Start by marking “This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel” as Want to Read:
This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel

This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel

Uncertain. Confused. Overwhelmed.

Many Christians feel bombarded by the messages they hear and the trends they see in our rapidly changing world.

How can we resist being conformed to the pattern of this world? What will faithfulness to Christ look like in these tumultuous times? How can we be true to the gospel in a world where myths and false visions of the world so often
Published March 1st 2017 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is Our Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Our Time

Start your review of This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel
Kyle Robertson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most relevant for our time that I have read in quite a while. Our youth group has just finished participating in a Discipleship Now weekend, and all I could think about is how badly our youth need this book. Christians everywhere need this book. The Church needs this book! Trevin Wax pulls no punches in this book. He may step on your toes and shine a light on things you may wish to remain hidden, but overall he shows a Christian path for a faithful presence in our culture.

The
Russell Threet
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do not know how to start out this review other than saying that I have been uniquely blessed by "This is Our Time". This is the most relevant book I have read in years. Trevin Wax goes after the myths heart of our culture in America with a Gospel scalpel of unique precision.From social media to sex, the author engages the issues of the day with a potent dose of grace and truth. This is not your average self help or even get right with God book. It is, instead, a straight forward, but profound, ...more
Robin Langford
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and very readable. This book provided a framework for me to view the culture. I’m grateful for Wax’s premise that each myth reveals a longing that can be met in the light of the Gospel. Highly recommend for Christians who feel overwhelmed by society/culture, who know “things aren’t right,” but are unable to name these things. No finger pointing, but challenges to Believers to embrace Biblical truth.
Mark
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. My biggest drawback is that he spent the majority of each chapter laying out and describing each myth and very little for what to do or believe so as to not fall for that myth.
Aaron Wine
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Wax has his finger on the pulse of Western Evangelicalism, and those of us who find themselves there would do well to consider his work. This book is a must-read for believers who wish to better exegete the culture around them. Myths are all around us, and Wax tactfully reveals how Christians fall off either side of the proverbial horse, usually offering a via media that leans into the biblical longing of our hearts while also confronting the lie that contaminates it. The ...more
Penny
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trevin did an excellent job of clearly exposing the myths in our everyday culture alongside the truths of the gospel in a thought provoking and engaging writing style. He dedicated this book to his father-in-law, Florian Trifan (now deceased) and the relevant stories from his father-in-law's life were especially applicable and poignant for me. Though helpful for every generation, this may be the book I send to all my millennial family and friends this Christmas :)
Ashley
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, timely, well-written book on myths that are deeply ingrained in our American culture. He does a great job of pointing out the longings, lies, and hope if the Gospel related each myth. I highly recommend it to all.
Joshua
One objective for a catechism is to be a response to the challenges of the day. This book acts like a catechism in that way. It gives a thoughtful counter to the many facets of he narrative of secularism that whirls around us...this water that we swim in.
Daniel Souza
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first half of the book the most, but still a 5 overall. Insightful, engaging, and dare I say, "timely"...
Ann Shaub
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who wants to think wisely about the culture and how best to engage those influenced by it.
Jonathan Roberts
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2017
Great gospel saturated book. Wax examines crucial myths that Christians believe that are not biblical and are not in keeping with the gospel. His writing is crisp, thoughtful, deeply researched and very needed in our church today. Highest recommendation
Thaddeus
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a timely book for our generation, and Trevin Wax does a great job of analyzing, critiquing and offering practical solutions to the great challenges we face today as Christians (particularly in the Western world). Wax targets the myths that our modern Western culture has propagated to us via various avenues of culture - social media, internet, movies, etc - and helps the reader to see the sometimes unconscious influence these forces have on our worldview and life then he offers helpful ...more
Jeanie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here's why experiencing God's love matters for the fortifying of Christian faith and witness in our day. If you fail to get this truth deep down into your heart, if you fail to recognize God's unfailing, unchanging love for you no matter your circumstances, you will not be able to represent Him well in exile. The only way you will ever be able to withstand the hatred of the world is if you are immersed in the love of God. The only way you will ever be able to live without the approval of others ...more
Doug
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book exposes the world’s lies that try to distract our devotion to the Lord

Romans 12:2 (NKJV) says “not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Colossians 3:2 (KJV) says to “set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”

In his new book, “This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel,” Trevin Wax cuts through the myths, which are the lies, the
Lee Button
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

“We are in the midst of a moral revolution, and the world is changing around us.” (page 10) The statement is not new nor earth-shattering. Trevin Wax forces us to challenge that revolution by considering the myths that it propagates.
Myths distort the truth by the longings they create and by the lies they tell. The Gospel shines a light on man’s real longings and tells the truth about man’s real needs. With that premise, Wax exposes several of the myths that control America.
Being a list kind of
Anni Welborne
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I requested to review this book after I heard the author speak on the radio about it. I was so impressed with the logic and applicability of the book, I wanted a chance to read it and make it more known.

Just like the book of Hebrews points out that this tradition or that tradition in Judaism was designed to fulfill a certain need or desire but that Jesus is so very much superior to all the traditions, the author of this book sets the book up much the same way. The author lays out the premise
Tom
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book helps Christian readers better understand the culture in which we live. It may be helpful for those who are not Christians as well.

