Start by marking “The Alcoholic” as Want to Read:
The Alcoholic

The Alcoholic

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  2,671 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
Acclaimed novelist Jonathan Ames writes his first comics work with the original graphic novel THE ALCOHOLIC, illustrated by THE QUITTER artist Dean Haspiel.

This touching, compassionate, ultimately humorous story explores the heart of a failing writer who's coming off a doomed romance and searching for hope. Unfortunately, the first place his search takes him is the bottom
Published September 30th 2008 by Vertigo (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Alcoholic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alcoholic

Anthony Chavez
This was an easy read, great story by Jonathan Ames, really touching, and very awesome art by Dean Haspiel.

A true to life almost memoir by Ames, my first read of his. I have been a long time supporter of his show Bored to Death, he always entertains me in his noir sort of way. He does, in his own way, remind me of Woody Allen. He writes humor but there is a great tragic aspect to his characters and the way Ames writes that character is sublime and unique, it truly makes him an artist.

The story i
Imogen
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love that when you type 'alcoholic' in the search box, two Bukowsi books that don't have the word 'alcoholic' in their titles come up before anything else.

Anyway, I like Jonathan Ames. You like Jonathan Ames, right? We all like Jonathan Ames. Just like all of us, he grew up in New Jersey and then moved to New York. (well, maybe not all of us. Most of us though.) I haven't read all his books and, honestly, the most interesting thing to me (well duh) is how trans women continuously pop up in hi
Kevin
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Though this graphic novel is billed as a fictionalized account of Jonathan Ames struggles with alcohol, I'm gonna go ahead and label it a memoir. Ames story rings true on ever page and Haspiel's art works really well in this sad and painful book. Besides alcoholism, this book also has interesting subplots concerning homosexuality, virility, and death. Of course, there are some great moments of Ames humor as well. And although readers familiar with Ames will recognize parts of his life that he ha ...more
Christina
Feb 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Christina by: Jim's former co-workers
I didn't have any expectations about this book, and I still hated it.

"The Alcoholic," which is actually written by Jonathan Ames and drawn by Dean Haspiel (stupid Web site people), is about Jonathan A., a young man who starts drinking at the age of 15, really enjoys drinking, and becomes (guess what?) an acoholic. The book is about his troubles with alcohol and his visit to rehab and his relapse into alcoholism.

I'm sure I'm probably supposed to think that parts of the book are really funny. And
Reid
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers. Fairly compelling and relatable memoir-like tale of a natural born drinker, with plenty of poignant moments and pretty good art work. The writing is simple and straightforward, but it works well with the black and white shadowy illustrations and noirish tempo. The writer throws in a truck-full of drama and heavy themes, including death, mourning, heartbreak, homosexuality, aids, 9/11, coke and heroin use, and lots of spewing bodily fluids, but also keeps a light balance with old l ...more
Valerie
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel focused on Jonathan A. (the main character) and his alcoholism, and how his battle with it affected everything in his life. There were so many wonderful, poignant, tragic and even funny details... I loved his devotion to his best friend, even when said friend ditched him for no apparent reason. I loved it when he referred to his ex-girlfriend by the city she happened to be living in at the time and came to refer to himself as "her bitch" because he couldn't let her go. I loved ...more
Malbadeen
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
He drinks. He stops drinking. He drinks again. He stops drinking again. He does drugs. He stops doing drugs. He does drugs again...

and so on and so on and dubby dubby do.

but woven in with all that, there are complicated relationships, loss, and confusion that would exsist even if he were always sober.

sometimes sad but not crushing.
sometimes hopeful but not cheesy.
and sometimes funny.

Jason Coleman
This might be the most pitiful public-humiliation spectacle since Coetzee's Summertime. "J. Ames" is not only a hopeless alcoholic and doper; he is sexually confused, prematurely bald, orphaned, even incontinent. The hell-on-earth of addiction is vividly evoked, and Ames achieves a nice mix of humor and awful honesty. The graphic-novel format (the unfussy art is by Dean Haspiel) suits the material; it's the perfect shorthand for this odyssey. But because the story is not strict memoir, one wonde ...more
Tosh
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Ames, at the moment, is someone who entertain me greatly. In many ways he reminds me of Woody Allen. The character in his fiction is very much the same. Totally self-obsessed and funny. But there is a tragic aspect to this character and the way Ames writes that character and make it funny is what makes him an artist or even... an entertainer.

