Jump to ratings and reviews

Steampunk Fairy Tales #2

Steampunk Fairy Tales: Volume II

A heart-broken scientist travels back in time to prevent his wife's death, but a mysterious creature foils his plans.

Escaped slaves Thomas and Mia find an ancient train in the desert. What peculiar magic does it contain?

A three-inch tall samurai goes missing in a house full of demons and possessed vegetable graters, and it's up to his girlfriend to rescue him.

And what, exactly, is a beerbot?

In Steampunk Fairy Tales Volume II you’ll find whirling airships, puzzling brides, wheezing drunkards, and evil thief-kings.

Each enchanting fairy tale contains elements of futuristic Victorian fashion and steam-powered machinery; with inspiration from eight countries, including Australia, Iceland, and Russia.

Volume II follows in the rich vein of charming and unique works contained in Volume I, for lovers of the genre and for those who are just discovering it.

274 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 16, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Leslie Anderson

28 books48 followers
Leslie and Dave are Pittsburgh, PA authors and caretakers to three unpredicatble, and often demanding, mutts.

Inspired by the worlds and stories of David Eddings, Baldur's Gate, and Final Fantasy VI, they always strive to imbue their fantastical stories with a dose of humor and plenty of intrigue.

On the rare instance they aren't writing, they forge ahead on any of their other numerous obsessions, such as gardening, programming, and putting together Legos while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (7%)
1 star
3 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews
Profile Image for Marquise.
1,709 reviews397 followers
July 16, 2019
Decent overall, but didn't find any of my favourite tales here and the majority of the nine stories didn't resonate with me. Best for me were H. L. Burke's The Clockwork Cabinet, a retelling of the Greek myth of Pandora's forbidden box; Kathy Steinemann's Felis Aurantiacus, an original steampunk cum crazy scientist inventor cum time-travel tale; and Heather White's Vasilisa and the Mechanical Matryoshka, a retelling of the Russian folktale "Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga."
Profile Image for Heather Hayden.
Author 13 books95 followers
December 26, 2016
I loved the first volume of this anthology series, and bought the second one as soon as it was available. This was the perfect sequel; more fun, steampunky tales based on fairy tales, including one that continued the adventures of one of my favorite characters from the previous volume. If you love fairy tales, steampunk, and anthologies full of great stories, definitely check this out!
Profile Image for Ulla.
402 reviews18 followers
October 26, 2016
This book contains 9 stories which are more or less loosely based on fairy tales from around the world. It's enjoyable to have them set in a steam world with quite interesting machines.

I especially liked:
The Clockwork Cabinet by H.L. Burke, with nice characters and kind of a message.
Felis aurantiacus by Kathy Steinemann, with time travelling and a funny conclusion.

AND

Esmeralda by Ashley Capes. This one meets my taste in every aspect and to me it is one of the best fairy tales ever! For that alone, it is worth buying this book!
56 reviews
August 13, 2020
Just like opening gifts from a friend, anthologies introduce someone or something not normally sought by yourself. Pre - vetted and organized seamlessly flowing folklore and fables from different ethnic sources are twisted towards Steampunk settings.
Obviously the authors are good and each demenstrates unique style portraying characters and background.
This is why I like this book. The study in Steampunk starts with a synopsis of the story, the story, epilogue and winds up with the chance to investigate the authors. I'm also impressed that each tale stems from a cultural story with reasons and notes from the author.
Nice job giving people a chance to explore this genre and the way it was presented.
3,075 reviews8 followers
July 7, 2022
Wonderful entertaining fantasy listening 🎶🔰

Nine will written Steampunk Fairy Tales adventure thriller short stories by nine individual authors. Each story is different with interesting characters and conclusion. Each is based on fairy tales from different countries. I would highly recommend this novel to readers looking for something different. As with all box 📦 sets some are better than others or more interesting. Enjoy the adventure of reading 👓 or listening 🎶 to Alexa as I do because of eye damage and health issues. 2022 😢⏰👒🎩
Profile Image for Serena.
225 reviews3 followers
June 27, 2018
Steampunk Fairy Tales Volume II

These are mostly retellings of familiar fairy tales from around the world. I like anthologies because they introduce the reader to many different authors and styles of writing. The stories in this volume are interesting reinterpretations. Because they are short, they tend to be quick reads. Like all anthologies this one is easy to put down between stories, which is why it took me so long to finish it.
Profile Image for Oscar.
563 reviews20 followers
July 17, 2018
While I did not love every story, I enjoyed the new takes on soem old tales. I enjoyed Volume I and will likely continue on to Volume III.

