Start by marking “Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance” as Want to Read:
Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance

Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
If you want to write romance and be a professional writer then this book is a must for you. Following on from the success of the first edition of this book, which won a major award, this guide explains what is meant by romance and takes you through the process of writing emotion and conflict. The author explains how dialogue should be natural between your heroine and her h ...more
Published July 30th 2008 by Studymates Limited

To ask other readers questions about Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance

Nikki Magennis
From the reviews, you'd think this book was gospel. I found it a fairly solid, lightweight introduction to writing romance. It all makes sense, but I felt it skimmed the surface. I was hoping for a more indepth and rigorous analysis of the genre, as well as some meatier advice. There were some good pointers, and pretty straightforward, step by step instructions on how a typical romance works.
Lastly, the copyediting was poor - the book was strewn with typos.
Overall, a fair introduction but not
jo_t
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible of writing romance.

Being an aspiring writer, in the last three years I've read all kinds of "how to" manuals and seen lots of advice about writing in my chosen genre, romance. I collect those tips, and pay attention to every word shared by published successful writers. Having all the essential information together in a single book is a wonderful tool for me. Especially when this book is more than theory, it's a workbook as well.

Kate Walker's 12-point Guide to Writing Romance is perfect
Michelle Fayard
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you don’t write romances, consider, for a moment, this fact: Fifty-five percent of all books sold are from the romance genre. And it’s estimated that someone buys a romance book at the rate of at least six titles every minute of every day—and that’s just for the Harlequin lines.

So what can authors of other genres learn from this? Can we take elements of what makes for a good romance book and apply them to our own writing?

After reading veteran romance author Kate Walker’s book 12-POINT GU
Teresa
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write romance, especially for Mills and Boon Harlequin
This will live on my bookshelf. There are exercises that I really would like to attempt and is definitely good to have as a reference.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to write for Mills and Boon Harlequin because it really is aimed at them. It gives a lot of detail about the specific lines and what they require. I'm not really sure if I'm Mills and Boon material (or voice), however, I still found it useful for writing romance in general. Definitely worth a read.

At the back, the
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have been a fan of Kate Walker for years and have read most of her books. She’s been writing romance novels for Harlequin and Mills and Boons for years and she has a lot of information and tips for writers and wanna be writers…like me…..

This book was recommended when I did a writers course - for mills and boon writers…yes I kid you not!!!!

This book is informative, very well written and easy to read.
The information is broken into chapters - each dealing with a different subject and at the end
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully written book. I've been writing for some time but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized why my writing wasn't working. This is a MUST read for anyone who wants to write fiction. Easy to read, to understand, and right to the point.

Read it...you won't be disappointed...in fact you'll wish you'd read it sooner.

I was told she's coming out with an updated edition, so watch for that.
Sarai
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: howto-research, own
I enjoyed this book. Quick and simple breaks down the guide to writing a romance and what works and what doesn't based off of history.
She takes quotes from different books and shows the reader why it worked or didn't and she explains the whole synopsis and query aspect.
Although best advice I ever rec'd regarding queries was at Pub Rants. That's here nor there. Anway I would recommend it!
Kiru Taye
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really helpful guide if you are just starting out or as a reference guide.
Ericka Scott
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great advice and clear, concise verbiage.
LKM
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
3.5
Michelle
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read. Very informative, especially with the exercises. Find myself referring back to it when I have certain questions with my writing. Useful guide I would thoroughly recommend.
Sara Mcgoodwin
Nov 26, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great! Very helpful - well written!
Alice Anderson
Mar 29, 2009
Cesca Major
Apr 07, 2015
Corinne
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2012
Denise Covey
Dec 19, 2011
Nas Dean
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All you need to know about writing category romance.
Kat Faitour
Aug 19, 2012
Janice Preston
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born in Nottinghamshire, England, but I didn't live there for very long. The family moved to West Yorkshire when I was just eighteen months old and so I have always regarded Yorkshire as my home. I grew up there as the middle child in a family of five—all girls—in a home where books were vitally important and I read anything I could get my hands on.

Even before I could write I was making up s
More about Kate Walker...