Start by marking “Night Shift” as Want to Read:
Night Shift

Night Shift

With stunning black and white illustration and deceptively simple text, author and illustrator Debi Gliori examines how depression affects one's whole outlook upon life, and shows that there can be an escape - it may not be easy to find, but it is there. Drawn from Debi's own experiences and with a moving testimony at the end of the book explaining how depression has affec ...more
Published January 12th 2017 by Hot Key Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Night Shift was a short, but very powerful read. It is about the author's real-life experience of living with depression as an adult. Instead of lists and speeches, the book is illustrated using dragons as a form of representing depression. As someone who has been diagnosed with depression, I could relate to this book in so many ways. There are moments where life and the world can be a dark and scary place. This book is much-needed and I really hope that more books like this are written and publ ...more
If you have ever suffered with depression then you'll already know exactly how hard it can be to put your feelings into words to try and explain to other people what you're going through. It's something I still find really hard to discuss even with family members and close friends who see me living through it day by day.

In Night Shift Debi Gliori has used her own personal experience with depression to create moving pieces of art that really capture how depression can feel, the way it isolates yo
Megan Webb
This book puts it all into words. It perfectly describes the struggle that is living with depression, which is extremely hard to do. Debi Glori portrays her personal experiences with this illness to show the isolation and the feeling of loneliness that depression can cause. Even though everyone’s experiences are different, I found this book hard to read without relating my own personal experiences to the images and few words that are in this book. It can help others to understand what may be goi ...more
Luna
I’m not sure how to review Night Shift without making it personal. Stories that focus on depression are, much like depression themselves, deeply personal. I can’t read this book, look at the illustrations, without making comparisons to my own experiences. So sometimes I will think “yes this is me” and other times “no I don’t feel like that”. Depression is unique to the individual and while traits can be shared or similar for many I don’t think it’s possible for one story to ever be universal.

Thi
Claire G
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book describes how I feel. So much it almost makes my heart ache. I suffer (I hate that word) with depression and anxiety.

I'm going to make my mum read it also, she doesn't always understand how I feel and I'm hoping this will help
Eve Leuzinger
This book took every expectation I had and exceed it times and times again. This short story details a women's journey through depression through the imagery of battling dragons and finding a new centre of calm.

Depression and mental health are a complex but relevant issues for teachers at the moment; and this book helps both teachers, parents, other staff and children understand the feelings and confusion these conditions can create. Dragons, fog and feathers all have larger symbolism than the
Mathew
It is worth beginning this review by acknowledging Gliori's piece at the back. Her open and honest recount of her ongoing battle with depression explains the metaphorical approach that she has taken in this picturebook. She explains how depression can be so debilitating that there are no words to describe it and so images must do instead.
In Night Shift (shift meaning both a time of darkness and a movement from one phase to another) Gliori's dragons are not menacing or evil but they are black an
Erin Murray
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Eve Leuzinger
I thought this book was an incredibly insightful book about depression. I think it was an incredible book and the author used her own experiences to make the text authentic. The book covers a challenging topic within mental health that is hard to put into words. The dragon within the story was an excellent metaphorical way to picture the struggle and power of depression as it physically shows the power difference and the extent to which it can affect somebody. I've never come across a picture bo ...more
Rebekah
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book was recommended to me after a discussion I had with someone about how much I loved “The Red Tree” by Shaun Tan and I’m so glad I got to read this as well. A deep, thought provoking book that I think would be great for adults as well as children. I think everyone could take something from this book, I know I did.

The focus on mental health among children these days is a great context for this book to be used in. It can encourage important conversations. It could also help those struggli
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Allen & Unwin for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
An absorbing portrait of depression and hope.

The first clue that this isn't your average picture book comes from the cover and size of Night Shift. At A5 size and with a rich-feeling cloth-bound cover, it's obvious from the off that this isn't necessarily a book a child might pick up. Fans of fantasy will be drawn to the dragon on the front cover and will be rewarded throughout because Gliori has chosen to rep
Gabrielle Sandford-Marshall
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This visually-stunning text is a difficult but wonderful read for children and young adults. This picture book portrays depression as a dragon, who arrives during the night and day for the young girl who is the protagonist in the text. The use of metaphor, idioms and figurative language provides many learning opportunities in primary English. Due to the emotive themes, this is likely to be used in upper KS2. I’d highly recommend this text based on its English and PSHE opportunities.
Katie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This stirred me. It was very quick to read but I was also very quick to relate to Gliori's illustrations.
Sonaksha
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received this as a gift from a friend who clearly knows me too well. Just looking at the cover I knew I was going to love it and I'm so happy to report that I did. As someone who works a lot with visuals and mental health and the intersection of those spaces, it is always interesting to see how people express their thoughts and feelings of living or having lived with a mental illness.

