Jump to ratings and reviews

Falling for Boston

Vaughn:

I'd been in Boston all of five minutes before scoring my first sack.

You'd think that would be a good thing. The only problem was, it happened in a hallway, not on the football field. And the person I took down wasn't a 250-pound linebacker; it was one of the most insanely attractive women I've ever met. One with a personality just as compelling as her smokin' hot body.

But it seems like Dylan Riley is more interested in my stats than my digits. She can hang with the guys and talk sports, but any time I try to take a step forward, she gives me the Heisman, even though I'm pretty sure she's attracted to me, too.

How do I convince the woman who's perfect for me to take me from the friend-zone to the end zone?

Dylan:

I grew up with three brothers, so this wasn't the first time I'd been tackled. But it was the first time I'd been tackled by someone as hot as Tyler Vaughn, the superstar NFL receiver who'd just been traded to the team I worshipped every Sunday.

Truthfully? I think I have a tiny crush on him. But we're just friends.

I don't want to jeopardize our friendship, but the more we hang out, the more confused I become. Because if I didn't know better, I'd think Vaughn was flirting with me. But that can't be true because I am not the girl guys like Vaughn look at--I leave that to my über-hot, blonde-bombshell roommate.

I'm the friend, the drinking buddy, the one guys high-five and burp in front of.  I'm definitely not the kind of girl who attracts the attention of hotter-than-sin football stars. I'm just one of the guys. Their friend, not their everything. And I'm fine with that.

At least I thought I was until I met Vaughn...

293 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 13, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Leslie Kate

2 books12 followers
Leslie Kate, despite growing up in Upstate New York, is crazy about everything Boston. She attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst where she studied sports broadcasting. There, her lifelong Boston sports addiction blossomed into the fanatic she is today.

Having dabbled with the idea of writing a book since high school, she finally put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and wrote her first book, "Falling for Boston," where she combined her passion for the written word with her passion for sports and the City of Champions.

Aside from being a sports nut, Leslie Kate love reading (much to the chagrin of her boyfriend), movies, music, and being active (she's a spinning instructor at her gym.) She also loves cooking, but not cleaning; dogs, but not cats; and shoes, but not purses or jewelry. She owns one pair of Christian Louboutins that she sometimes just wears around the house because she likes to look at them.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
337 reviews67 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
February 15, 2017
Sorry, I DNF at 28%

I love Boston, I love sports trope and a tomboy heroine, but I don't like feminine males. Nope. This guy is like an omega. He's extremely sugary sweet and so feminine I didn't even know it was his POV half of the time. He's more feminine than heroine.
He let her pay for the dinner and he was the one who invited her. And then he whined about it. NO!

This is a "it's me not you" situation. I wanted Kulti or Aiden but I got Fanny.

description
Profile Image for Noma.
27 reviews2 followers
January 4, 2017
The overall story alternates between the perspectives of Dylan and Tyler.
Tyler has spent the last eight years of his life playing football in California. He accidentally crashes into Dylan on his way to a meeting with a sports anchor to discuss his acquisition with the New England Patriots in Boston.

Dylan grows up being the only girl in a family full of boys. And she works in an industry dominated by men doing what she loves and knows. Sports. I liked that aspect of the novel. Dylan is a hockey player and loves the Boston Bruins among other sports and teams. The rivalry between my favorite hockey team and the Bruins is considered "one of the greatest rivalries in sports."

Dylan’s twin brother, Carter’s career in hockey was cut short by an injury. And while trying to recover, back in school, worked as a trainer at the gym. And trains Dylan for free whenever he can. And guess what?On one of their training sessions, a month after the crash, Tyler walks into the gym. Their recurrent bumps at the gym open a door for Dylan to ask Tyler to hang out with her, Carter, Rosie, her roommate and a few friends.

Before long Tyler becomes a regular addition to their hangouts. I like how the author creates tension; I read the book in one night, flipping through the pages anticipating the friendship to explode into a full-blown affair. I knew it was true love when Dylan noticed that Tyler called her Boston when he was joking around and Dylan when he was serious. Brushing their teeth together in the bathroom, totally cute!
I couldn’t wait for their first kiss. And when Tyler finally loses the battle, he gives her a light kiss on the lips and her forehead.It was frustrating.And I am not the only one who was frustrated. Tyler puts a stop to their heated kiss on his kitchen counter, Dylan gets angry and describes it as being given a “whiplash.”

When they finally jump in bed together, they cannot get enough of each other. Would a job opportunity for Dylan in New York be the end of their relationship?

The setting and topic had a powerful impact on the mood of the story and allowed the author to develop these elements of her novel to their richest potential. It did not feel forced because the manner in which Leslie narrates the story made me come to the conclusion that the story was written from the heart and upon reading her profile it was hard for me to separate the book from the author.
I am particularly susceptible to fluffy romance but Falling for Boston was not one of them, and I was constantly in a temporary state of laughter.
The witty dialogue. Even if the tone of the whole book was not entirely serious in a way, the emotion was there. I couldn’t help but think that some of Dylan’s sarcastic remarks were because she had a low esteem.
I loved the story. Impressive piece of writing.

