Start by marking “Inkmistress (Of Fire and Stars, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Inkmistress (Of Fire and Stars, #0.5)

Inkmistress

(Of Fire and Stars #0.5)

Asra is a demigod with a dangerous gift: the ability to dictate the future by writing with her blood. To keep her power secret, she leads a quiet life as a healer on a remote mountain, content to help the people in her care and spend time with Ina, the mortal girl she loves.

But Asras peaceful life is upended when bandits threaten Inas village and the king does nothing to
Published March 6th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Inkmistress, please sign up.
Audrey Coulthurst Inkmistress is a companion novel set 200 years before Of Fire and Stars in the neighboring kingdom of Zumorda. The sequel to Of Fire and Stars comes…moreInkmistress is a companion novel set 200 years before Of Fire and Stars in the neighboring kingdom of Zumorda. The sequel to Of Fire and Stars comes out in 2019.(less)
Audrey Coulthurst It honestly doesn't matter--they're separate stories that take place in different kingdoms with different casts of characters. However, I would…moreIt honestly doesn't matter--they're separate stories that take place in different kingdoms with different casts of characters. However, I would recommend reading Inkmistress before Of Ice and Shadows (though it's absolutely not mandatory).(less)

Start your review of Inkmistress (Of Fire and Stars, #0.5)
Emma Giordano
Of Fire and Stars was one of my favorite books of 2017, so naturally I was ELATED to find out there was a prequel story. While I did enjoy Inkmistress, it just didn't have the excitement I felt while reading the first installment of this series. That being said, I am still very happy I picked up this story.

As a note, I listened to the audiobook of this story and did not enjoy the narration very much. For some reason, I cannot stand British audiobook narrators that sound significantly older than
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, real quick, Im going to do a little PSA, since I think a lot of you might need it: Bisexuals who are with boys are still bisexual. Bisexuals who are with girls are still bisexual. Bisexuals who are with people who identify as nonbinary are still bisexual. Bisexuals who have never been with anyone are still bisexual.

And the fact that I still have to say this, in 2018, is why Inkmistress is now one of my favorite
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
3.5 stars! Better review to come post Reading Rush.

The Sassy Book Club live-show discussion of this book will be happening on my channel on Friday, July 26th at 7pm PST! Come hang out with Kassie and I as we discuss our thoughts on this queer as YA fantasy!
☙ percy ❧
Jul 30, 2017 marked it as tbr-other
YA characters: i have this amazing power to dictate the future using my blood but i must keep it secret and Never Use or Abuse it

me as a character: *using Umbridge's Blood Quill* tomorrow eddie redmayne will come to my house and profess his undying love for me and we will get married and live happily ever af --
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Despite what a certain review implies, there is nothing wrong with a bisexual female having a relationship with a man. This does not "undermine" her sexuality or make previous relationships any less valid.

... there IS something wrong with info-dumps though. Lots and lots of boring info-dumps that made it really hard to push through this story?

Full RTC soon, probably, maybe.

---------

I didn't know this was a prequel when I requested it?? But I'm here for bisexuals and blood magic
Chelsies Crazy4Books
In Inkmistress we follow Asra, a demigod with the power to change the past and the future at a severe price. In this world people can manifest into animals by bonding with one with the blessing of one of the 6 Gods. After trying to help her lover find her manifest things go horribly wrong and some hurtful truths are revealed. On a mission to right her mistake Asra leaves the only home shes ever known in the hopes of stoping the monster she's created. I really wanted to love this because Im ...more
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
"Bisexuality, bloodshed, dragons, & doom"

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING, I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE!

description

But Winter 2018?!?! Noooooooo....

*dies*
lov2laf
I did really enjoy this story. Ultimately, "Inkmistress" ends up giving some world building insight into "Of Fire and Stars" though that isn't blatant until the final chapter. It left me with an, "Ohhh, that's why". As this is a 0.5 story, it can be read as a standalone, before or after "Of Fire and Stars". The order isn't important. This definitely fleshed out the world of this series, though.

Azra is an orphaned demi-god with no real understanding of her family, roots, or magic. She's a healer
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

Inkmistress is an unbelievably good book. It has so many great elements to it and does everything so very well. There's not a single person I wouldn't recommend this to.

Because love was a heart filled with kindness, eyes a deep brown that warmed me from the inside out, and a hand I could count on to hold through the next adventure.

I don't even know where to start this review because I simply loved everything about this book so much. It has been a really long time since a
J.A. Ironside
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

UPDATE: changing my rating to 5 stars because I just can't stop thining about this book. It really is that good.

Inkmistress was a surprise and a delight. Id seen such luke warm reviews of Coulhurts work that I had let reading her books slide down my list of priorities. Inkmistess prequel to Of Fire and Stars but set a long time before the events of that book showed me just what Id been missing.

On one hand I do understand the more
Janira
Mar 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
Honestly, Audrey saying the honest title of this book would be "bisexuality and bloodshed" got my interest. When she spent five good minutes explaining us what was happening in the book and then went 'that isn't spoiler by the way, that all happens in the first fifty pages', this book had me hooked. I can't believe I have to wait at least a year for this now.
F.
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
What a great book! I enjoyed it even more than the first book set in this fantasy universe. The world building, while not knock-your-socks-off, is very good, the writing is quite lovely, and the story and characters captivated me from the beginning. I guessed things a few times, but other times the plot went in directions I didn't expect.

