Start by marking “Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress, #2)

Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix

(Rise of the Empress #2)

This fairy tale retelling lives in a mystical world inspired by the Far East, where the Dragon Lord and the Serpent God battle for control of the earthly realm; it is here that the flawed heroine of Forest of a Thousand Lanterns finally meets her match. An epic fantasy finale to the Rise of the Empress novels.

Princess Jade has grown up in exile, hidden away in a monastery
Published November 6th 2018 by Philomel Books (Penguin Random House)

Emily May
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2018
*sigh* It's never as fun reading about the good guy.

It's a real shame that this sequel is so slow when Forest of a Thousand Lanterns was so freaking good. It's also a shame to see the focus go from the amazing evil complex villain that is Xifeng, to rightful Empress and all-round good girl, Jade.

Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix sees Jade now at adolescence after being raised in a monastery. Xifeng has called her back to the city - likely with some nefarious scheme in mind - and Jade will, of cou
Julie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
January 14, 2018:

Hello lovely readers! I never visit my books' Goodreads pages anymore, since these should be safe spaces for readers to share whatever they think and I 100% respect that. Thank you for telling others what you think, no matter what review or rating you leave, because you took time out of your day to do so. I appreciate it!

In that spirit, I am just here quickly to share my excitement about KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX with you! The book comes out in October, and we don't have a
Riley
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
actual rating: 2.5

okay honestly I'll admit I went into this with a bit of a bias because Xifeng is in my top 5 favorite characters of all time so I knew this probably wouldn't pan out in a way I was happy with. But I was willing to give it a chance and see if I could be persuaded to care about Jade.

It took me a while to settle on a rating for this. And for me it comes down to the fact that this paled in comparison to Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. Where that book was complex and intriguing, thi
Beth
DNF at page 193, 50%

I'm not going to lie, I feel so let down by this. After A Forest of a Thousand Lanterns I was really really looking forward to this. It was unique and twisted and a totally unexpected read for last year. So going into this I knew this would be in the perspective of Jade (AKA Snow White) and her journey.

One of the main reasons I've DNF'd this is because I just don't like Jade as a character, I mean I didn't like Xifeng, but she was so interesting and had something about her th
Natalie Monroe
Jan 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
Predictions:

(view spoiler)
Fables&Wren
Nov 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'm constantly checking to see when this book will have more info. I am so anxious that this beautiful anti-hero is going to end horribly because the actual "hero" has to win in the end, right? UGH. I need this book so badly.

- - -

That Title is on FIRE.
Kate (GirlReading)
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This duology is without a doubt one of my favourite fantasies I’ve ever read.
It’s beautifully and intricately written and yet so easy to read. The world is stunning and immersive, without being too heavily described. It features one of the most brilliantly developed and fantastically written villains I have ever read and a cast of multidimensional characters who instantly pull you into the story.

The magic system is unique and easy to follow and the over-lining plot is utterly addictive, with n
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns was great, but Kingdom of the Blazing Phoneix was even better. Because wow.

I think Dao really stepped up with the world building in this one, and it wasn't in an info dump nature. There was a lot of just exploration of different areas of the world (I didn't have the gorgeous map with me) instead of just the Great Forest, and I think that made it a lot easier for me to get a sense of the world Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is set in.

Jade goes on this almost
Stacee
I liked the first book in this series, so I was pretty eager to see how this one played out.

Jade was an easy character to like. She’s loyal and good and nice. So so so sooooooooo nice. And that’s sort of where I lost interest. What I loved from the first book was Xifeng’s ruthlessness. She is in this one, but the focus is all about Jade. There is a small group of characters and I could easily read a companion book about Wren kicking ass.

Plot wise, it was okay. The journey was a mild build up a
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
Review to come.

I have to know what happens, I am absolutely in love with Forest of a Thousand Lanterns and Xifeng.

Maybe not such realistic snakes on the cover though, yes? I absolutely love the new cover designs they are gorgeous oh man just look.

I desperately need more Xifeng in my life!
Hiba
Jan 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
AHHHHHHH the blurb!!!! I hope in the end Jade and Xeifeng become friends and burn the world together!!!!! NOW GIMME THE BOOK NOW
______________

Call me crazy but I want to know more about White Jade then Xifeng. I can't stop thinking where this would go.
Stacy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
No spoilers in this review of Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix. I liked it pretty well and give it 3 stars. This sequel was different from what I expected. I thought it would focus on Xifeng, the main character in Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. She certainly wasn’t my favorite character as she wasn’t a very sympathetic one, but I expected this sequel to be a continuation of her story. It wasn’t. Kingdom was about Jade, the emperor’s daughter (and Xifeng’s stepdaughter).

