Start by marking “The Gold-Son” as Want to Read:
The Gold-Son

The Gold-Son

All sixteen-year-old Tommin wants is to make beautiful shoes and care for his beloved granny, but his insatiable need to steal threatens to destroy everything. Driven by a curse that demands more and more gold, he’s sure to get caught eventually.

When mysterious Lorcan Reilly arrives in town with his “niece,” Eve, Tommin believes the fellow wants to help him. Instead, Lorca
Hardcover
Published June 20th 2017 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Gold-Son, please sign up.
[Name Redacted] I haven't read "The Mermaid's Sister" yet, but the romance here is more of a background element -- it comes to the foreground later, but it's more of…moreI haven't read "The Mermaid's Sister" yet, but the romance here is more of a background element -- it comes to the foreground later, but it's more of a challenge to both characters' cherished goals. (less)

Hannah Greendale
Sixteen-year-old Tommin is cursed by a compulsion to steal at regular intervals. All he wants is to be free of the curse, so when a stranger named Lorcan Reilly arrives in town with his niece, Eve, and claims he can break the curse, Tommin willingly follows Lorcan to the underground city of Neathgillan. There, Tommin discovers a realm of leprechauns and is faced with a choice: Should he break the curse to regain his humanity or succumb to the lure of gold and learn the ways of the leprechaun?

The
R.Q. Woodward
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I really wanted to like it. The cover is gorgeous and the description great. Seemed like it would be a fun read.

For starters, the story should have been centered around Eve instead of Tommin. He never changes or takes initiative and feels very flat. He's driven by his curse throughout the story and is nothing but a naive follower. Eve is much more interesting, does all the planning, leg work, and saving, and IMO has a muc
Rikke
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars. I definitely did like it.
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
I wasn't sure this would be my kind of book, but it's about leprechauns, and I love reading about uncommon paranormal creatures/beings, so of course I wanted to read it. And I'm so glad I did because I really liked it!

For starters, I was delightfully swept away by the 1800s Ireland setting where most of the book took place and the atmospheric, fairytale-esque feel of the writing and the story.

Even better was the amazing creativity of the leprechaun aspect! I really want to read mor
Rachel
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, arc
Charming and delightful, THE GOLD-SON reads like a classic fairytale but with a modern day twist. From its traditional opening, to its quaint setting, to its folkloric characters, to its heroic protagonists, to its evil antagonist, to its innocent romance, it is an enchanting and magical and whimsical tale that will immediately grab hold and will keep readers captivated.

Tommin Kelly had no idea why he was so consumed with the need to steal. Had he known the true circumstances of his birth he mig
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
This review was originally published on Spinatale Reviews.

While I enjoyed The Gold-Son, I felt as if it was written for younger readers. It didn’t quite have the depth or development that I typically look for in a story. That being said, I think I would have loved it when I was in middle grade. There was an almost fairytale feel to the writing. Adventure and magic abound and it’s hard to go wrong with Leprechauns.

The story begins with Tommin beginning to change into a leprechaun after he was cla
Hezekiah Brown
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I greatly enjoyed this book. It has the feel of the old Irish Faerie Tales, but it also has a bit of a modern twist. Noble's story-line is well thought out. Although you think that you know the ending when you start reading it, there are several major plot changes along the way so that this story is far from boring. This is a more mature work than her first volume (The Mermaid's Sister) in that she has more developed characters and explores more complex themes this book.
Although this book would
Laura A. Grace
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed this book! It was very different than what I usually read (or have ever read I think). The way the author portrayed the leprechauns is something else! I'm not sure if I'll look at nice shoes the same way again (might be wondering just who made it so wonderfully).

Tommin might have the urge to steal, but I still found him relatable in his struggles of wanting to do right and love his family to the fullest. Eve was also very relatable. I greatly admired her strength and h
Rachel Stansel
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this tale of a teenage boy who learns he was, at birth, destined to become a Leprechaun. We follow him as he tries to balance his two sides and determine what kind of person he is and what kind of life he wants to have. Well told, this is a nice YA book. Part folk tale, there is romance, though sedate. A nice read.

Full disclosure - I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
George
Oct 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
This author always seems to have good ideas, and is very good at description; but she never quite makes things as interesting or entertaining as you'd expect them to be. In this particular book, the leprechauns are unpleasant and not too fun to read about.

A thing that particularly causes the story to be unpleasant, is the main girl wanting to kill the leprechaun that raised her, because he stole her from her parents. Which is very extreme and evil of her, and I cannot quite be on her side.

But I
Meekachii
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going into this book I really wasn't expecting much. I knew it was a fairy tale about leprechauns and that's about it. I was honestly really surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this book! It does have a very classic fairy tale feel (especially in the first half) but it's written in a very modern way. It definitely had the enchanting old school fairy tale feel with none of the confusing puzzles or games that old fairy tales tend to throw your way. It's about a boy who's cursed from the time ...more
Kelsey
I’ll admit, the premise of the book is what first drew me to requesting this book. That it is set in Ireland and deals with Leprechauns—well, that just sounded like a lot of fun. But I found myself losing interest in the story while I was reading it. I finished the first part of the book (it’s separated into two parts), and just was not interested in what was going to happen next.

I did feel some sympathy for Tommin, that he fought his urge to steal, but it was just too strong for him, and it end
Michele Israel Harper
Excellent book! I first read The Mermaid's Sister, which I absolutely adored, and immediately snatched up a review copy and an interview with the author once I found out The Gold-Son was coming out. I was not disappointed.