It's a story about love and found family above all things. The main romance (between a boy and a girl) is wonderfully done while still asserting the validity
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(4.5 stars) Blood! Tears! Bisexuality! No, seriously, so much blood.

This was definitely the logical follow up to Of Fire and Stars. Like the original book, this book has enough dull spots that I'll understand when people don't love it as much, but in the end it made me feel so many things I couldn't possibly not love it.

Also worth noting that despite being labeled "book 0.5", this book can definitely be a standalone, read before, after, or without Of Fire and Stars.

So let's get the book's flaws
Shenwei
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-reads
wowowow 😱😱😱😭😭😭 that was so intense and so good
Amanda
***DNF @ 46%***

Inkmistress is the kind of book I find and I think I'm definitely going to love it. It's made out of things I find super cool. This is the story of a demigoddess who can write the future into existence by writing in her own blood. O, and her ex girlfriend also happens to turn into a dragon. Like... this is made of awesome ideas! How could I DNF a book that sounds so cool?

I had to DNF because I was honestly so bored with the story and I gave little to no shits whatsoever about the
Natasha
Review also on my blog Twitter Bookstagram

Arc sent to me via Diverse Book Bridge

Inkmistress is a prequel of sorts to Of Fire and Stars. It is sent many years before it in the same universe. The book introduces new fantasy element to the world called manifesting. Essentially, when people come of age, they can 'manifest' with an animal and then be able to transform into it. I really enjoyed this element of the book.

At the beginning of the novel, the main character Asra's, who is a demigod,
Amanda Stelter
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this story despite the fact that is seemed kind of off to me. Some things felt very unnecessary but then kind of made sense in the end. It was a confusing listen for me. I didnt know if I could trust anyone or who was playing what role half the time.

Overall I did enjoy it and loved the characters for the most part. The story and magic system did feel very well thought out to me. I wouldnt have been able to tell this was a prequel had I not known before hand. But overall I
Cori Reed
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Loved the story and the bisexuality!
Coe
2.5/5
This was.....dull so so dull. Asra did nothing at all until the end. Inas pov would have been so much more interesting.
Shelley
*Source* Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Inkmistress, by author Audrey Coulthurst, is the companion novel to the Of Fire and Stars series. Inkmistress is set in the same world as Of Fire and Stars, but a few hundred years earlier. Asra is the protagonist of Inkmistress. She is a demigod who has the ability to sense the life force in everything. She lives a life of seclusion in the mountains above Karthasha, but uses her blood to add to tinctures that help the village
Kelsey
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc
***I was provided with an eARC by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

First of all...I LOVE that this is in the same world that "Of Fire and Stars" is. I was hoping for a novella, and this was so much more. It's a great story with it's own emotions and awesome characters. I wasn't TOO sure about it at first, I was scared I could keep comparing the two or that I would want the other characters to make an appearance, but...this book held it's own.

There are plenty of awesome magical
Saniya
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trigger warnings: self harm, emotional manipulation, claustrophobia, agoraphobia (? Or a form of it I'm not sure. I googled and it seemed to match up...), physical abuse and torture, mmm that's it I think.

So I knew this was a 5 star book two chapters in because the ending that I had predicted literally happened at the end of the second chapter. I THOUGHT I knew what was going to happen. And I was right. But then after that I had no fucking clue where it was going which is absolutely the best. I
Celine
I finally finished reading!!! Y'all I'm so happy. The book was amazing but I couldn't really get into it because I just didn't have the time but!!! I did it! Only took me like three weeks or so but yay!
Alice Bye
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 ⭐
This had awesome characters and plot and like everything about it was good. Ive never read a book about a blood scribe, or people calling upon the gods to help them transform into a animal.
Rayna
Sep 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Harker
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pacing is a very important aspect of a book to me. It determines how well my attention is kept and how much I enjoy reading about the characters. Bad pacing leads to a boring reading experience. Inkmistress had excellent pacing. Events did not move too fast, nor did they skip ahead. Events unfurled quickly enough to make me happy and keep my book open.

Asra went right to my heart. In the beginning she has this idea that she's selfish because she wants to matter the most to the woman she's
Karen
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, lgbt
See my full review and much more on my blog KissinBlueKaren

Lets cut to the chase, this book explores something I have NEVER seen in YA. I am talking about a character that is attracted to both female and males. Bisexuality is nowhere in YA and I am so happy with the way the author portrayed in this book. I mean, yes there was action and a pretty good story to follow, but more importantly the character doesnt offer apologies or explanations for the way that she is. Asra is bisexual and it doesn
La La
2.5 on the blog.

*review to come, but basically the same problems I had with the her first book.
Karen Hattrup
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book opens really beautifully with a lonely demigod pining for spring and her girlfriend and then OH GOD FIFTY PAGES OF BANDITS AND DEATH AND DRAGONS AND EVERYTHING GOES HORRIBLY WRONG SO VERY QUICKLY. The story seriously rockets off right in the beginning and never lets up, as our poor Asra who has spent most of her life in a damn cave has to journey across the realm chasing down her ruthless, murderess ex while navigating all kinds of complications with politics, magic, the gods. There is ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Inkmistress Audiobook 2 12 Mar 12, 2018 07:43AM

• Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Song of the Dead (Reign of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Afterward
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • The Brilliant Death (The Brilliant Death, #1)
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. Her debut novel, Of Fire and Stars, was published on November 22, 2016 by Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. When shes not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse.

Audrey has a Masters in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI, and

Of Fire and Stars (2 books)
  • Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)