Start by marking “Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000” as Want to Read:

One of Silicon Valley’s most successful angel investors shares his rules for investing in startups.

There are two ways to make money in startups: create something valuable—or invest in the people that are creating valuable things.

Over the past twenty-five years, Jason Calacanis has made a fortune investing in creators, spotting and helping build and
Published July 18th 2017 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel

Start your review of Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000
Travis Scher
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I doubted this book would be particularly useful to me, as I do this stuff for a living and have done 50+ early stage investments. Not so - while this book is aimed at a mass market and some of the info is quite basic, its filled with absolute gold for folks already doing this professionally. And having read everything else out there on VC investing, I can say this book is by far the best. Highly recommended.
Roger Farley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard won lessons without promotional self-delusion

Honestly, I thought there was a good chance that this might well be a self-congratulatory business memoir that would be a thinly veiled promotional effort for the author's next venture. Despite these misgivings, I was so eager to compare my own angel investing experience with someone else's that I impulsively purchased the book. --and then I couldn't put it down.

This book seemed to be written for novice angel investors, but it actually would fit all
Adam Salamon
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the audiobook and this one came at the perfect time since I've recently made investments in 4 startups and plan on making many more over the course of my career.

Jason Calacanis is known in the Bay to be one of the top investors angel or otherwise and also a very entertaining guy you'll see often on CNBC and the like.  He's a Brooklyn dude, so he's known for his bluntness which comes across amazingly in the audiobook version.   If you have any interest in understanding how star
Eric De Feo
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jason invited us to present at one of his conferences. He's very welcoming and it's great that he supports fledgling entrepreneurs as much as he can. Having been in Silicon Valley the last two years as an entrepreneur and investor, it's a solid book that covers the important points of fundraising. What I'm apprehensive about is the Valley's overzealous nature that has created so much uncertainty in the market, where billionaires are buying bunkers to prepare for end times. Technology is outpacin ...more
Korey
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book (so far) in 2017. Massive highlights! Loved this book. Very actionable and motivating.
Rahul
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is a pretty accurate account of how the Startup world works and how you can still be a part of it even if you are not a founder – be an Angel Investor then. Like any other investment vehicle which has unlimited upside and limited downside – it can be risky.

Jason clearly spells out that if you cannot handle losing all your angel investments do not read the book.

He explains about how you should sift through hundreds of startup ideas and founders to find the right one to fund.
Adam
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across Jason's story via a podcast article on Forbes.com. Jason is the kind of guy you would love to have in your corner he lives on the edge of the future of business and technology. He's an inspirational because he's willing to take more swing for the fences hits. Angel is forward thinking and will stretch your understanding about where the world is going. A plus!

Nuggets of Truth:

The American Dream still exists it's just not a widely distributed
The job apocalypse
Trung Nguyen Dang
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Jason Calacanis. I've subscribed to his podcast "This Week in StartUps with Jason Calacanis". His interviews are superb. He's such a straight shooter and is a joy to listen to.

I listen to the audiobook, which is read by Jason himself. (I think all audiobooks should be read by authors).

If you've been a long-time follower of Jason's podcast, the materials in the books won't seem new as he has mentioned here and there in his blogposts and podcasts. However, the book is the compr
Bryce Ferguson
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason Calacanis offers a playbook for the mysterious world of the generation's kingmakers - angel investing. Though the tips are quite tactical (and thus at times feel out of reach), there are big takeaways for future angels, current investors, and even corporate climbers.

1. The rules to the game have changed. Investing in those that are changing the word is the only surefire way to guarantee outsized returns, and that means focusing on disruptive innovation.
2. Location, location, location. Th
Jeronimo De Leon
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read, a very educational and insightful view of the angel and startup world told by someone who has experienced and lived through it all. Not only is the book highly informative, it is a great business biography of Jason's life. As a startup founder I found great value to learn what it's like on the other side and will hopefully use that knowledge to help me grow my startup www.Welcome.AI and be better prepared when the time comes to meet with angels.
Jack
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book lays out step by step how you too can get a piece of the action... and you don't need to be rich to get started.

OR read this book as an entrepreneur to understand how your potential investors think.

Seriously, read this book.

