Start by marking “Fairy School Dropout” as Want to Read:
Fairy School Dropout

Fairy School Dropout (Fairy School #1)

Step away from the wand...

We aren't usually big fairy fans, but for Elly Knottleweed-Eversprightly, we've made an exception. You see, Elly, although she is a fairy, isn't a big fan of fairies either.

In fact, she hates being a fairy.

She hates her itchy tutu school uniform and she hates flying the fairy flock to school every morning, she would much rather take her cool skat
Published March 31st 2009 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2006)

Shannon McGee
May 30, 2014 Shannon McGee rated it really liked it
Shelves: faeries, 2015
Elly, a young fairy who dislikes being a fairy. She feels out of place because she does not want to be the glitterized, girly fairy that they teach girl fairies to be. She inadvertently gets caught by a human, which is a big no no in the fairy world. A mistake that will change her outlook on life.

This series starts out pretty similar to most juvenile fairy stories. The difference in this one is that the main character, Elly, dislikes being a fairy. Most juvenile fairy stories the fairy loves b
Ali
May 13, 2009 Ali rated it really liked it
A very cute book but simplistic and almost babyish at times, not the story but the reading level and sentence structure. My 7-year-old was never bored but she did remark that it was for "really little kids." She did love the cover and the way the smaller book fit into her hands. I thought it was cute but agree that it was a rather young book and would be a great story for four and five-year-olds.
Caitlin W.
This book is a fun look into the world of fairies, and incorporates relate-able themes such as academic troubles and not fitting in. Ella is a fairy who can't seem to get things right-- her wand is broken and never fully charged, and she has an unfortunate habit of turning her teachers purple. All of her trouble-making is accidental, but she's been kicked out of two fairy schools and is not doing too well at her third. She doesn't like wearing fairy tutus, and isn't great at fairy magic, though ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Elly is a fairy who's been kicked out of two fairy academies and is close to being kicked out of her third.

She longs to go to a human school, but only really good fairies get to go to those. When the Head Fairy of her school threatens to expel her if she doesn't shape up in a week, Elly is faced with a choice: be a fairy and wear the itchy uniform, or disguise herself as a human.

When she meets a girl named Jess who has a knack for inventions but needs help
Sara
Aug 05, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy School Dropout by Meredith Badger stars Elly who comes from a famous fairy family but doesn't like being a fairy, in fact she hates it. She doesn't like the tutu because it's itchy and doesn't like to fly because it's tiring. The book follows her through school and her adventures with a human friend.

My daughter loved this book. She wanted to read it all the time and loved how the story was written. She loved the characters and thought they were very entertaining. She liked the magical worl
Tami
May 09, 2009 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elly Knottleweed-Eversprightly is a fairy. You don’t believe in fairies? Of course, fairies exist. You might even live next door to a fairy family and not know it. In fact, with a little magic and their wings hidden away, fairies look pretty similar to humans.

Elly was unlike most fairies. She didn’t really want to be a fairy. She wasn’t very good with a wand. That didn’t bother her as she didn’t really want to give wishes to humans anyway.

Elly was trying her best to get kicked out of her third
Alexandra Ratliff
Dec 01, 2014 Alexandra Ratliff rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is really interesting and that if you have a little sister or a little brother that doesn't like school, you should read it to them so they know what it's like for someone else to not like their school. If they hear what it's like for someone to not like school, then what then they do. I think your little brother or sister would like school.
Feb 14, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little book, and a fun, original take on fairies. Cute illustrations liven up the text, which is clear and easy to read. (The author could improve her prose, however, by taking to heart Twain’s dictum on the word “very”.) Still, any girl with a yen for fairies should, as I did, gobble up this book.
Amy Holiday
Great concept and a cute story. Loved the technologically advanced fairy world, like Artemis Fowl but for younger kids. Elly tries hard even though she's not interested and feels a little insecure because she's not that good at being a fairy. I think a lot of kids would identify with Elly's situation, and I liked Jess's spunk.

Good book for younger MG readers, second-third grade.
Jacqui Ainsworth
I read this book on the high recommendation of my 8yo who rarely finishes books and even more rarely raves about them. She loved it and I "just HAD to read it!" It was an enjoyable very light read for a grown-up but to see my non-reader daughter devour this book was wonderful!
Vivian
I read this one with my granddaughter for a school book report project. Geared towards a mid 4th grade reading level, my 3rd grader breezed through it quickly. She thought that it was a fun read and really enjoyed it.
Talia
Jun 14, 2012 Talia rated it it was amazing
This book is about Ellie who is a human/Undercover fairy
Mrs. Carey
This was a cute book that provides another point of view about fairies. Fairies are not always tiny pretty things. The ending leaves in open for further adventures and mishaps at the human school.
Makayla
Feb 02, 2011 Makayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its funny i just keep on reading it over and over.
Carrie Underwood
Mar 06, 2012 Carrie Underwood rated it it was ok
this book was so stupid it made me laugh
Jennette
Jul 04, 2016 Jennette rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one alot any little girl will love this!!!
Meredith
Jul 09, 2010 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute and such a fast read. I can't wait to read the next one.
Andrea Dorothy
Written in a tedious passive tense.
Takes ages for the author to say one thing.
Dull dull dull dull.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Kayla really knew magic. F B
Tiff
Dec 24, 2015 Tiff rated it really liked it
Great for struggling readers! Whimsical, full of surprises, story about a not so typical fairy named Elly.
Tara
Dec 08, 2010 Tara rated it liked it
I read this as an ongoing aunt / niece book discussion "group" with my seven year old niece (her pick). Cute, and very imaginative. Young girls will really enjoy this series.
Stephanie
May 29, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-with-alex
Funny!
Inidya M.
Oct 28, 2013 Inidya M. added it
Shelves: fantasy
this is a book for people who like fairies
Amber Giffen
Mar 17, 2015 Amber Giffen rated it really liked it
Very cute!
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2012
Martian-Ghost-Turtle
Martian-Ghost-Turtle rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2017
Sol
Sol rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
Islam M Ashour
Islam M Ashour rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2016
Makayla Schaffer
Makayla Schaffer rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • The Dancing Pancake
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • Life, Starring Me! (Candy Apple #18)
  • Surf's Up!
  • The New Girl
  • Sister Spirit
  • Empire State of Slime (The Zombie Chasers #4)
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell
  • Just Grace, Star on Stage (Just Grace, #9)
  • Unhappy Medium (Suddenly Supernatural, #3)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • No Cream Puffs
  • Katie's New Recipe (Cupcake Diaries, #13)
Meredith Badger is the author of Fairy School Dropout, Fairy School Dropout Undercover, and the first book of a new series, Tweenie Genie: Genie in Training. Originally from Australia, Meredith now lives in Germany with her family. She is also a writer for the Go Girl! series.
More about Meredith Badger...

Fairy School (3 books)