However, it could also potentially be a triggering book, so tread with caution if you're struggling with your me
Zoe
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the messages behind this text very thought provoking because the narrative is powerful in terms of the language used and the images are also dark and questionable. I like how the author has included some key messages in the narrative, for example, 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again'- this made me think of the British Values which are taught in school and the idea of persevering and giving it your best go!
I felt as if the main character was being swallowed up by her fears and
Sophie Freeman
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn’t use this book for teaching children explicitly. Instead I would use it as a support to my own understanding of children’s actions and how to access their emotions.

Instead I would use it to support a child that may be struggling with emotions and potential feelings of depression. Showing how these feelings are not unique to them and therefore manageable.

The book provides meaning and illustration to their feelings that may seem overwhelming.

It would help as a reminder to myself on un
Becca
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I bought this a while ago and have read it a couple times since then, but kept forgetting to put it on here. This is a fantastic book about how it can feel to live with depression. My mental health is suffering a little bit more than usual at the moment and this book has been a comfort. It's nice to know someone has the words/illustrations to describe it. It can make it a smidge less lonely and overwhelming.
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Short and (Bitter)sweet
Arty Art: 50 Shades of Gray
Bonus Factors: Mental Illness, Author’s Note
Relationship Status: You’ve Got a Friend in Me

Read the full book report here.
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Important, Moving and Encouraging!!!

The few images and words are very powerful and relatable to those who suffer with depression. I am speaking from someone who suffers myself with sever depression and anxiety and this book was like peeking into me and seeing me and knowing bu yet offering hope and comfort.
Rachyy Lajeahh
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an amazing and beautiful book. I am able to relate to it so so much with my mental disorder too. Highly recommend.
Steph
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nt-library-books
I love the illustrations & how few words there is. Many feel a depth of despair, or inadequacy, or loneliness, or any other negative emotion that leaves them with a loss for words, and Debi Gliori portrays this beautifully in Night Shift.
Alexa
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
While I do wish there had been a narrative to follow, I appreciated how Gliori illustrated depression and the situations that accompany it and how it is faced by many people. It was relatable, in that way, which is something that I feel is important to anyone who has ever felt the same and finds it difficult to articulate.
Brittany
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life, psychology
Spot-on depiction of depression and what simplicity and gratitude can change and pull us out.
Libobliz
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a brave and significant book that is both beautiful and terrifying in its depiction of depression. Truly one of those occasions where pictures can convey meaning far beyond the written word. Using the recurring image of the dragon and, in her own words, their ‘ability to turn a fertile realm into a blackened smoking ruin’, Debi weaves a powerful visual narrative depicting the cycle of living through a depressive illness.

The pocket sized format and the muted palette make this an intimate rea
Mere
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Annie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing picture book that depicts the author's struggle with depression. The author found this picture book was the best way to communicate her condition with others when she felt it difficult to explain in words - with the clever use of dragons that is used as a metaphor because of their common profile in other stories where they tend to be quite monstrous and pick fights with smaller creatures. I admire the author of this book as she doesn't let depression eat away at her, she ackno ...more
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Excellent. A well-done example of what having depression can be like.
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
Rating and review to come

Rating? 4 stars

Illustrated children's story sent to me for review

Wonderful illustrations and great message

~~~~~~

Rating: 4.5 stars

Full Review Here: http://livthebooknerd.blogspot.com/20...

I was sent this stunning picture book for an honest review from Hot Key Books and I'm so glad that they contacted me to read this. This book is so inspirational and it revolves around such an important topic that should be discussed with all age groups.

Night Shift is a gorgeous pictur
Lara
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I saw this cute little book while browsing the shelves in the library. Although I wouldn't have picked it up if it weren't for the cover I stayed because of the deep meaning. Thankfully I have not suffered from depression but like everyone have faced depressing times. Anyone and everyone who reads and explores this book further can take something away from it. Instead of listing facts and figures, this book shows depression in the form of dragons. It is quite beautiful and the drawings add an el ...more
Kate
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
Nick Swarbrick
An easy read at one level, and at others quite a challenge. Soft blacks and greys illustrate the relationship between the narrator and her depression and destructive thoughts, shown as a dragon. Read in five minutes, and not unlike the black dog imagery (e.g. http://www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/bla...), this is raw, tender stuff, and reduced me to tears.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
  • Alpha. Abidjan-Gare du Nord: Abidjan-Gare du Nord (Hors collection)
  • I Am Rebecca (I Am Not Esther, #2)
  • Dreaming the Bear
  • The Rough Patch
  • Nettie's Trip South
  • Night Vision
  • Celebritrees: Historic & Famous Trees of the World
  • Station Zero (Railhead, #3)
  • The Creeps
  • Get Over It!
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • Peace
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1
Debi Gliori (born 1959) is a Scottish author and illustrator of children's books.
She grew up as an only child in Glasgow, and when young began drawing and writing stories. She started writing children's books in 1976, and attended art school in Edinburgh from 1979 to 1984. She then received a travelling scholarship award to go to Milan, and worked as a freelance from 1984 onwards.
She is the author