Start by marking “Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, 2nd Edition: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques (Overcoming Books)” as Want to Read:

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, 2nd Edition: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques (Overcoming)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  374 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Everyone feels foolish, embarrassed, judged or criticised at times, but this becomes a problem when it undermines your confidence and prevents you from doing what you want to do. Extreme social anxiety and shyness can be crippling but they are readily treated using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

In this fully revised and updated edition, Dr Gillian Butler provides a

Published October 6th 2016 by Robinson (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, 2nd Edition

Jan-Maat
Somewhere round about page two hundred I found this was getting too difficult to read and I was obliged to turn to rereading Kafka's The Trial instead for some light relief. Now I am not sure if it was just one particular thing that I found painful or the abrasive effect of two hundred pages catching at me.

This book is part of a series - although a completely freestanding book - that apparently some Doctor's practises in the UK are providing / or recommending (view spoiler)
Jonathan-David Jackson
This book seems to be filled with lots of great, useful information. It contains a complete plan for freeing yourself from social anxiety. The only problem is that I'm too lazy to follow all the steps, so I will soon be checking out the book Overcoming Laziness.
Leonard Gaya
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who has never felt awkward, out of place or otherwise inhibited when relating to other people? I for one, plead guilty! The aim of this book, which (as stated in the sub-title) is a self-help manual, is to shed some light on this rather widespread psychological phenomenon that, generally speaking, we refer to a “shyness”.

It is in fact a form of anxiety disorder, meaning: a feeling of distress that is out of proportions considering the actual situation we are in. Each individual is sensitive to d
Alex
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read a self-help book and I found it immensely helpful, especially when utilized alongside therapy, my men's support group, and daily writing and journaling. The book is focused on helping you overcome social anxiety and shyness, as you might be able to guess from the title. It does a pretty good job, presenting the tools of cognitive behavioral therapy in very simple and effective ways, and backed up with plenty of exercises and hands-on activities so you can put the ...more
Kasandra Mavrigiannaki
Although I skimmed through quite a bit of a bit because it wasn't entirely relevant to me, there is some really useful information and tactics to use.
Yi
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book claims to offer a slightly unusual, CBT-like solution to a problem that plagues so many souls. It suggests techniques like relaxation, alternative thinking, and ignoring what's inside and focusing on what's outside instead. All nice and tempting; after all, you gotta relax and shut out your distracting inner noises in order to socialize, no?

Unfortunately, upon examination it doesn't hold much water. Except for alternative thinking; adjusting dysfunctional thoughts is a basic principle
Tian Liang
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book in general. I loved the tips shared between the pages on how to deal with shyness and social anxiety, and loved the fact that they distinguished between it and social anxiety. However, one thing that I have to disagree is the point-of-view that bullies have high self-esteem. Very much on the contrary, bullies are people with high self-esteem. They feel really good about themselves! And they are charismatic, they are confident, and they're cool. I mean, in social psychology studi ...more
Susan Baumgartner
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biased, inaccurate thinking can include: predicting faults ahead of time, mind-reading and catastrophizing during an event, and dwelling on a post mortem after an event. Have to agree there.
Lots of useful information in this book to help explain the hazards, and ways to prevent, living in a personal world ruled by anxiety. I'd give it 5 stars if it came with a therapist who'd followup with you to make sure you write in your journal regularly like you're supposed to. :-)
Ina Klaussen
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En fin bok med praktiske hjelpemidler for å overkomme sosial prestasjonsangst.
Ruby
Nov 15, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess I've finished reading this (although I wasn't really reading it linearly), as I've finally had to hand it back to the library after starting work there a week ago, so that none of my colleagues would find out I'd been reading a self help book (the horror! the shame!). So perhaps the book didn't work 100% lol : ))

But still! Fairly solid advice, based on CBT, which I knew the gist of but it was nice to have worked through examples that were applicable to me. I found a lot of the exercises
Stine Fleming
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sengebord
I've read the Danish version, in that translation the style was very American and the examples seemed very American, but the gist of the matter was clear and the tools were very helpful, once you start aktually using them on a regular basis. I definitly reccommend it to people struggling with anxieties concerning how you percieve others percieving you :-)
Janet
Jun 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
Having had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment, , and then reading this book, i found it not much help at all, sorry to say.
Taylor
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Social anxiety and shyness is different for everyone, and Gillian covers many different causes and triggers that you might experience. Things you might never have thought of, like your own safety behaviors and inward attention are very helpful at getting a handle on your personal situation. Through step-by-step guidance, you'll learn to change your thinking patterns, do things differently, reduce self-consciousness, and build self-confidence.

Finding an ebook version took a little work. Amazon se
Jess
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
t
Sam Bloom
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably the worst titled and cover of a book I've read. However whats contained is some of the most valuable and thought out material. It's well laid out, providing the theory behind shyness and social anxiety before going into practical steps. Reading this book won't make you the life and soul of a party or turn you into some great oral speaker. But if followed right it will dismantle these cognitions/thoughts that for some are so detrimental and undermining. It's scary to think that such thou ...more
Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the author's writing style extremely difficult to follow. The book is full of long, rambling sentences that start on one point and finish on another entirely different one. The punctuation was terrible. Reading this book was an infuriating experience, especially as I believe the underlying material is quite good. If only it was structured and edited properly!
Mohammad
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best self-help book I've read. It's practical and applicable. It's provided with worksheets to write down your thinking patterns and follow your progress. CBT sounds scientific and well-researched. I will read the book again at a slower pace to get the most out of it and apply the work step by step.
Jun 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't even get into this book. I tried reading this with my partner and even he had difficulty. I thought that the first chapter was just packed with too much information and the author was trying to cram in everything she knew into one sentence. It was not very well written at all, so if you want a simple straight to book I don't recommend this book!
Anser
The book was not bad at all.
The beginning was really interesting and I did underline a lot of passages and parts in the beginning.
Then it started to become more serious.
It seems it can be helpful when following the worksheets and filling in information.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
*Bought in the UK Kindle Reading Marathon sale (Jul 2012).
Sherouq
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easier said than done,It's really difficult but I'll try my best :)
Natasha
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. While not very captivating, even for a self-help book, it was still useful and informative!
Cansu
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
everything I already know but in book form
Rachael
rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2011
Amanda
Feb 27, 2012
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook on Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • I Love You, But I Don't Trust You: The Complete Guide to Restoring Trust in Your Relationship
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Essential Words for the GRE
  • You've Got Dragons
  • The Bad Doctor
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
  • Overcoming Childhood Trauma: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques (Overcoming Books)

Nonfiction Deals

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
“Self-consciousness comes from focusing your attention inwards, on to yourself, so that you become painfully aware of what is happening to you. At its worst, self-consciousness dominates your attention and makes it difficult to think of anything else but your inner experience – and this can become totally paralyzing.” 1 likes