Start by marking “The War Queen” as Want to Read:
The War Queen

Read Book* *Different edition

The War Queen

Altarn is the first woman to hold the position of State Head in Blindvar. When Lord Kaelin, State Head of Ruidenthall, propositions her to merger with their states, Altarn believes it’s his subtle way of taking her state for his own, making himself king. On the cusp of war, she rides in disguise to her last ally, Luthsinia, to ask for help.

During her journey, Altarn is
Published October 14th 2016 by Tirgearr Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The War Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Queen

Start your review of The War Queen
J.M. Robison
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Though Goodreads allows authors to write a review about their own book, I don't think any of you would find that helpful. Instead, I want to share with you where I got the inspiration for The War Queen:

I conceived the idea for The War Queen In 2008. I'd gone for a midnight walk to the pillars above ISU campus in Pocatello, ID. I'm fairly imaginative and always creating stories and scenarios in my head, so while sitting beneath the pillars by myself, I imagined that some god had fallen on the
Sheldon Pollock
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The war queen is a great book for all who enjoy the fantasy stories, and its a good twist and great addition to have a female hero and main character. easy to follow story line and good flow to the reader. This book is recommended for anyone looking for a great fantacy story with a small touch of romance for those who need it.
Cami Hensley
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes you in and doesn't let go.
For a first book this author has my full and utter attention. If she can continue this storytelling she has in this book, then we have an author to be watched.
Thank you for this book and please keep going with your imagination. It is truly a gift.
Isaac
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JM Robison is a maestro with a pen. In yet another one of her fantastic stories, dynamic characters journey through the story of The War Queen - characters who remind us of ourselves in many ways; how we actually are, and who we’d like to be. Faced with dire threats and crises throughout the book, characters are faced with difficult situations and are forced to make hard choices that they must live with as they navigate an absolutely brilliant plotline.

The vivid world-building in The War Queen
R.K. Emery
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For a fantasy tale, this was a good sized book and it was a very fast paced read in addition to it. It kept me wanting to continue, it was fun and addictive. There wasn't any time to have my mind wandering. From the get go, there was lots of things happening at once.

The writing style was simple and the narration was easy to follow. The imagery had me immersed in the realm introduced by the author. The characters were rich and well portrayed. The smooth flow of the tale kept me stable even
Samantha Turley
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved the descriptive way this novel was written. It really submerges the reader into the world.
This novel was very vivid in the descriptions, the writing really jumped off the pages and into my mind, so kudos to her for that.
I liked the dark moments, those appealed to me and I think they were well done. As were the surprises.
I enjoyed the characters and the growth they showed throughout the novel.
Overall pacing was great. I felt like it really kept pace the entire time and I never felt like
C. Gonzales
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
JM Robison has a great ability for description. She really makes the reader understand the ins and outs of her characters by giving such in depth descriptions.

I enjoyed the chemistry between the characters and the great addition of WIT. I found myself laughing out loud many times through this read.

The author has a beautiful and smooth writing style. It was very easy to follow.
Overall, I really enjoyed this. There is plenty going on and its a very quick yet satisfying read.
Rebecca
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read a sample of the first chapter I knew that Altarn’s character and her position as State Head was going to be something that interested me a lot. I don’t think I need to go into the many debates about gender equality that are out there at the moment. I’m sure you see it all the time, be it on social media or the news etc. I knew this book was going to intrigue me because I wanted to see how the fictional society of this book adapted to the change of power being in the hands of a female ...more
Natasha
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of my favorite books! Romance and adventure, my two favorite things!
InD'tale Magazine
The storytelling in this book is downright amazing!

Read full review in the 2017 July/August issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Heather Ramsay
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The War Queen had me hooked by the first chapter. The fantastical imagery transported me to Endendre where I joined Lady Altarn on her struggles to overcome her own insecurities and find the strength to battle them.

I fell in love with all the characters. From their comical banter with each other to their emotional outbursts, I found myself liking them more as the book went on.

The slow burn chemistry between Lady Altarn and Lord Kaelin had me on the edge of my seat (and reading all night) eager
Kyle Hetrick
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katrina
The War Queen is a début book by a new author, so let me start with complimenting J.M. Robison on her effort.

What worked for me:
The premise was interesting
The writing style is easy and the flow of the story moved well

What can it use?
Fleshier background information – a lot of it is sketchy. While you get some historical/ geographical background, it is often too vague to create clearly-defined picture and feel of the era and the place. Also, for a book that is described as fantasy-adventure, the
Teresa
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book led me into a fantasy world of adventure. Each chapter left me with a different emotion and I thoroughly enjoyed every one. A couple of late nights, unable to put it down, made the adventure end too soon. Thanks for the ride.
James
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story.
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Jun 06, 2019
Kellie
Dec 19, 2016
Raph♛
Dec 21, 2016
RABT Book Tours: Virtual Book Tour: The War Queen by J.M. Robison 1 2 Feb 18, 2018 10:10PM

• Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • The Summons
  • The Mirror’s Truth (Manifest Delusions, #2)
  • Swarm and Steel (Manifest Delusions, #3)
  • The Seer King (The Seer King Trilogy, #1)
J.M. Robison is a fantasy author who chronicles the events which force heroes to reveal their mistakes, lead rebellions to dethrone tyranny, and unearth ancient secrets to free the oppressed. Some day she'll pack the wagon and roam the mountains in search of dragons.
“They don't want a princess. They want a war queen.” 4 likes