Start by marking “Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation (Great War Romance, #2)” as Want to Read:

Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation

(Great War Romance #2)

1917. Captain Fitzwilliam Darcy has won the heart of Elizabeth Bennet. Finally.

Then she disappears.

When tragedy strikes on the battlefield, Darcy is sent to Donwell Abbey to recover. There he is coaxed back to life by an extraordinary nurse determined to teach him how to live and love again. A woman whose uncanny similarities to Elizabeth breach his walls and invite his
Published January 1st 2017 by Spero Books

To ask other readers questions about Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey

Start your review of Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation (Great War Romance, #2)
Debbie
Shelves: jaff, 2017-jaff
4.5 rounded up to 5 stars

This is a book that's very high on the angst meter and high on the major misunderstanding meter. It's also high on the highly unlikely/virtually impossible and large number of coincidences meter.

And I challenge you to try to put it down once you start reading it.

If it's been a while since you read Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation, there are quite a few segments that recount what happened previously to jog your memory. If you've never re
Sheila Majczan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author sent me a copy of this book this morning (1/1/17) so I spent about 3/4 of the day reading it. This story was so enthralling I could not put it down. I love angst and this had enough of that, so much so, that I resented distractions as I HAD to read on.

This is the second in a series and part of what makes this a treasure it that we read firsthand accounts of how men (and women) who dedicate themselves to the service of their nation may end up with not only physical but also emotional
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
This review is for the sequel in this series and will contain spoilers for the first book in this series.

I have been mesmerized by this story for the past few days and I have to say that Ginger Monette not only met, she exceeded my expectations for this sequel! This book just took me by surprise and left me eagerly going back to read more and more until I just devoted an afternoon to finishing this story.

This story picks up right where the last story left off, as Darcy and Elizabeth have come t
Sophia
Things seemed pretty peachy at the end of first book, Darcy's Hope: Beauty For Ashes, but the reader can see the ominous clouds in a distance and they aren't just caused by the Great War. Wickham is still set on bringing down Darcy, Elizabeth is still suspected of being an enemy spy, and Darcy is going back to the front lines. This was one engaging, heart-felt story from cover to cover.

As noted earlier, this is book two. I think the reader could get by with reading this one out of order, but wou
Rita Deodato
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review initially published at:
Last year I devoured Darcy’s Hope: Beauty from Ashes in one day and the book caused such an impression on me that I considered it one of my favorites from 2016.

The only issue I had with the book was that the second volume, Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey, would only be available in January 2017 and I didn’t want to wait that long to read it.

I eagerly waited until I could read Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey, and when I put my hand
Anna
Feb 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Review originally posted on Diary of an Eccentric

Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey is the sequel to Darcy’s Hope: Beauty from Ashes, a novel inspired by Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and set during the Great War. While Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey can be read as a standalone book, I think it’s important to read them in order for a richer experience.

Picking up where the first novel ended, Captain Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet have expressed their love for one another and are hopeful abo
Anji

Before you read this wonderful book, please be aware that it's a sequel to Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes. While it can be read as a standalone book, I do recommend that you read the first volume beforehand, not just so that you understand some of the detail mentioned in the sequel, but also because it's one of the best JAFF books published in 2016! I'm going to try in this review of the sequel not to give away too many spoilers for the first book as well as for this one.

At the end of the firs
Mary
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

To say that this book was utterly compelling, intriguing and captivating is to do it an injustice.

To say that it's heartbreaking,that it will provoke a reaction in you,the reader,that will have you uttering 'oh no','yippee' and other exclamations of such joy and horror, is,again doing it a disservice.

To say that you will think the author a very clever wordsmith,in her intricate plotting and planning,in her development of the various schemes that were so intrinsically woven,so caref
Kasia Burlakoff
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a companion to Mrs. Monette’s excellent ‘Darcy’s Hope-Beauty from Ashes’. It’s a standalone story, but I would not skip the pleasure of reading Book 1 for the world.

