Start by marking “The Academy (The Pathways Tree, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Academy (The Pathways Tree, #2)

The Academy

(The Pathways Tree #2)

Librarian's note: This is an Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B01LZ0XIWC.

It should have been a Dream Come True - instead, everything was turning into a nightmare.

Bea is the talk of the town – she is the first fairy to ever be accepted to train at the prestigious Academy. Not only that, but thanks to her, the Mirrors are working again and the fae city of Ænathlin is enjoyi
Kindle Edition
Published October 28th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Academy

Start your review of The Academy (The Pathways Tree, #2)
Andrew Wallace
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fresh from causing havoc at the climax of the first novel in this sequence, ‘The Fairy’s Tale’, plus-size cabbage fairy Bea finds herself entering the fabled Academy to learn how to be a Fiction Management Executive (FME). For those who have yet to encounter the amusing ‘Orwell with pixies’ world of FD Lee’s ‘Pathways Tree’ books, the conceit is that we humans are characters whose destinies are determined by tales invented with daunting industry by a supernatural agency operated from a world jus ...more
Samantha Corkin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Within the prologue of the book we discover a women been tortured and ends up dying, I believe that we discover who this character is later on in the book, but I couldn’t be 100% that it is the character.

The main part of the book starts of with The raconteur telling stories, and Bea getting ready before leaving for the academy. Since Bea has been accepted for the academy she has been getting a mixture of hate and praise mail delivered.

When Bea arrives at the academy there is a few people that d
Heather W
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, atmospheric and incredibly easy to read, The Academy is the second book in The Pathways Tree series and follows Bea as she tries to become an FME while, as a side plot, there are strange goings on in the world of Ænathlin.

Once again, Bea has completely stolen my heart. I love hearing about this little fairy and I find it such a joy to continue her tale. It was also great to get some more character development for my other favourite characters in this series - Melly, Joan and Mistasinon (
Sarah Beswick
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning - hilarious writing which causes unladylike snorting! don't read under the desk at work!

I've just chain read the Fairy Tale and the academy in a week. I must admit it was the tag line to Fairy Tale which caught my interest (for people who don't trust fairy tales). The authors style is one of the easiest and most enjoyable pieces writings I've read in a long time. Reminiscent of Terry Pratchett's style, this book is full of complex characters, laugh out loud moments, and gritty topics. I
Tracey
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Academy

Bea's dream has finally come true. She has made it to The Academy to study to become an FME.
But from the start things go wrong. Not only has The Academy changed locations it also has a new headmistress. And Bea is far from popular with students and staff. Things can only go from bad to worse, and they do.
This second book in the Pathways Tree series sees all the characters from book one return with two new ones Chokey and Hemmings.
I do so love this book. It was well written and the ch
Theo
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A more direct story than the first Pathways Tree book, this one does live up to its gothic ghost story designs and has a great sense of mystery and thriller to it. This is a clever take on fairy tales that is full of ideas that really lock together, a plot that starts off with many threads and then weaves them together and back into the first book. Great stuff.
Rosie Hagland
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read which has left me wanting to go straight to reading the third in the series! Great escapism. I detracted a star because there are a number of grammatical errors - this was the case with the first book too.
Ami
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fairy tale unlike any you've ever read. It is entertaining and full of surprises that kept me turning pages late into the night (my favorite kind of book). I enjoyed it even more than book 1 and I hope you will as well.
Jeanne Mitchell
Oct 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
I understand that fairy tales were dark. What charmed me about the first book soon gave wavy to the increasing violence of the second. I couldn't finish, not wishing to follow the violence through to its conclusion.
Charlie Allin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took a while with the house move and the garden needing A LOT of work, but I finally managed to sit down and finish it, I’m so glad there’s another book because I’m really not emotionally ready for the journey with Bea to end, I urge everyone to buy this series! It is a truly wonderful series
Amy Johnson
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I enjoyed reading this book, maybe not quite as much as the first but I felt connected to the characters, especially Isabella. I'm looking forward to the next one to see what happens with Bea and Mistansinon.
D. Chippett
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the sequel. The characters are engaging, the plot is complex, and best of all, I couldn’t guess the ending!
Teddy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A worthy sequel to the first book - darker and more gothic but no less enjoyable. Plus a completely new settign and a host of new characters to get to know.

Bring on Book Three!

Teddy
Sue Cross
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than book one. Less confusing, or maybe I’m just getting used to the author’s style. Plenty of twists in this one to keep you guessing almost to the end.
The Book
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Had The Divine Comedy in my head after reading this. "She said, 'There's something in the wood shed.'" Very funny, but that shouldn't have been the highlight of the book.
Daisy Madder
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable second book in the series, as some mysteries are solved and others begin
(Note- I should add that I know the author)
Laura Bartrum
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3.75 🌟
Gwen
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book, love the main character Bea
Karen Gibbs
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventure Continues!

The story continues at a good pace. You get to know more about the original characters & meet some endearing new ones. All in all well worth a read.
Jo
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! Can’t wait to read the next one....
Reddy Mallender-Katzy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
I went to sleep thinking about the Story & woke up thinking about the story .... I think it might be addictive ?
I read the Fary's Tale literally one year ago & decided to read it again, however this time i got it on AudioBook !! ... the first time i got it on Kindle from Amazon then discovered if you've already bought it once you get it on Audible for £3.50 where it's normally over £20 - well worth it SUCH A BARGAIN ! I Find the Pathways tree series really relaxing and i have found that the mor
Kirstin
Jun 27, 2019
S R Bayliss
Apr 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Children of Jocasta
  • Leaving America with Erica: How to Travel and Set Yourself Free
  • Trust No One
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
  • Athena's Child
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Ghost Who Loved Diamonds (Haunting Danielle, #2)
  • Alice in Murderland (Magical Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Cat Me If You Can (Cat in the Stacks Mystery #13)
  • The Cat, the Devil, the Last Escape
  • The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • Granting Wishes (Once Upon a Curse, #0.5)
  • The Other People
  • Southern Sass and Killer Cravings
  • The Echo of Broken Dreams (After The Rift #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
I am an avid reader, and will pick up almost anything. I grew up in a comic book shop (seriously), so I also have a great love and respect for comics, superheroes, sci-fi and fantasy.

Please feel free to get in touch with me via Facebook (/fdleeauthor) or Twitter (@faithdlee) or email (faith@fdlee.co.uk).

The Pathways Tree (4 books)
  • The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)
  • The Princess And The Orrery (The Pathways Tree, #3)
  • The Cascade