Start by marking “Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17)

Murder on Amsterdam Avenue

(Gaslight Mystery #17)

In this Gaslight Mystery from the national bestselling author of Murder in Murray Hill, midwife Sarah Brandt and Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy investigate foul play in the secretive high-society world of nineteenth-century New York City…

Published May 5th 2015 by Penguin Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Amsterdam Avenue, please sign up.
Nina I, personally, would start with the first book. There are a few references to past cases as you go through the series, and there is a part of the…moreI, personally, would start with the first book. There are a few references to past cases as you go through the series, and there is a part of the storyline that evolves through a few of the books, (starting with about number 4) so reading them in order is probably the best option.(less)

Phrynne
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Seventeen books into the series and big changes are afoot for Sarah and Frank in both their working and their personal lives. Meanwhile a friend of Sarah's family has been murdered, poisoned by arsenic, and Frank is asked to pursue and solve the case.

The first murder is quickly followed by more and there are suspects galore. Some amazing family secrets are exposed too and Sarah, her mother, Maeve and Gino all assist Frank in putting the clues together. I think even Sarah's father is involved a l
Jonetta
Sarah Brandt accompanies her mother on a condolence call to a family friend whose son died inexplicably after being ill for only a few days. The father, Gerald Oakes, takes them aside and asks Sarah if she’ll arrange to have Frank meet with him as he fears his son may have been poisoned. Frank does some investigating and quickly learns that Gerald has every right to be suspicious. In the meantime, Sarah and Frank’s wedding plans are on hold until the house renovations are complete and there does ...more
Linda
I have only four things to say.

~I could eat these books if they were edible.

~I loved this story.

~Ms. Thompson, once again, supplied plenty of entanglements, cracks and deflections; she had me continually guessing who the villain was.

~I cannot wait until November, 2015, for the next story. *Sigh.*
Veronica
**Reread May 2019: I listened to the audiobook for this reread and I didn't care for the narrator at all. I pretty much hated all the voices she used for the various characters, particularly Frank's. Otherwise, my original impressions of the book still stand.**

The Gaslight Mystery series has become one of my comfort reads. You know, those books you can go to where you can just sit back, relax, prop your feet up on the table and feel at home. This wasn't the best book in the series what with Sara
Robin
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery
When a family friend dies suddenly, Sarah Brandt and her mother make a bereavement call. It seems Charles Oakes suddenly took ill. He died a few days later. Charles' father thinks there may have been foul play and asks Sarah if she and her fiancée, Frank Malloy, would investigate. They discover that Charles was poisoned. Someone put arsenic in his warm milk. But everyone in the household professes to love Charles...everyone except his wife. Now Sarah and Frank have to put their wedding plans on ...more
 Olivermagnus
This is the seventeenth book in the Gaslight Mystery series by Victoria Thompson set in New York City in the late 1890s. Former City detective, Frank Malloy, and widowed midwife, Sarah Brandt, are engaged now and waiting for their new house to be renovated before they marry. Sarah and her mother have just come back from a condolence call to an old friend where she is asked by the dead man's family if Frank would be willing to investigate the circumstances. Frank is at loose ends now and eagerly ...more
Gretchen Ingram
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Delightful and satisfying! I'm very glad to know that this will not be the last of the Gaslight mysteries and I'm a bit excited to find out more about Maeve and Gino in the next book.

I do have to say I like that the romance is a secondary plot and while it's nice to have the characters grow and change over the course of the series, each book stands alone quite well.
Piyangie
This is the least interesting murder-mystery story of the series. The concept behind the story is novel, but it was poorly developed. I've not seen Frank, Sarah, Gino and Maeve portrayed with so poor investigative skills. They seemed to be ignoring vital clues and exercising amateur deductive reasoning. The writing was too repetitive, and at times it was exasperating. This is by far the poorly written installment I have read of the series. It is sadly disappointing.