Purchase:Amazon
For more reviews visit: www.etherealediting.com
Profile Image for Aaly.
1,346 reviews53 followers
March 28, 2017
review-blog
*** Copy kindly provided by the author for an honest review. ***
I am definitely falling for Boston, a good debut novel. It was refreshing and I was glad to read about a sport romance a bit different from the ones I used to read.

Dylan is the tomboy, tough strong and she lives, breathes sports. When she stumbled into Tyler, well it was kinda love at first sight to him. Dylan not so much, more interested by his games or statistics than his personality. I usually don't mind heroines who were less feminine but she seemed to me a bit insensitive and selfish at times. Her character lacked some roundness and nuances.

Well Tyler was a surprising character, more “feminine”, hopeless romantic, total opposite of Dylan. I really kinda liked the guy; there were no crazy ex girlfriend, he wasn’t a womanizer or the usual jock you met in a sport romance, and it was good and so refreshing, making him more attainable and real.

I appreciated his interactions with his family, his best friend. Always caring for his loved ones.

Even if I didn’t click with her heroine, her duet was kinda functioning and so good first. The way Tyler was trying to get to know her and being part of her life was really sweet and endearing.

As the story unfold and their relationship turned into a romantic one, Dylan’s behavior made me cringe a little. More than a little. Some parts were to my mind too dragged out and gave some heaviness to the story. Just a tad longish.

In spite of that little shortcoming it was a good sport romance, funny, sweet, with great supportive characters.

rating

IMG_4826(1)
Profile Image for Lisa.
103 reviews3 followers
January 14, 2017
This is an endearing story about a young woman who is more tom-boy than most women her age. She is tough, strong, and LOVES sports. She even has a guy's name - Dylan. While Dylan isn't a priss, she is a very likable character. She has bad days, stumbles through life and is just trying to find happiness. She literally runs into Tyler Vaughn. Pro football hottie. Tyler is a dreamy, kind, polite athlete who is also just trying to make the best of the life he has been given despite some obstacles thrown in his way.
The character development in this book is phenomenal. Leslie goes into great detail and depth of who these people are in a believable, slow flowing method.
Great story, a little rocky toward the end, (that may not be completely acceptable for some readers) when the couple meets a huge obstacle. In fact the build up to the obstacle was revealed a little too early IMO.
I expect great things in the future from Leslie Kate!
Profile Image for Donna.
Author 1 book4 followers
February 20, 2017
Tyler Vaughn is new to Boston. He's a famous football player, new to the New England Patriots. He meets Dylan Riley at the TV sports show/station where she works (I can't remember the specifics of her job situation other than that she works in and lives for sports pretty much 24/7). He literally runs into her in the hallway, and it's love at first sight for him. Dylan is rough around the edges, just one of the guys.

This one is difficult for me to review. I enjoyed the book except for the heroine. It is well written, told in opposing points of view, and it reads quickly.

I loved the hero. I loved everything about Tyler. I loved his personality, his sense of humor, and his sensitivity. In many ways he had the more "feminine" characteristics in the storyline. He's described as a hopeless romantic. He was sweet. I kept waiting for the other woman story angle to crop up because he'd been described as gorgeous, he was a famous football player, and he was such a nice man. However, he wasn't a player, and he wasn't a jerk. There was no angst with former girlfriends or crazed groupies/fans getting in the way, and that was refreshing in and of itself. Too many sports romances have the hero portrayed as a sex-crazed pig. Tyler was not. I loved his interactions with his family and his best friend, Robb. He was human, and he was real.

The angst here for me was solely with the heroine. I can’t help it; I HATED her. She was a dude, pure and simple. She had no feminine side, no softness, and no sweetness. She was fairly close to her family, and her mother was a positive character in the story. Where was her mother's influence?? Dylan was selfish and mean, many of the things the typical alpha male romance novel hero is. Her three brothers didn’t act that way. Why was she such a jerk? I didn't “get” Dylan at all. I grew up as a tomboy and a sports nut myself, and I'm independent and strong and live with three men. I was never any of the things this heroine was. She didn’t ring true for me.

One of the things I hated the most about her was the fact that she calls the hero by his last name the entire book. I don’t think she ever called him Tyler once. That irritated the heck out of me. The chapters in his voice are even titled, "Vaughn". Why give him a first name at all if we're going to refer to him by his last name? His family and friends all called him Tyler. She called him Vaughn. How romantic. It just reinforced for me how obnoxious a character Dylan was.

I had to force myself to finish this (it took me a month) because I disliked Dylan so intensely, and that was the only reason why it dragged on for me. When she chose a job over love and dumped Tyler I wanted her character out of the story altogether. She was so clueless and over the top mean I wanted him to find someone else. Even after the HEA, I wanted better for Tyler.

I hope I'm in the minority here because other than the problems I had with the female lead, it's a good book. It had humor, romance and great cast of supporting characters. Dylan just didn't do it for me, and that’s a shame.
Profile Image for M.K. Williams.
Author 17 books71 followers
December 26, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. I finished it is just a few days, I could hardly put it down and when I had to I was counting down the seconds until I could pick it back up and find out what happened. I really enjoyed the story and that while it was a modern love-story it wasn't overly graphic or raunchy, which I appreciated. As someone who enjoys a story that delves into the characters and their development, Falling for Boston did not disappoint. If you are looking for a fun read that will keep your attention, definitely check this one out!
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.