Start by marking “Everything We Lost” as Want to Read:
Everything We Lost

Everything We Lost

Published August 22nd 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Everything We Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything We Lost

Sara
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, this was unexpected! A story about belief and belonging, as well as reality and the strength of rationality vs. faith in the face of uncertainty, Geary's latest novel takes a look into the heart of what it means to be human in the context of an unknowable universe. And, of course, there are UFOs. Or are there? Anyway, that's not what it's really about. As Lucy explores life and memories before and after the unexplained disappearance of her brother, Nolan, the reader gets glimpses into the ...more
Susan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Angela
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I would give this one 2.5 stars. The majority of the book was mediocre for me but the end just killed it. Do I think the writing was terrible? No. The book would have been much better if the author would have stuck to a story line in which mental illness was the focus.
Coleen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though I have never been much of a sci-fi fan and never been intrigued by UFO's, I was interested in reading this mystery. The disappearance of a 16 year old high school boy, Nolan, who has not been found for ten years when his sister, Lucy, two years younger, decides she is going to investigate what happened. The book is described as a psychological thriller involving obsessions, fear and the nature of memory. And it is that, and so much more. It is a book that I will not forget.

I enjoyed
Donna C
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Peg
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to the publisher, William Morrow, via LibraryThing, for an Uncorrected Proof of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

Valerie Geary is a new author for me. She has written what is billed as a psychological thriller but seemed more like a coming-of-age drama about paranoia and UFO's. It's told in alternating voices of the two protagonists, Lucy, and her older brother, Nolan, who disappeared 10 years before when they were both teens. Nolan's voice is in flashbacks to 10 years ago and
Carole
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
A bit too relentlessly depressing.
Samantha
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary from Goodreads:

"Lucy Durant was only fourteen-years-old when she lost her older brother. First to his paranoid delusions as he became increasingly obsessed with UFOs and government conspiracies. Then, permanently, when he walked into the desert outside Bishop, California, and never returned.

Now on the tenth anniversary of Nolan's mysterious disappearance, Lucy is still struggling with guilt and confusion--her memories from that period are blurry and obscured by time, distance, and alcoho
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Everything We Lost by Valerie Geary is a very highly recommended psychological thriller/coming-of-age family drama.

On December 5, 1999, sixteen-year-old Nolan Durant left his home in Bishop, California, with a backpack and several hundred dollars in cash. He never returned. Ten years later Lucy, his now twenty-four-year-old younger sister, has been kicked out of her father's house. This, along with an article her mother wrote, becomes the impetus she needs to set off back to Bishop where she wil
Ellen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kathy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything We Lost by Valerie Geary is an intriguing mystery that explores UFOs, extraterrestrial and government conspiracies. This compelling novel centers around the still unresolved disappearance of then sixteen year old Nolan Durrant, whose increasingly erratic and paranoid behavior and intractable belief in all things UFO raises makes him an outcast among his classmates and an embarrassment to his younger sister, Lucy.

The ten year anniversary of her brother's disappearance is the catalyst f
Sue
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting novel that I could class as a coming-of- age story more than a psychological thriller but no matter what classification you put it into, it's a great readable story. The book is told in alternating chapters by Lucy in present day (10 years after her brother disappeared) and Nolan's voice is from 10 years earlier. Lucy and Nolan had been close when they were younger but as they became teenagers, their closeness disappeared as Lucy became involved with her friends and No ...more
CJ
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Dorina
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is listed as a psychological thriller but, to me, it was more of a coming-of-age mystery. Lucy and Nolan Durant are siblings and growing up playing in the yard together. As they hit their teens, they have a bit of a distance between them as Nolan is older, starting to have interest in a particular girl but far more involved in researching UFOs. Lucy wants to be older and tries to grow up quick by going to parties her brother attends, etc. Then her world and her family's world turns upside d ...more
Amanda Wells
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Another book I picked up on a whim - and the blurb sounded interesting. Certainly it isn't something I've ever encountered before in a book (encounter, haha).

I really liked the premise, and the back and forth between memory and present day, and between Lucy and her missing brother. But I did feel at times that the author lost tight hold on the plot, and I also felt some of the dialogue was the author playing with words, rather than the character actually speaking.

Interesting read though, and I
Amanda
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somethings are just meant to be a mystery...no matter how much you want answers, the universe doesn’t always oblige us. “Everything We Lost” is a heartbreaking journey of a sister trying to remember the events of the night her older brother Nolan disappeared. If you go into this thinking the unknown will become known, you will miss out on the the raw beauty and emotions that take place on the pages. Well written, emotionally raw and an eye opener to the vastness that our world beholds. A journey ...more
Tabitha Lord
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A seamless blend of psychological thriller, family drama, and mystery, Everything We Lost follows Lucy Durant’s search to find her missing brother. A decade ago, Nolan Durant disappeared into the California desert and never returned. Lucy’s memories from that time are unreliable and hazy, but her confusion and lingering guilt drive her to seek the truth. Along the way, she must confront her broken relationship with her mother, the toll her brother’s mental illness took on the family, and her own ...more
John Wheeles
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The proverbial question: Are we alone? This novel attacks one of Man's greatest questions, in the form of a missing person mystery. What ever happened to Nolan? Was he abducted by "Them", beings from another planet? Was he murdered? Did he just decide to disappear?

