Start by marking “The Lighthouse Keeper (Starlight Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse Keeper (Starlight Cove, #1)

The Lighthouse Keeper

(Starlight Cove #1)

Dawn Conners’s parents are famous for finding historic treasures, but she has a knack for losing things—her job, her boyfriend, and now, her reputation. Thanks to a mud-slinging exposé, Dawn’s late great-grandfather is assumed guilty of stealing silver from a century-old shipwreck. Hoping to clear his name, Dawn returns to Starlight Cove, her idyllic hometown on Lake Michi ...more
Published April 4th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse Keeper, please sign up.
Cynthia Ellingsen First off, thank you so much for reading The Lighthouse Keeper, Linda. I truly hope you enjoyed it and I love it that you cited Uncle John! He is…moreFirst off, thank you so much for reading The Lighthouse Keeper, Linda. I truly hope you enjoyed it and I love it that you cited Uncle John! He is indeed listed in the acknowledgements section as we spent a fun day researching lighthouses together in northern Michigan. I also watched several educational videos and completed online research. In the end, what worked for me was learning everything I could about lighthouses and then, letting it all go and writing the story. The knowledge I had acquired popped back into my head when it needed to and I could go back and check my notes to ensure accuracy.
Are you a writer? This sounds like a very writerly question. :) (less)

Tulay
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cover made me download this book.

Good story about treasure hunt and restoration of the lighthouse. Small town at Lake Michigan, close loving family and their hunt to clear the name of the grandfather. Light, enjoyable story.
Cynthia Ellingsen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm a little biased. :)
Linda

I love exploring vintage lighthouses. There is something about visiting a part of the past that saved so many lives. The steep stairs, low doorways and thick walls along with the wonder of extreme physical exertion makes me appreciate the lonely life of the custodian.