‘Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey’ is a very powerful, romantic, suspenseful and moving WW1 story that I just couldn’t put down. The experience was heartbreaking and heartwarming the same time. Not an easy task to accomplish. It pictures the war in its ugliness and horror, but shows bravery, loyalty and sacrifice as well. U
Monica
The Darcy's Hope series by Ginger Monette has the distinction of being one of the few WW1 era Austen-inspired tales around, and is the first one I've read so far. I had the pleasure of reading the first book, Beauty from Ashes, as Ms. Monette was posting it online, and I'd been eagerly awaiting the second book. Lately, I'd think of it almost every time I was in my car; seems strange, I know, except I'm from South Carolina and our new licence plates all have "While I Breathe, I Hope" on them, whi ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
A Profound and Poignant Retelling of Pride and Prejudice

(Note: This is the second book in Ginger Monette’s Great War Romance duo, and while the author provides enough details and background for readers to learn about events from the first book, I would strongly recommend reading Darcy’s Hope: Beauty from Ashes first for complete understanding and appreciation.)

In the second book of this Pride and Prejudice retelling, Darcy and Elizabeth have just confessed their feelings and are happily anticipa
Margarita
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!!
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: JAFF, Historical Romance
A compelling and stirring conclusion to Darcy and Elizabeth's fates during this World War I epic tale. I strongly recommend that you read the first book 'Darcy's Hope - Beauty from Ashes' in order to experience the true journey these two characters take to each other.

This story works on so many levels and to try and provide a review that will give it the justice it deserves, is beyond my meager skills. The realities of war and the emotions incorporated into this story were poignant and visceral
Angela Withrow TheArdentReader
I count myself as very lucky to have read this book a bit early thanks to a copy from the author. I have finished my review for this book. It is not easy to put into words how this book made me feel, because it most certainly did!
The writing is phenomenal! The story is new and exciting and our favorite people are all here! I will be back soon! But I will say, I absolutely loved this book!
Our lovely couple, Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy have come to an understanding, and they are happy
ana darcy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
Elizabeth is in England, in Pemberley, waiting for her fiancé Captain Fitzwilliam Darcy. She is happy and excited, she loves Fitzwilliam and he loves her back, still and after everything that has happened. However, one morning, the always lovely Mrs. Reynolds bring Elizabeth the newspaper and a letter from a “dear friend”. Everything changes, Elizabeth has to flee Pemberley to protect the man she loves. She devises a plan and borrows some money that Darcy told her to use if needed. She is thinki ...more
Susan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
It is now 1917 and the story continues. Unfortunately Elizabeth Bennet believes she is being hunted as a spy but fortune lands her as a nurse to Captain Darcy. There are now many obstacles to prevent a happy ending, only time will tell.
I really enjoyed this story, and liked the characters, new and old. An interesting read even though we were taken through the trauma of the battlefields of the war.
I didn't feel that I was missing out because I hadn't read the first book though I think it would p
Susanne
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Darcy and Elizabeth are finally in love, and he sends her to Pemberly while he takes on a dangerous assignment. But Wickham has messed things up, and Elizabeth is accused of crimes that cause her to go underground, hiding from Darcy himself so that her "shame" will not affect his career. The Great War fights on, and Darcy is severely injured and eventually improves enough to be sent to Donwell Abbey where he is nursed back to health. To say more will give it away, but it's a wonderful continuati ...more
Lynette
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So excited to read Ginger Monette's sequel Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey having fallen in love with Darcy's Hope~Beauty from Ashes the first book in this series. The story is compelling, the characters are well drawn and faithful to JA's creation of them so many years ago. Though you do not have to be a Jane Austen fan to read this story, I enjoyed seeing this modern take on these favorite characters. Once I started reading I could not wait to read the next chapter. Kudos to Monette's writing st ...more
Karen
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I note that many reviews in Goodreads provide a summary; I am not going to do that :)

This is a gripping Pride and Prejudice variation set in challenging times. I did not read Book 1 before trying this; don't let this stop you though. There are enough details in the early chapters to fill in some of the blanks and more as the story moves along.

