Start by marking “Can I Smoke Pot?: Marijuana in Light of Scripture” as Want to Read:
Can I Smoke Pot?: Marijuana in Light of Scripture

Can I Smoke Pot?: Marijuana in Light of Scripture

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"God made pot. It's natural, legal in more places, and Christians can drink alcohol, right? So, what's the issue?"

Is it a sin to smoke marijuana? Is it permissible to use recreationally? How about medicinally? Questions like these are a hot topic today, and chances are that you or someone you know is asking them. Christians believe the Bible is our highest authority for
Published October 1st 2016 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Can I Smoke Pot?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can I Smoke Pot?

Lynette Karg
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because we recently started ministering in a church in Colorado so this is an issue we are sure to run into, especially among younger Christians. At the outset, I wondered where this was going, but the author did a thorough job of examining this topic in light of Scripture. The best part is that it is short and accessible enough to hand to someone who is wrestling through this. The appendix is worth a read too and examines how to use Scripture to think about issues not specifically a ...more
Todd Miles
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a brief introduction to some of the issues. Much more could have been said, but was not. To wit: More could have been said of the actual studies on marijuana use and the certain dangers for young people, particularly males; there is no medical use for marijuana per se, but there are medical uses for components of the marijuana plant; there was not enough discussion of the role that Christian discipleship should play in decision making; more needed to be said about the role of govern ...more
Kojo
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair and balanced

I like the over all tone of the book, it handled this controversial issue gently. It was a great idea to separate marijuana use into medical and recreational categories. From my experience that is where the debate is usual lost; everyone knows someone who has been helped by medical marijuana so proponents of marijuana bring that up often. The Christian, however, must point out that it's the recreational use that is sin.

Jonathan Roberts
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2016
In light of the election earlier this month (Nov. 2016) this question is one that is either on the horizon for all Christians or is already here. What is a Christian to do? Seems pretty obvious right? Don't smoke. But what is the rational for this? Do we base it on what the government says? Whether pot has medical value? What are we to do with this? What am I to say when one of my students admits to smoking pot? Is it really that bad? Is it really bad?

Well the answer to these questions comes th
Marguerite Harrell
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the first place, I wouldn't have bought this book, but I am a subscriber to Cruciform Press books. I get them in e-book format. Yes, this is a very interesting book to read! No, I don't smoke pot at all! In light of the election, Gary Johnson and other states who made it legal to have Marijuana I wanted to understand why people want to make this legal and what are the danger of this too. I would encourage you all to read it before you start thinking about smoking pot. They really explain ever ...more
Andy Huette
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a helpful little book from Cruciform Press that gives a concise, readable, Christian take on pot. I agreed with their views and think they are charitable to biblical theology and honest with Scripture (and its silence), but also forthright about their final conclusion, which is that Christians should not smoke pot recreationally, but that it is permissible medicinally.
Matthew
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I live in Colorado where marijuana is legal on the state level. now some are looking to compare the recreational use of alcohol with the recreational use of marijuana. is there a parallel? This book help straighten up this argument Kama looking to the scriptures for answers. Very helpful.
Chrys Jones
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, biblical primer on the issue of marijuana and Christianity. This is a great book for counseling those Christians who are seeking or struggling with marijuana use. This book takes a decisive stance, but not without much biblical and practical consideration.
Elliot
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This short book is a useful examination of a question many Christians may be asking in light of the relaxing social mores regarding marijuana in the United States. But it is more than that: It is a model for how to apply the Bible to an issue about which the Bible does not speak directly.
Matthew
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking!

I live in Colorado where Marijuana is legal on a state level. Now, many began equating Marijuana to alcohol in regards to recreational use and it's permissiveness from Scripture. This tiny book helps clear up any misperceptions or parallels.
Tiffany
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a none smoker, none drinker, this book has helpful information on answering these questions from a biblical standpoint for those that come to you with questions! I liked the to the point answers, and verses to back up each claim.
Kevin Thompson
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall very informative and helpful. However, their final conclusion seems to be weak based on their argumentation. The appendix on how to study Scripture is absolutely excellent.
Nick Jones
Apr 04, 2017
John Benzing
May 18, 2017
1 follower
Tom Breeden received an M.Div. from Reformed Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C. and is currently licensed by the Blue Ridge Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). He currently serves as the Pastoral Intern at Grace Community Church in Charlottesville, VA.
More about Tom Breeden