Start by marking “The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)

The Sand Warrior

(5 Worlds #1)

The Five Worlds are on the brink of extinction unless five ancient and mysterious beacons are lit. When war erupts, three unlikely heroes will discover there's more to themselves and more to their worlds than meets the eye. . .

The clumsiest student at the Sand Dancer Academy, Oona Lee is a fighter with a destiny bigger than she could ever imagine.

A boy from the poorest sl
Published May 2nd 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Sand Warrior, please sign up.
Erin Decker I would say 4th through 6th graders would be most interested in this book.

Krista Regester

-Slightly Boring
-Confusing
Jay G
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I was sent a copy of this in exchange for my honest review*

2.5/5 Stars

5 Worlds are in danger and the only way to save them is to light the beacons associated with each world. Three unlikely heroes, Oona, An Tzu and Jax must work together to light the beacons before its too late.

I found the plot to be a bit slow overall although confusing at some points. I did enjoy the art style and
Jessica
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since you are all well aware of my obsession with Middle Grade fiction at this point, let's go ahead and skip that. Can we instead please focus on the growing existence of Middle Grade graphic novels? I am so pleased that there are more and more of these out there, and I'm determined to champion all of them! Kazu Kibuishi's blurb had me from the moment I saw this book. So I was thrilled when I was asked to join the blog tour. Warning: there's some gushing ahead. Let's go ahead and get the small ...more
La Coccinelle
It looks like I may have found a new graphic novel series to binge on. The Sand Warrior opens up a great big complex world of storytelling possibilities. The worldbuilding and artwork are so well done that I felt completely immersed in the story.

For a middle-grade title, the plot is fairly complex. Oona is a sand dancer, which, as far as I can tell, is some sort of magician who can create and command forms out of sand. She's not a great sand dancer, though, so when it falls to her to help save t
Carina Olsen
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. While it wasn't perfect, it was a great read. I'm giving this graphic novel three stars, as I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. I'm curious about the next books, though. The artwork in this book is stunning. Will be full color, but wasn't that in the ARC. It was still gorgeous, though. Loved all the drawings.

This book was a fast read, and I loved that. Though I do wish it had been longer, as I liked the story a lot. There are five worlds in this story. And I'm curiou
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is something so fulfilling about experiencing a brand new world. The author created a unique and complex world that makes sense and is entertaining. The characters reflect our reality (race, poverty, illness, privilege) but have an added notch of something different and fantastical. There is no harmful content that I noticed. It has the Chosen One trope, which I personally like. It wasn't too unpredictable, but it does have fun twists and turns. I'm looking forward to the next volume!
Celeste_pewter
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm still very new to the idea of graphic novels, so am always eager to try new titles. So when I was given the opportunity to read 5 Worlds: The Sand Warrior, of course I said yes.

In many ways, 5 Worlds felt like a nice mix of The 5th Element and Doctor Who, when a young dancer, a street urchin, and an illegal android are brought together, in circumstances that are of course, going to lead them on an epic adventure to save the world.

The story is thrilling for those who are looking to go on an
Colona Public Library
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of Avatar the Last Air bender, I think it's the one person with all the sands, young friends going to save the day (view spoiler) and when she became a guardian reminded me of when Aang was with a water spirit. It's got some similar vibes going on but its easily it's own thing. The art in this book has a nice style and is beautiful. The pacing of the story is a little quick but they manage to make the world building authentic. In the next issue I'm hoping th ...more
Jasmine
My little brother handed me this book (he's 10) and told me it was full of adventure and I would like it, and he's right. An evil mimic! Plant-people! Clumsy bottom-of-the-class-folks finding out they're talented! Invasion! An android! Sportsball! Saving the world(s)! Space ship shuttles between moons! Kids with terminal curses! Missing sisters! This book has it all, and good art too.

Not a stand alone title, very much introducing the world and characters rather than bringing arcs to a close.
Francina Simone
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiul and I loved the plot. A little confusing in the beginning but smooth sailing after chapter 3/4

Mehsi
This was just absolutely magical! Can't wait for book 2 to come out, I need more Oona and the sand warriors and this world, and ahhhh.

5 worlds, all of them on the brink of extinction, all of them waiting for that one person who can save them. It is up to 3 amazing, sweet, great characters to save their worlds, will they be able to do it? Especially when the war breaks out (oh no) and they are being followed and hunted threatening everyone around them?