Kudos to the author for being able to keep the main characters in canon; not an easy task when you change the era. Would definitely recommend to all.

Discl
Stephanie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would actually prefer to give this a 4.5 star review but that is not an option (I'll explain this reason a little later in the review). I'm choosing 5 stars instead of 4 because of the quality of the writing deserves it. Now with that note here's my review:

Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey is a sequel to Darcy's Hope Beauty from Ashes and the author's goal is to have Donwell Abbey as a stand-alone read. This is the first book of the series that I've read so I can attest that the author did an admi
T
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is better written and faster paced than the first. The author has summed up what happened in book one in a few paragraphs throughout this book, so you could easily just read book two.

You do have to massively suspend disbelief for most of the major plot points. How could E manage to be so linked to Darcy? How did he not know who she was with all the clues? How did he guess early on she might be E but then just accept she wasn’t so easily? Even worse, he was willing to move on while he still
Beverlee
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the first book of Darcy’s Hope, author Ginger Monette gives us a gritty and poignant retelling of Pride and Prejudice set against the churning backdrop of the First World War. At the conclusion of Beauty from Ashes, all seemed well as Elizabeth was heading to Pemberley to await Darcy’s return from the theatre of war for his Christmas leave. But during war, there are all too often nefarious forces afoot that ruin the soundest of plans. This is where the second novel of the two-part series begi ...more
Karen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable P&P variation. I loved how Darcy & Elizabeth were portrayed and their interactions with each other and other notable characters were well written. While it can be read as a standalone novel, it is a sequel, and some segments may make more sense if the first book is read.
amanda farmer
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Wonderful story

Love the struggle and heartbreak that Mr Darcy and Elizabeth went through to find each other. It was wrong of Wickham Dr Cleary and Caroline bingley . Keeping these two people who love one another apart of was cruel to do so.
Marie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, owned
Excellent!
The excellent and brilliantly-written Darcy’s Hope continues in the second volume of a two-book set. Such a great story, that kept me turning the pages from start to finish. I love this author. So well done. Highly recommend.
Laura Hartness
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable read, even though I began the series with Book 2! Full review to come shortly on The Calico Critic.
Becky
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Captain Fitwilliam Darcy narrowed his gaze as the steamer carrying Elizabeth faded into the twilight.

Premise/plot: Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey is the sequel to a book I reviewed earlier this year, Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes. Ginger Monette has created an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice set during 'the Great War' (World War I). While most of the first book was set in Europe--relatively near the fighting--most of this second book is set in England. The first book ended wel
Serena
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Monette’s settings and characterizations are in line with the time period, when women were gaining ground in male-dominated roles and expectations of marriage as the only option beginning to wane. The tension between Lizzy and Darcy has dissipated somewhat as they face new challenges outside their control, and they must not only learn to make their own decisions but also bear in mind how those decisions could impact the ones that they love. Darcy’s Hope at Donwell Abbey by Ginger Monette is a so ...more
Griselle
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Finish

This book was a perfect finish to the previous one. The author did a great job connecting parts of history to the story line. I recommend reading both books.
Rachel Collins

• Accusing Mr. Darcy
  • Headstrong: Book One: Improvise
  • Headstrong: Book Three: Overcome
  • Headstrong: Book Two: Adapt
  • The Keeper: Mary Bennet's Extraordinary Journey (The Bennet Wardrobe Book 1)
My life took a sharp turn in 2012. It seemed all at once my children grew up. And I discovered writing...

I'd been working at a homeschool consignment store, and because Pride & Prejudice is common fare for high school reading, we sold a lot of copies. My colleagues could not believe I had never read the book or seen the movie.

My boss loaned me the movies, and a few days later I slid the 2005 vers

Great War Romance (2 books)
  • Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation (Great War Romance, #1)