Start by marking “CSB Doctor's Bible” as Want to Read:
CSB Doctor's Bible

CSB Doctor's Bible

The CSB Doctor’s Bible features 7-point type in a convenient, easy-to-carry compact trim size, with sixty pages of additional information and inspiration for dentists and physicians. The extended devotional section of articles, prayers, and spiritual guidance is provided by the Christian Medical and Dental Associations that exist to motivate, educate, and equip Christian ...more
Leather Bound, 1184 pages
Published July 1st 2017 by Holman Bible Publishers (first published 1999)

Start your review of CSB Doctor's Bible
Danette
Indeed, the Lord's hand is not too short to save, and His ear is not too deaf to hear. Isaiah 59:1

2018 - A book longer than 400 pages
Pamela
A tremendously wonderful translation of the greatest book (Living Word) ever written.

The typeface is easily readable. Footnotes and study aids are clear and concise. I found it especially enlightening, footnotes depicting originating manuscripts (Greek, Hebrew, and/or otherwise) expressing variable interpretations where available.

And, endearing to me and my personality: The deeply rich purple, leather cover with diecut filigree accents.

I look forward to reading again this coming year, but in
Todd Miles
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CSB is a fine translation and a great improvement on the HCSB.
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
For years now I have been marking up my Bibles with notes and highlights and scraps of paper. But let's face it, you can only keep so many extra pieces of paper or sticky notes in your Bible before it causes the spine to break down.

More recently I have begun Bible Art Journaling. The first Bible I started in didn't have very wide margins and it was a bit of a challenge, so I did a lot of tip-ins. Again not the best solution because it eventually does a number on your spine.

You can just imagine
Brittany
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I really like this Bible! It has an absolutely beautiful cloth cover that is firm yet flexible. The inside front and back pages also have a beautiful floral design on sage paper.

I am really enjoying the notetaking areas on each page for when I want to journal my thoughts. It is a single column design and the only thing I have a bit of a problem with is that the font feels small to me. The study Bible that I currently take to church has much larger font that is easier on the eyes. However,
Sheila
This is a re-read of The Holy Bible for me, so this review will be specifically about this Holman Christian Standard Bible translation, which I obtained for free on my kindle from Amazon.

I will admit that the language of this translation makes it easy to understand some of the more complicated verses of the Bible. The language is modern and contemporary. For someone who has never read the Bible before, this version might be a good way for them to be able to be introduced to the books contained
Joseph Leskey
~Review of the Bible:

Well, first off, this most excellent collection of prophesy, psalm, and story, is something that is abnormally large. Secondly, I've actually been meaning to write this review for a year or so, so I'd name myself late but in earnest, but I shan't to avoid lawsuit by the ghosts of ancient Kerr's. *cough, cough*

Thirdly, my review is probably fallible, just so you know.

Now, to render a dignified review. I'm feeling too thrilled with the concept of restfulness to review all the
Samuel Kassing
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed working through this translation in 2019. It reminded me of the NIV. This will make a great gift for someone exploring Christianity or who is new Christ follower.
Aaron Shipman
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed this translation of the Bible, it is not THE translation for me. There were some translation choices that stood out to me as too Baptist based, such as the use of beer instead of strong drink in Luke 1:15, and the placement of punctuation in sentences speaking of baptism and the Holy Spirit. At times I was curious as to if I was reading a non-gender inclusive update of the NIV instead of the revised HCSB.

