Start by marking “Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)

Perfect Remains

(D.I. Callanach #1)

The first in a nail-shredding new crime series. Fans of M.J. Arlidge will be gripped from start to finish.

On a remote Highland mountain, the body of Elaine Buxton is burning. All that will be left to identify the respected lawyer are her teeth and a fragment of clothing.

In the concealed back room of a house in Edinburgh, the real Elaine Buxton screams into the darkness.

Published January 26th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Remains, please sign up.
Lynda Kelly No sexual content and some swearing. However, it is quite violent in places so I'd avoid if you're squeamish.
Rebecca Yes it does, although it isn’t the main viewpoint in the book.

Start your review of Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)
Matt
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Helen Fields introduces readers to a stunning new series that will chill them to the bone while trying to balance the unique style of Detective Inspector Luc Callanach. In a shake-up of Ediburgh’s Homicide Team, D.I. Luc Callanach arrives on the scene, to the dismay of many. This outsider is a recent transfer from INTERPOL and has an odd background: a Scottish father and French mother. Callanach has spent much of his life in France, where his cultural and linguistic influences are strong. ...more
Sandy

Some books leave you feeling warm & fuzzy, some leave you sad or thoughtful. This book left me with palpitations & an irrational fear of dentures.

Elaine Buxton is having a really bad day. You’d think being abducted by a mad man would be your worst nightmare come true. Wrong. Unfortunately he has a few…um…procedures planned as part of his scheme to convince everyone she is dead.

Luc Callanach is having a marginally better day. He recently left a job with Interpol under a cloud
Andrea
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Really enjoyed this book,love a good crime book.great read can't wait till next book.great characters loved Ava.and it's great set in Scotland where I'm from.
NZLisaM
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
Very average!

2.5 rounded up!

Another one I'm going to be the outlier on, because to be honest there was nothing about this to make it stand out from the rest. Yes, the main crime was intense and thrilling, in fact the chapters inside the killers head, although gruesome and shocking, were the best part.

Edinburgh Police are called to a hut fire in The Cairngorms – a mountain range in the Highlands. A charred, beyond-recognition body – suspected to be that of missing lawyer Elaine Buxton – has been
Lucy Langford
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing ! It was not one straight forward crime but a mix of different cases happening in time with the "main crime" without it being confusing for the reader.
This book also has some subtle twists which are great!

Finished the book in two days- it was easy to follow and easy to devour.

The character portrayals are fantastic both as singular characters and their relationships with each other. This book was good as some chapters were told in the point of view of the killer- not just
Liz Barnsley
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect Remains is basically a totally addictive utterly gripping one sitting read. It is brutal though, be warned, some of the descriptions made me peek out suspiciously from behind a cushion, a bit like when I pretend I'm brave enough to fully embrace those horror movies...

One thing I really liked about this one is that its not a traditional whodunnit or even really whydunnit its more about the psychology of the crime, in its investigative elements that trend continues, those out to solve the
Gary
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book in the DI Callanach series by author Helen Fields although I have previously read two subsequent books, which I also enjoyed.
Detective Inspector Luc Callanach is transferred into Edinburgh’s Homicide Team from Interpol which ruffles the feathers of many of his future colleagues. Born to a Scottish father and French mother, Callanach spent most of his life in France but now back in Scotland he is keen to make a good impression. The novel begins when Elaine Buxton is found
Linda Strong
This debut novel features DI Luc Callanach and his team. He's new to the area and new to the job. Being half French, half Scottish does not endear him to everyone on his team. He is eager to prove himself to his new team.

He has barely found his new office when a missing person's case becomes a homicide. Elaine Buxton is found burned to a crisp. The only thing remaining that can identify her is a tooth and a shred of material not too far from her body.

It’s not long before another successful woman
Siobhan
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good crime thriller, and I especially love the current trend where most British crime thrillers are set in Scotland. Obviously, I have a soft spot for my local area – I’m looking at you Stuart MacBride and your Logan McRae series – but I’ll grab any that seem interesting.