The only thing satisfactory w
Malia
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Another great addition to this series, and another one is apparently set to come this November. Can't wait!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Mo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-dl-tb, mystery, series, 2017
I must admit that I am getting very tired of how much padding is being done in this series. First Malloy learns something, then he tells Sarah all about it… in detail… then she tells Maeve… in detail… then they all fill in Gino… in detail… and on and on it goes. I can’t tell you how many times I read that milk is believed to bind arsenic and soothe the throat and stomach.

I consider this type of repetitious writing to be nothing more than “fill”.

description

NOTE: If it hadn’t been for (view spoiler)
Leslie
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Sarah are a terrific couple, and their sleuthing abilities and opportunities complement each other so well. I appreciated the reminder that the Civil War still had an impact in 1898-99, even up in NY. The character development and the story are equally strong, and we get a glimpse at a part of NY, the black community, that carries such interesting parallels to modern life.
Betty Strohecker
This is another terrific entry in the Gaslight mystery series. In 17 books, Thompson always manages to create totally different scenarios around the murder and present a new aspect of history. Since the 1890's is only 30 years after the end of the Civil War, it makes sense that refugees would find their way to New York City. The wife of a wealthy man just happens to be a young woman he rescued after finding her alone on a Georgia plantation, with all of her family dead. Now, over thirty years la ...more
TheSkepticalReader
Finally. A less horrifying murder.
Steven
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is another enjoyable installment of the Gaslight Mystery series. In this novel, now former midwife Sarah Brandt is engaged to be married to former police detective Frank Malloy. As they make plans for their wedding and work on having their future home renovated, a friend of Sarah's mother asks for Malloy's help, because he thinks his son was murdered. When this turns out to be true, Malloy and Sarah find themselves involved in an ever-thickening plot as more people fall victim to the diabol ...more
Tammie
In the midst of Sarah and Frank’s wedding preparations, Sarah accompanies her mother on a condolence call to the Upper West Side, where Charles Fairfax, the son of family friends, has died unexpectedly after suffering from a mysterious disease. It is a tragic and all too common story—or so it seems.

3.5 stars. This would get 4 stars if I were rating it based solely on the fact that Sarah and Malloy finally get married. It would only get 3 stars for the mystery. The mystery was easy to figure ou
Pamela
I cannot believe Frank and Sarah are finally getting married. It seems like forever that fans have been waiting this event. I have followed Sarah, as a midwife since her first book. I was reading when she adopted her daughter Catherine, and brought Maeve home to live with her. Meeting Det. Frank Malloy, and his grouchy mother, and his deaf son Brian was so great, yet took so long to develop into a lasting relationship for Sarah. That said, there is a back story of poisoning that happens to one o ...more
Sabine
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say that I adore Victoria Thompson? This series is so precious and I really hope there are many more to come even though Sarah and Frank are now happily married. I just love the writing, the setting and the character so much, I could read on forever. This is book no. 17 and the storyline is constantly fascinating and the cases always interesting. There are so many series out there where you grow bored after reading a few and I never got bored here.

This case was quite intriguing and I
Debbie
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Murder on Amsterdam Avenue" is a historical mystery set in New York city in 1898. It's the seventeenth book in the series, but you don't need to read the previous novels to understand this one and this story didn't spoil the previous whodunits.

There was a nice level of historical detail regarding the city and social structure. The characters were varied and had realistic reactions to events. Frank and Sarah asked questions and followed up clues in a logic way until they all fit together. There
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
As former Detective Sergeant, Frank Malloy tries to find his future as a very wealthy man, his fiancée Mrs. Sarah Brandt is also trying to decide if she really wants to go back to the life of the wealthy matron. A perfect solution comes amidst the turmoil of their minds and the clutter of their new home being renovated.

