion, the other is from the point where 8 year old Jyn has just seen her mother killed and is in the hiding cave.

We do learn more about Saw
Ben Brown
Man, it feels like I’ve been on a string of ‘eh’ Star Wars books for a while now. “Thrawn”, “Catalyst,” “Ahsoka” (which, try as I might, I couldn’t even bring myself to finish)…all of the last few Star Wars stories I’ve tried have fallen at or below the 3-star rating for me. I was hoping that Rebel Rising would turn things around and deliver a Star Wars reading experience that was distinct and memorable. Alas, it was not to be.

I actually really dug the first half of this, which picks up right f
Neil Hepworth
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Star Wars meh.

The beginning and end of the novel showed a lot of promise - dealing with both Jyn's early years with Saw, and with her subsequent capture by the Empire. Both were dark, gritty, and well plotted, even in their YA context. I just wish these moments in Jyn's life could have been explored by a non-YA novel. However, the middle of the book just reeks of the worst of YA tropes and character design. The love interest and his mother are very shallow, especially compared to how genuine the
Lata
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars. When Jyn is sitting in prison at the beginning of Rogue One, and throughout the story, she's not very emotive. There are hints in Rogue One of her tough years before, and this story fills in the details, from her time hiding from stormtroopers after her mother's death, to Cassian breaking her out of prison.
Unlike Rogue One, this story acknowledges that Jyn had a mother who was far more canny than Galen, and who had a positive influence on her daughter. This story also fills in detai
Justine
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this with my kids and it was a great pick for us. As expected, there wasn't much happiness in this story. That said, the sad progression of Jyn's childhood with Saw and her teen and early adulthood spent alone and ultimately ending in prison all make the redemption of hope she experiences in Rogue One that much sweeter.
Stephen Richter
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a Parent/Teenager read together
If you are one of those people that loved the film Rogue One and wished for more Jen, you are in luck. Beth Revis has filled in the backstory . Now if you want the whole experience of the Rogue One story you can do the following. First read Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel which gives you the Galen backstory. Then start the film of Rogue One, stop as Jen sits in the hiding place. Read this book, Rebel Rising as you follow the young Jen from Saw to prison. Then restart Rogue One followed quickly by Ne ...more
Katie_Living_in_Bookland
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
5 out of 5 stars.

When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents she is not completely alone—Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.

I first saw Rogue One about a month ago and I loved it. I thought it was just a beautif
Bria
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solidly enjoyable book that's unrelenting with its portrayal of how rough Jyn's life was after her mother died. Also Revis made me like Saw.

Full review on Tosche Station: http://tosche-station.net/review-rebe...
Cambear
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars

I loved Rogue One and Jyn Erso was such a great, but mysterious character. She clearly had a lot of backstory, but the film never dug into it. Presto, we have Rebel Rising to give us more
Jyn!

This book basically covers the years between Saw rescuing Jyn from the cave to her rescue at the beginning of Rogue One. Saw watches over young Jyn and teaches her how to fight and enables her forgery skills. We learn how and why Saw and Jyn parted ways and what happened to her next.

Th
 LEAH⇢
MY RATING⇢ 3.5 ✰STARS✰

BOOK TAGS⇣

JYN ERSO'S STORY FROM THE TIME HER MOTHER DIES AND FATHER DISAPPEARS TOLD IN ALTERNATING TIMELINES NOT NEARLY ENOUGH DROIDS IN THIS ONE SPLASH OF ROMANCE

MY THOUGHTS⇣

This is my third book in Star Wars Disney Canon Novels and despite really liking Rogue One (the movie), I didn't like this as much as Solo or Most Wanted. It was okay, but it didn't grab me like those books did. Maybe, it was the lack of droids or the narration or the timing of when I read it
Sol
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a full review of Rebel Rising, and contains spoilers.

I was so, so excited to start this book. Ever since seeing & falling in love with Rogue One, I was always curious to know more about Jyn and Saw's relationship, and the long gap of time stretched between Lyra's death and Jyn's time at Wobani. However, I found this book to be colossally disappointing and underwhelming in the scheme of Jyn's canon life, for a number of reasons.

This book betrayed me into thinking it was interesting by st
Brooke
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When 5 year-old Jyn Erso’s parents were murdered, she’s taken in and cared for by Saw Gerrera, a radical rebel willing to do anything to defeat the tyranny of the Empire. Desperate to prove herself, Jyn dedicates her time and energy to becoming the best rebel she can be. But when the truth of Jyn’s father brings danger to the group, Jyn will have to use everything she’s learned to survive.

