Start by marking “Everything but the Truth” as Want to Read:
Everything but the Truth

Everything but the Truth

Just how much can you trust the person you love?

Everything but the Truth is Gillian McAllister's stunning breakthrough thriller about deceit, betrayal and one woman's compulsive need to uncover the truth

It all started with the email.

Rachel didn't even mean to look. She loves Jack and she's pregnant with their child. She trusts him.

But now she's seen it, she can't undo that
Published March 9th 2017 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Everything but the Truth, please sign up.
Delaine Thank You Gillian
D :)(less)

Start your review of Everything but the Truth
Miriam Smith
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book "Everything But The Truth" for a couple of reasons - I'd heard so many good things about it on social media and the fact that I live in NE England and love the Highlands of Scotland - both places where the story is set.
There were times I felt like I was actually standing in Oban's harbour smelling the fish and chips and then standing in Newcastle's city centre looking at the Monument, so well had the author captured and portrayed these places I know so well. I love when you c
Maureen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
** 4.5 Big Fat Stars**

Thank you to Netgalley & Penguin UK Michael Joseph for my ARC in exchange for an honest unbiased review*

Rachel is pregnant with Jack's child, and she really loves him deeply, but an email on his ipad is about to take her on a journey - and it's a journey fraught with lies and fear that will pose the question, just how much can you trust ANYONE?

Jack has, without doubt, a very dark secret, one which, regardless of the fact that Rachel's having his baby, she may not be able to
Paromjit
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent atmospheric psychological thriller that is essentially a character driven suspense novel with a strong sense of location in Oban and Newcastle. Rachel works in a law office and Jack is a freelance journalist. They met, fell in love super fast, and Rachel is now expecting a baby. She is convinced Jack is the one, until one night Rachel cannot stem her curiosity and looks at an incoming email on Jack's Ipad, this brings to the surface doubts as to whether she really knows Jack ...more
Margitte
In the Highlands of Scotland two people fell in love like two peas in a pod. Only to discover that they're going to have a baby and don't really know anything about each other, apart from knowing that they were meant to grow old together.

In the picturesque little village, Oban, an old mansions and its inhabitants had a secret to protect, and in the city of Newcastle the young woman had her reasons for leaving her dream world of being a dedicated doctor. Relationships within Rachel's own family
Lucie
I'm at the point now where I'll read anything by Gillian McAllister. She's that good.

Something about the way she writes, the way she explains things. Something about the details, just enough, nothing wasted. Her writing is also so... human. No character is 100% good or 100% bad.

Rachel hasn't known Jack that long. Their relationship has been sped up by a surprise pregnancy, but they are very much in love and are making a go of it.

One night, an email pops up on Jack's mobile device which is lying
Rebecca Carter
Everything but the Truth is a bit like a visit to a theme park. Lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, confusion where you think you are on level ground and have it sussed, only to have something come out of nowhere and for you to realise you've been blindsided.

Rachel lives in Newcastle and used to be a medical doctor. She now works in an office for a medical litigator. She's going out with Jack and expecting his baby. The only issue is she doesn't really know Jack all that well. She became p
ReadAlongWithSue
A very suspenseful read.
A very enjoyable read.

A whirlwind romance.
Get pregnant, settle down.

But what and how much do you know about each other?

A message on his iPad turns everything upside down.

But is he the only one hiding secrets?

This kept me on my toes so much.
So many questions I wanted answered right away so read, read, read. I couldn’t leave it alone.

I’m off to read book 2
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This is an exceptional book.If I could write one day with the same depth and finesse as Gillian I'd be deliriously happy. She is one very talented writer. This book sucked me in, held me close, tossed me around and helped me escape the world as I got lost in it.

Lies. Secrets. Untruths. Trust issues...

Not a good thing in any relationship, never mind a very new one. But this is exactly what faces our starring couple - Jack and Rachel. Nothing is clear. In fact things are muddied. This is a plot th
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts

Everything but the Truth is a debut thriller with oodles of mystery and a story arc laced with deceit, secrets and lies. The female protagonist is on a quest to uncover the truth about her boyfriend after stumbling across an email she was never meant to see. Trust should be at the heart of any relationship, but for Rachel trust is not an easy thing to accomplish and as the story unfolds the reader gains full understanding as to why pivotal moments in her life may cloud her judgement.