While I did find this translation easy to read, study, and enjoy, I find
Todd Miles
I am not going to rank the Word of God - how can it be anything other than 5 stars. But I do want to make a few comments about the translation. Attempting to depart from the formal equivalent translation - dynamic equivalent translation continuum, the HCSB opts for what they call "optimal equivalence." As near as I can figure, if measured upon the preceding continuum, they will be inconsistent, sometimes being very formal and other times giving a dynamic translation. I wonder how helpful that ...more
Laurie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
This Bible translation was free for my Nook, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find it accurate, conservative, easy to read and easy to navigate. I have not felt compelled to purchase any other Bible version for my own reading or for following along at church, although our congregation favors the NIV (1984) and our pastor favors the NASB.
Yuska Vonita
Jan 01, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm joining Reading the Bible as Literature challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader. I obtained this bible for free from Amazon. The language is easy to understand. Just finished reading Genesis. I'm going to get through Exodus for a couple of days.
Keith
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rating is for the translation. The Bible itself is always a 5-star read.
Carrie Ridgeway
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, philosophy
In 2005 our church read this edition of the Bible from cover to cover. This translation is easier to read than some.
Stephen N. Collins
My favorite translation for personal devotion.
Laura Zielke
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the past few months, I’ve been using a new translation of the Bible called the Christian Standard Bible.Published by Holman Bible Publishers in early 2017, the Christian Standard Bible(CSB)is an unexpected, yet (apparently) necessary, update of the 2004Holman Christian Standard Bible.

Christian Standard Bible
Click to enlarge

About the Christian Standard Bible
When a well-established publishing company produces a thorough revision of its previous translation—with the intent that the new version completely
Chad A Tyler
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars because it’s the Bible.
4 stars for translation.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I remember hearing about the HCSB translation was in John Macarthur's book: 'SLAVE: The hidden truth about your identity in Christ', in which this translation is used because it translates 'doulos' literally as 'slave' rather than the less accurate translation of 'servant' or 'bondservant'. That made me curious to take a better look at the translation. This translation uses "Optimal Equivalence" as the translation method which they consider to be a careful cross between formal ...more
Dina (ReviewTime)
The Sportsman's Bible contains numerous devotions written for hunters and fishermen that connect the timeless principles of God's Word with the passion of millions of North American outdoors enthusiasts.

About the binding & cover
The cover of this Bible is Bonded Leather, with Mothwing(tm) fall camouflage. The bonded leather this Bible is made from feels more sturdily, and durable, then any bonded leather Bible I have held. The zipper & zipper slide are a very sturdily, which reminds me of
Ivan
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The CSB Reader’s Bible is a delightful bible which pairs the much-anticipated CSB 2017 translation with a beautiful reader-friendly presentation of the text.

The translation itself (like its predecessor, the HCSB) provides beautiful and clear renderings of Scripture. For instance, Psalm 145:8 reads: “The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and great in faithful love.” Likewise, Isaiah 43:4 reads: “you are precious in My sight and honored, and I love you.” And a verse from my
Ethan
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles
The Old and New Testaments in a recent translation.

The HCSB does not want to be boxed into the categories of either "formal equivalence" (word-for-word, e.g. KJV, ASV, NASB, ESV, etc.) or "dynamic equivalence" (thought-for-thought, e.g. NIV, NLT, CEV). Instead they come up with a new category: "optimal equivalence," which they claim recognizes that form cannot be separated from meaning and thus is an attempt to make the best sense of both words and thought, but in practice seems to just mean
Just Commonly
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you take notes when you study your Bible? Do you have one Bible that is designated as your note-taking Bible - as one that you can write on it, highlight it and underline it? Well, if you do, I think you'll greatly appreciate The HCSB Note-taking Bible from Holman Bible Publishing and B&H Publishing. Now, I'm not an expert on translations, so most of this review is about what I like in terms of the physicality of this Bible. However, I will say the HCSB version is a simple and easy to ...more
Create With Joy
When we read our Bibles, it is so important to record the things that God is impressing upon our hearts during our devotional and study time – and the best place to do this is in our Bibles themselves. However, it’s often difficult to do more than highlight or underline the text inside of most Bibles because margin space is limited to non-existent.

That’s why I was so excited to discover the HCSB Notetaking Bible!

