Start by marking “Advent for Everyone: A Journey Through Matthew” as Want to Read:
Advent for Everyone: A Journey Through Matthew

Advent for Everyone: A Journey Through Matthew

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published August 18th 2016 by SPCK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Advent for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advent for Everyone

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Advent for Everyone: A Journey Through Matthew
Brooke
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tom Wright has a gift of transforming complex theological truths into rich, savory meditations. This was an excellent read for the advent season, though in truth I think it would be good for any season.
Bethany
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Reading through a second time. Still enjoyed it and I like the history, background and intention shared about the book of Mathew. However, I think the questions at the end of each day’s reading were not deep enough to lead to much reflection. They were a lot of ‘what is your interpretation’ and ‘what does this mean for you’ which seems to be a very Western mindset and one that (ironically) wasn’t helpful to me in interpreting the scriptures.
Glenn Crouch
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based on Tom Wright’s successful NT for Everyone books, this book takes the reader through Matthew Readings for Advent. The Scripture readings are included and are Wright’s translations, which I do appreciate. The comments seem to be based (as in very similar to, and sometimes identical) to those in his two Matthew for Everyone books, with a little “for reflection” added to each day.

I did enjoy using this book during Advent this year - however I would’ve appreciated more of the comments to be Ad
Amy Jacobsen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I do enjoy this series and the devotional format. The themes of each week held a lot of potential for Advent preparation though I did not find the writings each day to connect very well with the theme. Week one and watching theme was most obvious. I will read more from this author and series though I was a bit disappointed with this particular book.
Justin Edgar
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this for Advent and Christmastime. Wright takes us through the book of Matthew, and the themes of watching, repenting, healing & loving. This is vintage Wright, focusing on the king and kingship of Jesus, the Christ. It was very good, and well worth a read next Advent.
Amy Morgan
NT Wright is generally great, but the advent book was just ok.
Jenni Osborn
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very thought provoking look at the season of Advent through the eyes of Matthew (and Tom Wright). I did this as part of #AdventBookClub and enjoyed both the reading of the book and of other people's reflections... ...more
Aimee
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A useful book to guide you through the Advent period, reflecting on the whole of Jesus' ministry (as told by Matthew) rather than just the Christmas story. Tom Wright's commentary is accessible yet challenging. ...more
Alison Cockerill
Anne Savile
Dec 30, 2019
John Freeman
Dec 12, 2016

• Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs
  • The Kitchen Front
  • A Woman Like Her
  • Barefoot Ways: Praying Through Advent, Christmas and Beyond
  • The Art of Advent: A Painting a Day from Advent to Epiphany
  • My Grape Christmas (The Grape Series Book 3)
  • Five French Hens
  • Hanging by a Thread: The Questions of the Cross
  • Ce Lien Qui Ne Meurt Jamais
  • The War in the Dark
  • The Housemaid's Daughter
  • Notes From Walnut Tree Farm
  • Medieval Graffiti: The Lost Voices of England's Churches
  • The A-Z of Curious Suffolk
  • Life Prayers: From Around the World 365 Prayers, Blessings, and Affirmations to Celebrate the Human Journey
  • The Last of the Stanfields

He also publishes under N.T. Wright.

News & Interviews