i pick up his books expecting to be entertained or at the very least to be part of his world. What we have here is Ames world in a comic book forma
Irene
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was sad but definitely as an alcoholic myself -- many years away from my last drink -- I can relate to this kind of life and can tell this is someone's true story. Kind of funny at points and as I said very sad. Unfortunately realistic too as many of us have a similar sort of depressing past. Reading this made me think over and over "thank God I don't drink anymore."
مصطفي سليمان
سيرة ذاتية صعبة للغاية للمؤلف جوناثان آميز يحكي فيه تجربته الشخصية مع ادمان الكحول و المخدرات واضطراب هويته الجنسية
القصة ليست مكررة أو ربما طريقة حكيه لها جعلها مميزة تستطيع أن تري أنه صريح للغاية لا يحاول تجميل أي موقف حدث له هناك موقف غاية ف الصعوبة بعد شراءه وشربه ل هيروين مع التاجر استيقظ ليجد نفسه نائم في صفحية زبالة بسبب أن الرجل وجده يقئ ف قرر اراحة نفسه وجعله ينام في صفحية القمامة!! بعد محاولة ممارسة الجنس معه!! في كل مرة يقترب من الخلاص من الادمان يتعرض ل صدمة ف يهرب منها عن طريق الشرب
Alyssa
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
The ending of the book resolved absolutely nothing. Other than that, it was a decent graphic novel memoir.
Ratan Sebastian
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Having known of Jonathan Ames mainly from the TV show, Bored to Death or the movie adaptation of his book "The Extra Man", I must declare at the outset that this novel is not what I was expecting. A lot of my expectations had to do with pace. Bored to Death episodes are 22 minutes of tragi-comedy that never lets up. The characters, the plot and the setting all conspire to make sure that there's never a moment of boredom. While the vignettes and anecdotes here are equally amusing and reveal more ...more
Jeremy
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Jonathan Ames writes this graphic novel about his struggle with drug and alcohol addiction. The illustrations are simple and clean. I can sum it up pretty quickly, Ames started drinking while he was young, and quickly became a self-absorbed alcoholic which messed up everything in his life.

It doesn’t really get much more interesting than that, he continuously finds something small in his life like a girl he likes, then messes up this new relationship by focusing on himself and his insecurities. T
Daryl
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked this up cheap, 'cause I'd heard about it, it looked interesting, and it was a Vertigo book, always a good sign. Ames' story, presented as fiction, but reading like a memoir, hooked me from the very beginning. It showed his beginnings of drinking as a teenager, and how that's affected his life ever since, even though he becomes a successful author. The first half of this book blew me away, with its depiction of graphic sex (the main character's sexual awakening is painful and poignant) a ...more
David
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

This would easily have gotten a five-star rating from me, with the really well done artwork, a very engaging storyline, a deep emotionally driven character and subject... but this is another of those 'books without an ending'.

I don't mind open-ended books, mind you- but books that just trickle off into nothingness... that drives me a little crazy.

So if that doesn't bother YOU, then you might like this book even MORE than I did! ...and I liked it a lot.

It focuses on a man who is, as the title say
Charles Dee Mitchell
If you have read My Less Than Secret Life, you know that Ames is willing to take the confessional mode to excruciating, almost absurd extremes. The question is always there, just how much of this can be true? In this graphic novel, he offers himself up as the embodiment of the alcoholic author. Jonathan A. drinks just like the authors he most admires, but from his first drunks in high school and on into his 30's, he knows that his drinking is abusive and compulsive. Although the story opens with ...more
M0rningstar
Jun 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sequential-art
Good production values, but ultimately disappointing. Several relevant and meaty themes are touched upon in this book. Unfortunately, they are filtered by a protagonist who views the world through a drinking straw trained at his own navel (and crotch, more often than not.) The reader is left wondering why they should give a crap about someone so relentlessly pathetic, unthinking, and self-absorbed as to be repulsive.

