Start by marking “Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes” as Want to Read:
Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes

Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes (Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  837 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Join Father Grim and his shady cast of characters on an exploratio n of the dark underbelly of childhood. Darker adaptations of familiary nursery rhymes.
Published February 25th 2015 by Baby Tattoo Books (first published August 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes

Jim
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark, dark, dark.

Yet fascinating.

These are the nursery rhymes that will keep you up at night.

I'm going to look for Gris Grimly's other books.
Jessica Bonanni
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I ever have children, I'll probably read them stories like these so one day they too can appreciate the dark and twisted side of children's nursery rhymes.
Chris
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
Grade level: 2nd-4th

Summary: Nursery Rhymes that are a little twisted with kid friendly spooky and gross illustrations.

Review: This book is one I would only really recommend for the more mature students in a class. It does have somethings that I guess might be considered scary for some kids, but overall I think it's kid friendly. Just not something you would give someone under the age of 7 perhaps?

In class uses: Teaches kids the importance of being kind to animals, why we shouldn't play with ma
David Edmonds
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do love Gris Grimley's art, and his Gris Grimley's Wicked Nursery Rhymes is no exception. Here, Grimley takes familiar nursery rhymes such as "Little Miss Muffet" and "Jack Be Nimble" and turns them upside down, giving them a decidedly darker and twisted flavor. His accompanying illustrations are just as deliciously dark and twisted. These are definitely not your childhood nursery rhymes, but are perfect for anyone who enjoys things just a little bit macabre.
Annie
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-614
Personally, I have always liked creepy, scarier stories. This one in particular makes nursery rhymes much darker and spookier! I loved it! I think a lot of my students would enjoy reading these as well, because some prefer more intense books that include really good illustrations! As a child, I would absolutely love this book. The pictures are brilliant and I loved every page!
Hannah
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the freakest childrens book I have EVER read! It has things like "E is for Ernest, who choked on a peach." and "B is for Basil, who was maled by a bear." AHHHH, if that scares you should see the pictures! ANd yet it is SO cool, I'd recommend it for teens but not for children.-little ones-
Comatherapy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i've met mr. grimly 4, maybe 5 years ago and hung out with him on many occasions. the man is every bit as cool as his books. this book was my introduction to gris' writing and art, and it's absolutely my favorite spin on nursery rhymes! .. read more, his work is amazing!
Angelica
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Originally bought this book for my son. I think he was a bit too young at the time for it. So, I picked it up myself. It was a wonderfully twisted whimsical take on classic nursery rhymes. The art work was a splendid hybrid of cutesy and creepy
Marie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Creepy fun with excellent art work. Classic nursery rhymes deviate into darker cautionary tales. The text probably hangs more closely around a three star rating with some tales being more clever or better rhymed than others, but I love the art work enough to give it a four.
Helen
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic - every time I pick up something from Gris Grimly I am horribly surprised by how amazing his artwork is. This collection of Nursery Rhyme re-tellings doesn't disappoint!
Coleman Concannon
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
lovable addition to mod children's goth lit; but also not too original. Rhymes obvious. Art great.
Rosie
Jul 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
How do u get the book on here? Can u buy it?
Joleen
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Awesome! Nursery rhymes reworked! Works for me. They say nursery rhymes were evil...well, this book, and the sequel make them tame. But I enjoyed them!
Matt Richter
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, art, young-adult
delightfully, shockingly, wicked with fabulously dark illustrations. i'd never read these nursery rhymes to children tho.
Robin
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love the Father Grim illustration. All the rhymes are twisted and warped in a wonderfully wicked way. Teens will appreciate the dark parody and the illustrations.
Christine
Jan 24, 2017
Shetty Akshay
Oct 16, 2017
Amy Martin
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2014
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Aïda
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
Gris Grimly is an artist and storyteller who is based in the Los Angeles area best known for his darkly whimsical children's books.
More about Gris Grimly...

Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes (3 books)
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes II