Start by marking “The People at Number 9” as Want to Read:
The People at Number 9

The People at Number 9

Have you met them yet, the new couple?

When Gav and Lou move into the house next door, Sara spends days plucking up courage to say hello. The neighbours are glamorous, chaotic and just a little eccentric. They make the rest of Sara's street seem dull by comparison.

When the hand of friendship is extended, Sara is delighted and flattered. Incredibly, Gav and Lou seem to see
Published August 8th 2017 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The People at Number 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People at Number 9

Start your review of The People at Number 9
Liz Barnsley
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

This one is not out for a while so this is a small review I shall talk about it more nearer the time.

The People at Number 9 surprised me - I was expecting another of your usual psychological thriller reads - not that this would be a bad thing but The People At Number 9 has a different vibe to it. The tale of an intense friendship that turns toxic, it was compelling and hugely character driven with Sara at the helm telling the story.

So Gav and Lou move in next door to Sara and Neil -
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Oh Lord. This dragged on and on and on. I so wanted this book to go somewhere, anywhere. I was bored as a banana! Each page had me feeling like it was disjointed from the last. No flow.

I found every character flat and one-dimensional. Just blobs on a page. Personality not! It was literally half a book I managed where absolutely diddly-squat happened. I kid you not. I was waiting for some amazing reveal or twist. I sadly could not cope with one more page and gave up on this.

I believe if a book
sue
I live in number 9 but we are nothing like this family I hasten to add lol

The people at number 9 were an intriguing couple.
The suburban families this book touches are sometimes confusing. I've tossed between a 3 or 4 star rating for me personally. Some I'm going to sit on the fence with a 3.5.

The first half of the book was getting to know the characters. That was fine.
Gavin and Lou has just taken up residence next door to Sara. Sara wants to introduce herself but holds back while she finds
Joanne Robertson
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb of this one I was very keen to read it due to having had a very similar experience a long time ago. So I was interested to see how far this author would take this domestic drama and what twists she would add to a very recognisable “school gate”situation.

I have to admit to not particularly liking either of the couples here so I wasn’t on anyone’s “side” but it was rather fun being a fly on the wall for this particular friendship. I found this to be very much a strong,
Zuky the BookBum
From this synopsis of this book, you imagine this is going to be a bit dark and a bit twisty, but it’s not. It’s simply a domestic thriller about people with a lot of money and connections in high up places flirting, changing life paths and having resentments. I understand that this was a novel about middle-class suburban life, which can be dull, but why did nothing happen? “But those changes will come at a price." I’m sorry, but I must have missed something… What changes? What price?

I didn’t
Rachael
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve read a lot of this types of books lately, where a contented woman meets a new friend and starts to covet their life because they’re rich or cool or beautiful or just... different. That is the case with The people at no.9, Sara wants to be more like Lou, who she sees as a glamorous bohemian and because she falls for her Artist husband, Gav.
I usually love this premise, but the book falls down a little for me because Lou and Gav aren’t covetable in the slightest. Of course, I’m sure this is
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
The People at Number 9 is a slow-burning, character-driven story about the dynamics of friendship. Sara and Neil have new neighbours move in next door and over a period of time, they become very close to the quirky Lou and Gav.

As the story unfolds, it becomes apparent that Sara's outlook on life is being subtly manipulated by this new friendship. The two couples' children become close, and it slowly evolves into something Sara thought was for the greater good.

Lou is an up and coming
Karen Whittard
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Harlequin Uk ltd and Felicity Everett for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under Karen Whittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

There is just something off for me about this book. I just felt a sense of unease and felt a bit uncomfortable reading this book. But I think that might be
Vicki
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes your expectation of what a book is going to be about can skew your experience of reading it. I think this is probably the case with The People At Number 9, being not at all what I was expecting and leaving me a little confused regarding my feelings towards it.

The People At Number 9 tells the story of two couples living in middle class suburbia. When Lou and Gav move in next door to Sara and Neil, Sara is dazzled. Creative, charismatic and cultured, they're everything she wants to be
Aoife
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from Harper Collins UK in exchange for an honest review.

The People at Number 9 follows a middle-aged couple called Sara and Neil and their blossoming friendship with their new next-door neighbours Gav and Lou. While Sara and Neil are pretty ordinary, Gav and Lou are free-spirited and artistic and seem to live life a little on the wild. As Sara and Neil become enamoured by their neighbours, they soon come to realise that they might not be as great as they seem.

I
Megan (ChroniclesOfABookworm)
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
Tried to start this 3 or 4 times and just couldn't get into it. It was so disjointed & awkward & none of the characters were likable at all. Ultimately, it was just boring.

I also ended up looking at non-spoiler reviews to see if the end was worth it but a lot of people said that there wasn't any big reveal or super twist so I gave it up. Another domestic thriller that has no thrill.

Thank you to Harper Collins for sending this in exchange for an honest review.
Christine Jackman
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Life's too short. Don't go wasting it reading this book. I gave up at page 138 because NOTHING HAPPENS!! The characters are despicable, the plot is slow and dull. You'd get more out of looking out your front window and rifling through your neighbour's trash.
Jacob Collins
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at: http://jacob-reviews-books.blogspot.c...