I never knew much about the world of the Leprechauns, but everything from their greed to their rainbows to their mushroom tea made them seem absolutely real to me. Carrie Anne Noble writes in rich historical and fantastical detail. I would recommend this book to anyone who love
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Folkloric
Bonus Factor: Leprechauns
Anti-Bonus Factor: Awful Grownups
Relationship Status: Hiding My Valuables

Read the full book report here.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is meant to be a YA novel. It's sort of a fairy tale about a young man who becomes the "gold-son" of a leprechaun. The author takes you into a very interesting fantasy world which seemed fresh and fun. I also liked that there is a female heroine/love interest who really saves the day.
K
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Carrie Anne Nobles last book- The Mermaids Sister, and The Gold Son was also good. The characters were well written, the plot was interesting. I enjoyed the time jump of the story. I liked that it was a story about ‘leps’, which I don’t know that I’ve read a story from a leprechaun’s perspective. It was a love story, but not to YAish.
Hayley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Tamara
*I received a free copy of this ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

2.5 stars.

There wasn’t necessarily anything wrong with this book, I just couldn’t get into it. All that time that passed from start to finish? Yeah, I kind of felt like that’s how long it took me to read The Gold-Son. I found myself rushing through it so I could be done. It’s a shame actually because the idea behind it is interesting. It just wasn’t my style of writing, I guess.

Eve and Tommin were all right
Kimberly
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Ms. Noble's first book, "The Mermaid's Sister" so I was thrilled when she released "The Gold-Son," her second novel. The characters here are compelling and real, even within the fantasy world she created. And that world is a fresh and clever take on Leprechauns and Fairies. I appreciated the carefully woven world, full of details and rich descriptions that really brought it to life.

I greatly enjoyed, too, the positive traits of the main protagonists, Tommin and Eve. Both suffered greatly
Bubble Bath Books
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Gold-Son presents a remarkable history and setting for what we think of as those little cute guys in green--leprechauns. Carrie Ann Noble went deep and brought us an imaginative new back story to explain Leprechauns and it ain't pretty like a rainbow. But this is a wonderfully crafted fantasy not to be missed! See our full review at http://wp.me/p5s62b-Te
CR
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
This one was ok. Although it was noted as a Young Adult novel, it's another one that starts out sounding like a middle-grade read. This one is another one that I would tell you not to read the synopsis if you haven't done so. It gives way to much away and pretty much sums up the story for you the reader. I felt through reading this book that I already knew what was going to happen. And for the most part, I did. All thanks to that blurb. There were a few twists and turns that kept the story movin ...more
Etola
Virginia R.
Had this book stopped or resolved at 57%, it would have been a five star book. But Part II made me go completely cold on the novel, which is a shame, because Part 1 was wonderful. The setting and descriptions are vivid and clear, and as a reader, I immediately felt for Tommin, the main character, who comes to discover that the reason he feels such an intense, obsessive need to steal is because he was cursed at birth by a leprechaun, and is destined to become one.

Along the way, Tommin meets a ca
Alayna
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bob Boze
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With The Gold Son, Carrie Anne Noble has sealed her fate as my idol. She’s not turned me into a fantasy lover but she certainly has turned me into a lover of everything she writes. When I grow up as a writer, not likely to happen, but if it does, I want to be just like her. Well, make that, write like her.

When I read the Mermaids Sister, I was immediately impressed with Carrie Anne’s ability to add details into every scene and event that made you feel like you were there, standing in the middle
Ness
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Keri Kobussen
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Audio book review.

An interesting leprechaun curse story spanning hundreds of years. Our main character is a boy, Tommen, touched by a leprechaun when he was a baby, and now cursed to crave gold and silver to the point where stealing it is the only thing that keeps him sane. His gold-father, Lorcan, has lofty ambitions of taking the leprechaun throne for himself, so he kidnaps Tommen to initiate him into the ranks of the leprechauns. Time passes differently in the world underground, and next Tomm
JJ || This Dark Material
BLOG // BLOGLOVIN' // TWITTER

The Gold-Son truly is a tale of two books for me. Its first half progresses with promise, alternating viewpoints between Tommin and his fellow gold-child Eve. Held captive by the ambitious Lorcan, who hopes to seize the leprechaun throne for himself with the help of a bevy of powerful apprentices, they struggle to maintain their humanity against a growing curse. Yet a major skip ahead in time undoes all of the author's hard work and irrevocable stalls the plot just a
Chris
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happily I picked up this gorgeous book from the author at a local book fair in Pennsylvania.... the cover spoke to me and the first sentence -- "In the forest north of Loughgillian stood a tree so beautiful it could bring a grown man to tears—but few ever saw it. The forest was a forbidden place, spoken of only in warning and whispers."... yep, consider me in!

So starts the story of this book about leprechauns. I must say, with all of the faerie books I've read - and myths and magic -- I've never
Katelyn Simpson
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not often find myself so enraptured by a book as to spend a moment writing a review, but I would be doing a discredit to Noble by passing up the opportunity.

Four weeks of raiding the library and intensive book-munching, and I've only picked up two (well, really four, when counting squeals) books that ate away at the back of my mind in return, and the first was a reread of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, so I'm not sure it counts. The second was The Gold-Son; if I hadn'
In the wake of her checkered past as a theatre student, restaurant hostess, certified nurse aide, and newspaper writer, Carrie now writes novels and short stories. She lives in the mountains of Pennsylvania with her tolerant husband, charming children, two naughty cats, a not-so-bright dog, and seven really-not-so-bright chickens. The chickens do not live in the house. You can read her blog at htt ...more
“He didn't care now, not while the world wore such incredibly bright colors. Not while his blood sang the song of the stars inside his veins.” 1 likes
“The fever lit on the town of Loughgillan like a flock of Death's own crows, at first perching wherever their talons could grip easily--upon the very old and the very young. And then, the birds seemed to settle anywhere and everywhere.” 1 likes