Start by marking “A Shiver of Snow and Sky (Skane, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Shiver of Snow and Sky (Skane, #1)

A Shiver of Snow and Sky

(Skane #1)

Red, red, the lights glow red
Beware the danger up ahead…

On the frozen island of Skane, the sky speaks. Beautiful lights appear on clear nights, and their colours have meaning: Green means all is well, and the Goddess is happy. Blue means a snow storm is on the way.

And then there’s red. Red is rare. A warning.

Seventeen years ago, the sky turned red just as Ósa was born, unl
Paperback, UK, 350 pages
Published October 5th 2017 by Scholastic Children's Books

Start your review of A Shiver of Snow and Sky (Skane, #1)
Amalia Gkavea
‘’Though my soul may set in darkness, it
Will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be
Fearful of the night.’’
Sarah Williams

In a land that closely resembles the islands of Scandinavia and Iceland, the winter lights are harbingers of prosperity or doom. The red lights are omens of the plague, of decay and death, a threat unknown and unpredictable, a murderer that claims innocent lives, that separates mothers from their children. Ósa came into this world seventeen years ago
Charlotte May
beware the peaks,
where night time kills,
and mountains speak."

4.5 ⭐️

YES! This was so flipping great you guys! Magic, winter, monsters, mythology. A new genre I didn't even know existed until I read some one else's review. Polar Fantasy - now one of my new fave genres :D

Osa lives in a tiny village on the island of Skan
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I really underestimated this one. I was intrigued years ago, but passed it up thinking I’d never get round to reading it until I picked it up on a whim a few days ago. I fell into this story SO easily!

The writing style in this is beautiful. Not in a flowery descriptive way, but just in a way that uses words not often used in everyday conversation, and yet still sounds completely natural to the character. It flowed so nicely, and worked particularly well as an audiobook because it was just so lo
Maddie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so atmospheric and detailed with the world-building. It felt like an actual quest with stakes and obstacles and general adventure! Although there were some slow moments, the threatening battle and temple scenes made up for it. There was also something interesting going on with narrative, using both first and third person, and including flashbacks and songs. It switched up the pace and always kept me interested. If you like wintery or very legend based fantasy, this is the one for y ...more
Jade Ratley
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that I am a fan of polar fantasy, and it baffles me, how I had this gorgeous book sat on my shelf for so long, with absolutely no idea that it was a polar fantasy. How did I miss that? Look at the cover! Look at the title! What was I thinking?! Anyway, I’ve made that discovery now, and am so pleased that I got around to reading this. It was beautiful.

This book takes place on a snowy island, where the sky glows with certain colours to demonstrate the Goddesses feelings. Through yea
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh this is so wintery and magical and such a wonderful winter read! The worldbuilding is honestly gorgeous (Scandinavian-inspired fantasy worlds are my favourite) and the quest narrative is so fun and I loved the trials Òsa had to complete to reach the Goddess. Also, Sejer is my fave.

(Full review to come)
Femke (booksfemme)
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book. The writing is enchanting, the world-building stunning. A perfect book to read during the colder months!
ash
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gold, gold, the lights glow gold
Reawakens something old.

This book was so beautiful, I never once lost interest. I kept rereading some lines because they were so beautifully written. The world is magical, constellations come to life, the main character is brave, selfless and smart I mean what else do you need.

The part that won my heart was the stars/constellations part in the very beginning. Everything was so described in detailed and it was just so beautiful I'm honestly speechless.

All aroun
Amy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
It took a while to get into it (about 100 pages) but after that, it gets very action packed and interesting and I really liked the ending :) all I can say, is get past the first 100 pages and you’ll enjoy it then ;)
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
2.5 stars.
I got an ARC of this from YALC and I was so excited to pick it up, but it sadly missed the mark for me. I really liked the Nordic inspiration, but there were a lot of contradictions in the world-building and the different languages were elaborated on very little (which made my linguistic heart sad). The inclusion of astronomy was enjoyable, but I found the plot very one dimensional until the final chapter, where it seemed to rush to the conclusion.
Dreximgirl
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Osa was an interesting and developed character and I really liked following her and Ivar throughout the book. The setting was amazing and the people both Osa and Ivar meet through their journeys were intriguing and engaging. A very enjoyable read. 4 and a half stars.
Miss Bookiverse
I read about half of the book and then skimmed through the ending. There was nothing utterly horrible about it but I got so bored after the first few chapters. I expected this to be something along the lines of the movie The Village and kept waiting for a shocking twist but that never happened. Instead flat characters followed a linear storyline told in a repetitive writing style. The Nordic inspiration for the world was a breath of fresh air but apart from that everything else was black and whi ...more
Ellie
When the skies above the island of Skane glow red, the Goddess is sending a warning of plague. The plague last ravaged the population seventeen years ago when Ósa was in her mother's womb. Her mother died that year and her father has never forgiven her. Now the island faces the plague as well as another threat and Ósa needs answers to help save her people.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed about the lack of plague. Instead it's more of a quest, as Ósa must survive harsh weather, avoid being eate
Renee Godding
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars
Hannah
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Skane was built on superstition. Always enter your home right foot first. When you sneeze, someone who bears you ill will has just spoken your name. Don't whistle while looking towards the sun or you might bring on rain. But mostly, the superstitions were about the lights."