Some strong points:
- The book helps us understand certain aspects of our current culture. Because we live in culture like a fish lives in water, we sometimes cannot even see our culture. And because our culture is pluralistic and fragmented, our culture(s) can be very difficult to understand. This book does a great job of identifying aspects to which we,
Jill Hudson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb analysis of 21st century life as seen from a Christian perspective. It is not a heavy or 'scholarly' book, but Trevin Wax is a razor sharp and moving writer, whose ability to see through the unquestioned assumptions by which many people live enables him to present an alternative Christian worldview in a compellingly attractive way. His chapters on social media, sex and marriage are particularly striking; for example, he is far too perceptive to run aground on the rocks of ...more
Joy
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that keeps you thinking--long after you finish the book. When I finished it, I went back and re-read the first chapter, as I needed a refresher. While it analyzes many aspects of our modern culture, it also gives you a Gospel-centered way in which to continue making observations, and a fresh view of our need to point others to the Gospel. We are all innately seeking for meaning and answers in life, yet not always in the right places. God is the right place to find the answers, and ...more
Matt Anthony
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the last ten years of my life I have read a number of books that, in one way or another, tied into developing a worldview. Granted, developing a worldview in my fifties is probably a late start. Obviously, I had one, but I finally became intentional about it. This book was a big help in clarifying some pervasive ideas, myths, as Wax calls them, that control our world. In the end, no spoiler alert if you’re a believer, the Gospel is the only worldview that lasts. Wax makes that clear by using ...more
David Dunlap
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The author examines a number of unspoken but widely-held myths/beliefs and demonstrates how they are contrary to the Gospel. He goes on to point out how Christians can resist the messages provided by contemporary society to live more faithfully for Jesus. I found the book thoughtful and well-written; the author is particularly adept at finding concrete examples to demonstrate the points he is making.
John
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: season-12
This book has a number of powerful and thought-provoking insights into our lives today worth pondering and wrestling through. The myths and truths chapter about what our phones tell us and what we tell our phones was especially powerful.

My main downside to the book is that it felt like the content and insights could have been covered in a short series of blog posts, and a book form was just too much without the content to support it. 3.5 stars, but closer to 4.
Hannah Sedgwick
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is officially one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. It puts what I’ve been thinking as I look at and interact with the world around about topics like materialism, happiness, marriage, sex, and even Disney, as well as others into the words I could never be able to form myself. Incredibly well researched and relevant, I enjoyed the little anecdotal stories used as examples throughout the book as well as the clearly explanations. Incredible book that I recommend to everyone.
Zeke
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I feel like I have conversations with high school students and other people often where they are making assumptions about the way the world is and should be. Wax does a great job speaking to several of those assumed cultural narratives and ways the gospel is a better answer than the world gives. Would highly recommend this for a young christian or new Christian to give them some truth to chew on, though almost anyone will be challenged by this book.
Susan Kendrick
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was good, probably better that I anticipated. Trevin addresses several aspects of life that we all encounter and shows how as Christians we tend to react on one extreme (moral superiority/circle the wagons) or another (no real difference between us and non-Christians, just Jesus riding shotgun so to speak). Pretty thought-provoking, gracious but still doesn’t pull punches. It would be a great small group discussion starter.
Drew
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trevin does not write like a stereotypical modern author. My impression of those authors is one of vaguely identifying cultural sins while spinning a cheap gospelized evangelical cliche or two to make a point. Trevin brings in his experience as a cross cultural missionary. breadth of other Christian traditions and knowledge of history to make the Truth of the Gospel applicable in “This is our Time”. I hope to go back to this book to think deeply about Christ and our culture.
Chris
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
There are timeless books and there are timely books. This one is timely, meaning though there are principles that can be gleaned in the future, it is very much about our time now in the mid-2010s.
I love that the book gave me a vocabulary to talk about the things I see in our culture that just don't add up.
I highly recommend this book, especially if you interact at all with those of us in our 30s and under.
David Batten
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Wax identifies and speaks into the state of our world both wisely and accessibly. If you want help finding a balanced way to think about issues such as technology, marriage, the pursuit of happiness, and Amazon shopping, I commend this book to you. Easy reading, good stories, and even better frameworks to understand God's truth for our confuawd and confusing world.
Francois Smith
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really good book. Trevin Wax created a little gem here. This is not only for Christians, but I would recommend this book to all my friends, believers & non-believers. The book aptly describe issues of our times and then goes on providing hope and direction. It is written in a succinct and engaging manner and I can not recommend it highly enough.
Dan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of how myths believed by many in the United States do not agree with the Bible and are lies that, while promising fulfillment, leave one disappointed. Wax has done a good job of pointing the reader to the truth of Scripture and using its wisdom to combat and reveal the falsehoods of modern America.

*I received a review copy of this book and my opinion is my own.

• Reset: Living a Grace-Paced Life in a Burnout Culture
  • The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • Disruptive Witness
  • Recapturing the Wonder: Transcendent Faith in a Disenchanted World
  • The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • Union with Christ: The Way to Know and Enjoy God
  • The Storm-Tossed Family: How the Cross Reshapes the Home
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church
  • Before You Open Your Bible: Nine Heart Postures For Approaching God's Word
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)
  • The Unsaved Christian: Reaching Cultural Christianity with the Gospel
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
Trevin Wax is the Bible and Reference Publisher for LifeWay Christian Resources. A former missionary to Romania, Trevin hosts a blog at The Gospel Coalition and regularly contributes to The Washington Post, Religion News Service, World, and Christianity Today, which named him one of thirty-three millennials shaping the next generation of evangelicals. His previous books include Counterfeit ...more
“if your view of the future depends on an irreversible movement toward the worst possible scenario, you must not let your posture become purely defensive. Pessimism can lead you to adopt a “hunker down with the faithful” approach to the world that is largely driven by fear, not faith. The truth is, every generation believes that things are getting worse when compared to the past. Every generation adopts, at some level, a variation of the myth of decline or the myth of progress. Every generation of Christians believes they are in the last days of this world. And every generation, so far, has been wrong.” 1 likes
“Sometimes the call to faithfulness may seem like a burden. But may we never forget that this call is also our greatest privilege. We live in light of the truth, trusting that the flame of faithfulness that passes from generation to generation will never go out.” 0 likes