Jason here is at his finest. He lays bare his history, how he became successful as an investor, and shares his insights and mistakes so you don't have to make them too.
Jeremias
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and insightful. Very silicon valley-centric though and even some wrong facts when it comes to the world outside US. Still a very good read, lots of interesting stories from the business world.
Kevin McDonagh
Concentrated startup hustle circa. 2011-2017. Jason does the work and shares a familiar truth that you have to be willing to hustle hard, with very little thanks for a decade to get the best deals/earn the trust. Moreover he shares an actionable step by step minimum investment path. It's both as simple and as hard as the truth of 'Angel'. Do the work.
Deegii Tsog
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very practical and informative book. A must read for those who are interested in startup early investment as an angel investor or entrepreneur.
Daniel Sinclair
Shelves: venture
a must read for every first-time founder
Neil S W Murray
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this both entertaining and informative and listened to it on Audible. Jason narrated it himself which I believe to be a strong reason as to why I enjoyed it so much, as his personality excels in this format. I doubt I would have enjoyed it quite as much in a written format, however, I am certain I would have still given it at least 4 stars due to the topics covered in the book. My recommendation though would be to listen to it, especially if you are a fan of This Week in Startups and/or ...more
Bobby Brannigan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason really helped me step up my angel investing game. I've invested in 20 companies over the past 2 years and 3 along side Jason. Very excited to read this book!
Niklas Laninge
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really useful, funny and insightful. Recommend!
Alex Rodriguez
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got into angel investing a couple of years back, but never took it too seriously. I decided to give it a go for fun, and now I'm much more devoted to it while running my development agency. Jason's book has been an eye-opener and provided a good plan to get into angel investing sanely while not providing any sort of bullshit. Speaks clear, which I appreciate in a book, and provides sufficient examples to give better understanding of complex situations. A must read.
Fadhli Rahim
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read and also listened to the Audible format which is narrated by Jason Calacanis himself. It feels like he is mentoring you personally. Clear insights. Some strategy to start and a few good tips. A must-have book on how to approach angel investing.
Michael Kamleitner
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Precious little snowflakes" ;) Fun & quick read!
Alan
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I can see at a glance as to how much work went into writing this book. Having read parts, I am passing this book on to my brother in law who will find this book very useful.
Stuart Hargreaves
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although American orientated there are enough good pointers to help investors in Europe . At times, I must admit I did not understand where we were going, but that's probably lost in translation ie American to English I would say give it ago.
Nick
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book if you want to learn how the real wealth is made in Silicon Valley and investing. Also, read this book if you're a founder and want to learn how Angel Investors think. This book is very authentically written in Jason's voice and he doesn't bullsh*t anybody, he tells it like it is - and lucky for you, that's part of his secret to success.
Evan Clark
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A rare and valuable insight into the thoughts of a successful angel investor.

Whilst Jason wrote this book for entrepreneurs looking to transition to becoming angel investors, I'd suggest that the content of the book is even more valuable for entrepreneurs wanting to better understand the angel investors who they'll be attempting to raise their initial capital from.

A very enjoyable, pithy, and worthwhile read. Highly recommended.
Terri Mead
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whether you are new to angel investing, looking to become an angel investor, or an experienced angel investor, this book will have something for you. I've added a few things to my toolbox in my approach to providing value to founders as an angel investor as well as tracking the deals I review for future reference. His direct and no BS style resonates with me as it closely resembles the way I exist in this world but even if you aren't that way, Jason has some very practical advice for every angel ...more
Akmal Akhpah
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason is among the best angel in the Silicon Valley, definitely among the top 5. His insights provide the details of what behind the scene in funding successful startups. A very good book to be read anyone inspired to be an angel investor as well as all founders buildings a startup.
Luke Sonnier
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My experience with Angel was an interesting one. I don’t have any particular desire or plan to become an angel investor. I am currently interviewing to work at a startup in which Mr. Calacanis is a shareholder, and I thought it would be interesting to have read the book in the event that it comes up in my second interview (it came up in the first).

What I found however was that Mr. Calacanis inadvertently (or maybe it was intentional, he seems like a pretty smart guy) gives a really great primer
Danko
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential business books I have ever met. I would even give 10 out of 5 stars for the especially practical approach at this serious and complicated topic!
J.D. Lasica
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
With Silicon Valley at the center of tech culture – and much of pop culture these days – you might be tempted to get in on the startup action. Not founding a startup but investing in one … or a dozen … or, as Jason Calacanis advises in his new book “Angel,” investing $1.5 million in 50 startups over a three-year span.

Now that’s a bold and provocative set of marching orders. Which is what we have come to expect from Calacanis, the Brooklyn-bred journalist turned entrepreneur turned po
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money & Having Fun Investing in Startups
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • #BreakIntoVC: How to Break Into Venture Capital And Think Like an Investor Whether You're a Student, Entrepreneur or Working Professional (Venture Capital Guidebook Book 1)
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Who Is Michael Ovitz?
  • Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World
  • How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break to Get Rich
  • Measure What Matters