A nurse has raised Princess
Giselle
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
OH. They changed the cover.. Well looks like I won't be getting this then. Yes I need my books to match..IDC
Rachel Strolle

_________

I NEED IT.
Amanda Kratz
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book. It was a very interesting version of how the evil queen became evil from Snow White set in a fantasy imperial China type setting. This takes place about 15 years after the first book and really almost feels like a stand alone. It didn’t really do the first one justice though.

In this one we follow Jade (the Snow White character) on a journey to stop her step mom the evil queen.

Jade was supposed to be this shy timid character but her actions are anything other than
ALEXA
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Such an excellent companion sequel to Forest of a Thousand Lanterns! Julie does an incredible job making this one read like a fairytale, and weaving in elements from lore, other fairytales and the first book. I definitely got emotional reading this and I can’t believe the story is finally complete!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Not a huge fan of this cover and it also does not at all match the first book...
Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword)
Really excited for this one!!!
Although, don't know how I feel about such drastic cover change. The first one was pretty!

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
N.K. Traver
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an early copy of this, and I can confirm you are in for a treat. This is an epic sequel that succeeds in being both really different from book 1, but also comfortably familiar. There's lots to love here, from seeing where each character in book 1 ends up after 15 years, to exploring the incredible world of Feng Lu, to the gut-wrenching ending. A thrill ride of a read. Don't miss this series!
Nikki
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
In many ways, Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix wasn’t what I was expecting. It’s predecessor, Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, was dark and uncomfortable (in a good way!) and a retelling of a villain origin story. Obviously I therefore loved it. But I wasn’t sure how that would fold into Kingdom. Kingdom is definitely not as dark and uncomfortable! By the end it is a wonderful tale of friendship and a great re-imagining of Snow White in an Asian setting.

It starts pretty slowly, and I have to say I
anna (readingpeaches)
I MISS MY POWER-HUNGRY DAUGHTER XIFENG SO MUCH !!
Lance

2.5 stars. Although I enjoyed Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix , I can't help but be a little disappointed with it. Perhaps its because the first book was so freaking good , but this book just pales in comparison in every single aspect: plot, writing, characters, and more. Yes, it was compelling enough for me to keep flipping pages but it just
Yun
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix is the sequel to Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, and I've been eagerly anticipating it ever since I finished the first book last year. The sequel switches gears and focuses on Jade (east Asian Snow White, reimagined), who is destined to overthrow her evil stepmother Xifeng and save the kingdom. We follow her as she learns of her destiny and sets out on a series of adventures and tasks that will help her achieve her goals.

Many people mentioned they are disappointed
autumn
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this review describes my feelings really well. basically, book 1 was a retelling of the evil stepmother from snow white. Xifeng was a fascinating character to read - a complex antihero who had me passionately rooting both for and against her. this sequel is a (loose) retelling of the snow white character, Jade. i usually have no problem with 'annoyingly nice' characters, but after such an interesting, deep, faceted character as Xifeng, Jade really was annoyingly nice! she had no teeth, no edge. ...more
Tina
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is not a sequel. It's a completly different story with some guest appearances by former characters. The new characters couldn't fill in the gap for me. The story itself is unfortunately nothing new: wandering around, save the world, defeat the evil. Everything I loved about the first one was missing...
ella ✨
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I loved this book so much more than Forest of a Thousand Lanterns - I was a little iffy about picking it up but I’m so glad I did! The relationship between Jade, Wren and Koichi was so lovely and I’m so glad there was a strong friendship between them 🙈
Alice
Sasha Nanua
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply put, this is one of the best books I ever have ever had the pleasure of reading. And I do not say that lightly. This book was action-packed from its core, the quest was a non-stop questioning of Will she succeed/Won’t she succeed, and the characters were well-drawn. I am SO happy with this book, and here’s why.

1. It was a great follow-up to book 1. Forest of a Thousand Lanterns held all the markers of a villain origin story, and this book managed to hold up to that—and surpass it. It’s e
Myka Kobb
Dec 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
EDIT (4/9/18): LOOK AT THAT COVER LOOK AT THAT SYNOPSIS LOOK AT THAT FUCKING MASTERPIECE

description
Thanks for checking out my Goodreads page! I do not check messages or friend requests here, so please visit my website if you'd like to get in touch!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Julie C. Dao (www.juliedao.com) is a proud Vietnamese-American who was born in upstate New York. She studied medicine in college, but came to realize blood and needles were her Kryptonite. By day, she worked in science news and re

Rise of the Empress (2 books)
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)
“Bravery isn't just about being strong and handy with a sword. Sometimes it's about resolve...or deciding whether to face a past you'd rather forgot.” 0 likes
“All my life, I've thought myself weaker than others. But everyone has to work at being brave, don't they? Day after day, in their own way.” 0 likes