Start by marking “Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)

Kim & Kim Vol. 1

(Kim & Kim #1-4)

Kim & Kim are 20something besties making a name for themselves in the wild world of interdimensional cowboy law enforcement. A day-glo action adventure that's bursting with energy and enthusiasm, Kim & Kim puts queer women and trans women front and center in an adventure that's bright, happy, punk rock, sci fi & queer as all get-out.

"One of the breakout debuts
Published December 28th 2016 by Black Mask Studios

To ask other readers questions about Kim & Kim Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kim & Kim Vol. 1

Swaye
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS! I loved EVERY panel! Everything about this book, the art, the writing, the characters... so fucking badass and deliciously queer. I have the biggest crush on Kim D. 💘

I haven't laughed this hard at a comic book since Skottie Young's I Hate Fairyland. I can't wait to read Love is a Battlefield!
Mehsi
Well, this certainly sounded better than it was. It was cute at times, but also quite confusing. I did love the art style and the characters were interesting. But I really had to drag my butt through half of the book. Not going to continue with this series. Also not going to write a longer review. I know how touchy people might get about things.
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Punk rock transgender females who fight things in space should have been interesting but.. ugh and meh.

The plot had no idea where it wanted to go and it was supposed to be.. fun? I was annoyed primarily with trying to figure out what was going on and sleepy the rest of the time.
Meg
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! I loved every second of this volume. The only thing that I didn't like was that it was only four issues instead of the usual five! Kim & Kim is truly an incredible series. I adore both Kim's immensely. The writing is down right hysterical and lovable. There were so many amazing moments during this volume that I read it all in one sitting, I couldn't put it down!

Longer review coming soon! :)
L. McCoy
Well, I'll be honest... I only read this because it was in a bundle of comics so I got it anyway. Besides, people were comparing this to Cowboy Bebop so it can't be that bad and it wasn't bad just not really good either.

What's it about?
Eh... it's complicated. I'll get to that later.

Pros:
The art is just fantastic! I really love the art in this book.
The characters are fairly interesting, I wanted to know what happened to them.
The action scenes are REALLY well done.
It is quite funny at times.
It's c
Stewart Tame
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, if a bit incoherent.

Kim Quatro and Kim Dantzler are best friends trying to make a living as interdimensional bounty hunters. Hands up, how many of you think that they take what's supposed to be an easy job but turns out to have all sorts of complications? While the premise may not be particularly new (off the top of my head: Dirty Pair, Pirate Corp$, Those Annoying Post Brothers, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Strontium Dog ...), Visaggio and Cabrera give it enough flash and entertaining dialo
Nikki
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it

Punk rock, bad ass bounty hunters in space. Awesome, I know. And can we say "friendship goals?" Because, yeah. That too. I really liked Kim & Kim, especially for the level of diversity that is represented in the comic. Diverse comic heroes matter, and we get that in spades with our heroines Kim and Kim. We've been getting more and more trans characters featured in comics, and independent/small publishers are definitely the place to look. The story wasn't my absolute favourite, but i
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

I heard great things about Kim & Kim, and I was not disappointed. The first issue was so much fun that I ordered Volume One (which collects issues 1-4) before even finishing that first issue. My only complaint is that now I have to wait for Volume Two!

Kim & Kim is about two women who are “mostly platonic” best friends and partners in bounty hunting. Kim and Kim live in a futuristic world where everything is brightly colored and punk. One of the K
Zedsdead
Two galactic punk rock bounty hunters named Kim drive a galactic VW bus spaceship and beat up bad guys with their galactic guitars.

The aesthetic is extremely pink with loads of stars, and every third panel contains ACTION ZOOM LINES! so that you know something exciting is happening.