But first the book starts calm and pretty no
Christine
A fun read for a graphic novel. Lonely girl makes friends, overcomes her shortcomings, saves the worlds and finds her long lost sister. Too bad I had a hard time making out the shaded illustrations and why oh why do they make the typeset so small?
Julie Kirchner
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my type of book, but I can see it being extremely popular with my graphic novel lovers, especially those who love Amulet. There is a lot going on: fantasy/sci-fi, adventure, good vs evil, sports star as main character. I'm not sure all kids will be able to follow what is going on, but I know many will love it. I will be curious to see how this series plays out.
Cassie Stever
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5

this book was so much fun and the illustrations were beautiful! i really love the aspect of friendship in this story. excited to continue on with the second book. ☺
Michele Knott
Complex story, one you will want to pay close attention to as you read.
Great adventure and mystery. Big cliffhanger.
Hand this to fans of AMULET.
Cortney (cortingbooks)
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mini Me Rating
Mercedes McLean-Wheeler
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this book is beautifully complex. The world building, the characters and their development, the art. This is an incredible story in a similar vein as Avatar: The Last Air Bender and Amulet.

This is one of those books that makes me wish that I had never given anything a 5 star rating before so that when I gave it a 5 star rating it would really indicate how much I loved it.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2017.
The Carrion Librarian
This would make an amazing studio Ghibli movie.
Nori
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Finally, a book worthy of recommending to kids who loved the Amulet books. There were undertones of Nimona and little nods to Avatar the last Air Bender. But, also, this was its own awesome story. I can't wait for more people to read it.
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...

I am always amazed when I read a book and the concept is so unique and well-crafted that I am in awe of every page and cannot predict anything that is coming. The Sand Warrior did just that. The Siegels have created a whole new world (well, five worlds, and I do really appreciate them including a map of the world at the beginning of the book to help the reader navigate) as their setting which allows for infinite possibiliti
Lena
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-mg, graphic-novels
Gahhh, that ending! *dies*

I need the next book and it's not out yet. It's just cruel to end a book that way. *sniffle sniffle*

That aside...I loved this one. The illustrations were top-notch, the villains were fierce, creepy (the prince...shudder), and sympathetic though you don't know all their reasons yet.

The main character is your typical reluctant princess/underdog and her scrappy sidekicks have their own stories, too, so you really love them. There's a good twist at the end, and lots of fee
Khailan
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly beautiful artwork, world, story, and characters. Lovely world building and exciting story. I can't wait to read the next one! I love the depth of detail, and it inspires that which all worthwhile stories must: the urge to ask, "And then what happened?" (- As Neil Gaiman said in the intro to "Stories: All-New Tales")
Aaron
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to a new world inspired equally by Avatar: The Last Airbender, Studio Ghibli, and the mystic SF comics of Jodorowsky and Moebius, though never feeling like a rehash or imitation. Can't wait for the second volume to come out!
Samantha Small
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cool premise, kind of like a mix between Avatar the Last Airbender and the Amulet graphic series! Definitely interested in seeing where the next volume takes us! Also the artwork/world is so beautiful and interesting XD
Rebekah
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR FOR MORE????????????

Say it aint so! This novel was a DELIGHT - breathtaking art with engaging storytelling. I can't wait for more!!
Joshua
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-graphic
A fun grand adventure tale. Though it follows some tropes (chosen one who doesn't think shes special at first, etc.) its still a fun story. Definitely a new series to recommend for fans of Amulet.
Jae
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some positives: I like the art, and the plot and world building are interesting and engaging.

HOWEVER, I feel like the society is pretty obviously replicating a lot of our systemic racism in a way that isn't remotely subversive, or at least hasn't yet revealed itself to be. Like really a class of people who are a different color and treated like a different species in all of the garbage collecting and service roles? Dark sand is dangerous and white sand is good? And I'm mad about it because I don
Ken Yuen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first volume, I feel like this suffers from fantasy world overload. There's too many goobaly gucks that need majinking in the flabberator. A bunch of stuff is thrown at the reader, and the pacing of the story is too quick to develop any one idea, situation, or character to the degree that I wish it does.

To be fair, it starts to come together toward the end of this volume, and stuff that's seeded earlier is picked up again.

Overall it feels kind of Avatar the Last Airbender in some aspects
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Siegel, Mark and Siegel, Alexis The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds #1) 250 pages. Random House, 2017. $17.99. Language: G ( 0 swears) ; Mature Content:G; Violence: G. GRAPHIC NOVEL

There are five worlds, with five different races, each world suited to each race. Their habitats are breaking down and some believe that is due to the fact that each planet has not been able to light its ancient beacon. The mother world, the largest, house's a magical group of sand dancers, they believe they have a special per
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Star Scouts
  • One Trick Pony
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Sparks!
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Le Château des étoiles 1869 : La Conquête de l'espace - Vol. 1 (Le Château des Etoiles, #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • NewsPrints
Mark Siegel was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, grew up in Paris, France, and now lives in New York. A graduate of Brown University, he is the author and illustrator of several award-winning picture books, including the graphic novel, SAILOR TWAIN, and the 5 WORLDS series. Mark is also founded First Second Books—Macmillan's prestigious graphic novel publisher.

5 Worlds (4 books)
  • The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds #2)
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds Book, #3)
  • Untitled (5 Worlds #4)