Start by marking “The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness

The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness

The international publishing phenomenon and ridiculously funny new parody series that helps grown-ups learn about the world around them using large clear type, simple and easy-to-grasp words, frequent repetition, and thoughtful matching of text with pictures.

Have you been having trouble with the How, Why, and Wheres? Well fear no more. The Fireside Grown-Up Guide series un
Published October 11th 2016 by Atria Books (first published October 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness

Jan-Maat
One of the other mainstays of my early reading were Ladybird books, particularly the history series many of which were written by a gentleman with the curious surname of du Garde Peach. Anyhow all these books had the same format, small hardbacks, text in a large friendly font on the left hand page with a full page colour illustration on the right hand side. They covered a variety of subjects in addition to history, I had Ladybird bird books on Conversation, the Telescope (I'm not sure if the mic ...more
Pink
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has anyone else discovered these Ladybird books for adults? They're a nice quick and comical read. Here's my favourite mindfulness tip -

Alison has been staring at the beautiful tree for five hours.

She was meant to be in the office. Tomorrow she will be fired.

In this way, mindfulness will have solved her work-related stress.

Negin
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up with Ladybird books and my children had many also. This short and quick read is part of a fun series for adults and quite frankly, they’re an absolute riot. The illustrations are the same classic ones from before and seeing them was pure nostalgia.
Kasa Cotugno
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
hahahaha
Meep
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas prezzie - hubby knows me well!

Nice nostalgic feel from a childhood filled with Ladybird books, several of the illustrations are familiar to me. Like the originals there is a page of large print then a classic picture page to accompany it. Unlike the originals this is geared to adults, filled with wry but gentle humour. Nothing overstated, plenty to raise a grin.

While I'm equally thrilled with my adult-colouring-book the latest push for 'Mindfulness' amuses me, I don't need a backpack a
Petra
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I grew up with Ladybird books and so did my children. We all loved them. Feeling nostalgic, I thought this adult version would be a nice thing to try. It's part of the "Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups" series in the UK or the "Fireside Grown-Up Guides" in the US version, now published by Touchstone. (Thank you very much to them for providing me with a copy via NetGalley). The books combine the classic pictures with small amounts of text explaining our confusing world to grown-ups. Very relevant in ...more
Bridget
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Well, this was a treat, a funny and cool treat. I loved the artwork, cool old school vintage art, the different kinds of mindfulness were extremely entertaining and very tongue in cheek.

As the book says "Mindfulness: the skill of thinking you are doing something, when in fact you are doing nothing". Oh look at me bring all mindful as I sloth around on the couch contemplating, finally the excuse I've always needed. A great laugh.
Alex Sarll
These seem to have started turning up in charity shops now - even more places to read them in full under cover of browsing!
(NB I bought other things from both charity shops where I did this today. I'm not a monster. Or at least, not that sort)
Michael Gardner
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius! Quite possibly the best five minutes reading I've had in ages. I laughed so hard I cried, especially at page 46. Not just a series of gags, this gem is an incisive piece of social commentary. Deserves regular reading.
Birgit
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendell achieves a state of mindfulness by imagining he is floating in a beautiful lake until his mind empties of everyday worries.
Soon he is aware of himself, but no longer worried about money, work, family or whether he left the taps on.
Many home insurance policies now cover Acts of Mindfulness.
Wayne McCoy
'The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to Mindfulness' by Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris combines classic book illustrations with funny captions. Like the other volumes, I had mixed reactions.

The captions are told in large fonts. They are a little funny. Where the humor comes in is with the classic illustration that has been found to match up with the text. Some of the pictures seem idyllic or fantastical, like a chair being pulled by swans or a beautiful woman painting in a window. Some are mundane, like
Deanne
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Years ago as a child I read ladybird books, this version for adults has the same style of writing with the corresponding picture but did make me smile.
The pictures are original ladybird pictures, some I'm even sure I saw as a child, but I don't remember phrases like:-
People learn a lot about themselves from mindfulness. Mindfulness has taught Django to live in the moment. He used to live in the peak district.
The book also advertises other books in the series which don't exist, but sound like fun
Maggie Gordon
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
My partner has decided to collect these when they pop up at the used bookstore. This one was worth the purchase for the joke about being kidnapped by swans :) If you want a few minutes of chuckles, the Ladybird books are worth a look, and mindfulness is always a fun topic to poke fun at :)
Cathrine
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Hysterical :-)
Ariya
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big laugh-out-loud surprise!
Katy
Didn’t get it, I didn’t find it funny at all. This was a huge miss for me.
Wendi
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, humor, fiction, netgalley
Back in July, I wrote a review on a book I found in England called The Ladybird Book of the Mid-Life Crisis. Ladybird Books is a (very) longstanding publisher in the UK and have a huge back catalog of images from their 150 years of publishing mostly children's books. They've recently taken many of those images an paired them up with clever text to offer a series that "understands that the world is just as confusing to a forty-year-old as it is to a four-year old. We're here to break down the mos ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is short, sharp and very funny. I grew up with Ladybird books and they were very much a staple part of my childhood. Fast forward and I find myself reading them again, although this time they are very different.