I will not do spoilers. So, curious about the answers? Grab a copy, and find out some questions and some answers. I can tell you, not all of your questions will be answered.

This is an interesting read, whether you believe we are alone
Bad Penny
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Carmella
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got an advance copy of this book back at the end of July and I enjoyed it. Geary really is a great writer as I could not put this book down at times. The suspense of what actually happened to Nolan and also what happened to Lucy all those years ago kept me going. As Lucy begins her journey to find out what happened to Nolan, her memories start to become clearer and the mystery starts to become a little clearer. This book also deals with sibling and sibling and parent relationships and how thin ...more
Gloria Zak
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book in a free giveaway. I tried to read it two different times. Sometimes a book just doesn’t grab you. So I put it to the side and recently took it with me on a cruise. The second try was no more successful than the first time.

I read a lot of books, and i swear i have read this premise in another book. I couldn’t get into the characters.

I am sorry not to be able to give those book the complete read and review it probably deserves but just couldn’t get past the first 100 pages.
Cristal Jatip
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I have never read a book with UFO's in it. But I do enjoy movies about them.

The story kept me engaged and I loved the books theme about hope and belief. People so easily believe in religion and the Bible but when it comes to Aliens or their being more than just humans in this vast universe, people just laugh and call believers crazy.

Do I believe their are aliens? Who knows but this book will have you questioning what you believe.

Jessica
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
While I am not interested in ufology or aliens or any of that, I picked up this book because the author is related to a friend of mine and I enjoyed her first novel, Crooked River. I enjoy Geary’s style of writing and really the book had an overarching theme about belief and belonging and figuring out both of those and where we belong. Reading at the end about the story behind Everything We Lost written by Geary, she gives an honest confession that made me appreciate the story that much more.
Kristin (Always With a Book)
Full review to be posted on blog.

*First book read by Valerie Geary.
*Not what I was expecting - but not bad.
*Liked way story was told - alternating chapters: Present day from Lucy and past from Nolan.
*Not science fiction fan, but could appreciate Nolan's obsessiveness w/ UFO's - really spoke to his character & his state of mind leading up to his disappearance.
*Kept me engaged - needed to know what was going to happen next in both timelines!
Zoe Obstkuchen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Considering I knew nothing about this beforehand I really enjoyed it. Lucy is an underachiever in her mid-20s held back in life by the trauma of her UFO-researcher brother Nolan's disappearance 10 years earlier. Her hand is forced by the appearance of an article and she returns to her home town to try and discover more about what really happened that night
Douglas
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
My wife bought this book mostly because it is from a local author and we liked the plot. Didn't realize it was considered an YA book, not that it matters to me. It could have been better I suppose but I gave it four stars because it kept my interest and I really wanted to find out what happens at the end.
JDReads
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story alternates between points of view, which helps the reader learn the each character's respective view/role in the story taking place. I was expecting more to develop throughout the story, and that just did not happen. This story about believers and doubters failed to go anywhere, in my opinion.
Marla Madison
Dec 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was a compelling story, the plot kept me reading to an end that cheated me of the time I spent reading the book. The whole idea was Nolan's sister was trying to find out why he disappeared ten years ago. THAT is why I read the book, and after 458 pages, the author did not tell me what happened. A waste of time reading this.
Laura Rash
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A unique story that is told in alternating characters of a brother & sister. Kind of a strange family dynamic & includes UFOs so it's nothing like I'd ever read before. Left me thinking about it long after I finished.
Thanks to Val for this early copy for read & review!
Sandi Lee
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning!!!! Thought provoking... a great sense of place, characters ...just amazing in all respects. Only this writer's second novel?? I want to read everything she's written and look eagerly forward to reading anything new from this amazing young writer. 5 STARS Ms Geary!!!

• I Was Here
  • Quilt by Association (Harriet Truman / Loose Threads Mystery #4)
  • Spark of Light (Avery, #1)
  • Maggie Terry
  • The Sisters
  • The Book of Love and Hate
  • Across a War-Tossed Sea
  • The Downside
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • The Summer Man
  • The Homeplace: A Mystery
  • Live and Let Pie (A Bakeshop Mystery, #9)
  • The River by Starlight
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • Breaking Point (Crashers #2)
  • Midnight Shadows (Harmony Grove #1)
  • Harbor
  • River House
Valerie Geary is the author of Everything We Lost and Crooked River, an Oregon Book Award Finalist and Indie Next Great Read. Now out in paperback! Her short stories have appeared in The Rumpus, Day One, Menda City Review, Boston Literary Magazine, Foundling Review, the UK publication Litro, and others.

She currently lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband. In addition to writing, reading, and a