Start by marking “The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion” as Want to Read:
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion

The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  803 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Danielle Cain is a queer punk rock traveller, jaded from a decade on the road. Searching for clues about her best friend’s mysterious and sudden suicide, she ventures to the squatter, utopian town of Freedom, Iowa. All is not well in Freedom, however: things went awry after the town’s residents summoned a protector spirit to serve as their judge and executioner.

Danielle sh
Published August 15th 2017 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion

Melanie

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review.

“The revolution is about taking power away from the oppressors, not becoming them ourselves.”

Friends, pick up this so underhyped, yet so deserving of more hype, novella. I am blown away. Within 100 pages, this book was able to create a beautifully diverse cast, talk about some pretty important issues, showcases a homeless main character, show the beauty of unconditional-loving found families, and it even gave me some pretty gothic spooky a
destiny ☠ howling libraries
#1 The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion ★★★★★
#2 The Barrow Will Send What it May ★★★★★

”It’s strange how quickly it’s normal, there being magic in the world. It’s strange how little it changes about who we are as people.”

As a long-time horror fan, the biggest complaint I have had about the genre is how exclusive and problematic it can be. For a long time, it’s been really rare that you would find a horror book (or novella) that didn’t feature only white, straight characters—much less that you would
Matthew Quann
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, novella
One of my favourite things about reading is when I am able to inhabit a perspectives entirely different from my own. Reading is a great way to build empathy because it asks of the reader to abandon their own viewpoints in favour of another. When we engage with those different viewpoints, we are forced to try and understand them, and through that act come to appreciate another's existence. What's really special is when an author is able to provide such a unique viewpoint and voice that it makes e ...more
Richard Derus
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five
...the fuck did I just read...?

#ReadingIsResistance to run-of-the-mill fantasy reads. This ain't your uncle's LotR!

THE LAMB WILL SLAUGHTER THE LION

4 stars to *really* new Urban Fantasy starring genderqueer, celibate, anarchist punk leads in a life-or-death battle against the cops, the otherworld, and themselves! Tor.com Publishing gets kudos for this great #Booksgiving gift.
K.J. Charles
I wolfed this down. It's a lovely and unusual read: a queer traveller comes to an off grid type settlement of anarchists and dropouts which has been set up as a utopia to discover why her friend left it and killed himself. Part of the reason might be the giant murderous demon stag he helped summon. Oops.

This is on one level a tense horror novel, where forces of the State and society and male violence are as much a sinister and pervasive threat as the heart-eating magic deer. But, as that suggest
Lucille
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was going to rate this 4 enthusiastic stars and realised that I actually see no reason to not give this 5 stars so: 5 stars!

Edit 10/05/17 : Just found out this is going to be a series and I'm HAPPY!! *currently working on my review but this is an August release so I won't post it this month ><*
_______________________
Review originally posted on my blog!

I started reading this novella without having read the description first (as I often do…), mostly because it was super short and I was th
Emily
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I REALLY enjoyed this, but I do think my enjoyment was very colored by the fact that I already own the sequel to this.

I really enjoyed the ways Killjoy played around with ideas of power. This is set in an anarchist/squatter commune that has summoned a (maybe?) vengeful demon. Killjoy examines how, often, we become the very thing we claim to be overthrowing. When it comes to power, this is something that we can observe throughout history. That she condensed a seemingly expansive theme into about
Kaleigh Robbins
Nov 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Novellas can be a powerful tool when wielded by a competent crafter. The advantage of writing a novella is being able to delve into multiple aspects of one complex idea without having to reach for other sources of conflict. For storytellers more concerned with entertainment than deep thought, novellas are a challenge of self-discipline and creativity. They must tell a satisfying tale while heavily cutting anything that does not develop the narrative.
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion does none o
Roy
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A weird combination of Animal farm with Demon hunters in a horror setting. Decent enough. May have been better if a longer fleshed out story had been developed.
Acqua
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion is the first novella in the Danielle Cain series, which follows a queer woman who has lived on the road for years and is now investigating the death of a friend. This leads her to Freedom, Iowa, a small almost-utopian town in which anarchy apparently works. If we ignore the murderous three-antlered deer who loves to disembowel those who try to seize power, of course.