This is a good concept for authors to show their chops when readers are uncertain if they should buy something. They take a hot genre, Steampunk, and mix it with a collection of short fairy tales to sample the wares of those writers.

Excellent concept and enjoyable read.
510 reviews4 followers
July 12, 2017
Great new age fairy tales!

I got this because it had my favorite author included. As usual, Ashley Capes delivered a great story, but I was pleasantly surprised by all the other authors. Each story was fascinating in its own right. I especially loved the ones that you could recognize the original story from. I'll be reading book one.
Profile Image for J.
70 reviews15 followers
August 20, 2017
SFT V2

Not a huge fan of steampunk in any form but the stories in this collection were cute and unique in their own way. It didn't win me over for the style but I would be willing to read it to my kids.
Profile Image for Melissa Coleman.
Author 4 books75 followers
October 17, 2017
I enjoyed reading both volumes of Steampunk Fairy Tales, but this one is the best (in my opinion). It's definitely worth reading both books though. The stories are imaginative and creative. You can't go wrong with this book.
Thanks for the great read.
120 reviews
July 15, 2018
Different type of stories

These stories are a different kind of fairy tales. Based on old folklore they bring these old tales to life. . Really like the steampunk type of stories will look into buying some of the books told about by the authors that wrote these stories.
4 reviews
August 12, 2017
Fun read, I will be looking for more books from this author.,....B
Profile Image for Indigo.
51 reviews
November 4, 2018
Not as good as the first book in the series, but *definitely* worth a read.
Profile Image for Carole O'Brien.
211 reviews6 followers
February 1, 2018
It was ok, some fairy tales I had not heard before others were just a reworking of original fairy tales.
Profile Image for Charlene.
63 reviews
October 30, 2019
Quite a bit of fun and fancy

Every story was well told and fascinating. Adding to the interest was that the original stories came from all over the world.
Profile Image for Sarah.
959 reviews4 followers
March 19, 2017
Some really good stories in this collection, although some were a little dull. I think it would have helped if I had read all the original stories.
Profile Image for Abby.
24 reviews20 followers
March 9, 2017
I'm beginning to think I just don't get steampunk. Or that what appeals to me about it isn't what everyone else is getting out of it.

Most of these stories are technically competent, but having returned the book, I find I can't remember anything about half of them, and am lukewarm on the rest.
Profile Image for A.J. Flowers.
Author 53 books237 followers
December 22, 2016
I loved the first edition and the second one didn't disappoint! I enjoyed that these stories seemed a little lengthier, and the characterization was great. The tone of each story definitely kept to the "steampunk fairy tale" feel and I really liked that about it.
My only complaint was that I would have liked information about the authors at the end of the book instead of at the end of each story. It took me out to swipe through a few pages to get to the next story rather than get to read about the authors once I'd gotten to the end. But ultimately, it didn't detract from my enjoyment since the writing was well done. Plus, those covers are gorgeous! It makes for a nicely wrapped package.
Profile Image for Pat.
6 reviews
September 6, 2021
Good short reads

Very enjoyable. 4 stars because most of the stories felt unfinished. There was more I wanted to learn about the created worlds.
Profile Image for Michelle Cox.
21 reviews
April 20, 2017
Another good read, I do like a short story at bedtime and these did not disappoint. Its also a good way to try out a new genre if you are not sure and don't want to commit to a whole novel. having said that I love steampuck in any case
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.