I was excited to find this contemporary piece of fiction contained a light mystery, some snarky humor, bites of snappy conversation and the 'opposite attract' genre. Color me impressed!

~~~
After a well-meaning fiasco by her
Abigail
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
5 TREASURE HUNTING STARS

This captured me right from the start, Treasure hunting, scandal, small town life, a girl turning over a new leaf on a journey of self discovery all topped off with some true love while not throwing it in your face. The story took me on a ride I did not regret!
Terri Lynn
I am not one who likes chick lit or straight up romance but this is romantic suspense and I have always loved romantic suspense especially when the mystery is more prevalent than the romance and there isn't a lot of explicit sex and this book is just right and a real treat to read. It even has humor that is actually funny and not forced.

Dawn is a young woman whose childhood as the daughter of treasure hunters who constantly moved, making it impossible to make friends or have any stability has l
Belles
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2018
I chose this book to mark off an item in a reading scavenger hunt, but soon found myself almost as obsessed as the characters in finding out what really happened all those years ago!
Kathryn
Enjoyable, although in spots dragged just a tad. Liked the lighthouse element and its renovation. Mystery was light but interesting.
Timy
Actual rating: 3.5

The full review can be found on my blog too !here!

There is something undoubtedly charming about lighthouses. I’ve never seen one in real life, but I want to. Kind of envied Dawn every time she went up to the top, sitting looking out to the lake. In her place I would totally have my library/study up there with a spectacular view.

Dawn lost her job, her boyfriend and her family’s reputation in a day, after a disastrous TV programme about her family, and treasure hunting. On top of
Kelly
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Really amazed that the reviews for this book are so high. I only made it through an hour or so of the the Audible edition before I quit. I was worried that my eyeballs would get stuck in my forehead because I rolled them up so often during the set-up, which so defies believability that it might be classified as science fiction.

The story starts with Dawn Conner, who would have been called a Yuppie in my day, watching a TV episode about a old shipwreck in Lake Michigan involving her great grandfat
Marie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read anything by Cynthia Ellingsen before but I was intrigued by the title and description of this book. I have a real affinity for all things concerning the sea, so the lure of a story set around a lighthouse and a seafaring community was very appealing.

Dawn manages to lose her job and her boyfriend in rather quick succession. It did feel slightly unbelievable when she lost her job but that was the only minor point in the whole book where I lost a little belief in the plot. I realised
Stefanie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute story! The Lighthouse Keeper by Cynthia Ellingsen, was a story about Dawn Conners, a girl that grew up with treasure hunting parents and a family secret that had yet to be solved.
After losing her job, and her man, she returns to her home town of Starlight Cove to refurbish a lighthouse that she admired since she was a child. Planning to restore it and resell it she soon gets swept into the quaint town life and considers staying put.
After her family is disgraced on national t
Georgia Brann Miller
Lighthouse Mystery

This book hooked me from the first page to the last. Just a simple but intriguing story. Romance, laughter, as well as the mysterAlso and maybe most important to me is the PG rating.
Katherine Pederson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The author lost me at "his collection of muscles rippling with irritation". I thought I could put up with the constant "electricity" between Dawn and Kip (and his always rumpled hair and glowered demeanor), I really did try. Dawn is supposed to be an adult, but acts like a 13 year old. The book is filled with "fillers" (what people are wearing is a big theme) and the characters are one dimensional. This is my first book with a book club...I feel sad.
Jeanne Adamek
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately absorbed in this book. I love lighthouses and the small town the author wrote about. The characters were wonderfully depicted. A touch of mystery and a story that held me until the end--a perfect escape for a dreary rainy day.
Amy Mills
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to get an Advance Reader's Copy of this book and omg it was fantastic. Family drama, a very fun mystery, and romance all rolled into one. This was a great escape and I enjoyed every minute of it! On the recommend list for sure.
Meels
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, on-kindle, romance
Okay, so in the beginning, I have to confess, this book was just okay for me. And, I only read it for Scavenger Hunt items. But, in the end, I got so caught up in the mystery and the hunt for the treasure that by the end I was hooked and stayed up late just to finish that last bit. It’s a good read that makes you do that. The romance was sweet. But, in the end, it was secondary to the STORY.

I still wonder what Dawn is meant to do for a living in that itty bitty town, but whatever...
Patrick
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because it's about a Michigan lighthouse and I've been to most of those open to the public on land in the Lower Peninsula. I thought it would be a mystery but there's far too much chick-lit involved in gushing over guys's muscles and whatnot. And so obvious from the first time they meet that Dawn and Kip will hook up. It's the cliche thing where they hate each other at first so obviously they end up together. I wish the author realized a strand of hair is traditionally A hair, thus ...more
Lorna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book captured my imagination right off the bat. Treasure hunting, exploring an old family scandal, falling in love, renovating an old, decrepit lighthouse, being menaced by a group of modern day pirates-it's just a day in the life of Dawn. It takes place on Lake Michigan in the small town where her treasure hunting parents have finally settled down.

Originally I bought this because the author is from my hometown and that intrigued me. But I quickly realized that I would enjoy this no matter
Lady Delacour
Loved Loved Loved
This Fictional Story!
I want to go to Starlight Cove,
eat fudge and hangout at the Lighthouse.
And YES.. I am Fan Crushing the author.
So many laugh out loud moments as well as
sweet eye watering ones.
Narrator Kate Rudd brings soooo much to this story.
Clean Romance Story. With a sprinkling of foul language.
Rafael
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my type of read, i do like mysteries and treasure hunters, but i think this book was aiming more of a female audience, i got boring for time to time like i said before im not the targeted audience.

This book is about a girl raised in a treasure hunter family, she spend her hole life caught in boats and dives while her parents look for treasures, her hole life changed when she was old enough to live by her own and she left the treasure hunting and adventures in the past, but all of tha
Aundrea
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was cute and fluffy. Definitely what I would consider a "feel good" book. The mystery was fun and the charcters are endearing. By the end everything is tied up in a nice and neat HEA.

Audio: I enjoyed the narrator.
Preferred 1.5x speed.
Ann Frohoff
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense. Mystery. Romance. Three of my favorite things. The Lighthouse Keeper is perfectly paced with just enough intrigue, danger & sexual tension to keep you turning the pages late into the night. A well-written journey of self discovery and familial redemption. The big screen is calling for this one!
Cheryl Ann
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! Lots of Mystery, Romance and Danger. Also there was humor. The audio seemed a bit dry.
Meridith Daffron
Loved this book!!!!!

I was captivated reading by this book. It took everything I had to bookmark a new chapter and get some sleep. It was an intriguing, mysterious , adventurous love story of several families woven into one book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, adventure and love stories all in one book. I look forward to reading the author’s other books. I chose this rating of 5 stars because it was a book I didn’t want to quit reading.
Debra Wilson
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
Carolyn Treadwell
Great suspense and love

I am obsessed with lighthouses. I chose this book to get Insight on the operation of a lighthouse. I felt received so much more because it brought me into the mystery of shipwrecks and treasure hunting. Then among all the chaos there is a beautiful love story several in fact I absolutely enjoyed the book.
Frankie Wolf
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read my thoughts on this book and listen to my interview with Cynthia Ellingsen at
JoAnn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Lighthouse Keeper is an extremely well written romance with a touch of mystery. I love the plot, the setting and the well developed characters. My first book by this author but look forward to reading many more. Thanks to Netgalley for my ARC. This is my unbiased review
This book was adorable.

After a news show paints her treasure-hunting family in a negative light, Dawn loses her job and her boyfriend in Boston and is forced to move home for a while. A spontaneous decision leads her to win an auction on the local lighthouse. It is a mess, in need of total restoration (something she isn't sure how to do). But it turns out to be just the project she needs this summer while she solves a family mystery, and puts her life and heart back together with the help of loc
Doreen Morris
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance and Suspense

A real page-turner! I really enjoyed puzzling everything out. If you love lighthouses, mysteries and romance, this book is for you!

• Ransomwood
  • Buffalo Gal
  • Imagine
  • For the Love of Jazz
  • Lucky Suit
  • Hover
  • The Root of all Trouble(A Nina Quinn #7)
  • Second Chance Grill (Liberty, #1)
  • Among the Poppies
  • Southern Discomfort (A Southern B&B Mystery #1)
  • A Crazy Kind of Love
  • The Edge of Forever
  • Delectable (Big Sky Pie #1)
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • The Book of the Seven Delights
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • The Fall of Maggie Brown
  • Lady with a Black Umbrella

Starlight Cove (3 books)
  • The Winemaker's Secret (Starlight Cove, #2)
  • A Bittersweet Surprise (Starlight Cove #3)
“an easy ascent up the stairs. The” 0 likes