This looks like an overly bright, hyperfrenetic Saturday morning cartoon about girl rock stars from 25 years ago. [EDIT: My wife correctly informed me that I was thinking of Barbie and the Rockers.] The cover hurts m
Danika at The Lesbrary
THIS IS SO GOOD. Funny, action-packed, queer, smart, and badass. "Mostly-platonic" best friend bounty hunters in a sci fi world. It's a little but punk, a little bit Jem and the Holograms. I will definitely be keeping up with this series.
Bogi Takács
While I was reading, I kept on thinking "this is a LOT like Cowboy Bebop, except with queer and trans women". Then after I finished, I saw the back cover said basically that. Okay then!

This is one of those times when something is fine but not quite for me. I don't particularly like Cowboy Bebop or the entire wacky-bounty-hunters-in-space-and-whatnot subgenre it inspired. So this kind of fell flat for me despite the cool art and the epic amount of lampshading in the storyline. I also felt the plo
Erika
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, comics
Real Score: 3.5/5
A fast-paced comic that features two kick-ass queer women with lots of bright colours in a scifi world of bounty hunting across the galaxy. Following two best friends, both named Kim, the narrative is about two young women trying to establish their independence as bounty hunters. Set in a fantastic world of aliens and interdimensional planets, these two awesome ladies bond as partners and over their hopes and dreams for the future.

I really appreciated the efforts of Magalene Vi
Renata
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This didn't do a ton for me personally, it felt like there was a LOT stuffed into 4 issues and the world/characters mostly never quite gelled for me? But the art is very fun and I enjoyed the banter between the 2 Kims, and it's definitely great to have a fun space/dimensional adventure with queer & trans characters. I just personally wish it were....slightly more fun? I guess?
Adan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kayla
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!!! It was so cool! I love Kim and Kim's friendship. They're hilarious! Even though Kim & Kim kinda hate Saar and Columbus I kinda like them. I'm excited to see what happens next.
Jaime
2018 pride reads #7
lgbt+ rep:
trans mc, queer mc

This was a fun comic with an amazing art style and endearing main characters.
Adam Stone
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a trend in modern comics to write young female characters with pop-culture drenched dialog and the sort of snappy patter that feel more at home in an episode of Will & Grace than a comic book. It wasn't until reading Magdalene Visaggio's Kim & Kim that I had the obvious realization that the problem was that the snappy pattering young women were all being written by men.

I'm not saying it can't be done successfully by men, Kieron Gillen and Kurtis J. Wiebe have some wonderful fem
Aubrey
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim & Kim are queer interdimensional bounty hunters that travel in a space-modified VW van. Imagine if the Mystery Machine could fly, and you've basically got what they live and work in.

This buddy-cop comic, where instead of buddies the cops are significant others, is a wild ride with restaurant window crashing adventures and gun-wielding battles.

I picked up this comic because the diversity sounded awesome. Who wouldn't want more queer and trans representation in a comic?

As much as I wante
Tiamatty
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
This kicked ass. It's crazy fun, full of dumb laughs but also lots of heart. The Kims are each fun in their own way, though I've gotta give the love to Kim Q. smacking people with a guitar. Kim Q is also trans, which is handled really well, which is unsurprising given writer Magdalene Visaggio is trans. Kim Q's trans status isn't something that's brought up constantly, but it's casually referenced a few times when she speaks of her past. It's always great to see trans representation in comics, e ...more
Robert Bussie
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is called Kim & Kim, but should be called Boring & Boring. Sorry, that may seem harsh, however the story is uneven and not interesting. The banter between Kim and Kim is funny at times like a 1980's buddy cop movie, however unlike a 1980's buddy cop movie there is very little action scenes and even less plot. For a story about inter-galactic bounty hunter chicks with a punk rocker attitude it is very tame and drags on. At one point the chapter ends with the statement "Next: we ...more
Cassie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

Loved the characters and character design, coloring, artwork, and "omniverse". The plot itself was a bit jumpy, but it was fun and funny along the way.
Wendy
Two punk best friend bounty hunters? One of whom uses a guitar as her weapon of choice? Um, yes plz.

Probably not a full 4 stars, but this is a lot of fun. I have to take off some because the time jumps can be a little confusing, and there is a lot of action that happens off page. The page layouts could be better, but that's a pretty minor quibble.