Instead of a well loved fairytale Ladybird book we now have a series that is written for adults and they are entertaining, sometime satirical but always funny.

This book looks at mindfulness. Mindfulness to me is a kind of meditation and it has a growing popularity but as with all tha
Karl Orbell
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fifth and final book in this series today, well worth the twenty-odd pounds it cost to get them here this morning to cheat my way to victory on the yearly book count!

This edition is about the topic of Mindfulness. No I don't know what that actually is either.

Mindfulness appears to be about clearing your mind of problems and entering a state of peaceful calm and tranquillity. I think it seems quite similar to being a pretentious prick.

Example funny:

Jane has tried many ways of energising and d
Andyso
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very long and hard book to finish. I found myself staring for seconds at a time at each page, taking in the details of the image and the meaningful philosophy of the words.

(for those that might not realise, that was meant as a joke - this is a slim book but is also a laugh out loud funny poke at the pomposity some people bring to mindfulness)

Well worth the 15 minutes it takes to read and then read again out loud to anyone who's within earshot.
Estelle
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice idea, but the joke wears thin very quickly
Nyx
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As somebody who does use mindfulness techniques, I found this to be refreshing and funny. Great to read when you are not in the mood for faffing.

Poor Laura!
Ken
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fun enjoyable reads.

Entertaining stock-fillers, though Id image most readers would have forgotten the jokes by January!
Hemavathy DM Suppiah
Ridiculously witty and laugh-out-loud funny, it's laden with irony and humour. There's a pun on every page. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
Donna
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tongue in cheek guide to mindfulness. As someone trying to be mindful I found yhis book entertaining
Kirsty Stanley
Made me giggle and Poole (where I'm from) even got a mention.
Jeffrey Bumiller
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen got me this for Christmas and it had been sitting under a bunch of mail in the kitchen for a long time and I forgot it was there. Clearly I need to read more about mindfulness. Anyway, this is really funny and I actually think the illustrations are very beautiful. Some of this stuff is just plain silly and I like it but there's one little passage that captured perfectly how I feel quite often, "You can achieve mindfulness anywhere, simply by filling your mind with images of calm, serenity, ...more
Bunny
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss, read-in-16
Received via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and unbiased review

This is a hilarious and fun series of books about how dumb being a grown-up is.

That's a gross oversimplification, but it's still true. And they're still hilarious and fun. I'm curious if the pictures were found and the stories written around them, or if the pictures were made for the book. It's more fun if it's the former.
Ambar
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Hilarious.

As a practitioner of mindfulness, I couldn't resist finding out what this book had to offer. It's just page after page of hilarity, probably the funniest of the Ladybird "books for grown-ups" that I've read. It feels so good to have some levity about an otherwise serious subject (that I happen to respect and adore) :)
Wilde Sky
This book on “mindfulness” (trying to live in the moment) is written in a childish format.

I found this book mildly amusing - a few ironic smiles rather than any proper laughs.

Overall 2.5 – one to borrow from the library rather than buy.
  • Quiet the Mind
  • Goodbye Soldier  (War Memoirs, #6)
  • Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Repeal the 8th
  • Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
  • Murphy's Law: Complete
  • The Hanged Man: A Story of Miracle, Memory, and Colonialism in the Middle Ages
  • We Go to the Gallery
  • Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid
  • Fishing in Utopia
  • Raising Unicorns: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Starting and Running a Successful - and Magical! - Unicorn Farm
  • Thatcher Stole My Trousers
  • Scotland's Jesus: The Only Officially Non-racist Comedian
  • Angry Little Girls
  • Five Give Up the Booze (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)
  • Baa Baa Smart Sheep