The HCSB Notetaking Bible contains the full text of the Holman Christian Standard
Joshua Tan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with many modern translations, the CSB is highly readable and reasonably pleasant to peruse. I used it alongside my trusty CSB Study Bible (one of my ‘go-to’s for well-designed maps, illustrations, and charts).

My favourite CSB feature: Whenever someone in the New Testament quotes the Old Testament, the quoted text is printed in bold.

A curious decision: Imperial units are used throughout. The Metric equivalents should have been placed in the footnotes, at minimum. While there is a useful “
MaryAnne Hommel
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's spring and maybe you haven't noticed but this is the time of year when the wedding shower and baby shower invitations start filling up the mailbox. I'm a firm believer in sticking to the registry (they make it for a reason after all) when buying for these occasions but I do like to include something a little personal. So while I'm all for getting you the six pack of pacifiers in pink rose or the set of organic baby bibs with hipster sayings, today I'm sharing my latest find that will make ...more
Rocky Henriques
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great version...

And I encourage you to read it. This morning I have completed reading the entire Bible using this ebook edition. I believe this is an early edition, and there are several errors in punctuation and spacing between words. But the Words of God are here, and you will benefit greatly by spending time each day reading it.
Leslie M.
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The HCSB Notetaking Bible contains the Holman Christian Standard Bible translation, and it is designed to help the reader create a deeper connection to the Word. The Bible is written in a single-column format, with ruled margins on each page. A concordance, eight pages of maps, a one-year Bible reading plan, and an introduction to this translation of the Bible are included.

I found the HCSB translation accurate and easy to understand, though some people may be unfamiliar with it. Two-inch margins
Jordan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this Bible. Firstly, it's stunning! I love the colors and design. I like the CSB translation. Like the SRT Bible, it has a One Year Bible plan, a Concordance, color maps and charts, and a readable (8pt) font. I thought the font would be too small at first, but thanks to the style of the font, it’s easy to read despite its smallness.

One of the draws to this Bible is in the name: it’s single-columned and designed for notetaking, with wide (1.75 inch) lined margins. These are great for
Create With Joy
If you are looking for a beautiful, feminine Bible to accompany you on your spiritual journey with the Lord in 2018, the new CSB Notetaking Bible is sure to catch your eye!

The Sage Cloth Over Board Hardcover version of this Bible features a fabric and floral textured cover that is the perfect size for holding and transporting. What I like most about the single-column design of this Bible, which is written in the literal Christian Standard Bible translation, are the lined margins and spacious
Flynn Heiss
Glad to have finally read this and learn the cast of characters and main themes. However, it's pretty repetitive which can get boring. A few exceptions:
- Job and Ecclesiastes are solid philosophical works
- Judges has some vivid stories (Samson + Delilah, Ehud + Eglon)
- Esther is a masterpiece of revenge
- In 2 Kings, a bear mauls 42 children for teasing Elisha and calling him "Baldy"

The repetition does drive home the themes: Old Testament is all about obedience and not worshipping other gods; New
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Study the Bible: Updated Edition
  • The Message Remix (Bible in Contemporary Language)
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible
  • Apologetics at the Cross: An Introduction for Christian Witness
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • Supernatural: What the Bible Teaches about the Unseen World - And Why It Matters
  • Mountains of Spices
  • Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity
  • Praying the Bible
  • Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ
  • The Creaking on the Stairs: Finding Faith in God Through Childhood Abuse
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4)
  • The Chessmen of Mars (Barsoom #5)
  • Unlucky in Love (Unlucky Series #1)
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children sampler
  • Noble Justice: Jack Noble & Corps Justice Bundle
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
“Though the fig tree does not bud and there is no fruit on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 18 yet I will triumph in •Yahweh; I will rejoice in the God of my salvation!  19 Yahweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer  and enables me to walk on mountain heights! ” 2 likes
“If anyone thinks he is religious without controlling his tongue, then his religion is useless and he deceives himself. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the •world.” 1 likes