Start by marking “Redshift Rendezvous” as Want to Read:
Redshift Rendezvous

Redshift Rendezvous

WARNING: Read This Guide Before Boarding the Redshift.

The environment aboard a hyperspace craft is quite safe as long as you are careful. The management reminds you that the speed of light on board this craft is ten meters per second (or about 30 million times slower than what you are used to). This means you will frequently encounter relativistic effects and optical illus
Published November 15th 2016 by ReAnimus Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Redshift Rendezvous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redshift Rendezvous

megHan
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my lifetime of reading, there are very few times that I have ever DNF-ed a book. I'm always convinced that, if I put it down and come back to it later, I may enjoy the book more, and I actually have a folder on my Kindle for books that I need to come back and look at later on.

This book was almost put into that folder. More than once.

I found the first 32% of it to be very tedious. It wasn't the "hard science" that was the problem - I actually prefer that over just regular science fiction - bu
Sean Randall
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being a hard science fiction novel and confusing in some terms, it was actually a very gripping and appealing work. Difficult to believe it's almost 30 years old, it doesn't seem to have aged terribly much. I particularly liked the use of light in the climactic endgame, for which of course we had the groundwork laid, but it was still beautifully executed. Not a novel for the easily confused, but hardily enjoyed for the mind scientific.
Daniyar Turmukhambetov
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Very good setting, average story.
Thom
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A human story (starting with a mystery and ending much larger) in a very clever setting, beginning with the premise that this ship is traveling so fast that the speed of light is visible (10 meters/sec) in some locations. Nominated for a Nebula award, I am surprised this is not well known.

Much time is spent describing the ship, and when they arrive at a particular planet, more time is spent on how the ship is able to "land" and also the main building on this planet. I feel like some illustration
L.
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. I've always been a Stith fan ever since Manhattan Transfer.
Matthew
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The scientific ideas and details are excellent. Unfortunately, the writing is not, particularly character development or really just anytime any character speaks.
Ruralvalley
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
From beginning to end the plot was worked out masterfully. When the last page came I was craving for more from the lives of Jason Kraft and Tara aboard the redshift or beyond. To sum up my thoughts the book is intriguing, unpredictable and leaves you wanting more.

For the first Sci-Fi book I've ever read I can say with complete certainty that I'll be on the hunt for more like this down the road. Though the first half of the book was a bit repetitive at times and it felt more like a documentary o
Katharine Kimbriel
This book falls into the heavy techno-babble form of SF from the late 80s/early 90s. The characters take a long time to gel, and only two of them have any real personality. This is a major flaw for me, and earns it 2.5 stars -- I won't reread it, and would not look for other books by the author.

However, there is a fascinating hyperdrive ship meticulously constructed, every ounce of it squeezed into the plot. Even better, Stith weaves the overall theme and journey of the hero with the fact that e
Joe
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a science fiction novel. It's an action / murder mystery that takes place aboard a hyperspace starcraft.

The book is an enjoyable read, but it suffers from the same problem that many science fiction stories have. The book is somewhat clumsy in describing the technology, and it feels like its interaction with the plot is forced. Furthermore, the main character is a terrible cliche: he's superhumanly wise, yet strong and quick to action; women practically throw themself at him, but he's slo
John
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Actually about three and a half stars, because the plot, premise and climax seemed pretty well thought out. I didn't mind the heavy load of relativistic effects in this mystery so much as its slow pace and drab narrative tone...the latter possibly done deliberately to reflect the narrator's scarred emotional landscape. Maybe Tara should have been the narrator. B- / C+
Tom J
Nov 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am sure that the science here is spot on, but it made my head hurt and was distracting from the actual story he was trying to tell.
Howard Brazee
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent hard SF, good plot, the kind of mystery where the expected happens, nice characterization. Pushed my right buttons.
Gwen
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but great action. Enjoyed this book very much.

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
Tara Olson
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of the theory of relativity will really enjoy this book. It was surprisingly good.
Scribal
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Stith book. The story has some interesting ideas about the nature of evil and the science works with the plot.
Brett
Science Fiction
James Martinez
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good hard ore science fiction with just an interesting bit of story added in.
Durval Menezes
I have read this book a long time ago (10 years or more) but I do remember something of it, so it must have been a more-or-less good book (therefore the 3-stars rating).
Juan Navarro
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, shallow in the overall story however i must say that the physics interested me and the involvement in the story was really original
David
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, own
I liked the way he used the strange proprerties of the hyperspace environment to augment a pretty good story. However, at times it did get a little technical.
Scott Roberts

• Celestis
  • Picoverse
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • Mars Crossing
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • The Byworlder
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • Mission Child
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan #2)
  • What Entropy Means to Me
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)

PUSHBACK , a brand new mystery-suspense novel, was published in November 2018.

PUSHBACK : At his ten-year high-school reunion, an investment counselor finds he doesn't know one person there, and soon realizes he must outwit an unknown antagonist who wants him dead.

"...unsettling Hitchcockian thriller...Judicious use of humor provides some relief from the dark plot line. Fans of Daniel Palmer-esque