The narrati
Zoe Mann
'Everything but the truth' by Gillian McAllister is a thriller focussing on how well you really know your significant other. It shows what lengths you can go to in this day and age to hide, change and/or fake your identity.

Rachel and Jack are so in love and expecting their first child together. Rachel didn't know this kind of love was ever achievable. Her and Jack's love is the passion and commitment you read in fairytales. This all changes when he receives and email on the iPad in the middle o
Malia
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was not to much a thriller as a meditation on consequences. Not that much even happens, but I was never bored. The characters were multi-dimensional and intriguing and I look forward to McAllister's next book!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Joanne Robertson
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just….Wow! Shall I just leave it there? A book reviewed in just one word?! If I could I would but I need to tell you all why I have been blown away by this beautifully written debut by Gillian McAllister. She has written an intriguing and intelligent psychological suspense that has been perfectly plotted to make yourself ask “what would I have done?”

Have you ever picked up a book and had that weird feeling that it was written especially for you? That the author has somehow been stalking you
Nicki
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rachel and Jack have recently discovered that they are going to have a baby,they have only been together for a few months and don't really know a lot about each other but Rachel is sure that Jack is The One and they love each other so everything is going to be ok.Then one night her happy world is blown apart when she catches a glimpse of a email on Jacks IPad and discovers that Jack has been keeping secrets from her.When Jack refuses to open up to her she begins a obsessive quest to find out wha ...more
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Everything but the Truth is a story full of suspense and intrigue.

Rachel’s mind goes into over drive after seeing an email come through late at night on Jack’s ipad. I have to say it’s quite obvious that Rachel has some trust issues, from that point on she makes it her mission to find out exactly what Jack is hiding.

Throughout the story I kept wondering whether sometimes it’s better to not know the truth, though like Rachel, I was desperate to know. The further into the story it’s obvious that R
Karen Whittard
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Must Buy, Must Read for any suspense thriller readers. This really is a stunning debut. It hooks you in from the very first page. Slowly spoon feeding you little nuggets of information and takes you on a twisty turnie rollercoaster ride where is deposits you at the end where you are left staring at the book for a few minutes going wow. I might be in a little bit of a reading slump after this book. The other thrillers that I read this year really have allot to live up to.

Rachel is a doctor who
Liz Barnsley
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**
Everything But the Truth is a bang on target domestic noir, a page turner of the highest order and, thank the book Gods, manages to avoid all the dull as ditch water standard cliches of the genre whilst playing brilliantly into all the reasons why we readers love this stuff.

Jack and Rachel have not been together that long, but for Rachel it has been one of those “this is right” life moments – so an early in the relationship pregnancy does not seem as daunting as it might have done.
Laura Rash
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love how this was written alternating time periods. It builds up slowly, adding different facets until you keep changing your mind how you feel about the story. Which literally left me undecided until the last few pages were read. Really enjoyed this one! Definitely worth buying from across the pond!
Maggie
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Jack & Rachel it was almost love at first sight. They seemed to suit each other so well & when Rachel found out she was pregnant they were both delighted & took it as a sign that they were meant as a couple & as a family.

But all is not quite as it seems.We know early on that Rachel was a doctor but something happened to end her career. And why does Jack always pull funny faces in every picture?

When Rachel sees an email sent to Jack she begins to sense some dark secret in his past. Once the w
BookwormDH
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BLURB

It all started with the email.

But now she's seen it, she can't undo that moment. Or the chain of events it has set in motion.

Why has Jack been lying about his past? Just what exactly is he hiding? And doesn't Rachel have a right to know the truth at any cost?

MY THOUGHTS

I was completely absorbed by this book. It's quite a steady story, but it really gets under your skin. An outstanding debut b
Rachel Hall
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything But The Truth is a debut psychological thriller release that manages to prove there is still life in the “how much can I trust my partner” question that has spawned a legion of crime fiction novels. Whilst many psychological suspense novels focus on unleashing an onslaught of twists with multiple revelations, Gillian McAllister’s well-crafted novel approaches the genre from a more subdued angle and the rather mundane scenario of simply catching a brief glimpse of a partner’s email and ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
Everything But The Truth is a psychological thriller but not of the ilk that you might be expecting from the genre. This superb read is a quieter more thoughtful book with moral dilemmas at its heart rather than the fast paced action packed books that is now the norm for books marketed under this heading. That doesn’t mean this book isn’t gripping, far from it!