The People At Number 9 is a debut by Felicity Everett.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this book. From reading the blurb I was thinking that it would be a twisty psychological thriller, it wasn’t quite that, but I was very surprised by what I read and I found it an exciting and intriguing read.

When Gavin and Lou move next door to Sara and Neil, Sara is desperate to strike up a conversation with Lou. When she
Lex McArthur
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very Franzenian with brilliantly captured conversations between intelligently drawn characters. I loved it! Lou and Gav, the people at no 9 are otherworldly creatures. From a parallel universe. Same same but different. The good and bad in their complex relationships are revealed in a beautifully nuanced way. I'm now casting a more critical eye over my own friendships. Wish I could capture them as perfectly as the author. ...more
Jessica
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to HQ Books for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review!

Have you ever been curious about the new neighbors that moved in? I know we all have had those nosy moments of looking out the windows to get a glimpse before finally meeting them. Well, THE PEOPLE AT NUMBER 9 is about just that. When Lou and Gavin move in next door, Sara is intrigued by how different they are an how they live that she reaches the point of obsession. Marketed as a thriller, I’d say it’s more of a domestic
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
A novel about neighbors that turn into closest friends, that turn into more than they bargained for.

Unfortunately this book just didn't work for me. I'm not sure if it's how I interpreted the synopsis or what it was exactly that just made my eyes glaze over a bit. "But those changes will come at a price..." and "shattering consequences" made me feel there was going to be some big revelation or something "dark and delicious"... and that just never happened.

Did not find this dark at all.
Carolyn James
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skip-reading
@#%@^%#$##@# are you kidding me!?!? This book is absolutely awful. This has cured my indulgence in Shopper's Drug Mart paperbacks that I've never heard of for good. This book is described as a thriller when not. one. single. thrilling. thing. happened!!! Long (and I mean painfully long) story short, this is the story of a basic middle age couple who have a couple move in next door who are super quirky and artistic. This makes basic couple feel young and cool to be their friends and they ...more
Rhyll Dorrington
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great pacy read - beautifully written, funny and moving. The People at Number 9

I romped through this and then felt sad when it ended. It's beautifully written, funny and moving. A wonderfully honest and insightful exploration of friendship and aspiration, which also explores the mystique of 'creative' people and the price of their creativity.

Recommended.
Lucy Niven
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed No. 9. Lou reminded me of a person in my life. The more I read the more I drew comparisons and this kept me hooked. I did not want it to end and felt it ended quite quickly, I would have loved more detail. Nevertheless I will definitely give it 5 stars as I could not put it down and found the characters intriguing.

Thank you to Netgalley for having an early read of this book.
Michelle
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Loved it. A little gem of a book
Hayley Logue
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this read. And the twist in the tale had me godsmacked. Didn't see that coming! Well written, easy read....waiting for the next release from this author.
Deb
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think that I am being generous with a 2 Star. This book went NOWHERE! Boring characters, boring story. It drug on and on and on......
Mandy Gordon
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Never has a book dragged so much. I thought I’d never get to the end. I kept reading in the hope that something would happen but instead it was 332 pages of nothing. Absolutely nothing.
I get what the theme was but it could have been made more interesting. The couple of hours that I spent reading it are a couple of hours I can’t get back!
Annabel Kantaria
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. We've had friends just like Gav and Lou, and I loved watching Sara's realisation dawn... a very well observed and entertaining story that rings true at every turn.
Lavender
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The blurb suggests something else, something…more. I read a similar book a couple of month ago, “Swimming Pool” which took a much darker road. This is a book about a middleclass couple which gets tangled in the glamourous and chaotic bohemian lifestyle of their new neighbors. This story is more character driven. There are no twists and turns, just domestic drama.

The book is about an unlikely friendship between two couples. Sara is charmed by Lou and even more by her flirtatious husband Gavin.
Kirsty
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: april-2018
I love domestic novels, and was intrigued by Felicity Everett's The People at Number 9. I was expecting a thriller, but that is not quite what this novel is. It was well paced, but events did not pan out as I thought they would in terms of the denouement. I felt as though there were missed opportunities here, in which Everett could have really grabbed her audience, or created tension. I did not feel as though the characters were entirely believable; a lot of their traits were glossed over when ...more
Barb Kelownagurl
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo
3 1/2 - 4 stars. Easy read. This is the first time I've ever read a book and truly disliked every single character.
Angelique Simonsen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
not for me. I didn't like the feeling this book gave me ...more
Natasha Ellis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite type of book theme, suburban families and what goes on within them. Really enjoyed it apart from the abrupt end which left me feeling 'oh is that it'
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t put this down, an easy read and if you live where I do you will recognise many of the characters lol
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Holiday
  • The Party
  • In Bloom (Sweetpea, #2)
  • Cuckoo
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
  • The Promise (DS Imogen Grey #4)
  • Apple of My Eye
  • Obsession
  • Copycat
  • Our House
  • The House Swap
“The thing is, Sara, writing's scary. You have to be prepared to go deep......And when your brain's shouting, 'No, no, no, I'm not going to think that thought; it's too dirty, it's too scary, it's too painful,' that's when you must make yourself think it and make yourself write it.” 3 likes
“You must push through the negativity and self-criticism that dam up your creativity and just let it flow. Be your authentic self. Write or sing or dance or paint with your whole being, without guardedness or cynicism and without trying to second-guess an audience.” 1 likes