I love the aesthetic of this book. Eva Cabrera does a great job making the art fun and fresh, and Claudia Aguirre is a wonder as the colorist. (Kim Q
KappaBooks
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Real Rating: 3.5/5 stars

I was really on the edge with this when I first read it, so I put off reviewing until I could reread it. Ended up enjoying it way more the 2nd time.

In both readings I will say the characters are far more enjoyable than the plot, however the plot isn't terrible.

KIM & KIM follows two bounty hunters. Kim Q is a trans woman and has been doing bounties for her whole life. Kim D is a WOC and seems to be bi/pan?? and comes from a family of necromancers. These two are a gay
Rob McMonigal
Two bounty hunters trying to get out from under their pasts and just live get entirely too far over their heads in a story that bounces between bright and funny and very serious and get a bit too caught in the middle by the end.

The premise here is a lot of fun, riffing on the bounty hunter trope that gets used a fair amount in fiction. The Kims are immediately engaging characters, and their troubles mount, ramping up the action. The art by Cabrera and Aguire is fantastic, all bold and bright and
Ren
** 3.5 STARS

The negatives here are pretty simple - at times, the world & plot felt unclear and/or contradictory, and for the most part this failed to extend past being a lot of fun, which means it could ultimately wind up being forgettable for me, time will tell. Also, at times the use of text-speak abbreviations worked and was amusing, but it felt a tiny bit overused, especially in the actual, spoken-aloud dialogue.

On the other hand, there were a lot of positives for me. I actually loved th
Gayle Francis Moffet
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, comics, august-2018
Oh, that rock 'n' roll lifestyle when you're mostly broke, beating up bounties with a guitar, and sometimes calling forth sandworms from the hell dimension.

And robo-gorillas. Lots of robo-gorillas.

This is a fun book. It's like everything 14-year-old me wanted in a book except it's written by adults so it's way better than what I would have come up with. It's a shock of color and movement, and the friendship between the Kims is great. They love beating up bad guys and collecting bounties, and t
Willow Redd
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trans
This was an absolute blast!! Described as "equal parts Cowboy Bebop and Broad City" and "Blade Runner meets Jem and the Holograms," Kim & Kim is a fun space romp with two kick-ass bounty hunters who take no shit.

Like, I feel if I go too much more into detail I'll just be summarizing the whole book, and really you just need to read it yourselves. However, I will say that the Fighting Kims (sorry, Kim D.) take on all comers, especially when the rent is due.

Not only are the characters a ton of
Nicole Westen
For those who watched anime in the 90's, this is basically Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop but with way more girl power. Queer girl power for that matter. Kim D is Bisexual, and Kim Q is Trans-female. They also have a hot pink machine gun and battle guitar, respectively. And their space ship is a flying 60's VW van named The Contessa. Read it, it's awesome. Kim D's aunt needs her own spin-off series, I want to know what kind of insane adventures that woman had. Also, I like that the relationship bet ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 5: Truly Outrageous
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
  • Your Black Friend
  • Star Scouts
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Bitch Planet: Triple Feature, Vol. 1 (Bitch Planet: Triple Feature #1)
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 2: The Art of Blood and Fire
  • Blood Stain, Volume 1
  • Jughead, Vol. 1
  • America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez
  • Dept. H, Volume 1: Pressure
  • Motor Crush, Vol. 1
Magdalene Visaggio is a comics writer and essayist. She's the writer and creator of the GLAAD and Eisner-nominated series Kim & Kim, as well as Eternity Girl at DC Comics. She currently resides in Manhattan.

Kim & Kim (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Kim & Kim #1 (Kim & Kim, #1)
  • Kim & Kim #2 (Kim & Kim, #2)
  • Kim & Kim #3 (Kim & Kim, #3)
  • Kim & Kim #4 (Kim & Kim, #4)
  • Kim & Kim: Love Is A Battlefield #1