Start by marking “Grand Opening” as Want to Read:
Grand Opening

Grand Opening

Set in western Canada during the roaring nineteen eighties, "Grand Opening" is the tragi-comic tale of three men pursuing the dream of owning a restaurant.

Wayne Stevens is a near bankrupt entrepreneur looking for a second chance. Rene Lemieux is a hardened businessman seeking another conquest and more profits. Maurice Deshampes is a recovering alcoholic and chef, desperat
Published 2016 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Grand Opening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand Opening

Georgia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewcopy
Review can also be found in Chill and read

Set in western Canada in the nineteen eighties, “Grand Opening” is a tale of three men pursuing their dream of owning their own restaurant. The book intents to shed some light to the inner self of men. This is an answer to what happens to a man that buries his emotions and sensitivity deep inside, not letting anyone see his true thoughts. It is about how far from reality one can be, when consumed in own assumptions. It also about how much can be earned o
Andrea Lundgren
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
Book Review: Having read "A Dog and His Boy," I agreed to review the author's next book, and in a way, I find they have a bit of a connection. The first one sets up the question of what happens to a man who hardens himself against his emotions and buries guilt and sensitivity beneath a shell, and this novel answers that question, while dealing with a plot, characters, and premise all it's own.

So here's a closer look at its Narration, Content, Characters, Artwork, World-Building, and my Overall R
Jennifer Moville
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this as part of good reads first reads
I found this to be a novel of intrigue as people tried to buy into a restaurant business yet with the backhanders and dodging dealings of some you wondered whether this was ever going to happen.
A short book which tells the story of the opening of this business without too much waffle or intricate complications.
Katherina [Book-o-Craze]
Originally posted on Book-o-Craze!

This book provided a quite interesting read, revolving around the lives of three men, that weren't as successful in life, trying to start a new business from scratch, and all the struggles and doubts they underwent!

First introduced is Wayne. Wayne knows how it's like to run your own business, having already co-owned a club, which after two years close down due to the partners' debts.
He is now forced to do a manual job, in order to make a living, having lost ever
Lee
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful story! I thought it was a good representation of what it is like to open a restaurant. Rene is the wealthy landowner who buys the restaurant and hires two men who are in need of encouragement and new opportunities. Wayne is the new manager at the restaurant, who came from construction work and a failed attempt at owning a night club. Maurice is an assistant chef who has years of experience, but has never been a head chef, in charge of cooking for a restaurant. While Wayne reno ...more
E
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Grand Opening, a novel by T. F. Pruden, the author introduces us to three characters whose lives become intertwined as the result of a shared business venture. Rene sees himself as an entrepreneur and wants to move into something new for him. He buys a restaurant located in a questionable location and that has a series of failures. He is not deterred. Wayne is devastated by the failure of a club he was a partner in. When the story opens he is working at physical labor and just trying to get b ...more
Amy Bartley
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Well written, very detail oriented book. The book spans a couple of weeks, but seems like it should be much longer. I was looking for more action and adventure, this book did not deliver. The author spends a lot of time explaining the characters clothing, etc.... it just wasn't the book for me.
I was impressed with the quality of writing, just wished it had moved faster.
Wendi Manning
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. It was a bit overwhelming in the details of absolutely everything though. I normally enjoy details and descriptions of everything, but this was overkill. It actually took away from the story at times.
This was a good look at three men working through their demons and coming together to open a business. My favorite was Maurice. His drinking has gotten him into trouble before and I really liked his arc the best out of the three. All of the men struggle with some issue in their past
Joanne
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I received my copy from Goodreads for my review. Although this is a shorter book, it took me quite awhile to read. As other readers have said, it is quite detailed in character development - which is not a bad thing - but I found many descriptions repetitive. For instance, Maurice (the chef) was often referred to as the "tall chef." One time is okay, repetitively - no. I enjoyed the character of Wayne as he had the most positive attributes including a great work ethic. The steps leading up to op ...more
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given a chance to read this book since I reviewed another book of his. This one was a much better read, in my opinion. I liked how the author gave descriptive backgrounds to his characters and we saw how they struggled and continued to struggle throughout the story. The author does a good job of character development, and as someone who has worked in multiple restaurants, it was an interesting read about how they went about opening their restaurant.
Aurora Batty
I recieved this book to give it an honest review.
This book took me 6 days to read and honestly it felt longer than that. This book is very VERY detail oriented, so if you like that then maybe this book is for you. It seemed forced and full of fillers.
I gave it a second star because it did pick up a little near the end and was a bit more interesting.
For my full review visit my blog here: https://aurorabattysbooks.wordpress.c...
T.F. Pruden
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nov 02, 2016
Carl
Katherine
Laura Arnold
Nov 19, 2016
T.F. Pruden spent a lifetime learning to write fiction while earning a living in a variety of occupations. Widely traveled, he is a chronicler of the obscure captivated by a never ending search for independence. His fourth novel 'The Recalcitrant P.I.' published in 2018. Of Métis descent, he lives in small town Alberta with canine companion Mr. Koko in western Canada.