4.25

Rating of various aspects of book (out of 10):
Quality of writing: 9
Pace: 6
Plot Development: 7
Characters: 8
Enjoyability: 8.5

I can't believe that this is Lisa Lueddecke's debut novel because I fell in love with her writi
Karen Barber
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having finished this, I’m surprised not to have heard more of a buzz about this.
The book is set on the remote island of Skane, a place of superstition and folklore. Osa, our main character, has always felt alienated by her family. She feels blamed for her mother’s death, and knows that she doesn’t have the support she should expect. However, she does have close friend Ivar who believes in her.
Our story begins with an evocative description of a land filled with lights. Red lights. Everyone knows
Erin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this for the Polar-thon and it was my first experience with the sub-genre of “Polar Fantasy.” I really liked it, but it was very...heavy. Even when things were going well in this world, it was still a fight to survive. It doesn’t help that in this story, the figurative walls were closing in - fast. Very atmospheric, with a well developed, and very believable main female protagonist. Would definitely recommend, and I’m very interested in reading the companion novel set in the same world.
Hannah
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was fast-paced, atmospheric and very enjoyable. I needed a bit of escapism and this provided that nicely.
Christine Spoors
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, read-2019
I love when you discover a surprise new favourite book in December!! I had to change my favourites page in my reading journal because I loved this book so much!! I will be rushing out to buy the second book tomorrow!

In this book we follow Ósa, who lives on the island of Skane, where her people settled after feeling their homeland and they rely on the the lights in the sky to warn them of danger. I absolutely lovely this snowy setting, I’m not sure the exact inspiration perhaps Nordic or just gen
Lauren
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A Shiver of Snow and Sky was recommended to be by a friend so naturally I was excited to read this and came into the book with somewhat high expectations, which unfortunately were not always met.

The writing was atmospheric, I was rooting for characters and it was a truly unique and different story but...I just didn't feel it all of the time. I was slightly confused at the mythology and sometimes forgot who some of the characters were. Moreover I felt like the ending was rather predictable.
Nastassja
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-version
I loved the viking-ish setting! the story started of interestingly enough but as the story progressed I didn’t like it as much. it felt very similar to things I’ve read or seen before and a lot wasn’t explored in detail.
I only noticed the book was classified as a children’s novel until after I bought it, and i wouldn’t have thought that it was because the violence depicted is pretty graphic for a children’s novel imo. also I find it super tiresome when characters just hate on other characters fo
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
4.5 stars I was *consumed* while reading this today, I really fell in love with it
Evie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, owned
the first 100 pages were a bit slow and I didn’t love them, but after that, the plot really picked up and was amazing! For a debut, it was brilliant.
Jazz
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Loved this book!!!

Would highly recommend ⛰ ❄️
Nav (she/her) 🌧
I came across this book, as always, in the library and after a quick read of the synopsis I decided to check it out. I've been reading a lot of contemporary lately so was looking forward to diving into something completely different.

Plot
A Shiver of Snow and Sky follows our main character Ósa who lives on the island of Skane. Lights appear in the sky on Skane but the appearance of red lights means that danger is on its way. The red lights appeared when Ósa was born and a deadly plague was unleash
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a journey and that's what's making it kinda hard to review it. There were so many little things happening that I don't even know where to begin.

A Shiver of Snow and Sky mostly follows the girl Ósa as she leaves her village to go on a dangerous journey to the mountains to seek help for the upcoming plague. It took me a while to get into this book. The world was beautiful and so unlike anything I've ever read. The language in this book is be
Katie Khan
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Red, red, the lights glow red
Beware the danger up ahead…

This is a beautiful book which reads like a classic; you believe it may have even happened one day, long ago, and turned into myth and fable by Lisa Lueddecke.

Set on the island of Skane, the story follows Ósa, a heroine I rooted for throughout. Well-drawn and interesting, Ósa has something to prove as the village essentially believes she is responsible for the death of her mother, during her own birth, when the sky last turned red. When i
Kate Ormand
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ósa knows her village is in danger when the sky over Skane glows red. Last time the lights turned crimson, a plague spread through their village, killing many – including Ósa’s mother. With little love from her father and sister, Ósa spends most of her time with her friend Ivar. Together they try to discover the meaning behind the red lights to prepare for what’s coming, but they find an even greater threat is right on the horizon.

I couldn’t get enough of this gorgeous book. It’s so magical and
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
I'm so sad that I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I was so excited and it had so much potential but I was just struggling to get through it. overall, it just fell flat and was pretty boring. There were a lot of parts that I did enjoy but not enough to give it a higher rating. I did think the writing was gorgeous and I just loved the imagery. I also loved the world building and to me Skane was just as gorgeous. I also really loved the ending and thought the whole thing was rea ...more
Rachel B
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It did take me a little while to get into it, maybe I was going in with too many expectations and it put me off? But when I did get into it I can see why it's such a popular book, some of the descriptions in this book definitely caught my eye throughout - they were so beautiful.

I adored Osa as a character - she was so strong throughout the book despite how she was brought up being blamed for her mothers death. I think her character development was amazing, especially at the end, and I think it w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Cud, miód, Malina. Kronika rodziny Koźlaków
  • Trup na plaży i inne sekrety rodzinne
  • Explorers on Black Ice Bridge (The Explorers' Club #3)
  • Piekarnia czarodzieja
  • Hurt/Comfort
  • The Forbidden Expedition (The Polar Bear Explorers’ Club #2)
  • Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
  • Martwy sezon
  • Ptaki dziwaki
  • Trzynasty księżyc (Żniwiarz, #3)
  • Maresi (The Red Abbey Chronicles, #1)
  • Bogowie muszą być szaleni (Heksalogia o Wiedźmie, #2)
  • Z miłości? To współczuję. Opowieści z Omanu
  • Zakon Drzewa Pomarańczy. Część 2
  • Król Kier (Circus Lumos, #1)
  • Pusta noc (Żniwiarz, #1)
  • Droga Dusz (Żniwiarz, #4)
  • Witch Born
See top shelves…

Skane (2 books)
  • A Storm of Ice and Stars (Skane, #2)