I’ve read my very first Star Wars book! I was a little apprehensive about it to be honest, having not read
Ivy
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 🌟

Nice to see how Jyn met Saw and her time with Saw's cell of rebels. Sad that lots of people died in the book. Glad that Jyn joined the Rebellion. Wish she could have seen the Rebellion win the war. RIP Jyn and the rest of Rogue One.

May the Fourth be with you all!!!
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Full review to come at a later time! This one was alright if you divorce it from the Star Wars canon and read it as just a story, but I never felt like anything was developed enough for me to really enjoy.
Liz
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come on Nerd HQ!
Liz
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Excellent backstory on Jyn Erso, a quick and enjoyable read. Two alternate timelines provide insight into Jyn's life and her motivations, helping to truly flesh-out her characterization in Rogue One. I love the straightforward prose Revis uses and the heart that is given to a outwardly cold character. I absolutely loved Rogue One (hot take: i think it's my fav???) and this book only serves to solidify that opinion.
Donna
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This one was probably my least favorite of all the Star Wars books I've read. I liked the story of Jyn. I thought she was fleshed out in vivid strokes. Her despair and loneliness was carved so well into the story line but even with that, I struggled with some of the writing. It felt like a melodrama production, complete with cheesy awkward lines in the dialogue and at the end of several descriptive paragraphs.

This one is hard to rate because of my likes and dislikes, but I'll settle for 3 stars
John
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Good but not great. Parts of the writing seem flat. With all the challenges Erso goes through there could be a lot more emotion. In the end it is Star Wars and worth a read.
Mila
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great insight into the upbringing of Jyn Erso, it really helps to better understand her decisions and motives in Rogue One. However, the plot itself didn't hold up as well after Jyn left Saw Gerrera and his rebels so the middle part of the book was kind of boring. I'm still very glad that I read it, I love Jyn in part because she's such a complicated and conflicted character, and this novel only made me more sympathetic towards her.
Giorgos Konomis
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I was a little bummed-out to learn that Luceno would not return to write Rebel Rising (He penned Catalyst) but my, oh, my was I wrong! I hadn't read anything from Beth Revis before (since I only read Star Wars) but I'm now glad that she got to work on a Star Wars project & more than glad that I got to read it.

Rebel Rising fills the huge gap between Catalyst & Rogue One, a task it does so brilliantly. The book doesn't cling onto a specific story or linger onto a certain point in
Andrew
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Spencer
This was a decent novel but it really lost momentum and some of my interest in the middle. The book started and ended well, but the love interest felt forced and sometimes it felt like nothing was particularly happening apart from reflection of the same memories and thoughts. Jyn and Saw were pretty well developed but most of the other characters seemed a bit two dimensional. I liked the book but it could have been much better.
Brandon St Mark
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cool look into Jyn! I like the way Revis showed Saw's transition from a hardcore rebel into a man who really isn't all together there. I also really liked the "chapters"/"interludes" that showed Jyn on the enternment camp on Wobani, they really helped to solidify how downtrodden Jyn was in the beginning of the movie. I thought this was a really good entry into the new canon, though Dark Disciple and Ahsoka are still my favorites (in that order).
Nicis
«You never know. Something small and broken really can be powerful.»

Really good compared to my experience with the last batch of SW books! The story never feels slow or irrelevant, sometimes its even too fast, with a Jyn that suffers tragedy after tragedy, slowly losing hope in everyone and everything. It hurt every time she was finally being happy just for the rebels or the Empire to destroy it all. She starts the book so small, so afraid, so lonely and Revis really makes you feel for the i
Melissa
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I really enjoyed this backstory read, it covers Jyn’s life from the time she is left alone by her parents encounter with the Empire until where the Rebels find her in the beginning of Rogue One. I really liked getting more insight into her formative years, on the years that made her into the person she became, and some Saw backstory too, can’t complain there, that guy really needs a backstory movie/book of his own.
Dreximgirl
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning more about Jyn and her backstory in this book. We pretty much get everything and it fleshed out her character a lot. I'm looking forward to re-watching Rogue One now.

Highly recommend if you liked Jyn and want to know more about her.
Stephanie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Episodic backstory for Jyn, whom I love
Peter
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great backstory to rogue one. I do enjoy when we get to learn more about the characters.
Twofrontteethstillcrooked
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are a couple of nit-picky things that probably bring my actual rating down to 4.5 stars, but honestly I loved how well Jyn was fleshed out here, especially as a kid/teen, and there're a huge number of scenes between her and other characters (known to us already or not) too that gave this a depth I appreciated. Not a particularly happy read, but even that seems fair. 'Antihero' is one of those terms to give people fits, and I'm not sure it's absolutely applicable to Jyn, but she's Sure Comp ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 9 Apr 20, 2017 01:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book title 2 17 Mar 24, 2017 06:20AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book missing from series 1 21 Jan 27, 2017 03:26PM

• Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)