The synopsis of Perfect Remains was moderately interesting to me. I was on the edge about whether or not I wanted to pick up the book. It was one I would be looking out for, but I wouldn’t be going out of my way to
Helga
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime, series
4.5
A real page-turner and first in a new series, Perfect Remains is a gripping crime/thriller set in Scotland (<3). It is fast-paced, gruesome and tense, with well-developed characters, sans unnecessary details. Usually i hate when the identity of the culprit is revealed in the beginning, but with this one i was hooked till the last page.
Can't wait to read the second installment!
Sara
I’m very hit and miss when it comes to crime novels, but this had some good Goodreads reviews so I thought I’d give it a go. It follows the typical pattern of killer on the loose being tracked by troubled detectives as they rush to uncover the clever mastermind before he can kill again. I suppose the main ‘twist’, or difference, is that the killer hasn’t actually killed the woman he’s supposedly taken (not a spoiler - you find this out in the first chapter). He’s just set it up in the belief he’ ...more
Karen Whittard
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping physiological crime thriller. A must read if you like your crime thrillers, dark, deadly, creepy and gripping.

This is the first book in the series and what a start to what is sure to be a promising series. Elen Fields writhing style is dark, twisted and utterly compelling. I couldn't put their book down this morning and devoured it very, very quickly.

In a rocket mountain in Scotland a body is being burned. There will not be much remains but the world will think that Elaine
Kelly Lacey
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start with this masterpiece? I started this book for my facebook group monthly pick (more about that later). Now crime and thriller books are not my normal genre. However, with this new blogging path I am on I decided to venture outside my comfort zone. By gosh am I glad that I did. My toes were actually curling as read the first few chapters. I don't do spoilers so don't worry you can read on. The book is set in Edinburgh which is my home City. It was appealing to me to be able to ...more
Britta
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, I really enjoyed it. Hope the next book in the series is as good as the first one. I will definitely read it.
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fab crime read with lots of pace and gory scenes. A convincing charismatic relationship between the police protagonists made sure to balance out the grim scenes very nicely, ensuring, 'Perfect Remains,' is an addictive and engaging read. Readers are privy to the identity of the murderer and his horrendous crimes all the way through making this more of a how-will-he-get-caught rather than a who-done-it.
Fictionophile
For this and hundreds of other reviews visit: https://fictionophile.wordpress.com/

A body has been burnt beyond recognition in a stone bothy in a remote area in the Cairngorm Mountains. Though the body is burned, the police do find a tooth and a remnant of a scarf. With these small clues, DNA proves that the body was that of Elaine Buxton, a lawyer who had been reported missing a few weeks back.

Detective Inspector Luc Callanach has just come to Edinburgh from Lyon, France. It is only his second
Eva
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take one DI, who left his job at Interpol in France under a cloud. Place him in rainy Edinburgh. Then add one of the most disturbed killers you've ever encountered and you get a chilling, gripping, sometimes gruesome but totally addictive page-turner!

It's the stuff of nightmares and possibly not for the faint hearted but so brilliant.

I can't wait for the next installment in this series, which is due out in June 2017.
Skyler Autumn
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

Perfect Remains, is going to be my new binge it all detective series. It is filling the gaping hole M.J Arlidge's Helen Grace series has left in my heart.

Review to Come.
Pat
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. With great characters, a cracking plot and great writing - what is not to like? DI Luc Callanch is a half French, half Scottish police officer who left Interpol in France under a cloud to return to Scotland. He has a bit of trouble fitting in and is a bit gruff but his heart is in the right place. He works closely with DI Ava Turner who is refreshingly professional and down to earth. Over the course of investigating the brutal murders of a couple of ...more
KC
After relocating from France to Scotland, DI Luc Callanach finds himself thrust into a high profile abduction case. When one victim turns into two, Callanach and his team soon unearth two bodies who appear to be the seized women. In this fast paced police drama, readers will be racing to the end to unveil its electrifying conclusion. This outstanding series is definitely for those who enjoy M. J. Arlidge, Karin Slaughter and Robert Bryndza.
Christine
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2017
Perfect Remains is truly outstanding crime, with the most deliciously evil villain and a strong psychological flavour. I just loved it. If anyone mentions this book to you and tells you to read it, listen to them. Devour it. Don’t have nightmares.