I thought this was a solid beginning for a series, but nothing more - and I wanted more from this
Wealhtheow
Danielle Cain hitchhikes to Freedom, Iowa to discover what it was there that led her best friend Clay to kill himself. As soon as she arrives she sees an undead bloodred stag feeding on a rabbit. So clearly, something weird is up. She rapidly falls in with some of Clay's old friends, and they spill the story: Clay and a few others summoned a spirit to get rid of a power-hungry guy, and now the spirit pretty much rules their town. The townfolk (and for that matter, Danielle) are split about this: ...more
Leah Rachel
One of the newest Tor.com novellas is The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion by Margaret Killjoy, the first in a series, coming out August 15. Danielle Cain, a wanderer at heart (ha), arrives at the communal town that her friend had been so happy in—until he killed himself a few weeks earlier. She’s seeking answers, but she’ll find many more questions there than she’d like: starting with the blood-red, three-antlered, carnivorous deer she sees on her first day in town.

Killjoy paints a creepy world. I
Leah
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very forgettable, a bit didactic and far too American, this novella suffers from the real problem of having the author's passion foremost and the fantastical elements thought up to fit in with it.

Collectivist anarchists call up a spirit to ensure nobody can have power over anybody else. I guess it's supposed to be a meditation on the futility of utopianism and far-left dreams, but it bogged itself down in light urban fantasy style and fell flat. Too much Charles de Lint, not enough Tao Lin. Thi
Amanda
Aug 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a refreshing change of pace! Most horror stories rely on supposedly intelligent people doing stupid things to drive the plot, but The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion relies on stupid people doing stupid things.
Leseparatist
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, owned
Very interesting character work and beautifully atmospheric writing. I found the sense of place and the imagery to be evocative and memorable, and I enjoyed the voice. I didn't really care one way or the other about anarchism except to find the book a tiny bit preachy (I mean, it's not that it's not critical, but the characters can certainly get expository).

The thing is, the energy seems to peter out a little about 2/3 through. The final confrontation was abrupt and I could have used a more ela
Mel
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do not always have luck with horror stories because I often cannot tell in advance whether it’s the scary kind that I like or the gory kind that I can’t stomach and usually can’t even finish. This short horror novella is a scary one and doesn’t focus on violence, although there is some, but it is not very explicit.

Moreover, for the most part of the book, it is rather diffusely scary since it’s unclear what is going on or why, and much of the creepiness depends on the not knowing. I love that.
Fiona
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an excerpt from this, about a month before it came out - that was one long month!

It's a fantastic novella. I've read other, shorter, stories from Margaret Killjoy and they're usually the epitome of punk - short, punchy, and unapologetically unusual. That wouldn't always translate well to a longer form, but this book mellows out just enough. Mirroring the storyline, it's the punk that's found home, that can relax while staying true to themselves.

Danielle Cain is a semi-autobiographical cha
Bridget Mckinney
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion is the first book in the queer anarchist punk demon hunter series you didn't know you needed. Danielle Cain is a smart, resourceful heroine, and I am looking forward to the further adventures of her and the friends she makes in this book. However, the real star of The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion is its unique setting--a utopian squatters' community in the imaginary Freedom, Iowa--and the magic with which Margaret Killjoy has infused it. The three-antlered deer s ...more
Rachel Pollock
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to love this book. I absolutely loved Margaret Killjoy's first novel, Country of Ghosts, and when I read the description of this one released by Tor.com, it was something that sounded right up my alley.

It did not disappoint. I'll cop to the fact that I am perhaps predisposed to be partial to a story about anarchist queer punks fighting demons, but hello? That's awesome.

I'm excited that this is the first in a series, and I can't wait to read more about the characters.