Rachel is pregnant, one that wasn’t planned, well there was hardly enough time for that in her new relationship with Jack, but the pregna
Kirsty ❤️
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not feeling the love for this that other reviewers seem to be. I just failed to be gripped by any of it. It's billed as a psychological thriller with the story building to the ultimate crescendo. Except really it's about one woman's nosiness and tendency to over-react descending into paranoia accusing her partner of lying despite the fact that she herself constantly withheld information and lied to him. It's just full of double standards.

Don't get me wrong. What Jack did was a bad thing - at
Fiona Wilson
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, netgalley
I wish I had loved this story, I really do, but unfortunately it was all to similar to other books I've read recently but not quite so well done.

The story was a little slow for me, and if I'm being honest, it didn't quite deliver what was promised. The whole 'mystery' was more a woman's paranoia than anything else. As for the ending, I was so disappointed with it. I expected so much more.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing a copy.
Tracy Fenton
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything but the Truth is a fabulous psychological thriller that I devoured over the weekend. The main character Rachel has had some life-changing events happen which have caused her to re-evaluate her life and after splitting with her long term boyfriend she meets Jack and quickly becomes pregnant with his child. One night she sees a private email to Jack and thus begins her downward spiral into doubt and suspicion, and becomes determined to uncover everything about him whatever the cost. The ...more
Louise Wilson
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rachel loves Jack. She is pregnant with his child. She trusts him. But then Rachel sees an email. She did not mean to look. But it's started off a chain of events she can't forget. Why is Jack lying about his past?

The story flips back and forward from the previous year to the present. We also find out about Rachel's past, before she met Jack. The characters are realistic and the storyline gripping. A well written, thought out plot.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Penguin UK - Michael Joseph and
Thomas Strömquist
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a lot, even if the first thirds extremely captivating atmosphere did let up and that the story took off in a different direction than I expected. The likewise unexpected ending I kind of liked though - it worked well with the established protagonist and their quite complex personas. What did not work for me was that the main character was supposed to be a (quite experienced) MD. I found the character not convincing - rather in the same way as Denise Richards wasn’t as D ...more
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviews and more on www.snazzybooks.com

I really enjoyed this great psychological thriller. It’s a pacey, fun read which kept me completely absorbed.

The characters are great; I really liked Rachel and felt for her, even though she made some questionable decisions at times. Gillian McAllister has a great way of presenting the characters because she makes you think about the human side to their decisions – I can’t say much without giving too much away but she manages to make you think about whethe
Bookread2day
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must buy - must read. I'm really pleased that I've just found a new author to follow Gillian McAllister. I can't believe this is Gillian's first novel. Everything but the Truth is one of the best tense stories that I have read. About the novel Rachel has trouble with trusting any of her boyfriends. She's just had one relationship that finished due to her being so paranoid and not trusting Ben. When Rachel starts a new relationship with Jack she loves everything about him, but then she gets pre ...more
Rachael
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
How much can you trust someone you love, your parents, your siblings? How much can you trust yourself?

I have to admit that the rawness of this novel and it's and relevance to modern life really struck a chord in me. My heart felt heavy and was beating faster at certain points, a rare occurrence for me these days.

I share a name, a complicated version of grief and a proclivity towards paranoia with the narrator, so the book really affected me at times. There is a line about 'your perfect thing fo
Janel
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How long does it take to get to know someone? This book was nothing like I expected, it wasn’t an in-your-face thriller, but rather a slow and steady tale of trust, secrets and forgiveness. There was a silent tension throughout the entire read, it was under the surface, you knew it was there as it’s what kept you turning pages, that tension that only dishonesty and a quest for truth can bring.

Through McAllister’s beautiful writing style, Rachel and Jack’s relationship was laid bare for us. It wa

• The Girl Next Door
  • I Looked Away
  • The Holiday
  • Do Not Disturb
  • Sleep
  • The Rumour
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • You Let Me In
  • His & Hers
  • Truth or Die (D.S. Imogen Grey, #5)
  • Then She Vanishes
  • My Husband the Stranger
  • Gone
  • Your Closest Friend
  • Everything Is Lies
  • Clear My Name
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • The Dilemma