Start by marking “Night Fires in the Distance (Night Fires in the Distance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Fires in the Distance (Night Fires in the Distance, #1)

Night Fires in the Distance

(Night Fires in the Distance #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Laura and her husband William Deene have come a long way, from England to Ohio to Indian Territory. With their farm failing and Laura expecting her fourth child, their relationship begins to disintegrate and with another cruel winter coming on, Will’s mistrustful and violent nature becomes more apparent.

Laura finds relief in the arms of their new neighbour, a young man of
Published October 12th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Night Fires in the Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Fires in the Distance

Val
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a bit torn about how to rate this book. It’s well written and I was fully invested in the story. Here’s the problem though; it’s a dark read. I mean it’s seriously depressing. The reader is left with a tiny sliver of hope at the end, but damn it’s rough getting there. That being said, I immediately downloaded the next book and read it as soon as I could. Bottom line: this is a fine piece of literature, but if you’re looking for a fluffy read with a HEA...this ain’t it.
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~

I had no idea what to expect from this and I was pleasantly surprised. Two pioneer women, one running from her husband and the other trapped in an abusive marriage, are trying to make it work on the prairie. This is set at some point in the 1800s, pre-Civil War as there's still slavery, and the characters have the attitudes of white settlers that you'd expect to encounter in those times, which is not always favorable to native peoples or other people of color. This is not revisionist, P
Patty
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love historical lesbian fictions. This book certainly met this expectation and the author did a good job of doing research. The plot was interesting and well planned. The characters were well developed and interesting. During the numerous perils that occurred, you just wanted to cheer on them to success.

The one thing that caused me to give this book a lower score was the numerous editing errors. The last third of the book there seemed to be more spelling, word usage, and grammatical mistakes.
Bib
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the better lesfic books that I have come across lately. Backdrop and characters are so realistically crafted that I felt for them. I searched for more lesfic works by the author and realized this is the only one.
Meh
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite the surprise how good this book is. I ended up picking it up by chance because it was a new release added to Amazon KU Program, and I'm really glad I did.

This book reminded me a lot of Firefly by Whitney Hamilton. And just like that book, this book is also very, very bleak. And by 'bleak' it go with the dictionary meaning of the word. The story is staged in a barren landscape and the general feeling of just about everything is depressing as hell.

And if you want to know if this has a happy
Velvet Lounger
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Laura and William have traveled from England to the prairie, making a home and trying to build a life in the as yet unclaimed Indian Territory. With no neighbors closer than the ramshackle town half a day away, no transport but the ox-puled cart, and nothing but backbreaking work, their lives are harsh by any standard. The relentless stresses and strains of surviving begin to show in the cracks that form between them, and Will’s increasing anger at a life with no respite.

When a new settler, Jame
Tully Vincent
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff, favorites, dark
Lovely read from KU... book hooked me in quickly and kept me reading late into the night.
WhatAStrangeDuck
It's been quite a while since I have read such an emotionally engaging story, and I don't mean of the hearts-and-flowers variety. The word has been used by other reviewers but it just fits. It's bleak. There are so many moments where you wonder why any of the MCs even bother to get up in the morning, and on one level it just killed me but on another level I couldn't help but admire their courage. I said it in one of my status updates - this is not "A Little House on the Prairie" (at least not th ...more
sapphictionaire
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted so much to sink into this prairie landscape. The slow burn of the romantic plot is interrupted by the harsh reality of homesteading. And while that in and of itself is smart pacing, some of the interactions between characters seemed rushed or hard to swallow.
Heather Henkel
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I enjoyed reading this story. It makes me glad I was born when I was born and not a century earlier.
Wanda
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finding love very unexpectedly

I would I like to have a love seen between Laura and Cecelia and to know what happened after they finally left together.
Ginger Miller
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well done

I could feel the hot winds, the bitter cold, hear boots sucking in the mud, smell the buffalo chips smoking, the grainy feel of the cornmeal mush in my mouth. The narrative descriptions of this book makes the reader feel it and taste it. Laura's desperation in her life. The overwhelming need for one hour just for herself. Constant back breaking work that started at sunrise and never ended not even on her pallet as she was forced to do her "duty" with her abusive husband. He beat he
Vikkie Moule
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is something special. Some might say I'm biased because I know the author, but believe me, you want this book.

The temptation is to say it is bleak but I would say that Night Fires is stark. It is a stark tale of two women brought together by a need to escape, to find themselves in the rawest sense. Laura is an English housewife who went with her husband and young children to settle the lawless lands of America. She suffers her husband's verbal and physical abuse but puts her own needs
W. Gregory Kett
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read!

The prolog reaches out and grabs you with its sheer desperation, the rest of the book never lets go.
TV and the movies always has the settlers living in wooden buildings in the middle of nowhere. It is nice to see the sod house properly represented.
All the characters are living and breathing, the action proper to the point that the book is almost as much watched as read.
I grew up not far from one of the Grasshopper Chapels, built to commemorate where the swarm stopped. Word of mo
Skye Kilaen
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as no-because-yikes
I got pretty far into this because the characters and setting were well developed, and I was hopeful their difficult situations would turn around. However, I found myself getting worn out with the negative terminology and attitudes of the main characters towards Native Americans (and the seemingly needless mention of an Asian woman being thrown naked into the street and berated by a white man).

While I have no doubt that the attitudes being portrayed were historically accurate, a skillful and th
Sharon S Emery
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hopes for a sequel

Sarah Goodwin has a winner here! My only complaint is that the book left too many loose ends, so I'm hoping for a sequel! To my understanding, Laura was pregnant when the book ended,s so what happens concerning the birth of her baby, especially considering that the baby's father, Will, died in the first book. Also, what becomes of Laura and Cecelia now that they have decided to head North and start a new life together? And will Cecilia's husband decide to come after her yet to
Shaunette
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
After my second reading...

I'm glad that I revisited the world of Laura and Cecilia. It's good to read works that explore the hardships of women in the past and to be able to compare to today's world. To see how far we've come and how much farther we still have to go to make life better for all women.
Ruth Guajardo
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Impressive portrait of life in the prairies

As a foreigner,I really enjoyed this portrait of the hard life of homesteaders in the Wild West. I suffered forma the hardships that the main characters have to endure and I like the open but brave ending. I think that the writer did a great job un ver research for the background of this original love story.Keep writing!
Norma Chapple
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not to be missed

A brilliant story not to be missed. Well written couldn't put it down it felt like it could be based on a true story. I would like to see a follow up to find out how they coped with their new journey.
Shelly Hamm
Jan 02, 2018
Sheila
Mar 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Self-publishing writer from Benington in the home counties. Educated at Bath Spa University and survived (twice!).

Writes in a variety of genres including; romance, gay and lesbian, horror, supernatural, humor and young adult.

Night Fires in the Distance (2 books)
  • One Nation Afire (Night Fires in the Distance #2)