I'm par
Misha
This is a stunning debut novella with an economical yet evocative style. Danielle Cain is an anarchist punk traveler in an American wasteland who goes in search of Freedom, Iowa, where her friend Clay last lived before he killed himself. Danielle finds an anarchist community the likes of which she had once dreamed, but there is a catch: a bloodred deer with three antlers has been summoned to protect the town from those who threaten its anarchist utopian ideals--who want to take power instead of ...more
Samuel
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While it wrapped up a bit too quickly and "neatly" this was the perfect book to close 2017 and begin 2018 with. Some of the bootstraps-up utopianism of Cory Doctorow, some of the anarchist punk occultism of Nick Mamatas, and uniquely Margaret Killjoy's. I can't wait to see what this motley crew gets up to next, Scooby Doo Mystery Van Style.
Rachel Brand
My pre-order arrived an entire day early and I was like, "Yes, I'm going to binge-read this and ignore all the Nazis!" and then my three-year-old was like, "LOL, parents don't have time to binge-read books." Thus, a 125-page novella took me four days to read. It would probably be best appreciated it in one sitting, but there is something kind of fun about sneaking a few pages here and there, mostly on buses (with people giving you odd looks as they peer over your shoulder and spot details about ...more
Aleksandra
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion is speculative fiction novella and the first book in the series. The story is about Danielle, who travels to little town Freedom, Iowa, which is inhabited by squatters and punks, to learn about a life of her deceased friend. There's murderous demon, magical rituals and it's all I'm going to say because for such a short novella, anything else is a spoiler.

It was entertaining, spooky and thought-provoking read; honestly a fascinating and rare combo. The story tackl
Cathy
Sana
'Imagine being so sure of the righteousness of your cause that you’re willing to sacrifice your own ideals to achieve them.'

'I believe in a messy, imperfect world where we just, collectively or individually, figure things out.'

AAAAH, WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN. DEMON DEER, DEVIL BIRDS, UNDEAD PREYS WHAT. Like I have 80+ highlights and this is only 130 pages long?

Set in an anarchist community, The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion effortlessly portrays the problem with hierarchical societies, whether it's
HiRo
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Solid 1.5-star meh from me. I liked the idea of Uliksi, I was excited for the promise of seeing a bunch of anarchists fight a demon-deer, and I am all over that gay shit. Unfortunately, the gay shit was sudden, unjustified and emotionless, the characters weren't fleshed out enough to be likable, the writing itself was boring and the whole thing was topped off with a really disappointing non-ending where the problem literally solves itself. It wasn't frightening, it wasn't really that endearing, ...more
Ryan Mishap
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
There are no limits on how fiction can be used to explore real life themes, and Killjoy proves again that so-called genre fiction can fill this role that many people believe is only reserved for literary fiction.

One of the strengths of anarchism as a philosophy and as a way of living is its preoccupation with power: what it is, who has it when, how it changes relations, is it necessary, who uses it to make decisions. Power relationships between people, classes, and institutions in our current s
Alex Bledsoe
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who also tries to write folkloric tales set in the modern world, I appreciated the balancing act Killjoy pulls off. There's never too much of any one aspect (romance, suspense, the supernatural), and the pace is really good (I read it straight through in about four hours). The magical aspect is very organic and low-key, and its manifestations unique and, I believe, original to the story (I found nothing about it online, at any rate). An introduction to the world of an upcoming series, ...more
kari
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The Lamb..." speaks to my anarchist, leftist sensibilities so much. I felt the characters and their world so vividly. I was truly scared when Uliksi appeared, terrified by the concept of violence that is rightful. And maybe the ending was a little rushed, and the monologue spelling out what just had happened was the book's weakest point - but I really could overlook that because of that beautiful analysis of anarchist politics.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Review Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

4.5 Stars!

**** Huge thank you to Tor for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review!****

I was so excited when I first saw this novella, I mean the cover and the title are both so unique and creepy in the best way possible! Then I read the description, which promised some creepiness, magic, mystery, and even some paranormal vibes, and I was sold!

Plot

Since this is a novella and therefore very short, the pacing was fast and stuck with i
Margaret is an itinerant author, editor, and photographer whose interests include forest defense, anarchism, and the serial comma.

More about Margaret Killjoy

Danielle Cain (2 books)
  • The Barrow Will Send What it May (Danielle Cain #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Maybe because he’d been exiled from paradise by a beast of his own making. Because he’d decided Freedom was home, and he couldn’t come back. That’s what having a home will do to you. Maybe.” 1 likes
“On a whim, I went with him. I could always stab him if he tried anything, after all.” 0 likes