Perfect Remains is the first book in the series by Helen Fields. The follow up being Perfect Prey, which is out in July 2017. It introduces two Detective Inspectors, who work at Police Scotland. They are the French and very gorgeous D. I. Luc Calanach,
Nigel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
In brief - Overly violent in places for me but a decent read and I'd read the next one.

In full
The outline blurb of this book looked interesting. Police from Edinburgh are investigating the discovery of a burnt body in the Cairngorms. This may relate to a missing person enquiry in the city. Luc Callanach is in charge. He is part Scottish and part French and has only just started working in Edinburgh. He is a Detective Inspector. It's one of those stories where we know who the murderer is very
Janet
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect Remains is the first title in the DI Callanach series. Set in Edinburgh, Callanach is an ex Interpol agent who has recently moved to Scotland to work as a DI. With a past he is reluctant to talk about he is tasked with trying to solve the murder of a lawyer who was left burnt in the Scottish mountain highland. So little is left that it becomes difficult to even identify the victim with only teeth and fragments of cloth to go by.

Early on in the book we know who the murderer is as his
Karima chermiti
Detective inspector Luc Callanach is starting anew in Edinburgh as the leading investigator in missing persons case but the transition from Interpol to this new team is not as smooth as he envisioned yet that’s the least of his problems because before he has the chance to prove himself the case he’s working on escalated to a murder investigation and the killer they’re trying to catch is always one or two step ahead of them. But when other women start to get missing in the same way as the first ...more
G.J.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Wow, I am surprised at just how much I enjoyed this book ! If there were half stars then it would be a 4.5* simply because I disliked some of the graphic violence. I did however love the characters,both Luc Callanach and his sidekick Ava Turner were very well drawn, the main plot held my interest and the sub plot in addition to several unexpected twists kept me reading for far longer than usual ! Great, easy but gripping read !
Samantha Gonsalves
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and compelling book, Perfect Remains is a great start to new series I've been wanting to read for a very long time.
Denise
Sep 06, 2018 added it
This police procedural, the first in a series featuring Detective Inspector Luc Callanach, is truly the definition of a gripping suspense crime thriller.

"How is life as a French-Scottish former Interpol agent in the wilds of Scotland?"

Life for DI Callanach is busy. He's not even unpacked his new office when he's called to attend the discovery of a completely burnt body found in the Cairngorm Mountains. Forensics indicate that the remains are those of Elaine Buxton, a lawyer from Edinburgh who
Sally Whiteside
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous start to a series. I have been listening to this on audiobook and I love it and all its characters. Superb book and I am so looking forward to hearing the next installment from Helen Fields.
Crime by the Book
Review/rating to come!! I read this book in (basically) one sitting on a flight. It's definitely VERY gory - I perhaps could've done with more psychology and less gore - but it's completely engrossing.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A new voice in crime fiction. A serial killer with no mercy. A French/Scottish Detective with flaws and fabulously set in Edinburgh. Off to a good start! Full review to follow.

• The Picture On The Fridge
  • Satya
  • Her Name Was Rose
  • Kwijt
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • Zwarte Ziel
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • Noordkaap
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Het bloemenmeisje
  • Ongenadig
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers #4)
  • Wrong Victim  (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 3)
  • You Let Me In
  • Louise
  • Gebroken glas (Kathleen Verlinden, #9)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)

D.I. Callanach (6 books)
  • Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)
  • Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)
  • Perfect Silence (D.I. Callanach, #4)
  • Perfect Crime (D.I. Callanach, #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
“It was the human condition: the need to know the worst, the destructive desire to see how it feels when you hit rock bottom.” 3 likes
“I have a better idea now of the limitless pain with which we can be tested. It” 0 likes