Sarah's Father, Mr. Dexter asks Frank to go to the aid of a fellow Knickerbocker and find out whether the man's son is dead of natural causes or someone helped him along. Eventual
Daniele
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016

This is the solid 17th entry in the Gaslight Mystery series. Frank and Sarah are finally getting married, but the wedding is not the focus of the book. The mystery is solid, though perhaps a bit predictable. This is my favorite historical time period, and the elements related to the Civil War provided even more enjoyment. This can be read as a standalone. I look forward to the other books in this long running series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an ho
V.M.
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, but I think this might be my favorite book yet. I've followed Sarah Brandt and Frank Malloy from their first meeting. While I am excited that they finally (spoiler alert) get married, I was concerned that the series would lose something if they did. But I need not have feared. Victoria Thompson manages to keep the tension and the suspense from beginning to end. This book tackles some difficult subjects in our countries past with skill and finesse. I can't wait to see what com ...more
Pamela Priest
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another great book in this series. I love the addition of Gino and Mauve in the investigation. I love Frank as an investigator instead of a police officer. the twists and turns kept me reading, and whodunit was a surprise! Finally, I love thst Frank and Sarah are married! Yay! I'm looking forward to the next book coming out in November!
Meredith
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally!

Another amazing book in the Gaslight Series! I love the evolution of all characters from Frank and Sarah to Maeve and Gino throughout the series and this one did not disappoint. The story was interesting and I love how the author ties in the social problems of the day into each of her books. Can't wait for the next installment.
Joan Bowman
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A poisoning, a scandal, and a wedding.

I've read this entire series and would recommend all of the books.. Not only have I gained a better understanding of the time period and how both wealthy and poor lived, the mysteries are quite well done too. So happy for Sarah and Frank. They are real to me.
Melani D
I absolutely love this series and this installment was no exception. Ms. Thompson has created likeable and believable characters. The plot was well constructed and kept my attention. I would recommend this series to any lover of a good historical mystery
Lynne Tull
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery from Ms. Thompson. I am glad that she is now incorporating all of the characters into the story. Again, a surprise solution to the mystery. A hint to the 'happily-ever-after' story line: the house is finished. Recommend!
cheryl ann crenshaw
Long awaited wedding.

Frank and Sarah finally get married. It only took seventeen books but it's done. As usual Miss Thompson has a great mystery with a large cast of who could have done it. I am so pleased to learn this book will not be the last Sarah and Frank book.

Paula
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, what can I say. I started the series with the wedding that avid readers of the series have been waiting for a long time. But I was more interested in the mystery and it was quit satisfying with twists and turns. Guess I will have to go back and read some of the earlier books.
Evelyn Morgan
a very good book ~ finished in two days
Elisha (lishie)
Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Won't post any spoilers but this one made me really happy. I figured out the whodunit as usual but love, love, love Sarah & Malloy <3
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 6 6 May 13, 2019 01:43PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 5 4 May 13, 2019 01:41PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 4 May 13, 2019 01:40PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 6 5 May 13, 2019 01:37PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 6 4 May 13, 2019 01:36PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 4 May 13, 2019 01:35PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 6 5 May 13, 2019 01:33PM

• The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • A Golden Cage (Newport Gilded Age #2)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady, (The Darling Dahlias, #6)
  • A Bucket of Ashes (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #6)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • Hell with the Lid Blown Off (Alafair Tucker #7)
  • Sup with the Devil (Abigail Adams #3)
  • The Ghost of Christmas Past (Molly Murphy #17)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
  • Murder at Westminster Abbey (Elizabethan Mysteries, #2)
Victoria Thompson is the USA Today bestselling author of the Edgar® and Agatha nominated Gaslight Mystery series and the Sue Grafton Memorial Award nominated Counterfeit Lady Series. She was nominated for an Edgar Award from Mystery Writers of America in 2001, and in 2012 she received a Career Achievement Award in Mystery Writing from RT Magazine. Six of her Gaslight Mysteries were nominated for a ...more

Gaslight Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)