Overall pacing is adequate enough to keep the pages turning, despite the repetit
Bandit
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really excellent graphic novel. I love Vertigo line and the book they put out and while the art in this book was just serviceable, the story itself was really good and engaging. Jonathan Ames wrote an incredibly honest memoir about his struggle with love, loss and addictions, particularly the titular one. If this was a fictional story, it would also work just based on the characters and strength of writing alone.I'm only familiar with the author from the very entertaining, albeit shor ...more
Desiree
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've never read any of the author's other books, but I enjoyed this one. A graphic novel, definitely for adults! Deals with alcoholism, homosexuality, drugs and a little transsexualism thrown in for good measure.

A sad book that I found myself not being able to put down.
Even if you are not sure you like graphic novels, I would suggest giving this one a try if you are interested in alcoholism. His drinking started in his teens years and stayed with him through his adulthood.
Leslie Jamison
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
How to describe the experience of reading this book? It was like cringing for several hours straight, trapped in a bar booth with a man twice my age who might want to sleep with me but is probably too drunk to pull it off, all the while he's using words like "mid-list" and "self-care." It was like that. Intense like that. But also heartbreaking, and expert at summoning its own inky little claustrophobic world.
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don't know anything about John Ames but I really enjoyed this as a graphic novel. It's a fast read, really honest and vulnerable about his experiences with alcoholism and drug abuse. Tales of sexual confusion and mishaps make him particularly vulnerable. The reviews said it was really funny but I did not find it funny, I found it sad and honest. Definitely entertaining too.
Joey Alison Sayers
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like a lot of Jonathan Ames' writing - though his near-ubiquitous representations of trans women usually make me feel pretty uncomfortable. Overall, this book was not my favorite. A little too getting-off-on-how-pathetic-you-find-me.

Plus one star for Ames' intentionally hilarious author photo. Minus one star for Dean Haspiel's horrible cocky bro photo.
Lee
Mar 13, 2010 rated it liked it
All the classic Ames themes, plus Monica Lewinsky eating a sausage at Velselka. More sad and confessional than funny. I have one of those fringe diagram printouts somewhere . . .
dontfeed thetiki
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't think I feel bad for this guy.
Robert
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Painful but real.
Lucy (Talk Less, Smile More)
Pros:
Great Artwork
Easy/Short Read

Cons:
Repetitive
Boring bits

This was an interesting read. I picked this book up because I had never read from the perspective of an alcoholic. This is a dark/depressing read, but that's to be expected. This story deals with alcoholism, drug abuse, sexuality, and death.
I enjoyed the story at times (specifically the scenes between Sal and Jonathan, and Jonathan and his Aunt Sadie). They were the brighter parts of this story (well, in the beginning.)

At the end of the
Doc Schroyer
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book will not be embraced by the average reader. However, that is what makes it awesome-granted it is the kind of awesome that is steeped in truth and sadness- but it is awesome nonetheless.

The Alcoholic is a true-to-life look at addiction, depression, and the wry humor that they are sometimes wrapped in.

So, if you are reading this looking for a hero walking in slow motion following the big explosion that kills the bad guy, or that hero getting the girl, or even that hero not thinking he
Crabbygirl
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Luis
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5/5
Si bien la obra es ficticia, a medida que transcurren sus páginas se torna más y más realista, llegando incluso a guiñar sucesos trágicos de la década pasada. Los gráficos si bien no son extraordinarios, cumplen con su cometido, todo el peso de la trama recae en los constantes monólogos de un personaje principal muy interesante, que sin embargo no está exento de clichés.
En líneas generales, me agradó bastante esta novela de Jonathan Ames, es mi primer acercamiento a este escritor y pienso
  • The Quitter
  • American Widow
  • The Best American Comics 2010
  • Freddie and Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody
  • Sloth
  • Mister Wonderful: A Love Story
  • Cuba: My Revolution
  • The Best American Comics 2008
  • Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*!
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
  • The Salon
  • A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge
  • Essex County, Vol. 2: Ghost Stories
  • The Acme Novelty Library #20
Jonathan Ames is the author of the books The Double Life is Twice As Good, I Pass Like Night, The Extra Man, What's Not to Love?, My Less Than Secret Life, Wake Up, Sir!, I Love You More Than You Know, and The Alcoholic (a graphic novel illustrated by Dean Haspiel). He is the editor of Sexual Metamorphosis: An Anthology of Transsexual Memoirs.

He is the winner of a Guggenheim Fellowship and is a f
More about Jonathan Ames

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This